Author Topic: Would you telework a job you didn't like?  (Read 3086 times)

Ysera

• Stubble
Would you telework a job you didn't like?
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:30:45 PM »
So my current job is, erm, dynamically unexciting and often tedious. I knew this going in, but I thought the banker's hours and possibility of telework would be an improvement over my previous job, which was stressful but in a field I really liked. The office culture is toxic and the workload can be unpredictable. However, the pay is good and partial telework may become available to me in the next year.

Would you stay at a job you didn't like if you could telework half of your schedule? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Would you telework a job you didn't like?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:49:18 PM »
I might choose differently now, at the end of my career, but I quit the "very boring but well paid with 100% telecommute" gig. I wasn't using any of my skills and it took about 10% of my brain. There were looong meetings where I surfed the net but sorta had to keep an ear out for my name. The work process was aggravating and, as a software dev, I'd write maybe 50 easy lines of code a week. I wanted to use new technology but it was a slow industry (health insurance) stuck on End Of Life software packages.

In retrospect, I probably should've kept at it and worked on my own projects during the the many meaningless conference calls.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »
Can you find some things about it that you are passionate about? I find that sometimes you just need to change up your thinking and work on things that make you happy. Sometimes that balance is hard, but I find when I'm bored it's because the tasks I have are not challenging or that I don't particularly like to do. When I'm able to mix in the things I do like I generally do better and I'm happier.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:45:59 AM »
I tried it (not all telework but a lot) and it really just accelerated my desire to leave.  I didn't even hate the work, just seeing the green grass on the other side did me in.  I guess it can't hurt to try -- worst case you go back to the office or quit right?

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:32:29 AM »
Yes I would.
Make it work for you.
Take frequent breaks and do you side gigs if time permits.

Good luck with it.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:53:10 AM »
Ugh teleworking a job you dislike is even worse than going into the office.

The hardest part of teleworking for me is motivation and focus. If you dislike what you are doing, getting enough of that taxes you even more heavily.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »
Ugh teleworking a job you dislike is even worse than going into the office.

The hardest part of teleworking for me is motivation and focus. If you dislike what you are doing, getting enough of that taxes you even more heavily.
I think that depends on the individual and on what parts of the job are problematic.  If you dislike your co-workers or your workspace, then working from home could be a perfect solution.  Also, if you have a job that you could get done in an hour or two per day (but have to sit in the office until 5 o'clock or later) then working from home would be great.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »
I think the answer mostly depends on what your other options are...

vs. a job I like that's a short walking or biking commute from home, same pay? no way
vs. a job I don't like that's a 90 minute RT car commute? definitely
vs. a similar job that I like better that doesn't allow telework but pays a bit less? tough call

Personally I don't love working from home - I feel disconnected from my coworkers and the work overall, and getting motivated takes a lot more work. I'm fortunate enough to have the option when I want/need it, but I generally only telework if I'm waiting for the cable guy or something.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 04:02:09 PM »
I probably would; but I'd be pushing for more teleworking.

What is your work pattern like? Could you power through most of your work at the office (while appearing super dedicated) and then ease off on your homeworking days?

ohmylookatthat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 05:04:39 PM »
keep it and just pick up additional side gigs