Author Topic: Would you walk 30 minutes in the winter to work?  (Read 24858 times)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Would you walk 30 minutes in the winter to work?
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
I walk to work all  winter in NE Ohio, and we walk for fun every weekend all winter. My kids walked 1.5 miles home from school every day, all winter.

If you’ve got good gear you warm up pretty fast. The biggest think is to have good stuff for your hands and feet.

However, I don’t love walking when it’s icy, and I do not like clambering over snow banks left by the plows or when I have to navigate an unshoveled walkway. So I am fine with the cold, but I don’t walk for fun if it’s really snowy (though I still walk the 3 blocks to work.)

I also grew up in Florida and walked 2 miles home from jr./sr. High school every day.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:20:29 AM by Cranky »

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
When I lived within walking distance to work I walked almost everyday.  (And I live in SK).  To make the walk significantly shorter I had to take a short-cut through the park which involved trudging through snow banks.  I was the best part of my day:)  The few times I was lazy and drove I realized this actually took more time, as I would have to warm up my car, brush all the snow off, potentially shovel a path.....walking is easier.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »
NYC here. It doesn't get quite as cold as Canada, but it can be chilly. I have no choice but to walk, since I own no car.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »
No.  I would not walk 30 minutes in the Canadian winter.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2017, 10:36:02 AM »
As others have said already - if you're doing it to save money, there's no point. Not only is the money saved insignificant, it's significantly faster to drive and be comfortably warm.

If you're doing it to get a bit of exercise in - that's fine. But the only amount of exercise that's necessary for health is 20 minutes of moderate activity a day.

Clearly, being out in the cold won't kill you, but it won't win you any awards either. Not worth it to me to be out in the cold for an hour when the savings and the gains are insignificant.

Meesh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2017, 11:47:11 AM »
I'm not sure I agree that it does not save money. When DH walked we only needed one car, so we saved massively.

On the plus side of a 4 minute drive is he comes home most days now for lunch, eats and plays with the kiddo for a few minutes. Fun but not needed. I'd prefer he walk.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »
I disagree that it doesn't save money. I have access to a car but I assume I don't, because my default option is to walk or bike *everywhere*. It's amazing how creative your brain can get when you don't just automatically drive. All these smaller trips add up to cost savings as well, and I think walking to work triggers the mental shift away from reliance.

The mental stimulation from walking is really valuable, as is working fitness into your daily routine. When I was walking about 10 km (6.5 miles) round trip every day I unintentionally lost 20 pounds over a few months.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
I live in MN and do it all the time. Temperature can get as low as -30F where I live. I find it easier to keep warm while walking than biking, especially my hands and face. Just make sure to dress warmly, and don't get into a hot shower as soon as you get home.

More MN checking in. Throw on a hat and jacket; you'll be fine.

Third Minnesotan here. I walk daily about 1 mile to work. I wear appropriate clothing for walking (base layers, normal layers, extra layers), but I have learned my limit is -10 (air temp or temp with wind chill). Anything below that, and my husband worries about me, so last winter when it was actually that cold in the mornings, my husband gave me a ride to work and I walked home when it was warmer (sunlight helps a lot--I usually get work between 7:00-7:30am and it's dark then).

I would suggest trying it when it's still relatively nice out, and finding out what your limit is. The worst thing that can happen is that you learn your limit is 0 or something, and then you have an easy determination every morning for whether or not you can do it that day.

For me, it's not so much about the savings--I mean, for me, it would be a 5 minute drive, but I'd also have to scrape my car for frost or clear snow, which adds time and nuisance factor. For me, it's more about the exercise and it helps me wake up mentally, and I find walking to be relatively warm--I walk at a brisk pace.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
Yes, you should. I have lived in the brutal snow-blasted frozen north, so I speak from experience.

But it doesnt have to black and white. Walk when you can/feel like it; drive other times.

With the right clothing, you should feel warm n' toasty even in -20°F weather with high winds, blowing snow, or driving freezing rains.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »
When it gets below 0F, it does hurt my breathing, so I don’t go out for fun. I scurry out when I need to, but I don’t dawdle.

We’ve always just had the one car, so I’ve always planned around the fact that during the week I’ll be walking, but I like walking, for the most part. (My knees are not what they used to be.)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »
I had a 20 minute walk to the train station in Chicago during one of the "Chiberia" winters when the Polar Vortex decided to come visit a couple of times. Several times in the single digit negatives (F) with wind off the lake. It was not my favorite thing, but tolerable--honestly sitting on the train was more miserable. I was born and raised in New Mexico, so super cold winters were pretty foreign to me until my late 20s when I moved to Chicago.

Uggs with thermal socks. Long underwear under slacks or jeans. At least two layers under winter coat with hood. Warm scarf wrapped around mouth and nose (it hurts to breathe when it's that cold unless you breathe through something). Warm hat and gloves. One thing that made the most difference (and was a huge surprise) was the fur lining on the hood of my coat. It cuts the wind down to almost nothing as long as you're not walking directly into a headwind.

My biggest problem is my eyes water really badly when it's cold, so when it gets to the single digits my eyes can freeze shut.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
I grew up in a cold area, went to college in a cold area (Pittsburgh), and lived in DC for 5 years.

I walked to class in the cold in college, and walked to work in DC when it was so cold that my hair would break in half if I wasn't careful (Because I never dried my hair before going to work).

However, it was never that long.  At most, 15 minutes to the train station.

So funny, my first thought was, hell no! Then I was like, well, it depends how cold it gets. I just walked all winter but it’s not like Canada winter. Then I remembered that as a kid and teen, I grew up in cold winters and walked 10-15 min to school every day. As people have said, 30 min is perfect to get your heart rate going, warm up your body, burn some calioties and probably still get to work around the same time. I have no idea how you wouldn’t sweat though, especially if you have layers. If you have a shower at work, that’s ideal.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
Unless parking costs are ridiculous, or you're after health benefits, I don't see how this is a logical trade off.

An hour per day vs 8 minutes, a 52 minute difference.

My estimate is this saves $80/month. That's a pretty poor ROI for 17 extra hours per month.

We can quibble on the numbers, but pretty much anyone with internet access can monetize their time and make much more than that.

"We choose to go to the Moon! ...We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills"

-- President Kennedy

Sometimes it doesn't have to be simply for saving money or health benefits. Overcoming ones own resistance can be a huge motivation by itself that impacts almost everything else.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2017, 08:04:48 PM »
Last I checked Elon Musk is trying to go to Mars and still drives to work everyday in 70 degree weather :P Yes, I get what you're saying...it's just the two ideas aren't really related. You can drive hours a day and still kick ass in other ways. Driving or not driving or making yourself miserable in other ways isn't going to automatically make you a badass. Of course, if you enjoy the walk then by all means do it. OP just needs to try and see what works for them.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2017, 08:29:32 PM »
An hour of exercise a day is recommended to avoid obesity. You have a great opportunity to get that exercise as part of your daily routine with very little extra effort. As a Canadian, you probably already have a decent coat, hat, gloves, and boots--plus once you get going you'll get warmer. Do it!!!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »
I've biked in winter, driven, and taken transit. I'd much rather walk than any of those but my commute is about 11 miles. I dislike waiting at train/bus stops without moving. I dislike being in a cold car. I like biking because I'm warm after 15 seconds and it's just plain fun, but my lungs can't handle the full commute (hills) below about 25F, even with a face mask. I love walking because I stay warm and don't have the wind factor that I do cycling.

Our bodies and how we handle temperature is so individual. On group bicycle rides during the winter I have a million layers on including around my face, whereas some of my friends just add a hat and a base layer. I say just try it! You'll figure out pretty quickly which weather conditions aren't going to work for you - or maybe all the days do and next thing you know it's springtime and you get to notice all the flowers poking through snow.

I do agree with wearing a reflective vest - when I walk my dog or to the grocery store in winter, I wear a vest and my bike taillight on solid. As a driver, I've noticed that it's impossible to see pedestrians on most side streets during winter.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2017, 01:46:01 AM »
When it gets below 0F, it does hurt my breathing, so I don’t go out for fun. I scurry out when I need to, but I don’t dawdle.

Try such a device. This helps a LOT.

https://www.skistart.com/eng/lung-plus-humidity-heat-exchanger.html

My DH has gotten cold allergy, which means he gets trouble breething when it is reaaly cold. But with this device he can go cross country skiing even in cold temperatures.

Only downside is that some saliva will leak out of the front. So you'll need to wear sports clothes and change to normal clothes at arrival.

Cashonda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2017, 04:45:35 PM »
I agree with the others, a walk could  be a nice way to start and end the day. But indeed it would depend on the safety of the walk. If it is slippery or there isnt a good place to walk away from traffic then I might not be so keen.

I walked to work daily in California, the weather was always rather nice but the safety of the streets can be questionable - especially when it is dark. When working late my boss would always drive me home as she thought I was insane to walk. Which was actually pretty nice of her!

Where I live now is quite rainy. It's just water, but sometimes you just dont want to get wet and the thought of walking or biking is annoying. I dont have an option though except to stay indoors haha.

To be honest in a canadian winter I'd probably plan to walk and sometimes be lazy and drive on a particularly crappy day if I had the option.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
Walking around when it's a tremendous blizzard with wind whipping around and snow blasting from all directions is actually pretty fun.  It's also the worst type of weather to have to drive somewhere.  You've got fogged up/iced up windows, there are always accidents on the road to avoid, traffic is moving at a crawl.  Get back in touch with your inner childish sense of wonder at how cool nature is, and get out of your frustrating adult misery steel cage!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
I love walking, and given the choice it is my favourite way of commuting to work (even better than biking), it is really good about clearing your mind, and helping you solve work problems.

A 30 minute walk to work in a Canadian winter was exactly a good part of my grad school commute actually.

And if anyone thinks you spending an hour walking a day is a bad use of time: What is the single best thing we can do for our health?

Good boots, good gloves and/or mittens, and good long underwear if needed and you are set for anything
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:59:23 PM by CanuckExpat »

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2017, 07:53:59 PM »
Unless parking costs are ridiculous, or you're after health benefits, I don't see how this is a logical trade off.

An hour per day vs 8 minutes, a 52 minute difference.

My estimate is this saves $80/month. That's a pretty poor ROI for 17 extra hours per month.

We can quibble on the numbers, but pretty much anyone with internet access can monetize their time and make much more than that.

If you look at it as part of your daily cardio time or to loosen up your muscles after work it's a pretty efficient use of time. For me it clears my head and is also a way to stay fit and burn calories. I find it really helps me stretch out after being hunched over scanning patients in ultrasound all day.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2017, 08:11:21 PM »
I walked 25 minutes to work for years and years.  Year round.  I came to really appreciate having a few quiet minutes to myself every day, and the light exercise doesn't hurt either.  One down side: you sure do wear through shoes a lot faster.

The only time it was ever really unpleasant was during heavy rain.  Snow and cold are pretty easy to deal with by dressing right, but driving rain is annoying.  You need a hat with a really big brim, and a good water proof jacket with a big hood.  Rain pants are cheap and easy, so really it's just the face that you have to worry about.

But in more moderate weather, I actually preferred walking to riding my bike even though it takes longer.  Riding is exercise.  Walking is relaxing.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2017, 09:02:04 PM »
Yes, absolutely. I end up walking more than that when I take the bus. For extreme weather or ill health I can add extra buses that slow me down.

Pouring rain or -20c or something. We had a -17 windchill already. It was a beautiful day. Keep your feet that warm.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2017, 04:37:34 PM »
Assuming one dresses accordingly (including covering one's head and ears), the temperature is quite irrelevant.

Of course, walk!

exactly! I've camped in negative temps and have been totally comfy. It's all about the gear.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »
It started with a bus strike and continued for years because I came to enjoy it. I lost weight and felt great. The walk took ~55 minutes in winter and 45 minutes in summer. I came to despise businesses (usually auto servicing) that didn't clear their section of sidewalk. Dress appropriately and Go for it.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2017, 04:58:29 PM »
To the OP: I did that during Fairbanks winters for 6 years, and wrote part of the MMM post about "the oil well you keep in your pants". It's perfectly doable and even fun. Dress in layers and get out there.

Oh, and avoid the moose if at all possible. Those bastards are scary when you come across them unexpectedly.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
I would do it and I would probably enjoy it.  I grew up a ways about due East of Duluth.  Wear footware that will keep you from slipping on ice.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2017, 06:47:15 AM »
I would do it and I would probably enjoy it.  I grew up a ways about due East of Duluth.  Wear footware that will keep you from slipping on ice.

I am having a day off today and walked a couple of kms, wearing sports shoes with spikes. It went well all places where there was no solid ice. I could even hold a decent pace, which is challenging when it is slippery.

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »

My deep freeze system:
-Ice Breaker merino base layer and socks
-fleece lined leggings (Costco)
-thicker Ice Breaker zip-up layer
-thick fleece layer (Colombia)
-down insulating layer (MEC)
-wind proof, lightly insulated, gore-Tex type top layer with venting zippers (Patagonia)
-thick wind proof ski mittens, with thin merino wool gloves underneath
-fleece balaklava
-thick merino wool hat (not really necessary if wearing down hood)
-ski goggles if it’s super windy
-snow pants optional, esp if it’s slushy (MEC)
-Saucony winter gore-tex running shoes

I just wanted to chime and say that I use an almost identical gear setup (different brands in some cases, but equivalent) here in the Buffalo, NY area for outdoor hiking and walking for exercise.  When I worked closer to home I used a similar setup for walking in (when time permitted). 

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2017, 08:25:53 AM »

My deep freeze system:
-Ice Breaker merino base layer and socks
-fleece lined leggings (Costco)
-thicker Ice Breaker zip-up layer
-thick fleece layer (Colombia)
-down insulating layer (MEC)
-wind proof, lightly insulated, gore-Tex type top layer with venting zippers (Patagonia)
-thick wind proof ski mittens, with thin merino wool gloves underneath
-fleece balaklava
-thick merino wool hat (not really necessary if wearing down hood)
-ski goggles if it’s super windy
-snow pants optional, esp if it’s slushy (MEC)
-Saucony winter gore-tex running shoes

I just wanted to chime and say that I use an almost identical gear setup (different brands in some cases, but equivalent) here in the Buffalo, NY area for outdoor hiking and walking for exercise.  When I worked closer to home I used a similar setup for walking in (when time permitted).

I used to be a total whiney-pants winter-loser who complained endlessly about the cold and decided that my various ailments justified it, but then when I started working and actually having money, I decided to invest in whatever gear I needed to be able to cope.

I did endless research on the warmest winter coats and resigned myself to spending $1000 on a Canada Goose coat if necessary, but my research showed me that layers are much better than single-unit coats, and I find layers provide much less restricted movement. I hate that stiff ski-jacket feel of huge coats.

Now I feel like winter has no power over me. I often marvel that I can’t believe how miserable I used to let the weather make me feel.

I actually prefer winter now because i find layering up less tedious than slathering on sunscreen in order to leave the house.

Heh, I always joke that the cold weather is preferable to hot, because you an always add more layers.  When it's hot you quickly run out of layers to remove :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2017, 09:15:06 AM »
I went for a nice jog at -30 the day after Christmas.  Having the right clothing makes a difference.  :P

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »
hah, me too.   There wasn't much wind, so it was pretty nice.   

I would love to be able to walk to work in 20 or 30 minutes, even in this deep freeze it would be much better than driving.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »
I would walk. That was around how long I walked to work when I lived in Hokkaido and worked at a ski resort. I did get mild frost bite but that was from my actual office because we had a stupid dress code where I had to wear office shoes even though the office wasn't insulated.

Good boots with decent grip and you're good to go. I loved walking to work, I love walking everywhere though, I get claustrophobic not being outside. Like the vikings say, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »
I just snow scooped the driveway.  It is 13 degrees F with a little wind.  It took more than 30 minutes.  I wouldn't begrudge the walk.  I'd not have to worry about the car starting, brushing off the snow or scraping the windows.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
It's -20 F today. I wore a light fleece to run errands (in a car, I only walked from sidewalk to door step 8 times...) In retrospect should have worn gloves. A walk in suitable winter clothes would be fine.
But earlier today when I was clearing the driveway and the winds where blowing a -40 windchill, with all my winter gear it hurt to be outside. My eyes hurt and my lungs hurt. I wouldn't do it for an hour. 15 minutes was enough.

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
Sunday I geared up to snowblow the driveway.  This included merino baselayer, thick socks, snowpants, 3/4-length cheap parka, balaclava, silly fake-fur trapper hat, and two layers of gloves.  After 45 minutes outside in -10 windchill I was actually a little warm, and had to keep pulling the balaclava down to keep my glasses from fogging up, which was annoying.  After a total of an hour I went inside 90% toasty -- my feet had gotten a little cold.  Adding a second pair of socks would have been perfect.

So I think with the right gear, as long as you keep moving you can be as warm as you want :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!