Author Topic: Yaktrax ice traction cleats  (Read 6012 times)

crusher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Yaktrax ice traction cleats
« on: December 31, 2015, 04:43:29 AM »
I’m looking for something to provide ice and snow traction mainly for walking about 2 miles a day on sidewalks and also light hiking in the woods. I was considering Yaktrax Pro until I read several recent Amazon reviews complaining that they broke quickly.

Anyone recommend these? Better options? Thanks!

Cole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Yaktrax ice traction cleats
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 04:51:45 AM »
Kahtoola microspikes

They are 69.99 normally, but you may be able to find a pair at a REI garage sale for around $25 if your near a REI.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:53:25 AM by Cole »

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 06:46:34 AM »
I like stabilicers for walking around town.

https://www.32north.com/

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 07:05:47 AM »
FWIW, I've had a pair of Yaktrax for years. They have held up well but haven't been used for that long of walks (1/4 mile a day). I find them hard to get on and off my shoes so I basically permanently installed them on a pair of hiking boots and change shoes at my destination.

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:15:25 AM »
We've had two pairs for years to put on running shoes. They've served us well and even after runs of up to 10 miles, haven't had any issues.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 07:21:56 AM »
I work for a fairly large utility company and these are what we get some of our guys out in the field...and have done so for years. (the yaktrax pro)

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 07:53:03 AM »
They work great on running shoes outside in the snow and ice, but be careful when you first get them. I have a smooth stone floor next to the door and they are worse than black ice on that floor. I cannot stand up on them without my feet immediately flying out from under me. It's that bad.

SimpleGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 08:18:04 PM »
I've only had them for a few months but I'm happy with ICEtrekkers Diamond Grip.  $42 at REI.

Elisabeth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 11:12:23 PM »
I have the basic Yaktrax, and I've had to buy a replacement pair about once/year due to the rubber part breaking. I am in a very cold climate (-50C in the winter!) and walk directly on ice roads, so I assumed the short life was due to exposure to the extreme cold. Even though I've had to buy replacements, it's still worth it because they are VERY effective... I'd totally fall on my ass without them.

Subliminal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 11:37:58 PM »
I second the Kahtoola microspikes. I've used them for probably 300+ miles of winter hiking so far and they still serve me well.

crusher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 06:25:12 AM »
Thanks for the great input, folks.

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 08:13:02 AM »
I took a lightly work pair of sneakers and screwed the shortest sheet metal screws into them. It works great, and no they don't poke through. Cost is less than yaks, and they don't fall off (the most common complaint I hear for yaks)

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
The standard Yaktrax do break pretty much constantly. Microspikes or Icetrekkers for the win.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
Last winter I wore out a pair. The rubber tore.  Walked 5km roundtrip to work in old combat boots.  They lasted maybe 50 uses.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »
My wife tried Yak Trax twice, and while they do provide traction, both times they broke within a week of daily use. The design just isn't very good; the metal wire presses directly into the soft rubber stuff and cuts it. If you never walk on hard surfaces, it might work ok, but if you are walking on a mixture of concrete, asphalt, and ice/snow they will break down pretty quickly.  After that, she got a pair of ICEtrekkers Diamond Grip and so far they have lasted through one winter at least, and work well for providing traction.

minerstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Another vote for Kahtoola microspikes. I used to wear YakTraxs but the springs busted, then the rubber broke and I'm not a heavy person. I found them good for winter running occasionally but not everyday use or a lot of hiking.  I'm on my third year of wearing my pair of microspikes which are perfect for winter hiking.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 10:00:06 PM »
I feel so randomly lucky. I wore YakTrax for years in Chicago, without any breaking or issues. I used them to run during the winter. Maybe it was so long ago that they were made better then? Will definitely recommend the other brands to friends who still live in cold climates -- great thread.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
Stabilicers here-- work great , less to break.  Oh and our friends own the company, made locally.

crusher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 07:16:56 AM »
Thanks for all the input. Having brand names was a big help for online searching. I ended up buying Stabilicers Hike and have been very satisfied after a dozen uses. They provided great grip for urban walking and are easy to take on and off. MissHathaway, I appreciated the tip about ice cleats being tricky on smooth surfaces -- probably saved me a spill. Thanks, all!