Author Topic: Your take on the kitchen of the future?  (Read 14525 times)

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Your take on the kitchen of the future?
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:19:43 AM »
Hello fellow mustachians!

I will be taking part in a panel that will be discussing kitchens and how they may change in the next few years, to next few decades.  While the other members of the panel will certainly reflect the ideals for the more typical consumer, I thought this would be a great opportunity to have your unique perspectives.

Based on the following five topics, I would love to know your thoughts on one, or all of each.  Tell me:

Do you find this idea interesting?  Why or why not?

Have you noticed this trend in the home (inside or outside of the kitchen)?  What existing products come to mind to help achieve this goal or idea?

What product/ technology/ organization could be added to a kitchen (or bathroom, or laundry room) to help with this goal?

Here are the following ideas or goals to consider:

1.  Residential kitchen spaces/ cabinetry that mirror an industrial or commercial kitchen
2.  Residential kitchen spaces/ cabinetry that is inspired by the modular and small space solutions in Asia
3.  Residential kitchen spaces/ cabinetry that helps homeowners feel they are less wasteful
4.  Residential kitchen spaces/ cabinetry that incorporates sensor technology to monitor cabinet contents and activity

And the last, isn't really mustachian, but I would still like your ideas on the topic:
5. Residential kitchen spaces/ cabinetry that reflect home-owners that eat out far more than they eat in (how would a kitchen change? what would the space prioritize?)

Please let your imagination run wild!  No idea is too outrageous! Maybe your idea isn't suited for a mustachian, but would work for a typical consumer? I want to know it all!

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts!!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: Your take on the kitchen of the future?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »
I've never understood why stainless steel countertops aren't more popular.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »
I'm with you on that!  The are super sanitary and for tidy homeowners- you can see all the crumbs on the counter tops!  Maybe they are concerned with scratches from using it as a work surface?  I haven't priced them out lately, but could they be that much more expensive than a quartz top these days to be prohibitive to a consumers budget? 

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:34:46 PM »
Hello fellow mustachians!

I will be taking part in a panel that will be discussing kitchens and how they may change in the next few years, to next few decades.  While the other members of the panel will certainly reflect the ideals for the more typical consumer, I thought this would be a great opportunity to have your unique perspectives.

Based on the following five topics, I would love to know your thoughts on one, or all of each.  Tell me:

Do you find this idea interesting?  Why or why not?

Have you noticed this trend in the home (inside or outside of the kitchen)?  What existing products come to mind to help achieve this goal or idea?

What product/ technology/ organization could be added to a kitchen (or bathroom, or laundry room) to help with this goal?

Here are the following ideas or goals to consider:

1.  Residential kitchen spaces/ cabinetry that mirror an industrial or commercial kitchen

I don't know about about mirroring a industrial or commercial kitchen, but it does occur to me that a simple oven, cook top, hood, microwave no longer meets the needs of a lot of cooks.  Gadgets have gotten so cheap, and so useful, it seems like many more of them would be incorporated into a kitchen's layout.  I'm thinking of something like you see on cooking shows, where in a relatively compact space, you have oven, cook top burners, grill top, hibachi/griddle top, fryer, sink, prep space, blender, spice rack/cabinet, etc. 

A lot of this is accomplished by modern kitchens and newer stoves (having a grill surface, or grill surface and griddle that can be interchanged), but it still seems like the appliance cabinet is underutilized.  I would like to have multiple appliance cabinets on the countertop, with mixer and blender in one, fryer in one, sous vide/crock pot in one, etc.  That way, when you need things, you don't ahve to dig around in cabinets.  You have your appliances you use often right there.  You just lift the lid, slide them out, and when you're done, you just clean what portions need to be cleaned and slide them right back and you still have a clean looking countertop.  This obviously takes up a lot of countertop space up under the normal high cabinets, but I'm not sure that space is that useful anyway, and you can always just have a deeper countertop/base cabinet to make up for it.   

This only makes sense for people that cook a lot and do different things, so I'm not sure it would be popular, but it seems like we've had a trend of people wanting high end kitchens that look like they're made for a cook, adn this would just be taking it a step further and actually making it functional for a cook, while still allowing it to be clean and attractive when not being used.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:46:03 PM »
My kitchen is about 30 years old (except refrigerator) and used daily.  I'll be "updating" it piecemeal at some point, but that'll really just be refinishing/painting some things, and updating appliances as needed.  Utility-wise, what works 30 years ago still works today, and will probably work in 30 years.  I don't really see anything new fundamentally changing the way a kitchen works in a any significant way.  The most recent kitchen invention that truly changed anything is probably the microwave.

5. Residential kitchen spaces/ cabinetry that reflect home-owners that eat out far more than they eat in (how would a kitchen change? what would the space prioritize?)
Ironically, I've noticed that the people that do the really fancy kitchen remodels tend to be the ones that cook the least.  One of my bosses just did a ~$80k kitchen remodel.  It's gigantic and gorgeous, but they almost never cook.  It's just for looks.  Dumb.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »
Thanks Ketchup, you're right that the overall nature of the kitchen probably won't dramatically change.  We'll still need to cook and store food.  The most recent industry shake-ups were in the 70's?? when an open floor plan started to come into popularity.  Beyond that, maybe an increase in accessible spaces (allowing for different abilities/ heights) to better interact with the kitchen appliances/ cabinets and work surfaces.

I used to work as a kitchen and bath designer, and I designed a number of "show kitchens."  They were decked out with the latest and greatest that were never used.  If the family did cook, they did it in a 10' X 10' kitchen in the basement. Cray.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:09:53 PM »

I don't know about about mirroring a industrial or commercial kitchen, but it does occur to me that a simple oven, cook top, hood, microwave no longer meets the needs of a lot of cooks.  Gadgets have gotten so cheap, and so useful, it seems like many more of them would be incorporated into a kitchen's layout.  I'm thinking of something like you see on cooking shows, where in a relatively compact space, you have oven, cook top burners, grill top, hibachi/griddle top, fryer, sink, prep space, blender, spice rack/cabinet, etc. 

A lot of this is accomplished by modern kitchens and newer stoves (having a grill surface, or grill surface and griddle that can be interchanged), but it still seems like the appliance cabinet is underutilized.  I would like to have multiple appliance cabinets on the countertop, with mixer and blender in one, fryer in one, sous vide/crock pot in one, etc.  That way, when you need things, you don't ahve to dig around in cabinets.  You have your appliances you use often right there.  You just lift the lid, slide them out, and when you're done, you just clean what portions need to be cleaned and slide them right back and you still have a clean looking countertop.  This obviously takes up a lot of countertop space up under the normal high cabinets, but I'm not sure that space is that useful anyway, and you can always just have a deeper countertop/base cabinet to make up for it.   

This only makes sense for people that cook a lot and do different things, so I'm not sure it would be popular, but it seems like we've had a trend of people wanting high end kitchens that look like they're made for a cook, adn this would just be taking it a step further and actually making it functional for a cook, while still allowing it to be clean and attractive when not being used.

Jrr85, this is a really interesting idea.  We have definitely become a gadget society, and access/ storage is a problematic area.  I really like the idea of finding new ways to incorporate those appliances into the design or the actual area where they would be used!  What came to mind when you mentioned this was a flip up appliance- similar to an old sewing cabinet, where the machine flips up out of the cabinet.
There is definitely a trend for being able to close off the spaces to keep these clean appearances.  There is a push for modular "zones" that fully encapsulate everything in that area, with big doors to close it off, almost like a wardrobe cabinet.
This exists on a smaller scale with appliance garages, but you are right, they take up a lot of counter space!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
I hope that stainless steel appliances are banished from the earth. They came with my current house and I'm too cheap to replace them, but they are a bitch to get and keep clean.

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 01:34:19 PM »
I have a different thought on this topic. With drones becoming more and more common I see people forego cooking almost entirely and simply order "15 minute drone delivery" from restaurants in the area. People could quickly get almost any food they want and all they'd have to do is walk to the front door. Won't even need to tip the delivery person. This arrangement would be cheaper for restaurants as well, since they would not need as much seating or have to employ bus boys, dish washers, etc.

I did a quick search and apparently it's already happening...
http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/26/technology/dominos-drone-new-zealand/

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »
I hope that stainless steel appliances are banished from the earth. They came with my current house and I'm too cheap to replace them, but they are a bitch to get and keep clean.

Lol, you are not alone in that!  Stainless steel appliances are epitomize the popular "thing" of the early 2000's.  The reaction to stainless is (at least in the industry) is starting to be as cringe worthy as suggesting an Avocado or Harvest Gold finish.  The problem is that there is no clear replacement.  Black is almost as challenging to keep streak free.  There are some stainless steal cleaners out there that are made from Unicorn tears, or something, that apparently work well, but you still have to constantly keep after it!

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »
I have a different thought on this topic. With drones becoming more and more common I see people forego cooking almost entirely and simply order "15 minute drone delivery" from restaurants in the area. People could quickly get almost any food they want and all they'd have to do is walk to the front door. Won't even need to tip the delivery person. This arrangement would be cheaper for restaurants as well, since they would not need as much seating or have to employ bus boys, dish washers, etc.

I did a quick search and apparently it's already happening...
http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/26/technology/dominos-drone-new-zealand/

That would definitely shake up life!  I can see others now "You have a kitchen? So passe".  BookValue, do you think the kitchen would take a back seat to the great room as the heart of the home?  Maybe that square footage would be dedicated to home offices so we could work longer to pay for out food budget!!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 02:12:11 PM »

Lol, you are not alone in that!  Stainless steel appliances are epitomize the popular "thing" of the early 2000's.  The reaction to stainless is (at least in the industry) is starting to be as cringe worthy as suggesting an Avocado or Harvest Gold finish.  The problem is that there is no clear replacement.  Black is almost as challenging to keep streak free.  There are some stainless steal cleaners out there that are made from Unicorn tears, or something, that apparently work well, but you still have to constantly keep after it!

Mineral oil seems to work as well as unicorn tears, but you still have to clean them ALL THE TIME. I cleaned the white appliances in my previous house only when they looked grimy, which was not very often.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
Stainless steel countertops - which I've seen at IKEA - always make me think it looks like you're planning to do autopsies, not dinner.

I was interested by an article I read last year that said that increasingly, high end kitchens include a butlers pantry, where the messy food prep is actually done, out of sight of the actual kitchen, because that's for display.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 02:25:06 PM »
I find none of these ideas appealing!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »

I agree.

More than any room in the house (other than maybe the bathroom) -- functionality is of utmost importance.

We eat almost every meal in, maybe go out once every week or two to lunch. I need lots of cooking space, functional counters, and storage for appliances, food prep, etc.

A small cute and pristine kitchen might look nice but I'd go nuts in a day if there's no space for my cuisinart or instantpot, etc.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
Stainless steel countertops - which I've seen at IKEA - always make me think it looks like you're planning to do autopsies, not dinner.

I was interested by an article I read last year that said that increasingly, high end kitchens include a butlers pantry, where the messy food prep is actually done, out of sight of the actual kitchen, because that's for display.

There is certainly something to this, especially when paired with the very popular white kitchen.  This can start to take on a very sterile and unwelcoming appearance. 

Butlers pantries are becoming more and more sized like kitchens for all they are expected to do.  The challenge is to dedicate the additional space in the home!

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »

Mineral oil seems to work as well as unicorn tears, but you still have to clean them ALL THE TIME. I cleaned the white appliances in my previous house only when they looked grimy, which was not very often.

pbkmaine, how would you feel about incorporating the appliances into the cabinetry?  There is a price factor here, but would you prefer to see them (actually not see them because they) blend in with the adjacent cabinetry? 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
This has me thinking about my ideal, money-is-no-object kitchen. I will never have this kitchen, because money is ALWAYS an object with me, but here goes:

Aga stove, in some offbeat enamel color.
White cabinets. Lots of them.
Some sort of separate microwave/coffee/appliance nook, with pantry cabinets on each side.
Separate fridge and freezer, paneled to match cabinets.
Two-drawer dishwasher, also paneled to match cabinets.
Recycled glass countertop.
Enormous dining table with a stone top, set in a window nook with a big cushioned window seat.
Dining chairs that could double as easy chairs, so that you are tempted to linger at the table for hours.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 02:34:56 PM »
Here is what I do want: an island or counter like the ones on great british bakeoff. So functional! So versatile! Love it!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
How about those things on the Starship Enterprise..what were they called? Where you just said "Earl Grey, hot." or whatever, and there was your food or beverage.

In terms of stainless steel countertops, I agree with whoever said you see too much of that in the morgue. Autopsies are done on those stainless steel tables. Bleahh.

I have a small mid-century house, with old but in-good-shape laminate countertops, and a couple of bisque appliances that need to be replaced. I almost planned for stainless steel, but am going to leave the countertops alone in their funkiness, and look for new bisque appliances. For my "kitchen of the future", I'm going retro...want some warmth and charm. In terms of supplies, workspaces, etc.--it is pretty much organized with the simple, minimalist basics. Not a lot of gadgets and junk. Nothing really "modern" per se, but very efficient and easy to cook in. Shop at Aldi, cook from scratch, eat at home.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »

I agree.

More than any room in the house (other than maybe the bathroom) -- functionality is of utmost importance.

We eat almost every meal in, maybe go out once every week or two to lunch. I need lots of cooking space, functional counters, and storage for appliances, food prep, etc.

A small cute and pristine kitchen might look nice but I'd go nuts in a day if there's no space for my cuisinart or instantpot, etc.

honeybbq- do you like how your current space accommodates your storage needs?  Do you think there is something that would make your kitchen flow more efficiently or storage more effective?

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 02:40:42 PM »
This has me thinking about my ideal, money-is-no-object kitchen. I will never have this kitchen, because money is ALWAYS an object with me, but here goes:

Some sort of separate microwave/coffee/appliance nook, with pantry cabinets on each side.
Enormous dining table with a stone top, set in a window nook with a big cushioned window seat.
Dining chairs that could double as easy chairs, so that you are tempted to linger at the table for hours.

This is really helpful!! In your dream kitchen, do you think you would want an easy way to change the look of your cabinets?  Maybe the color or glass inserts (maybe green and red for the christmas holiday, then something else for the summer for example)?

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »
Here is what I do want: an island or counter like the ones on great british bakeoff. So functional! So versatile! Love it!

Those islands are amazing!  Once you get into something that is, what, 7' long... the options abound! 

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 02:44:22 PM »
The only things, functionally, that I see lacking in 20- and 30-year-old kitchens are electrical access and garbage.

My kitchen was originally built in 1958 with two electrical outlets: one in the corner for the fridge and one by the sink because people were not thinking clearly. When I remodeled, I added like 6 more GFCI outlets, a few with USB ports.

I also have separate space/containers for municipal trash, compost, recyclables picked up by my municipality, and recyclables which need to be collected and taken elsewhere. (I hope as my area gets with it a bit over time, this will be streamlined.)

As for the small appliance issue (VitaMix, Crock-Pot, etc.), those tambour door/appliance garage things that were so popular for hiding toasters and such in the 80's and 90's are removed and thrown directly into the trash in nearly 100% of the kitchens I work on. Same with all of the desk/homework/bill paying areas integrated into kitchens at that time. Both sound like they're great ways to improve efficiency of the kitchens, and both are being eliminated in favor of plain old drawer bases and wall cabinets.

I wonder how much of that is because the VitaMix and KitchenAid stand mixers are high-class decorative elements meant to be displayed as opposed to the old plastic-clad toasters people wanted to hide away 20 years ago.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
How about those things on the Starship Enterprise..what were they called? Where you just said "Earl Grey, hot." or whatever, and there was your food or beverage.

In terms of stainless steel countertops, I agree with whoever said you see too much of that in the morgue. Autopsies are done on those stainless steel tables. Bleahh.

I have a small mid-century house, with old but in-good-shape laminate countertops, and a couple of bisque appliances that need to be replaced. I almost planned for stainless steel, but am going to leave the countertops alone in their funkiness, and look for new bisque appliances. For my "kitchen of the future", I'm going retro...want some warmth and charm. In terms of supplies, workspaces, etc.--it is pretty much organized with the simple, minimalist basics. Not a lot of gadgets and junk. Nothing really "modern" per se, but very efficient and easy to cook in. Shop at Aldi, cook from scratch, eat at home.

I feel like my life would be complete if I could get my hands on a replicator!  That's definitely where smart kitchens should be taking us!!!

And exciting news, your retro kitchen may be coming back "in" in 2017.  We are starting to see a return to some of the warmer tones, and more gray based colors that were popular in the 70's (updated however).  But cool colors are getting warm and keep and eye out, yellow is coming- gold already made it's way back into the mainstream!

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »
The only things, functionally, that I see lacking in 20- and 30-year-old kitchens are electrical access and garbage.

My kitchen was originally built in 1958 with two electrical outlets: one in the corner for the fridge and one by the sink because people were not thinking clearly. When I remodeled, I added like 6 more GFCI outlets, a few with USB ports.

I also have separate space/containers for municipal trash, compost, recyclables picked up by my municipality, and recyclables which need to be collected and taken elsewhere. (I hope as my area gets with it a bit over time, this will be streamlined.)

As for the small appliance issue (VitaMix, Crock-Pot, etc.), those tambour door/appliance garage things that were so popular for hiding toasters and such in the 80's and 90's are removed and thrown directly into the trash in nearly 100% of the kitchens I work on. Same with all of the desk/homework/bill paying areas integrated into kitchens at that time. Both sound like they're great ways to improve efficiency of the kitchens, and both are being eliminated in favor of plain old drawer bases and wall cabinets.

I wonder how much of that is because the VitaMix and KitchenAid stand mixers are high-class decorative elements meant to be displayed as opposed to the old plastic-clad toasters people wanted to hide away 20 years ago.

MudDuck, you're totally right.  I have pulled out so many of the desk niches and the tambour styled appliance garages.  Often those ended up being horrible for the consumer because they would break, or roll up inside the cabinet which then wouldn't allow a tall appliance the room it needed.  I've seen many companies go to a swinging door for an appliance garage, but it requires a lot of free space in front of the cabinet to open the door.  What do you think about an appliance cabinet that offered something like a pocket door? 
Do you see any of those "drop zone" or message cabinets going in to replace the desks that once were?  Where are people putting their phones and keys?  Should there be a spot to consolidate these items?

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 02:54:08 PM »
BTW, THANK YOU EVERYONE for your thoughts!  This is the information and conversation I was hoping for.  MMM is such an amazing community!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 02:58:02 PM »
I don't know how much "kitchen of the future" this is, but here's what I want in my future kitchen:

• Base cabinets with drawers instead of doors and shelves. This includes a drawer under the cooktop deep enough to hold large pots.
  • An induction cooktop built into (or rather, attached to the underside of) a quartz or other solid-surface countertop so that there are no seams and it can be cleaned as easily as the counter
  • Large single-basin sink, also seamlessly built into the countertop (or at least undermount with minimal places for grime to stick)
  • Simple cabinet door design with minimal moldings. Either slab-style doors or shaker-style.
  • Universal design (e.g. design features to make the kitchen usable by children, people in wheelchairs, etc.)
  • Lots of electrical outlets, installed in a strip along the underside of the upper cabinets so that the wall backsplash could be uninterrupted

I do not foresee many changes in built-in appliances, except maybe at the margins (fryers or maybe sous-vide built in to fancy gas ranges, increasing prevalence of fancy ovens with convection, infrared, microwave, etc.). Maybe some things like refrigerators will get more computerized, but in my opinion stuff like having your fridge keep track of your food inventory via barcodes (or RFID) will mostly turn out to be a gimmick.

Replicators. That'd be great, but we need to figure out how to deconstruct, teleport and reconstruct matter particle-by-particle first.

But mid-century is (or can be) "modern!" What you don't want to do is go contemporary (which is what people often mean when they say modern, but they are two different things).

I say embrace your mid-century modernness with boomerang Formica!

I could also see (enamel-painted, not stainless-steel) metal kitchen cabinets, which were popular mid-century, coming back soon.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 03:05:33 PM »
  • An induction cooktop built into (or rather, attached to the underside of) a quartz or other solid-surface countertop so that there are no seams and it can be cleaned as easily as the counter
Ooh, that would be sexy and efficient.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »
I don't know how much "kitchen of the future" this is, but here's what I want in my future kitchen:

• Base cabinets with drawers instead of doors and shelves. This includes a drawer under the cooktop deep enough to hold large pots.
  • Large single-basin sink, also seamlessly built into the countertop (or at least undermount with minimal places for grime to stick)
  • Simple cabinet door design with minimal moldings. Either slab-style doors or shaker-style.
  • Universal design (e.g. design features to make the kitchen usable by children, people in wheelchairs, etc.)
  • Lots of electrical outlets, installed in a strip along the underside of the upper cabinets so that the wall backsplash could be uninterrupted

I do not foresee many changes in built-in appliances, except maybe at the margins (fryers or maybe sous-vide built in to fancy gas ranges, increasing prevalence of fancy ovens with convection, infrared, microwave, etc.). Maybe some things like refrigerators will get more computerized, but in my opinion stuff like having your fridge keep track of your food inventory via barcodes (or RFID) will mostly turn out to be a gimmick.

Replicators. That'd be great, but we need to figure out how to deconstruct, teleport and reconstruct matter particle-by-particle first.

But mid-century is (or can be) "modern!" What you don't want to do is go contemporary (which is what people often mean when they say modern, but they are two different things).

I say embrace your mid-century modernness with boomerang Formica!

I could also see (enamel-painted, not stainless-steel) metal kitchen cabinets, which were popular mid-century, coming back soon.

I think one of the last counter tops I sold (in 2013) was a boomerang Formica pattern!

Jack you have my mind racing about how to inset a cooktop... maybe the countertop company could router the space for a glass edged cooktop to recess and be flush?  I'm not sure, I've never encountered the request before, but sounds like a cleaning dream!

I really like the electrical worked into the underside of the upper cabinets. I've seen the enameled appliances, how retro would you go?  What do you think about bringing back metal cabinets?

I see you just mentioned it!  Any particular color that your heart may have a a burning desire for in regard to a metal cabinet?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:11:46 PM by sistastache »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »
I have two cabinets with lazy susans in them--one is in a lower cabinet, and one is in an upper. They are really useful. There is a designated place on a countertop--between the Vitamix and a wall--where purse goes. (containing wallet, phone, keys). No need for a special niche. I use the kitchen table as my "command center"--small laptop, desk items--and when the family wants to sit down to a table for a meal, we go into the next room separated from the kitchen by a half-wall, and that is the dining room...with the big table most people don't use and say they don't want--but mine does get used. Yes, we actually dine in the dining room. (Not fancy pants though)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
I think one of the last counter tops I sold (in 2013) was a boomerang Formica pattern!

Jack you have my mind racing about how to inset a cooktop... maybe the countertop company could router the space for a glass edged cooktop to recess and be flush?  I'm not sure, I've never encountered the request before, but sounds like a cleaning dream!

I really like the electrical worked into the underside of the upper cabinets. I've seen the enameled appliances, how retro would you go?  What do you think about bringing back metal cabinets?

I see you just mentioned it!  Any particular color that your heart may have a a burning desire for in regard to a metal cabinet?

Yeah, I've also thought insetting a glass induction cooktop would be the best approximation until they finish inventing the undermount kind (back when I still watched HGTV, I remember seeing a show with a prototype, so they can't be that far off!). That routing job would have to be incredibly precise, though.

I would be sort of on the fence about metal cabinets for myself... but if I went for them, they would definitely need to be some sort of bright color (bright red, robin's-egg blue, lime green -- something like that). Or indeed, maybe stainless steel. Ikea has some good approximations of the look (although their actual cabinets are usually "foil finish" particleboard, not sheet metal: red, green, stainless.

However, I'd probably be more likely to chicken out (because of resale value concerns) and get wood cabinets in a lighter-colored wood with subtle grain, such as birch or maple. Something like this, probably. Although while looking up these images I found one of bright red wood, which is pretty awesome too...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »

This is really helpful!! In your dream kitchen, do you think you would want an easy way to change the look of your cabinets?  Maybe the color or glass inserts (maybe green and red for the christmas holiday, then something else for the summer for example)?

Nope. The whole point of white cabinets is that you can add a few kitchen towels and bowls in a bright color and change the look of the room. 

Not sure what I'd do for a backsplash. Hmm.

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »
This topic makes me think accessibility and efficiency. Knives on magnetic strips, pots hanging overhead, spices out on shelves above the stove... everything in reach so you can work quickly and get the job done. Also, how others have mentioned, the industrial cooktop with grill/griddle. My current house (rental) has a nice range with the oven split into two. Not sure if this is "industrial", but it is damn efficient and allows multitasking (we have 5 adults living in the house, so it is super convenient).

2.  Residential kitchen spaces/ cabinetry that is inspired by the modular and small space solutions in Asia
You could also look to the "Tiny House" movement for example homes posted here. Many of these homes have under-counter refrigerators, single or double burners that can be plugged in on the counter or stored away, butcher blocks that fit perfectly over the sink to add more prep space, etc... I also love the concept (Finnish? perhaps) where the dish dryer rack is stored in a cabinet above the sink. saves counter space, and if you put doors on the cabinet the dishes can just stay there once they are dried! I am currently building a tiny house, and I LOVE cooking, so saving space and finding creative solutions is a really interesting topic to me.

3.  Residential kitchen spaces/cabinetry that helps homeowners feel they are less wasteful
A few things come to mind. Saving space, which relates to my notes on #2, reducing waste generated in the kitchen, and proper disposal of the waste. For the second point, I probably have biased exposure on this, but I see a movement towards purchasing in bulk to reduce packaging. With this comes increased storage in reusable containers such as mason jars, which are both functional and aesthetically pleasing. Suddenly your pantry items can be on a shelf on display, and easier in reach. Also, a big source of waste for us is the fridge. Again, we have 5 adults in the house, so keeping track of produce and not letting things go bad is a challenge. Shallower fridges, perhaps, though possibly less energy efficient, would go a long way (for us) in reducing waste. Lastly, as someone else mentioned, integrated waste disposal solutions for trash, compost, and recyclables. We are really bad about composting because our trash and recycle bins already take up a lot of room on our floor, and we do not have extra counter space for a countertop bin...

4.  Residential kitchen spaces/ cabinetry that incorporates sensor technology to monitor cabinet contents and activity
Ehhhh, I've seen these concepts, particularly in hand with future auto-subscription services through amazon etc. I also work in energy research and the "Internet of things" is a big topic for my work in electronics manufacturing and data center energy consumption. So yes, we are able to cheaply slap a sensor on everything, and with the right software/apps can make some really functional services, but... I just personally am not feeling it. I think it is highlyyyy unnecessary in the grand scheme of things and could really see it making things more complicated than more simplified.

I think this relates to #2 (small kitchens) and #3 (managing waste). I think you would still want all the basics, but certainly less prep space would be required, as well as less space for gadgets (blenders, mixers, etc). Except coffee, everyone loves coffee and wants a nice little coffee station :)

Mrs Brave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »
I have not read every reply, but I know what I want in my kitchen.....unfixed stuff!

I would like a dresser for plates and stuff, and freestanding cupboards at the right hight for cooking on. The only fixed thing would be the sink.

And an old fashioned walk in pantry with a marble cold shelf.

Obviously being moustacian, I am stuck with what I have, but I would never have a fitted kitchen if I could get away with it.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 04:16:08 PM »

I agree.

honeybbq- do you like how your current space accommodates your storage needs?  Do you think there is something that would make your kitchen flow more efficiently or storage more effective?

My current space isn't bad. There are some cabinets that have frosted glass so you can see through them. But its a weird glass so it's almost puckered. I really don't like that. I want my mess hidden. I prefer no glass on the cabinets.

The kitchen is big, but not wide enough for an island. So it's sort of rectangular shaped. The best part is the long hidden cabinets along side the stove that I put my spices is. I love that. Like these: (not my kitchen)

It hides the mess and is highly functional.

But it would be nice if I could have an island. One with stools on the far side so my family could keep me company while I cook.

My fridge also doesn't have an icemaker or water spout on the front. The ice is made in the bottom pull out freezer drawer, so it's annoying to have to open the freezer to get a cube of ice.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 01:32:39 AM »
Butlers pantries are all the rage in Australia and they are the most painful things to work with.  Site it looks impressive but every time you try and make a meal you are in and out and in and out and in and out.  Annoying and time consuming.  And when the coffee machine is in there? The host spends 5-10 minutes away from the guests while making the coffees, while guests sit there twiddling their thumbs. Gah

I second (third? ) the better integration of waste disposal. I wouldn't mind a compacted for the recyclable actually.

The small appliance aspect is an interesting thought.  I personally wouldn't want a flip up solution because that sounds like a lot of lost counter top. And it could be annoying to have to clear a large area while in the middle of prep just to get at the machine I've decided I want now.

We replaced all lower cabinets with big deep drawers and it was the best decision ever. I'll never have a cupboard down there again.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2016, 02:13:31 AM »
Agree with others: once you have had drawers in your lower cabinets you will never go back to plain cabinets - no more squatting down, no more looking for things at the back of the cabinet.  Just pull out the drawer and everything is there to see and pick out.

Also, the sort of handles that are a loop that you can put your hand behind rather than having to grab.  Just make sure they are the sort without bits sticking out at each end for kids/dogs to hurt themselves on.  Why would anyone have knobs?

Undermount sinks work easiest for the cleanup, unless you have one of the fully integrated into the worktop stainless steel or corian sort.

In fact, the sort of design that works for the disabled is the sort of design which is safe and convenient for someone putting a meal together.

I don't understand why people need so many cabinets.  Haven't they Marie Kondo'd their kitchens?  It's the same principle as clothes: you use 10% of the things 90% of the time.

There will always be some people who always prepare real food from scratch and others who always have convenience food.  There will be a lot of people who think they are the first but are much closer to the second - so the kitchen has to pretend to be for the first while really being for the second

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 02:18:16 AM »
My wife and I recently decided that we were going to stay indefinitely in our current house. So we have been remodelling the kitchen to suit us for the next 20-30 years.

Here are some of the lessons we learned (and pictures).

Our design constraints where:

The house is 65 m2 (about 700 square feet).
The kitchen is 2.7 x 2.7 meters = 7,3 m2 (79 square feet).
The kitchen window could not be moved
The left hand closet had to remain due to water pipes and heating installations.

Design goals:

1. Provide ample working space for two adults. We cook a lot and we help each other
2. Give the house a modern look and make the space feel big.
3. Provide space and electrical installations for modern appliances.
4. Provide no eating-space. We take our dinners in the living room.
5. Give us some smart-home functionality.
6. Be resilient against wear and tear and easy to service.

So what did we do to achieve these goals and build our "kitchen of the future".

So what did we do to achieve this:

1. we built the kitchen in a U shape so that it follows the edge of the room all along the walls.
2. We limited the number of hanging cabinets  to just 1 wall so that we could preserve the "airy" feel.
3. We removed all wall plugs and installed corner-plugs that fold away.
4. The radiator in the room was replaced with a towel-dryer to give more space.
5. The countertop is a very strong "concrete" laminate that can stand up to water, heat and the usual wear and tear.

As for kitchen cabinets. We didn't buy the cheapest available (Ikea) since the quality was absolutely horrible. Instead we opted for mid-range cabinets that have two important features.

The cabinets are installed on feet so in an emergency a single cabinet can be uninstalled and replaced. The cabinet-fronts are "clicked" on and can be replaced in case of damage. Also we chose a classic white cabinet so we expect the color to be ok for many many years.

And finally as a little "nod" to luxury we installed a wine-cooler since we both enjoy great wines. I would not recommend this if you are not an enthusiast. They are expensive.

We also redid the floors. The floor is actually a high-strength laminate that is usually used in stores, public buildings and hotels. It comes with a lifetime warranty and can take almost any form of punishment.

One cabinet was measured out wrong and will be replaced by the manufacturer.

I have attached a few pictures and will do another post with our lighting.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 02:19:54 AM »
And here are a few shots of our Philips Hue recessed lighting system.

And of the corner sockets we have installed (includes usb charger).

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 05:48:38 AM »
+1 to the giant island tables from the great British baking show, with a shelf or two for storage.  Or, if in a small house, an island designed to go from prep to table after clean up.

We cook a lot from scratch, the long island allows two cooks: one on either side.  Bulk storage in mason jars means open wall shelving which is simply amazing. If we had unlimited funds I would have a pantry wall sized to fit them perfectly. We do just fine with the shelves we made :-)

Refrigerators need a sizing update. 10cu ft with a real freezer, or a wide refrigerator that fits under the countertop that isn't a dorm fridge. Ours is practically empty except when we have leftovers from a party.

Old homes used to have root cellars for preservation.  Finding a way to incorporate that into a small room off the kitchen, but as a part of the kitchen would be ideal. As more people grow their own food the lack of that option is limiting. We looked at a house that had a true root cellar and even though the rest of it was cheap it made me think .. because root cellar!

I would go for less cabinets, or shelves if you must.  There are few things that need to be stored out of sight and I would much rather have the open space. Plus, it would prod people to live with less. You'd need a better solution than a range hood to control cooking grease though. There has to be a better way.

Also, I hate granite. With a passion. And stainless steel. Especially the two together. 

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 06:55:59 AM »
Interesting thoughts!! With drawers on the bottom, what do you do about the corner cabinet?

My dream kitchen has cabinets that go up to the ceiling. No space to dust or decorate on top.  No appliance garages!! I want my counter space free. And if I have enough, I will keep my small appliances out. Not about status at all, just much easier to keep things clean. So many books and crannies in my mom s appliance garage and it kills her counter space.

We DO cook and eat at home, all seven of us, and we love to have people over, so if I had space I would have two wall ovens and consider two dishwashers and two trash compactor s (one for recycling).

I would have a big island, with my sink in it, under Mount and flush, for easy cleaning. Room for some stools. Walk in pantry with space for my deep freeze and bulk dry goods. Open shelves for main Mason jars. In cabinet over the cook top, many short shelves, so each baking dish had its own spot. I hate stacking and it leads to breaking. Basically smart use of the cabinet storage space.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2016, 07:20:56 AM »
Kitchens are kind of like golf clubs.  High end fancy stuff, probably won't improve your game.
Call me old fashioned, but I don't care for the typical modern kitchen with stainless appliances, white cabinets and granite tops.   And I really despise some of these silly gadgets my spouse drags home; choppers, processors, electric cork screws, programmable crock pot, etc., etc.   It's just more crap to store and clean.

To me, what is important is the basic tools, plenty of counter space to work on and plenty of cabinets for storage.

Samsam

• Bristles

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 07:49:29 AM »
i'm posting to follow ... we have a massive house with a horribly undersized kitchen.  the previous owners/ people who built the house obviously werent home cooks. the layout sucks the space is small mean while the dining room is larger than the kitchen there is an eat in nook and a sitting area in the kitchen.  i have no idea how i'm going to rework it but its gonna take some imagniation to figure out how to optimize it for actual use. 

oh and the freaking corner sink with the dishwasher beside it so you kick the damn thing b/c its open behind you... uggg so many issues with my kitchen.  i absolutely hate it right now.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 08:11:25 AM »
I have not read every reply, but I know what I want in my kitchen.....unfixed stuff!

I would like a dresser for plates and stuff, and freestanding cupboards at the right hight for cooking on. The only fixed thing would be the sink.

I feel exactly the opposite: to me, everything that's not tightly fitted and caulked into place creates a hard-to-clean crevice for dirt and debris to accumulate in.

Interesting thoughts!! With drawers on the bottom, what do you do about the corner cabinet?

Design your kitchen layout in such a way that it doesn't have a corner?

My dream kitchen has cabinets that go up to the ceiling. No space to dust or decorate on top. 

+1

Could you explain what's going on in this pic? The bottom black rectangle is an electric cooktop, but what are the other two? The top one should be an exhaust hood, but if it is, where's the hole for the air to flow in?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
Saw a refrigerator at appliance store the other day that had a TV / computer on the front of it, and you could call it up on your smart phone and a camera actually allowed you to look inside the fridge so you could see contents and figure out what you need to pick up at the grocery.   Price tag was over $4,000.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 09:09:02 AM »
Saw a refrigerator at appliance store the other day that had a TV / computer on the front of it, and you could call it up on your smart phone and a camera actually allowed you to look inside the fridge so you could see contents and figure out what you need to pick up at the grocery.   Price tag was over $4,000.

if these ever get down to reasonalbe prices that camera may not be a bad idea.  i bought a cheap Wifi security camera for my house when we were selling turned out to be invaluable to listen to the people inside b/c we got a low ball offer but knew the other couple that had just looked was putting down an offer too... so we waited then sent best and final to both and came out farther ahead. 

that camera has been doing nothing now.  i may mount it in my pantry for this specific purpose.  great idea!

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »

Could you explain what's going on in this pic? The bottom black rectangle is an electric cooktop, but what are the other two? The top one should be an exhaust hood, but if it is, where's the hole for the air to flow in?

Sure, you are correct that it is an electric cook top. The next black section is a piece of black glass that is glued to the wall. It protects the wall from grease and overspray when cooking.

The last part is an electric exhaust. If you look closely you can see an intake right in the middle of the upper quarter. There are also two intakes on the bottom along with 2 light bulbs. The steam/stuff is emitted through a pipe in the ceiling. There is also a charcoal filter installed in the unit.

You can just about make out the touch controls on the front, at least the glowing white led power button.

If you are into danish design this is practically the defacto standard for a cook top arrangement. Having lived with it for a few days now I can say that it is very practical.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2016, 09:52:28 AM »
This topic makes me think accessibility and efficiency. Knives on magnetic strips, pots hanging overhead, spices out on shelves above the stove... everything in reach so you can work quickly and get the job done. Also, how others have mentioned, the industrial cooktop with grill/griddle. My current house (rental) has a nice range with the oven split into two. Not sure if this is "industrial", but it is damn efficient and allows multitasking (we have 5 adults living in the house, so it is super convenient).

You could also look to the "Tiny House" movement for example homes posted here. Many of these homes have under-counter refrigerators, single or double burners that can be plugged in on the counter or stored away, butcher blocks that fit perfectly over the sink to add more prep space, etc... I also love the concept (Finnish? perhaps) where the dish dryer rack is stored in a cabinet above the sink. saves counter space, and if you put doors on the cabinet the dishes can just stay there once they are dried! I am currently building a tiny house, and I LOVE cooking, so saving space and finding creative solutions is a really interesting topic to me.

3.  Residential kitchen spaces/cabinetry that helps homeowners feel they are less wasteful
A few things come to mind. Saving space, which relates to my notes on #2, reducing waste generated in the kitchen, and proper disposal of the waste. For the second point, I probably have biased exposure on this, but I see a movement towards purchasing in bulk to reduce packaging. With this comes increased storage in reusable containers such as mason jars, which are both functional and aesthetically pleasing. Suddenly your pantry items can be on a shelf on display, and easier in reach. Also, a big source of waste for us is the fridge. Again, we have 5 adults in the house, so keeping track of produce and not letting things go bad is a challenge. Shallower fridges, perhaps, though possibly less energy efficient, would go a long way (for us) in reducing waste. Lastly, as someone else mentioned, integrated waste disposal solutions for trash, compost, and recyclables. We are really bad about composting because our trash and recycle bins already take up a lot of room on our floor, and we do not have extra counter space for a countertop bin...

Ehhhh, I've seen these concepts, particularly in hand with future auto-subscription services through amazon etc. I also work in energy research and the "Internet of things" is a big topic for my work in electronics manufacturing and data center energy consumption. So yes, we are able to cheaply slap a sensor on everything, and with the right software/apps can make some really functional services, but... I just personally am not feeling it. I think it is highlyyyy unnecessary in the grand scheme of things and could really see it making things more complicated than more simplified.

I think this relates to #2 (small kitchens) and #3 (managing waste). I think you would still want all the basics, but certainly less prep space would be required, as well as less space for gadgets (blenders, mixers, etc). Except coffee, everyone loves coffee and wants a nice little coffee station :)

You are totally right on the coffee station, I have seen more and more space dedicated to coffee!  I loved your suggestion on the tiny house movement- I think you are spot on with cabinets doing double duty.  As a person with some space dedicated to my own dish drying rack, I would love to get that back by dedicating a cabinet above the sink to the task, then to not have to put them away is brilliant!