Author Topic: Would you walk 2 hours for work?  (Read 11097 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Would you walk 2 hours for work?
« on: July 26, 2015, 07:59:58 AM »
I start my new job soon and am looking into my options for commuting.
Due to where I am in the bus line, its about a 25 min cramped bus ride, 18 min bike ride,
and a 50 min walk. All options are do able for me and I will likely utilize all three but I am just looking to get a little perspective on what others in big cities do.

I am a health enthusiast so I never mind a good walk but am realizing that this is an extra 2 hours dedicated to work from my day,
in a culture where I will be working quite a few more hours each day than I am used to.
The bike ride is not bad but on hot days Im sure that sweating and what not will be an issue, which is why a brisk walk will sometimes be a better option. I plan on using this time to listen to books on tape or podcasts/ talk with family and friends, so I don't think I will ultimately feel that it is time "taken away" from me.

That being said, does this seem like too much time spent commuting? What is your cut off point for walking distance to work?
I would love to hear any other tips/ suggestions related to commuting as I am a complete rookie in this domain.

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Would you walk 2 hours for work?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »
For me, briskly walking 50 min would make me sweat far more than biking 18 min.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 08:05:03 AM »
I used to walk about 50 minutes each way in grad school, and I loved it. I mostly listened to music, but podcasts would be my preference were I doing it now. I view it differently than a two hour car commute because it's good for your physical and mental health. I miss it, but I think it would've been more difficult to pull off without the flexible schedule in grad school. And, if I were going to work, I'd need to figure out a better sweat containment systems (YMMV--I am a sweaty beast). All that said, can you try it for a few days and see how it fits into your life?

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 08:15:22 AM »
It's great you have all 3 options. I think you'll figure out which ones you want to use on which days. It would be nice to get your exercise in during your commute. You could also use a combination. Bus to work, walk home. Bike to work, bus home (and take the bike home the next night), etc.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »
Just to brag, I walked to and from work, 45 min each way, in -40 celcius. Yep. I looooooove walking! Clears my head, saves me all the dollars. Like mentioned, I would do a combined approach if I were you.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 08:25:22 AM »
It's odd that it would take 18 minutes by bike instead of 50 minutes walking. Are you a slow rider or are there routing complications? If it's the former, keep it mind that after a couple weeks of daily riding you will be a much more efficient cyclist.

50 minutes is really pushing it, even with podcasts and music. 30 minutes is about as far as I'm willing to walk before busting out the bike.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:10 AM »
Yes.  Why not?  Biking is probably cooler.  So I would opt for that most days.  50 minutes is really nothing.  Is it 3 miles?   If so,  12 minutes is probably closer to the bike ride time and that really is nothing.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 09:31:02 AM »
My home to office is a 50 minute walk. I'd love to bike but my knees can't handle it. I take a combo approach - walking 3-4 times a week, and busing other times, depending on weather, and what else I'm doing that day. I don't think I've ever bothered to walk both ways on the same day, maybe once. I also have a lot of free time, so that helps. 2 hours does seem like a long commute, no matter how it's done.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
I would not want to spend 50 minutes driving on a daily basis, but spending 50 minutes walking once or twice a week would be fine.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 10:16:53 AM »
I like to walk too, but on a daily basis, there and back, hmm. I'd stop at 30 to 35 min walking each way, 50 minutes would be too much for me, but then once you start, you'll get used to it quickly.
Tradeoffs - walking one way, taking the bus back on another - although I think I'd prefer walking home to clear my head.
The bike would be more efficient, but there is that argument about sweating on a hot day, so bike in cold weather for a change in pace and take the bus when the weather is lousy.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »
Yes.  Why not?  Biking is probably cooler.  So I would opt for that most days.  50 minutes is really nothing.  Is it 3 miles?   If so,  12 minutes is probably closer to the bike ride time and that really is nothing.

2 hours a day, or ~25% of a workday is rather substantial, IMO -- commuting time became a major factor to me when I started to think about it as 'time I had to use related to work', which effectively drops my hourly wage.  However, if someone enjoys walking over other things they could be doing, then it'd be a benefit.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
50 minutes each way sound fine to me, but for me, it also really depends on whether I find the route pleasant. 50 minutes in a nice area is cool; 50 minutes walking by the side of a highway is unpleasant. It took me about 45 minutes to walk to my old workplace. Something might catch my eye or I might stop to pat a cat and then it's 50 minutes. Didn't mind it at all. On my way home, I might opt for public transport to get home quicker so I can make dinner and get on with enjoying my free time, but I might still do the walk occasionally. It's also good exercise! But if you're working long hours, the faster option might be more desirable.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 12:31:35 PM »
Will walking replace other exercise you'd normally do?  Bus to work, walk home seems a good solution (unless you have a shower option when you arrive at work.)

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 02:50:02 PM »
I do 50 minutes biking each way. It is a long time, but I'd rather do that than drive the same time. I know it's only three more years so that's why I do it.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
When I don't crash in my office, I house-sit/dog-sit at a house which is about 50-55 minutes away by foot from my work (when walking with the dog who stops every 10 feet to sniff/pee) or a brisk 20-minute ride at most when I bike. I do this 12 months of the year, even when the temperature drops below -40s. While the bike ride is pretty intense at -40, the walk with the dog allows me to clear up my mind before and after work, and I really enjoy the nice trail which winds around a small lake and is very scenic all year-round.

Edit: the dog is a huge Akita who needs to be very active every day, so I kill two birds with one stone by taking a long walk with him twice a day. He then spends the whole day at my office, mostly lazying around like a good bureaucrat. Life is good. Recently, I've been experimenting with a bike leash attachment. It works relatively well but the dog hates it and walks as slowly as possible just to make me understand he's not happy with the idea.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:26:38 PM by ykphil »

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »
I vote for the option not offered: e-bike every day with tolerable weather, ride the bus when it is really ugly out.

Make sure to get pedal assist (pedelec) as well as throttle control and pedal just as much as you care to- or care not to. In other words, sweat up a storm on the way home and arrive at work crisp and cool if that's what's required.

Three miles will take 12 minutes @15 mph, 9 minutes @ 20mph & use about 75 watt-hours of recharge electricity costing about a penny.  The bike is quite a bit more: from three or four hundred bux to convert one you own to double or triple that to buy a nice commercially manufactured e-bike.

EDIT: Ooops... that's closer to a dime's worth of juice than a penny.  Well, I guess that blows the economics of this out.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:36:39 PM by bobechs »

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 06:36:12 PM »
I did this in my last job - I walked when the weather was nice, about 50-55 minutes each way; rode my bike sometimes, although the downtown traffic was not friendly to bicyclists; and took the bus in bad weather. I really miss it. I like to walk, and didn't mind the nearly two hours out of my day since it combined exercise and  commuting.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 09:52:02 PM »
Edit: the dog is a huge Akita who needs to be very active every day, so I kill two birds with one stone by taking a long walk with him twice a day. He then spends the whole day at my office, mostly lazying around like a good bureaucrat. Life is good. Recently, I've been experimenting with a bike leash attachment. It works relatively well but the dog hates it and walks as slowly as possible just to make me understand he's not happy with the idea.

Could it be that it's simply too hot for the Akita when he's lagging behind? I find this is often the case with my German wirehaired pointer, and she's not even that furry. Try not to bike with dogs above 20 C (might be lower for furry ones). Otherwise she loves it (took some time to get her used to the bike, though). Sweet deal you have going with taking the dog with you into the office, win-win :)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 10:40:38 PM »
I try and keep commuting to sub 80mins as anything more and I don't have enough time for other activities. I would either bus in and walk/jog out (sweating not a problem at the end of the day) or buy an ebike and ride both ways.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 01:48:09 AM »
If I walk to work it's about 50 minutes, like you. It's a nice walk that I do on occasion when the weather's nice and I'm not in a particular hurry, but it's a long walk. I would not want to commit to doing it twice a day. Your other options sound like much more of a realistic amount of time for a regular commute.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 05:56:38 AM »
I'd bike, get to work a little early to change/clean up if sweating.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 06:23:10 AM »
I'd bike as the first option, and then bus to work and walk home as my second option.

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
I used to do that and I loved it. mine was the same. about 3 miles each way. bussing was not an option and there were no bike lanes. just roads with no shoulders and sidewalks. I walked on all nice days and drove the others.

PawPrint3520

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »
My DH buses to work then walks the 50 minutes home. I walked both ways, but my job was only a few days a week.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
I walk about half the time and it is at least 2 hours for the round trip.

I don't have kids or other urgent concerns so I love the time I can spend walking through nature and listening to books

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 06:15:44 AM »
I've recently changed jobs and now get a train from my home (the station is at the bottom of my street) to the city centre, then walk 50 minutes to and from the office.  It's a really nice walk, along the river front and lets me listen to music/podcasts or just the seagulls, clears my head and I can definitely feel myself getting fitter and losing lbs!  I pay £33 a month train - it would be £46 a month by bus, which would get me closer.  I plan on biking the whole way next year.  Winter, I plan to walk in and get a bus at night to the station for an extra £5 a week.  I can cope with the cold and rain but here in Glasgow, it's dark between 3pm-10am October through February pretty much, and that really depresses me.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 07:01:39 AM »
Who says you have to stick with one way all the time?  I'd way choose what you want to do weather permitting.  You could walk one way, take the bus the other, and some buses have bike racks on them.

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 08:50:45 AM »
Who says you have to stick with one way all the time?  I'd way choose what you want to do weather permitting.  You could walk one way, take the bus the other, and some buses have bike racks on them.

Agreed, and I imagine I definitely will, if for nothing else I will just for the sake of mixing it up.
I have started testing the walking route/biking route and both are very doable.
Since I am in a major city, the biking is pretty high octane though so its certainly not just a leisurely stroll.

I am thinking that for my first day next week, it would be best to uber to work ( yes this is the most expensive option) just for the sake of mitigating any stress/ sweat for the already kinda nerve racking first day and then walk home to collect my thoughts/ recap everything I just learned.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
Bikes were invented so that I'd never need to worry about walking a long distance.

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:20 AM »

+1

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 09:14:23 AM »

+1

To put this in context- San Francisco hills.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »
Long ago I used to walk 45 min each way to work and I really enjoyed it. After awhile a friend that I worked with used to drive to my house and walk to work and back with me. She lived further from work, but in the same direction. That was even better. On REALLY bad winter days (not just -40C, but also blowing snow and harsh wind) I'd take the bus. It was so cold waiting for the late bus and so crowded once it showed up I often regretted not just walking.

I'd love to do that same now, but only if I could walk my dog while I was doing it. Unfortunately, due to both his temperament and my office, he wouldn't be a good fit for hanging out with me at my job.

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »
I'd probably bus in, walk home most days. It could be nice to clear your head after work!

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 11:49:57 AM »
An update here after 5 months on the job/commute.
I have been biking or walking to and from work everyday and almost can even imagine using the bus to commute.
It takes about 40 mins to walk and 15 to bike and these are some of the most enjoyable parts of my day.
On days I walk I usually listen to podcasts or audio books or use this as time to catch up on family/ friend phone calls.
Compare dto most of my co-workers, I have saved a considerable amount of $ by taking public trans or uber less than a handful of times.

Some of the days that I bike, I now incorporate hill sprint workouts on the ride home, tackling some of the biggest hills in San Francisco, which pretty much completes my workout for those days which is a great combo.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »
Great update! I'm not surprised that you ended up enjoying the walking and biking! :)

KittyFooFoo

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2015, 06:28:22 PM »
Nice!  I also walk to work (19 min desk to sofa for me) and love it.  I'd add that you save a *lot* of aggravation and annoying stresses compared to contending for space on a packed bus.

Also thanks for reminding me that I should be listening to audio books/podcasts on my commute.  Don't know why I stopped doing that.

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2015, 11:50:19 AM »
Also thanks for reminding me that I should be listening to audio books/podcasts on my commute.  Don't know why I stopped doing that.

Yes, wouldnt it be great to be able to look back on a year of walking to work and to be able to say you read 5+ books in that time alone.