Author Topic: Young accountant looking for some career/life advice  (Read 16533 times)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Re: Young accountant looking for some career/life advice
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 07:40:45 AM »
From a pure math standpoint, right before busy season is the right time to quit - not right after busy season - that way you're maximizing your average hourly wage.

This is absolutely the way I feel as well...I never understood why someone would put themselves through busy season if they knew they were going to quit. 

If you decide to stay, you're not really wasting your time or earning potential until you hit the 2 year mark without a CPA. They're not going to promote you before that, anyway. And there are plenty of people who scrabble their way to Senior Accountant without one - but I find that they're the ones who get the worst assignments and lower pay.

This depends on the firm I think...I know at least 2 of the Big 4 no longer promote to senior without a CPA.  Not sure if that's true for regional firms.

OP said they were at a smaller firm.  My firm is top 10, not Big 4,  and you can be promoted to Senior without a CPA, but cannot make Manager without it.  We've had several people who made Senior, didn't have their CPA and quit....then got it when they worked less hours in industry.  No one ever needs to know "when" you got your CPA, right? ;-)

Roman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Young accountant looking for some career/life advice
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 08:43:09 PM »
It's not for everyone and can be hard to get in, but federal law enforcement is a great career and is in high demand for accountants. FBI, SS, IRS and most other agencies want them - but you'd need to relocate for 4-6 months of training, then they may place you anywhere. Pay, work, and retirement (if you want to work to age 50) are very good.