Author Topic: Yoga Teacher Training?  (Read 6793 times)

dragontaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Yoga Teacher Training?
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »
Long time reader, first time poster :)

Hi! I've been reading MMM for almost 2 years, and it was seriously one of the best things to happen to me. I was hoping that my fellow Moustachians might have some advice for me!

I graduated from a relatively prestigious university about a year ago, and am now working in an office making ~$$41,600 (before taxes) a year. I live at home, and plan on moving out when my boyfriend graduated. I save about 2.5k a month ($500 to 401k, 2k to savings for down payment, and whatever is left over after bills go to brokerage).

I've been debating taking a yoga teacher training course for a while now. The one I'm interested in (proximity, teacher, teaching style, etc.) is $3,400. I've always had a side hustle, like baby and housesitting, and I'd love to teach a few classes a week. But, that's a lot of money. I love yoga, and honestly I'd be happy if I just made back the initial investment of the course. I don't plan on this becoming my full-time occupation.

What do you guys think? Good idea, or flagrant waste of money?

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Yoga Teacher Training?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 07:03:28 PM »
How long does it take to become a yoga instructor?  What does being a yoga instructor pay?

I have a friend who teaches various fitness classes, earning anywhere from $15-$25 per class.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
I know three trained yoga teachers and none of them teach, ever. All of them paid several thousand for training like you're considering.

Have you considered the following:
1) is there demand for yoga teachers in the area?
2) is the demand for teachers at times of day when you can actually teach? I assume you have a ft job already, and sure there are evening/weekend classes but of also consider that ever other part time teacher wants to teach those. One of my friends has looked and only found some classes during the day.
3) will you be able to compete for positions with more experienced teachers? What will you do when you start out? The higher paying studios will want you to be experienced.
4) my friend was getting paid 15/class and free classes. Thats over 200 classes you need to teach to even break even.

If you want to do the training because you love yoga and want to learn more about it that's one thing, I wouldn't expect it to be a money spinner.

dragontaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:34:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely not counting on it as a source of income, although I would hope with time that I could cover the cost of training.

I don't really know what I'm looking for. Permission to spend money on myself when thats not something I typically do?

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 06:48:04 AM »
If you're looking for a yoga experience consider a weekend yoga retreat.  There really different ones for different levels.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely not counting on it as a source of income, although I would hope with time that I could cover the cost of training.

I don't really know what I'm looking for. Permission to spend money on myself when thats not something I typically do?

That's fair, if your finances are in order and you want to do it for you own enjoyment that's fine. Through 3k is a lot...I wouldn't expect to make money or even to come out even within a few years and consider the money you will be paid for those classes you teach, that's also time you're putting in.

As runhappy suggested, weekend workshops are much cheaper. One of my friends finds them often for 15-25 each.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »
If you're looking for a yoga experience consider a weekend yoga retreat.  There really different ones for different levels.

+1. I think you're more likely to get what you're looking for by going for a weekend yoga retreat once or twice per year. It'll cost a lot less, too.

I also know many yoga teachers who do not teach, but spent thousands becoming teachers.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »

Your yoga income is unlikely to cover your cost of training, however there are other reasons why yogis consider going through teacher training, as it deepens their practice.  Do you already practice at home 4-5 days a week?  If I was considering teacher training, I would first want to ensure I had the discipline to practice seriously without the benefit of a studio and a structured class.

In comparison to teaching yoga, it cost me $125 to become a certified SPIN instructor.  For almost 5 years I taught two 45 minute classes each week for $30/class.

That said, I'm very grateful for all the yoga teachers who have dedicated themselves to teaching yoga. 

index

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »
My wife went did her 200 hour training and is going to do her 500 hour soon.

When you break it down, that $3400 for the 200 hour class works out to be $17/hr. A lot of the time the studio will let you take free classes for the 6 months you are taking training so it might not be that bad of a deal. Think of the training more as advancing your practice and not to make money.

The yoga teachers we know (2 own their own studios and do it full time) joke that its a passion and you can't make any money.

As far as making money teaching, my wife picks up a few classes a month for a teacher that needs a sub. Pays about $20 a class. She also teaches a large class once a month at different micro breweries around town an it pays $75. Yoga income covers the cost of having a studio membership but not a lot more.

All in all, it is worth it to her as she is getting ready to start the 500 hour course. 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
 I know two people that have done yoga teacher training and they both teach!  I think you need to find a bit of a niche to do well.  A specific type of yoga/practice, or another focus, i.e. yoga for kids.  I could see this being good side gig income. 

I pay for my preschooler to do yoga, it's about $12/ class for an 8 week session, and maybe there are 10 kids in the class.  I'm going to guess the preschool gets a cut, but even if they get half, that's $60 for a 45 minute class, $480 for an 8 week session.  She also does after school programs at local elementary schools, too.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 05:23:31 PM »
Index's comments and the experience of my friends who've done training seems to the same. It's a passion, if you want to do it for that reason and can afford it, great and you might make a few bucks here and there.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 05:49:46 PM »
My sister got an intro yogafit training paid for by a gym where she taught.

Then once she knew she liked teaching she did a 500 hour certificate.

She loved teaching but I don't think she made back the price of Tyne course before she quit teaching due to an international relocation.

curlyfry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 07:37:24 PM »
I have friends who found the yoga teacher training to be a transformational experience!  If you find it to be an investment in your interests & your own body & mind, then that is okay!  Seems like you can afford it currently.

dragontaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 04:00:40 PM »
Thank you all for your input!

It would definitely be more for the love of yoga than expecting to make any real cash. As long as, eventually, I can cover the cost of training, I would consider it a worthy investment in myself. :) Thanks again!