Author Topic: You were Mustachian this *whole* time and didn't tell me!?  (Read 6681 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
You were Mustachian this *whole* time and didn't tell me!?
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:10:00 PM »
Hey guys,

Sorta piggybacking off the Millionaire Next Door thread (http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/do-you-know-any-millionaires-next-doorfirees-irl/), have any of you ended up finding out that your neighbor(s) or acquaintance(s) [or anyone you previously had some sort of relationship with before] were active MMM aficionados or members?

Hasn't happened to me (although, I have an old coworker who knew about and would briefly discuss MMM in general - he actually was pretty frugal for the most part at the end of the day. Can't say he's an active forum member though)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: You were Mustachian this *whole* time and didn't tell me!?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 01:13:43 PM »
A few acquaintances/friends of friends brought up MMM on my friend's facebook post last week, which was disconcerting.  WHO ARE YOU?!

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »
I have had a friend or two bring it up. Kind of cool!

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »
I have an acquaintance* who was interviewed on the SO Money podcast series about millionaires.  I'm not actually surprised that her and her husband have that high a net worth but I'm more surprised she put it out there for all to know as she seems like a private kind of person.  Maybe she didn't think anyone in our social circle would hear the podcast and post it to her Facebook (wasn't me).

*She's actually my husband's ex-girlfriend.  It's been a lot of years since they dated and they are both married to other people with children now but we live in the same small-ish city with overlapping social circles so it's inevitable we will be at the same party/get together or whatnot several times a year, but it's all very friendly between us.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:32:09 PM »
We were visiting my cousin in Colo. this summer and her husband mentioned MMM in a conversation about family finances, and I squealed, "OMG MMM! I love him! I freaked out when we drove through Longmont on the way here!" Cousin's DH was like, "Yeah, I'm trying to convince [my wife] that we should be more Mustachian." Cousin grunted and tried not to roll her eyes.

algebracyco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 07:58:28 PM »
I found out my older brother was a fellow MMM reader in a random way.  He was talking to his wife while I was hitching a ride about reading a guy online making his own adult beverages using juice (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/04/22/brew-your-own-cider/) and I said "I believe I read the same article".  He then asked if it was MMM and I said if you mean Mr. Money Mustache you are exactly right!

We have since used MMM as a great bonding experience between the two of us.  Our youngest brother now is envious of our "secret club" even though we tell him he can read and join along but seems to be more interested in keeping up with sports.

Kind of funny how it all came about, but doesn't surprise me as he has always been pretty frugal and is an engineer so I am sure MMM's writing style keeps him engaged.

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 08:19:45 PM »
I had a conceited windbag of a colleague who turned out to be a regular reader of MMM. I disliked him enough that I pretended I wasn't in on the secret.

I'm holding out hope that I'll find a likable MMM reader in the wild.

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »
Posting to follow.  My SO is a Mustachian, but I know no others in the wild. 

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 10:00:30 PM »
Yeah, a couple of coworkers. It was a great surprise. (If Y and F are reading this, hi guys!)

BigBangWeary

• Stubble
    • The Great Canadian Housing Bubble Co.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 03:24:26 AM »
Ever since MMM was featured in the Globe and Mail (I'm Canadian) he has come up a bit more in conversations. Not always favorably as many only skimmed the article and feel it is too 'extreme'. Still, it is nice to hear these ideas are getting to a wider audience.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 05:59:44 AM »
I know several people who read this blog IRL.

I've also converted most of my previous roommates. Though converted is a bit intense, since really all of us were financially savvy anyways.

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 07:09:21 AM »
I came across a co-worker who brought it up when we were our discussing our 'abnormal' financial attitudes compared to the others.

"There's this blog I read that I know you would love... it's called..."

"MMM?"

"Yes!"

Haha.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 07:11:58 AM »
Kind of but not really.  I was at a startup networking event, and met a guy who was an Engineer but said he was looking for something different, and didn't want the 9-5 anymore.  I said... this is a long shot but any chance you read MMM? And he said Yes!! How did you know!? It was quite a moment :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 07:46:30 AM »
Was catching up with an old grad school friend and it came up. I discovered MMM when it had been around for a year or so but he'd been a very early reader, and a longtime reader of ERE before that.

All the others I've met IRL have been through the forum.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 07:59:44 AM »
I haven't found any one who actually reads MMM, but I've come to understand that several people I know more or less embrace the principles, and that now having saved a lot of money, are working jobs that pay them much less than they made in the past but that they enjoy much more.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:02:50 AM by vhalros »

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 08:04:42 AM »
I'm facebook friends with a nice young guy who works at <large aerospace co> that was a sub to my company <different large aerospace co>, he posted something about Dave Ramsey, or something similar, and I posted "If you haven't seen the MMM blog, you should check it out" and he was like, yep, I am a reader.  He and his wife are young, and I am rooting for them to meet their FIRE goals.  I am much older, and fortunately I have always saved, but I am sure he will retire younger than I will since he is starting off at such a young age.   

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 01:37:33 AM »
There's a guy we went to school with who sometimes shares MMM blog posts on facebook. It doesn't surprise me too much as this guy is really in to cycling as an alternative to driving. I'm not sure how much else he applies to his life.