Author Topic: Zip cars, work, relocation - temporarily  (Read 1566 times)

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
Zip cars, work, relocation - temporarily
« on: May 22, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
We decided to buy a car/SUV as we will anyways end up requiring two vehicles in long term. I have cleared the original questions..

For Zip car, it seems like the one way is possible only in MA and not possible for interstate.

Thread closed.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:10:51 PM by Trying2bFrugal »

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Zip cars, work, relocation - temporarily
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:16:30 AM »
How many miles from your place to  your wife's (I guess she is staying in some type of short term housing in MI...?)?  Are trains and or buses (Greyhound/Megabus/Amtrack) an option?

Since she's got the wheels, can she visit you?

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 11:52:24 AM »
Its been 10 years since I was carless and renting cars for weekends so... ZipCar was an expensive option if its going to sit idle once at the destination. The plus side was the pick up locations were convenient and no paperwork once you were signed up. The cheapest option was finding a regular car rental agency (Enterprise) that was not downtown or at the airport, so no extra taxes. I found a location at a car dealership that was closed on Sundays and didn't open until 8AM Monday. I would pick up on Friday and as long as the keys were dropped off before they opened I only paid for 2 days.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
How many miles from your place to  your wife's (I guess she is staying in some type of short term housing in MI...?)?  Are trains and or buses (Greyhound/Megabus/Amtrack) an option?

Since she's got the wheels, can she visit you?

I live in Michigan, she live in Ohio. 170 miles. She is going to share as roommate on short term with no lease agreements.

Bus (GreyHound or Megabus) and trains takes very long hours, so rules out.

Its been 10 years since I was carless and renting cars for weekends so... ZipCar was an expensive option if its going to sit idle once at the destination. The plus side was the pick up locations were convenient and no paperwork once you were signed up. The cheapest option was finding a regular car rental agency (Enterprise) that was not downtown or at the airport, so no extra taxes. I found a location at a car dealership that was closed on Sundays and didn't open until 8AM Monday. I would pick up on Friday and as long as the keys were dropped off before they opened I only paid for 2 days.

Yes. There is one way zip car option but what I dont know is whether I can take in one state and drop it in other state. So I just pay for 4 hours including gas ($50?).
Currently took rental on regular car agencies, its $45/day (inc taxes) without Insurance.