Author Topic: Yoga at home vs. studio  (Read 14281 times)

flamingo25

• Stubble
Yoga at home vs. studio
« on: October 12, 2014, 06:46:50 PM »
I currently attend yoga classes 2-3 days/week. The gym I take classes at is not a major expense itself, but it does involve some driving too and from classes which I'd like to cut back on. They are at night and far enough away that I'm not comfortable biking/walking. I LOVE my instructor though and would be sad to give it up.

I'm considering trying to do some videos at home at least part of the time. We have the perfect room for it (hardwood, minimally furnished, with TV for watching videos). Anyone have videos/resources they recommend?

Edited to add: For some reason I feel like I'm not doing "real yoga" if I practice at home. Anyone else feel this way? I want to move past that feeling.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:49:56 PM by flamingo25 »

Sarita

• Stubble
Re: Yoga at home vs. studio
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
I can relate--- I have much better yoga experiences with a class, rather than at home. So although it's expensive ($20 in NYC!) I do go once in awhile, and for free in the local park during the summer. Sadly I've not found a yoga DVD I really love, though I've bought quite a few of them.  I'd recommend renting as many as you can from your public library before buying anything.

I'm thinking about heading to Kripalu (have you heard of it?  Awesome yoga center on the east coast)-- they have a week long program designed to help you establish a yoga program of your own.  It's expensive, but cheaper than a relaxing vacation on the beach somewhere :).  I went to Kripalu for my 40th birthday and it was life-changing.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
Same here. I've yet to find a decently priced studio that offers classes when I can actually take them. I'm not quite as motivated at home when I'm by myself to really push myself. A few weeks ago my company had an outing where they offered a free yoga class and I jumped on it, and it was wonderful! It was the first real yoga experience I had since college, when my friend was training to become an instructor and was giving out free lessons. Not to mention my cats love my yoga mat as a comfy bed/scratching post. Hard to relax and find my center when there's a fluffball underfoot :)

As for videos, I love YouTube... there's always a huge selection of free videos to choose from. I personally love yoga with Adriene... my friend sent me a link to her bedtime yoga video and it was wonderful. Here's a link to her page: https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:37:19 PM »
Same here. I've yet to find a decently priced studio that offers classes when I can actually take them. I'm not quite as motivated at home when I'm by myself to really push myself. A few weeks ago my company had an outing where they offered a free yoga class and I jumped on it, and it was wonderful! It was the first real yoga experience I had since college, when my friend was training to become an instructor and was giving out free lessons. Not to mention my cats love my yoga mat as a comfy bed/scratching post. Hard to relax and find my center when there's a fluffball underfoot :)

As for videos, I love YouTube... there's always a huge selection of free videos to choose from. I personally love yoga with Adriene... my friend sent me a link to her bedtime yoga video and it was wonderful. Here's a link to her page: https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

I just did a yoga with Adrience video tonight! It wasn't very challenging but I might try some of her more intermediate ones. I can relate to not pushing myself as well, which is my biggest concern. On the flipside, my husband (who hasn't worked out much in months) said he would happily join me in doing yoga at home vs. a class where he would feel self-conscious. Him joining me might add some motivation.

emor061

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 09:28:22 PM »
I can relate to this! It can be really hard to find videos that suit your level and style.
My favourite videos are with Lesley Fightmaster https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcox27Gc-NGbb2-X9hdLaMw which I'd definitely recommend

Runningtuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Good question!
I've just started a little bit of Bikram yoga and really like it, but if I did any more than the one community class per week it gets to be a strain financially. Tricky to recreate the heat and timing factor at home..

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »

I just did a yoga with Adrience video tonight! It wasn't very challenging but I might try some of her more intermediate ones. I can relate to not pushing myself as well, which is my biggest concern. On the flipside, my husband (who hasn't worked out much in months) said he would happily join me in doing yoga at home vs. a class where he would feel self-conscious. Him joining me might add some motivation.

This is a great topic! I've been pondering this myself. My husband is also keen to try yoga-- but only at home, in private. He says he doesn't want to be the only man in a room full of women, like it is at my yoga place.

Thanks for the recommendation, Lis! I'll try Yoga with Adriene later tonight!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
My library has at least 100 yoga DVDs - I am gradually going through the entire selection. It gives variety and is free.

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
I've always preferred doing yoga at home - I find it really relaxing not to have to travel, hear other people, worry about hitting them with my flailing arms and legs... and I just tend to find instructors annoying.

I recommend these: http://www.doyogawithme.com/

This video, in particular, is FANTASTIC: http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/sacred-expansion

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:19:28 PM »
Edited to add: For some reason I feel like I'm not doing "real yoga" if I practice at home. Anyone else feel this way? I want to move past that feeling.

My yoga teacher once told us (actually more than once) that the primary purpose for yoga classes was to prepare the student to do it at home. Yoga, she said, is for life and must be integrated into life for it to be truly worthwhile. She set gave us homework and occasionally asked how our home practice was going, reminding us that we must not become dependent on classes because true yoga is integrated into life.

So when her husband tragically died and she left the state (leaving us without our favorite yoga teacher) we were able to pick up pretty easily in our home yoga studio. It has been almost a decade since we lost our yoga class but we still do yoga morning and night in our studio and remember her fondly for giving us the tools to integrate yoga into our lives.

One book she recommended we read (and we did) was "The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice" by Desikachar.

These days we frequently use DVDs. Sometimes we do ashtanga since it has a consistent sequence of moves. However, we remain mindful of the need to work on a personal practice so we sprinkle in days in which we put on music and work as our body and breath direct us.

I say all this to say that you are doing real yoga at home. It cannot get more real than doing yoga in accordance with your own breath and body, listening to the universe within you and around you.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:22:16 PM by Metta »

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »

I say all this to say that you are doing real yoga at home. It cannot get more real than doing yoga in accordance with your own breath and body, listening to the universe within you and around you.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you had a wonderful instructor with a great philosophy.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you had a wonderful instructor with a great philosophy.

She is a wonderful person. We were very lucky.

You don't talk much about the kind of yoga you were doing. But one thought is that you might ask your yoga instructor for advice on developing a home practice. Then continue to go to your yoga class once or twice a week while you work on your home practice. It is nice to have someone help you with this. It's kind of like meditation. You can meditate on your own but it's still nice to be able to say to someone more expert, "You know, I was doing this at home and this came up. Any advice?"

My sister works as a yoga instructor and my impression from her and from knowing other yoga teachers is that yoga teachers generally have a home practice. They are the experts in this so since you are currently going to yoga anyway, take advantage of all it has to offer.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
This is a video I really like.  The meditations afterwards are heavenly!

http://www.amazon.com/Trudie-Stylers-Warrior-Yoga-Styler/dp/B002KLA9DK

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 07:21:11 AM »
If your library has access to Hoopla (digital streaming service libraries have for albums, video and audio books), I know there are some yoga videos on there. I've never watched any, but it might be worth it to browse through and see what's there.

daizy744

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »
You may also consider signing up for a website that offers a variety of yoga videos and programs instead of watching single DVDs.

I was pondering registering for a local class. At $120, the class was 10 weeks long, once a week. For the same price, I (and hubby when he chooses to start!) now have access to almost 1000 videos with different levels and styles of yoga that I can do anywhere anytime for an entire year. Well worth investment in my health.

I registered with http://www.ekhartyoga.com. They are based in the Netherlands, but I'm sure there are other similar websites out there.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 07:49:34 AM »
Gaiamtv.com is another that offers a monthly fee for all the yoga you can do in a month. They usually have a free trial.

I recall that there is another free service.

Also, there are a number of free podcasts that are free yoga classes. Yoga Journal used to do one and you should still be able to download it.

There are so many free sources of yoga on the Internet that you never need to pay.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 07:50:55 AM »
I really love these:

http://www.namaste.tv/collections/shop

I started with them when it was on FitTV, but when FitTv changed to Discovery health, they disappeared. So glad I found the DVD's.

I also do old taped episodes of "Inhale" that was on Oxygen. I don't think you can buy them anywhere, but the instructor was Steve Ross and I loved his style.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »
I do most of my videos on Youtube.  My favorite teacher is Sarah Beth Yoga.  I do many others too.  Whenever I find one I like, I save it in my favorites so I can easily do it again.

orcas50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »
I've been doing yoga for years at a local studio. Last spring I decided that the travel time to/from plus gas costs plus actual cost of attending classes was high enough to look into establishing an at-home yoga practice. I highly recommend yogaglo.com. There is a 2 week free trial period, then it is $18 per month for unlimited classes. You can filter the classes by duration, teacher, style of yoga, etc. Some of the teachers are nationally known, and very good (Jason Crandell, e.g.) It's been a wonderful thing for me and really helped ground my practice. I now go to the studio once a week and try to do the yogaglo classes a few times a week as well.

karrit_34

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 03:49:36 AM »
Hi friends!! I am looking for best online yoga video for beginners. I have attended yoga classes in my hometown but that requires a lot of time to get there. I think online yoga classes would be a better option. Share your suggestions guys!!

Natcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 06:35:57 AM »
Hi friends!! I am looking for best online yoga video for beginners. I have attended yoga classes in my hometown but that requires a lot of time to get there. I think online yoga classes would be a better option. Share your suggestions guys!!

I recommend http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/sun-salutations-I and any of the beginners classes from doyogawith.com

To flamingo25, at home yoga is better than classes (for me anyhow). You can do it when the mood strikes you rather than when the yoga studios schedule coincides with yours. Theres no travel to and from which ultimately ruined the peace of mind I had achieved after class. And best of all my kitties lay on top of me at the end while in the final laying down pose (can't remember the name) which brings me great happiness!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »
I've been doing yoga for years at a local studio. Last spring I decided that the travel time to/from plus gas costs plus actual cost of attending classes was high enough to look into establishing an at-home yoga practice. I highly recommend yogaglo.com. There is a 2 week free trial period, then it is $18 per month for unlimited classes. You can filter the classes by duration, teacher, style of yoga, etc. Some of the teachers are nationally known, and very good (Jason Crandell, e.g.) It's been a wonderful thing for me and really helped ground my practice. I now go to the studio once a week and try to do the yogaglo classes a few times a week as well.

Was just popping in here to sing the praises of YogaGlo. I love Felicia's hatha classes best of all! The restorative/yin classes are wonderful, too.

Rpesek6904

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »
I have also been using headspace.com to try and learn more about meditation.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »

This is a great topic! I've been pondering this myself. My husband is also keen to try yoga-- but only at home, in private. He says he doesn't want to be the only man in a room full of women, like it is at my yoga place.

Thanks for the recommendation, Lis! I'll try Yoga with Adriene later tonight!

I think guys who are/were athletes miss out by not practicing yoga because they were put off by the pace or gender balance of a beginner's course. I played baseball through high school and soccer my entire life. After competitive sports, I did crossfit-style workouts for awhile but eventually decided they weren't for me. Yoga was different and the benefits from it got better the more I stuck with it. I think I'm in the best shape of my life now thanks to yoga undoing several injuries and imbalances caused by years of competitive sports and the gym. Tell your husband to check out Ashtanga yoga. In most Mysore classes I've been to, more than half the students were guys. I also balance my practice out with one or two light weight lifting workouts a week (with jump rope and pick-up sports for cardio).

As for the original question, I like variety, so I practice both at home and in the studio, but mostly in the studio. I'm lucky in that there are several cheap and excellent studios within biking distance of my home.

DanielleS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »
Hi! I didn't read all the responses (shame on me), but I used to practice at a studio religiously for several years. It was my only expensive hobby, and it was totally worth it to me. However, I now travel a lot and can't do that anymore.

Several years ago I got my 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training. The knowledge that I gained allows me to practice at home with complete and utter satisfaction. I thought I would miss the classroom setting, but I don't! I can even choose my own music, haha. It was expensive, but over the long run it has not only allowed me to make money teaching, but also saved me thousands on class fees.

When I am in the mood for a teacher, I practice with a Melissa West class - melissawest.com. She's got hundreds of classes for free. You can subscribe to her podcasts, etc. She also has a membership site which I don't belong to, but that also has content for a much cheaper price than going to multiple classes at a studio per month. I see someone else gave a different recommendation, so perhaps trying out several online teachers will let you find a few you really like!

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 09:52:13 PM »
I don't like it when people fart during yoga class.

Yeah yeah yeah...you go into your utanasanahwhateverthefuckah pose while you're ujjayi breathing...and the next thing you know you're tooting out that can of chili you ate for lunch. And then you clear your throat loudly to cover it up. But you can't.

If you think you're gonna fart, you should stay at home.

If you're in a class, you should run out and blow it down in the hallway.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:54:19 PM by RapmasterD »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!