Author Topic: Xmas gift for spreading the Mustachian gospel?  (Read 3057 times)

BayIslandSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Xmas gift for spreading the Mustachian gospel?
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
Hi All,

With Christmas nearing, do you guys have suggestions on gifts that might help someone get over the hump of frugality?
I have a brother who is trying to cut down on spending this year to pay off cc debts and such and start saving, but I don't think he's fully grasped what it means to 'save'.

He and his wife still enjoy the 'finer' things, such as eating out frequently, $5 lattes, etc. because they don't seem like huge expense.  But we all here know these expenses add up quickly over time.

Other than directing them to this site or a multitude of books on personal finance, do you have other suggestions that may help them on their journey?

Thanks!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Re: Xmas gift for spreading the Mustachian gospel?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »
If they seem to be into it I would suggest a used copy of some of Dave Ramsey's stuff.  It isn't advanced Mustachian but you could find it cheap and if they don't use it, no big deal for you.  Also link them to this site and the Rootofgood.com site.

To start them out -- why don't you ask them for a used copy of a personal finance book?  Don't tell them which one you want.   Just tell them to look at amazon and pick one that fits you.  That way they are doing a little research and getting into it as well.   You can then have a good laugh exchanging your books.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »
Your Money or Your Life with the caveat that some of the advice doesn't work in today's economy. The money for every little purchase needs to be seen in the form of life energy, or hours worked in order to pay for it.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
Stove top espresso maker and a milk frother thingamajig. Peppered with casual references to saving and cutting expenses in your own life. Topped off with a convo of that super delicious meal you made at home last week that came out sooo much better than fancypants bistro.

(In my life with my siblings, the only course that had the mildest influence was leading by example. All the knowledge is a google search away if they want it.)

EDSMedS

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »
YouNeedABudget - www.YNAB.com

Set up is easy, the reports are simple and enlightening.  After one month, seeing those lattes add up to $100, they'll summit.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:30:55 PM »
Alternative: proposing a gift 'truce'.

BayIslandSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
YouNeedABudget - www.YNAB.com

Set up is easy, the reports are simple and enlightening.  After one month, seeing those lattes add up to $100, they'll summit.

I like this idea...I never considered YNAB for myself since I track everything myself, but this may work for them.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!