Author Topic: Would you work here?  (Read 4152 times)

makstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Would you work here?
« on: December 29, 2014, 04:47:34 PM »
I am a teacher, and my father in law owns a small business. He allows me to work for him at $17/hr as much or as little as I want, whenever I want during my school breaks. The work is fairly mindless and very low stress.

Sounds great right? Here's the catch. The job is 22 miles away. So...would you work here?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:53:16 PM by makstache »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Re: Would you work here?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »
Could you work there without the family relationship being a problem? How much do you make currently? And last but not least, is there any work you could do remotely?

Future Lazy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
Trailrated has it: Can you work remotely?

At $0.51/mi, driving 44 miles would be $22.44 per trip, so it's not profitable to drive that far unless you're working 8+ hours.

Does working at this job increase your teaching skills? If it's just about the money, think long and hard before you choose to accept...

r3dt4rget

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:15:04 PM »
I am a teacher, and my father in law owns a small business. He allows me to work for him at $17/hr as much or as little as I want, whenever I want during my school breaks. The work is fairly mindless and very low stress.

Sounds great right? Here's the catch. The job is 22 miles away. So...would you work here?
Commutes aren't a bad thing as long as the return is worth it. From your description, it sounds worth it. It pays well, is low stress, and you can pick how much you want to work. It's not as if you will be driving an hour each way through stop-n-go traffic in your 5 MPG Hummer H2, right?

makstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 05:50:26 PM »
To answer some questions and add some information...

1. Family relations are no problem. It's just a standing opportunity to make extra cash.
2. Teaching pays much more than $17/hr when broken down into an hourly rate. I only do this as a side job.
3. Working remote is not possible. It is a warehouse job filling orders and such. The primary job skill is counting.
4. The job in no way directly increases my teaching skills. Like I said... counting.
5. I drive a 2007 Honda Accord 4 cylinder, so my gas mileage is decent.
6. Business hours are 7:00am-3:45pm with a 45 minute unpaid lunch. Traffic is rarely a problem. It's about a 25-30 minute commute.
7. I already know that when I go in Its only worth it to go in for the whole day.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »
I've had worse.  If you have nothing else going for breaks, go for it.  You may be able to get a quicker cash cushion or pay ahead on investments.  Where is your extra money going now and where do you want it to go?

The biggest deciding factor should be how much do you need the money compared to not working.  $100 a day is a nice bonus for helping the old man out.

surfhb

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »
Sure its worth it.....unless you have something better to do.   

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »

So long as you and he get along, and you don't totally hate the work more than the net money you make (less commuting costs and any other direct/indirect costs), I don't see any issue doing it during unproductive time on weekends or holiday periods.

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless it was a nice change of scenery or I just wanted to get out of the house and do something once in a while for a few days... probably during week(s) I have off from work or something, but I also don't have the same amount of time off as a teacher.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:56:40 PM by rmendpara »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!