Author Topic: Would you take an experimental COVID vaccine for $875-$1000?  (Read 1221 times)

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
Would you take an experimental COVID vaccine for $875-$1000?
« on: December 31, 2020, 07:14:07 AM »
There are still several phase 3 clinical trials going on for COVID vaccines or monoclonal antibodies. They are having trouble recruiting participants because everyone is expecting to get an approved vaccine within the next 3-4 months or so (which may or may not pan out). I found a couple of clinical trials recruiting participants in my area, and they pay between roughly $875 and $1000.

Pros:
50% to 66% chance of getting a real vaccine that could prevent a painful episode of COVID*.
Fistful of fun money, or getting about 0.8% closer to FIRE :)
Be a do-gooder.

Cons:
Make at least 3-4 office visits for blood work, injections, interviews, etc. Budget 1.5 hours each, travel included.
COVID risk at visits.
Regular phone / email reporting - for 12-24 months!
Possibly not a great rate of hourly pay.
Potential opportunity for insurance to weasel out of paying for any subsequent condition, related or not

*This could be valuable if the distribution of approved vaccines continues to be screwed up, and it's not in 3-4 months like everyone expects.

So what do you all think? Be a paid guinea pig, or leave these types of opportunities for the people who really ought to take it, like broke service industry workers or high risk medical professionals?

clinicaltrials.gov can be used to find more details about the opportunities I'm talking about.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Would you take an experimental COVID vaccine for $875-$1000?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 08:06:41 AM »
No, because I’m expecting to get the vaccine in a month or so.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »
People are thinking they'll get the vaccine in 3-4 months? I think that's wildly optimistic of them. It's really not going well so far, including a healthcare worker who deliberately left a box of vaccine out overnight, ruining 500 doses (Minnesota or Wisconsin I think). Sure, it would hopefully be better once Biden takes over, but realistically the Feds don't control the State level so it doesn't matter how great the Feds are doing if the States are screwing up.

I didn't consider being on the list initially. My day to day risk is low, so unless that changes or for some reason I really want the money, I'll pass. I don't mind getting the shot. It's the long term involvement I'm not interested in.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 03:27:24 PM »
I'm enrolled in one of the new trials, it's a phase three trial that already started in the UK.  I'm 50 with a long term health complication.  Although my health complication is minor, I am part of the target recruitment population.  I had no idea it would be paid until they called to schedule my first appointment on Monday.  I can't make anyone wear a mask, I'm not clinical, I just viewed this as one way I can do my part, not as a money making opportunity. 

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »
I would consider it, more for the good of humanity than for the money. But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be eligible, since I work from home and my covid exposure is low - they generally want people with high exposure levels to better test the vaccine effectiveness.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 03:46:04 PM »
In theory I would, but in reality I already have my first dose of a current one. I’ve received other experimental drugs and vaccines for less money. Science is cool.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 04:31:51 PM »
I would do it for free if it was in the area and they thought I was a good candidate, but I am also not out as much as they likely need to test exposure and I wear my mask and social distance when I do have to go out. But I do not mind being a guinea pig for the greater good (especially since there's also a chance it could personally benefit me as well).

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 04:40:37 PM »
Yes. I would do it for free, just to get the Covid times over with sooner.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 08:02:44 PM »
I've already had the Moderna vaccine, but I wouldn't have participated anyway because I work from home most days and have minimal exposure to anyone.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:55:23 PM by American GenX »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 01:07:52 AM »
I applied for four trials and was accepted to one, but they turned out not to have any locations in NYC (it turns out I will let you inject experimental drugs into me, but I will not travel to Piscataway on public transit 90+ minutes each way). I think I am seen as a poor candidate (and may have eventually been rejected from the Piscataway study) because of an undiagnosed medical problem I've been dealing with since July. They want high-risk patients, but they want you to be stable and a known quantity, otherwise they won't know if new symptoms are a side effect or your disease/syndrome/whatever-the-heck-is-wrong-with-you. I decided (reluctantly, because I really believe it's important) to stop applying since I realized I could inadvertently harm the reputation of a good vaccine if something unrelated but dramatic happened to me during the trial.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 01:11:33 AM »
Yes, I would if I could. For my peace of mind and as a living example for the anti-vaxxers I know.

Any monetary compensation would be secondary.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 05:01:52 AM »
no

jac941

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 11:30:27 AM »
Yes. Prior to COVID I participated in a vaccine study and one of my children also participated in a vaccine study. I wasn’t paid for those and wouldn’t accept compensation beyond actual expenses incurred to participate in a future study. I consider participating in these as part of our contribution to the greater good of society and never expect to gain anything from it.

Vaccine studies require several blood draws, so it can be a struggle to recruit — especially as they get to young children. One of my children has no problem with needles and would sit quietly through blood draws from 18 months old (even when the phlebotomist missed the vein). I don’t think I’d enroll a child that was freaked out of needles.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!