Author Topic: y old position at my old job is available and I'm thinking about re-applying.  (Read 4092 times)

Bearblastbeats

I never really left the job in the first place.

The situation:

I was offered to go permanent at the job but I refused the offer and told them I planned go back to college. They gave me an additional three works work from there before laying  me off.
I did end up going back to college and realized it wasn't for me at this moment in my life.

After withdrawing from school I found a job working with an architect which I am doing at this moment. I am paid hourly, by check, every Friday. No benefits, no 40 hours a week, and constant ridicule by him as well as him saying things like "You are a few minutes away from packing your stuff" or "You make me question whether I should just work alone" on a weekly basis. He doesn't bother to take the least bit of time to train me or help me correct my mistakes either.

But enough of the rant, yadda yadda my boss is a dick story.

I have applied to other firms but is it all right to apply to my last position? is it considered classless, or untactful?

dradam168

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have applied to other firms but is it alright to apply to my last position? is it considered classless, or untactful?

I certainly wouldn't say so, especially since it seems you left in pretty good standing the first time.  But, even if it is, what's the worst that could happen?  Them not hiring you?  Since that is exactly what will happen if you don't apply in the first place, I'd say go for it.

Bearblastbeats

I will add that it will be at a 2 dollar pay cut from what I make now (BUT with benefits) and also an additional 45 minute commut. I would eventually relocate.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Go with honesty -- " I made a mistake about what I would get out of college"..."I really liked working here".

Just don't tell them you are going back to school in future if you are not registered!

Sarita

• Stubble
It's totally fine to do so.  I'm in HR, and we welcome 'boomerangs', and have at every company I've been with.  The most important thing is actually wanting to do the job, and remembering that it's not just a choice between your current job and that one.  Given the commute if you go back to your old job--- are there other reasonable possibilities that are closer?  May be worth it to wait for those.

Bearblastbeats

It's totally fine to do so.  I'm in HR, and we welcome 'boomerangs', and have at every company I've been with.  The most important thing is actually wanting to do the job, and remembering that it's not just a choice between your current job and that one.  Given the commute if you go back to your old job--- are there other reasonable possibilities that are closer?  May be worth it to wait for those.

I think the scenario if I get accepted back would be for me to move closer, possibly back to my home town. or even closer outside of the city.

I applied to other jobs around this area as well.

Another key thing I should add is that I moved out of a city to the one I'm currently in FOR this job 3 months ago when I got hired. So moving isn't so much an issue, and also if I move back to the city I would be close to my friends again.

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
Definitely ask.  Most people would rather have an experienced worker who they know personally and like rather than have to hire a newbie they don't know. There's a lot of risk in hiring an unknown person. At worst, if they say that the position isn't open, ask them if they would call you if something like it opens up again.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Another HR manager here (retired).  Totally fine.  Both sides know exactly what they are getting, i.e., you know the company climate and they know your work.  This is a reason for never burning a bridge if you don't have to.

edit: you're vs. your
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:25:18 PM by mary w »

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
I've been rehired.....a whole bunch.  3 times (or 4?) at a title company, 2 times at a church, 1 time at a salon.  Makes my resume look a little funny, but it's totally a fine thing to do.  I never knew the term before - boomerang!

I just recently received an informal offer at the title company again, for when the kids are in school.  Too bad their busy time is the summer, which is when I'd want to take off to be with my kids. 

Mr.Chipper77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I agree with most above. The for sure way not to get the job is to not apply for it .  Where I am at we have had people leave and come back and its been a lot better more times than not.

Calvawt

• Bristles
Go for it and move closer if you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk