Author Topic: WWMD - What would a Mustachian do about my roof?  (Read 7785 times)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
WWMD - What would a Mustachian do about my roof?
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »
My neighborhood got wacked by baseball size hail. Mustachian car had liability insurance only so I’ll pop out the dents, replace windshield & plastic and such myself.

The house has around $20k in total damage (waiting final numbers). Roof, gutters, trim, deck, fence, etc.

The big question is the roof. The rest I can handle myself.

Details:
5% ($10,200) deductable
Insurance payout ‘should’ be around $10k
Damaged asphalt roof - I can get repair compound to patch it up, make it water and UV tight.
Replacement asphalt roof around $5k (pro install)
Metal roof around $12k (pro install)

Only issue I see with a patch job is when it’s time to sell; a typical inspection will say ‘new roof’. But that might be OK, I’ll just use it as a bargaining tool. We don’t plan to move any time soon.

I am not willing to redo the roof myself.

Metal roof will add maybe $5k property value, but will take $2k out of pocket; $12k total. Metal is a ‘lifetime’ roof – until the next nasty hailstorm; which will destroy the standing seams and dent up the rest of it. Not a great investment. see what it did to my metal shed:

So:
1) Patch job
2) Pro replacement asphalt shingle
3) Pro metal roof
4) Other?
Input appreciated, thanks Mustachians!

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
Re: WWMD - What would a Mustachian do about my roof?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »
I'm no metal roof expert. I mean, my knowledge of them is limited to just the one MMM article. But it would surprise me *greatly* if they were as flimsy as that shed roof looks.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
I'm no metal roof expert. I mean, my knowledge of them is limited to just the one MMM article. But it would surprise me *greatly* if they were as flimsy as that shed roof looks.
the shed roof is 26ga - which is the same as most metal roofs. 24g is optional.
Now the metal roof will have a deck under it, but it'll still get hella dented up!

lackofstache

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »
If the metal roof should last longer AND increases the value of your property AND you're in a spot to spend the $7k now to increase the value of the home by $5k, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, get a new asphalt roof. I wouldn't bother w/ patching.

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:44 AM »
I'd vote replace with asphalt

I'm a Realtor - highly doubt that metal will increase value by $5k. All buyers care about is a functioning roof - they really don't how new or fancy it is typically. On the other hand, patch job could cause eventual inspection issues or insurance claim issues.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
I'd vote replace with asphalt

I'm a Realtor - highly doubt that metal will increase value by $5k. All buyers care about is a functioning roof - they really don't how new or fancy it is typically. On the other hand, patch job could cause eventual inspection issues or insurance claim issues.
thanks - Good to know!!

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 06:58:47 PM »
I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that if you can patch watertight and hold the cash until it's time to sell/replace or the next hailstorm occurs, that that would be the way to go.  If there's a danger of hidden leaks with the patch job, that's something to consider.  No sense replacing something if it doesn't need replacing.  If you're going to sell in 5 years, brand new roof is a better selling feature than 5yo roof.

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
After looking at yours pics of the asphalt versus your shed roof  - my vote is with the asphalt. (I've never seen an asphalt roof before so thanks for sharing!)

Add my experience of living in Sydney, Australia after a similar hail storm.  (MMM was recently admiring the corrugated roofs).  Unfortunately, a lot of corrugated roofs had to be replaced because of the hail damage and for a while there Sydney didn't have enough roofers!

My resounding vote is for a patch up job on the asphalt, putting the money aside for a new roof should you one day sell/or knowing this will be a bargaining point for prospective purchasers.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 08:03:37 AM »
Thanks for the input all! Sounds like a straight replacement asphalt shingle roof is the way to go.

JT - I'll be happy to share more pics of a dinged-up roof if you like ;)

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
JT you got whacked worse than I did!  However all kinds of insurance claims teams are rolling around up here.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »
What would a metal roof save you in terms of utilities?  I'm sure the A/C isn't cheap in Dallas.

Does that change your numbers?

snareman1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
How much longer do you plan on living in this house?

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
Another option might be to only replace the damaged shingles. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:17:54 PM »
Another option might be to only replace the damaged shingles.

Not with the impact density we see on that shed.

Replace the roof with another asphalt roof. Two things to think about:

1) If you shop around, you should be able to get an Energy Star rated shingle for about the same price as standard. This will help keep your attic not-quite-Hades hot (I'm in Austin)

2) It will cost more, but you can get an impact-rated shingle. They are more rubbery. UL 2218, Class 4. You may be able to get a discount on your insurance premiums.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
The reason that metal roofs in Texas get an insurance discount isn't because they don't dent from hail. It's because they're still waterproof after a hail storm. The insurance company generally won't pay out for cosmetic damage. A metal roof also doesn't lose hail protection as it ages.

That said, my metal roof hasn't dented from golfball sized hail. Haven't had baseball hail (yet).

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:23 AM »
Great info, thanks!
-We plan to live here another 5+yrs.
-Metal roofs have better reflectivity than asphalt. However the effects on the AC bill will be small. House is already well insulated, ventilated, and has radiant barrier installed. It runs around 25F hotter in attic than ambient during the summer; not bad. Metal might save $10/mo on electric, summer only
-We ended up not meeting the deductible. So anything we do will be out of pocket.

I'm leaning towards patch job or replacement asphalt.

Regardless of final decision I'll probably patch it for now,  replace no earlier than 6months or so from now. The roofing companies are crazy busy with the recent damage. We'll wait till they are slower and hungrier - get some 'winter' pricing.

I take care of flat asphalt roofs at work and there are great products to seal up dings and dents from weather, maintenance on rooftop AC units, and so forth. Not built to be pretty, but they are very functional products.

snareman1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
My advice:
 Patch the roof yourself using effective, functional, affordable method. Save the real roof funds for when you sell and that way you will be able to recoup as much of the new roof expense as possible in the sale price increase due to new roof. =)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 09:45:31 AM »
The plot thickened a little:

The insurance co and the mortgage co are both involved due to the nature of the damage.
IN talking to their reps, they were quite confused & concerned about the possibility of a wild homeowner not doing the usual thing and slapping a new roof on it. they 'have never heard of this before' and are not sure what to do about it. Sounds like it could cause a real hassle with subsequent inspections, denial of possible future claims, etc

back to Fishingmn's original advice... It is looking like a basic replacement asphalt roof is the way to go. Anti-Mustachian, and it makes me sad... but the system sure don't like it when the boat is rocked!

snareman1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »
Are you able to commission one of the insurance company's "authorized" contractors or roofing companies to do the patch work on your behalf, or something less than putting a new roof on?

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 07:12:57 AM »
Are you able to commission one of the insurance company's "authorized" contractors or roofing companies to do the patch work on your behalf, or something less than putting a new roof on?
'Fraid not - when it's dinged up like this they replace. I get blank looks and stammering when I suggest anything else. "But, But... Normal procedure is to replace the roof. I've never heard of anything else"

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 08:58:37 AM »
Just ask the insurance company for the cash to replace the roof.  How & when you spend it is really none of their business.  If they won't continue to cover your house w/o a new roof, shop around for a new insurance company.