Author Topic: zillowsestimate  (Read 2052 times)

luigi49

• Bristles
zillowsestimate
« on: July 11, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »
Is there anyway I can remove the history of how much I paid for the house. 

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
Re: zillowsestimate
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
I believe it is public record, which would mean no.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 03:33:28 PM »
how come my neighbor who bought his house same time I did does not have price history on his. 

redhead84

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »
I think this depends on your state. Where I live, the purchase price is public record. I can look up the purchase and tax history for any property on the local tax assessor website. I know that other states do not make this information public.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 03:18:50 AM »
How long ago was this?  If very recently, maybe their documents haven't cleared.  If a long time ago, maybe the records weren't complete.

And how close is this neighbor?  I believe Zillow still doesn't cover every county in Michigan.  I lived near the county line, so my neighborhood was fully covered, but one we can see from our back door had no info.

And why don't you want this to be made public, anyway?  Are you worried people will find out you are a shrewd bargainer?  I have had some potential buyers try to reference my purchase price when negotiating (last sold just last year, prior to moving to Ireland) but that's really irrelevant vs. current market price.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 07:03:35 AM »
I believe that the referenced information is public record, everywhere in the US. What varies is how much is put online vs. you have to go to the Recorder/Clerk's office in person to get it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 07:49:40 AM »
I believe that the referenced information is public record, everywhere in the US. What varies is how much is put online vs. you have to go to the Recorder/Clerk's office in person to get it.

Not only can they look up how much you paid for the house, the can look up how much your 2nd mortgage is too.  They can see if people who worked on the house haven't been paid and put a lien on the house.

I look that stuff up when I'm looking to buy.  Let's me know how much wiggle room they have in the price before they have to cough up cash.

Retiring_early_in_EastTN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »

Where can you look up liens?Is that online or courthouse only?

Not only can they look up how much you paid for the house, the can look up how much your 2nd mortgage is too.  They can see if people who worked on the house haven't been paid and put a lien on the house.

I look that stuff up when I'm looking to buy.  Let's me know how much wiggle room they have in the price before they have to cough up cash.

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »

Idaho does not require disclosure, and it looks like there are around 12 states that do not. I think most of the sale prices still end up on the MLS so realtors have the info. The county recorder still gets the mortgage so still plenty of junk mail with the mortgage amount listed.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »
I don't want people to know how much equity I have in the house. 

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 11:55:20 AM »
I don't want people to know how much equity I have in the house.

They know the sale price, not how much you borrowed to get it.  Of course, if you have a significant price increase since then, that could be a minimum amount.  Maybe you could talk about cash-out refi's around whoever you are trying to evade.  You will sound normal.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 12:18:38 PM »
I don't like people knowing my networth .  I am not evading anything.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 01:03:56 PM »

Where can you look up liens?Is that online or courthouse only?

I'm sure that's jurisdiction specific.   In my county, I can find it online or at the courthouse.   It's all out in the open.

You can read the amount of my HELOC online.   You won't know how much of it I've used or the interest rate, but you can read the rest of the agreement.  Ditto for my mortgage.  You can see how I initial a contract page and how I sign my name.

You can see that the prior (male) owner removed one woman's name from the deed and changed it to another's.   Could be a death in the family or a divorce. 

You may want that information to be private but you won't get much say about whether it is or not.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!