Author Topic: Would you take a pay cut to telecommute?  (Read 5192 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
Would you take a pay cut to telecommute?
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
I have been offered a position within my current company that will have me telecommuting 100%, with only a few staff meetings per year at the office 2 miles from home. However, the position pays 4k less than I'm currently making. My current position has me driving to homes all over the state in the company car (which I do not bring home). I have started to have some safety concerns with being in some not so great homes in some shady urban areas, as well as remote locations. (Think 1/4 mile long driveways back to falling down shacks with huge rabid dogs tied out). I knew the new position started at less than my current one, but was hoping they wouldn't make me start at the entry wage. I have been told the director has stated the pay is non-negotiable. My current boss is looking into it a bit more, but I'm not hopeful. For reference, both salaries are under 40k.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Re: Would you take a pay cut to telecommute?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 01:12:37 PM »
I telecommute and have been for the last 8 years.

I really liked it for the first few years but I'm sort of sick of the isolation at this point.

I'd say take the telecommute job if:
1. You can afford the paycut
2. It will improve the quality of your life (ie. cut down on commute time, feel safer, etc.)
3. You can use that saved time for side hustle, etc.
4. THis is the biggest one for me - there are clear expectations of when you are working. I've found that telecommuting leads to an assumption that I am always on call and I actually work more from home than I did in the office.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »
It sounds like you want to get away from your current job, so it may be a good move.  Telecommuting would not be the primary driver in my choice, if I were in your shoes.  It sounds like you're going to be doing completely different work, so different salary makes sense, and you're so close to the office that you won't be saving much on any commute expenses anyways.

Personally I think that I would take a pay cut to work from home.  I think that my quality of life would increase quite a bit.  It would be nice to use my own kitchen throughout the day, easily walk or ride bike on my breaks (without needing to shower or change afterwards), and be able to leave my car almost permanently parked.  One caveat is that my employer requires a separate, securable room to work from home (because of the kind of information we deal with).  They strongly discourage moving because they need to have someone from security come out to set up the room in the new home.  Because of this, I would likely need to own a home or be dedicated to my rental in order to do it.

I would likely move to a cheaper town nearby.  My current rent is high because I am so close to downtown, work, etc., and I could save $5000/year by moving 20-30 minutes away.

Just saw StarBright's post.  Side hustle is a great point!  So much easier to sell on craigslist or take personal phone calls if you're home all the time.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
I'd probably agree to a pay cut if it was no bigger than my estimated annual expense from driving to work each day.  But I don't think anyone should have to take a pay cut to work remotely if they're doing the exact same job.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »
At 2 miles commute, telecommute is not really needed.  As others have mentioned, however, it sounds like you would still prefer this new job telecommute or no.  Remember that telecommute actually saves your company money since they don't need to provide an office.  If the salary is non-negotiable could you ask for more vacation days or a home office stipend (since you will need to maintain a workspace)

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
Can you afford the pay cut? Would you like the job better? What is your social situation(married, kids, single, committed relationship, roommates, etc)?

I took a pay cut to telecommute, although the salary was still way above the US average. I am also married with a youngish child, so the WFH makes things really easy and convenient. I am an introvert, but even I get lonely sometimes working from home.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:19:31 AM »
I'd seriously consider it. If you are only make ~$40,000, that's a significant paycut, percentage-wise.  Can you comfortably afford it? 

If the pay is non-negotiable, what about the benefits?  Can you get an extra week of vacation time, for example?  A monthly stipend to put toward your internet service or your phone? 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 07:26:31 AM »
I hate telecommuting, so no.

But I might consider a paycut to work somewhere with a 2 mile commute in a job that I feel is physically safer.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:30:34 AM »
I would definitely take a slight pay cut to telecommute.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 07:38:11 AM »
i'd take a 10% pay cut to telecommute.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »
Some more info: I am married with a son starting school this fall. We can afford the pay cut, as we are debt free aside from our mortgage. However, our savings rate is nowhere near that of some posters 'round these parts. This pay cut would be slightly more than 11%.

I hadn't considered asking for more leave time, but that would definitely interest me. I would not be required to have designated office space in my home (though I do anyway).

I am slightly concerned about feeling isolated, but I spend most of my work time alone in a car now, so it really wouldn't be that different. There are currently 10-12 other people in this role and there are no expectations of work outside the typical 8 hour work day, which includes a paid 1 hour lunch.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
There is a home office thread on Welcome and General Discussion.

I don't care for working from home. I'd much rather walk to the office two miles away.

I wouldn't look at it as taking a pay cut to WFH. Look at it as taking a pay cut to have a totally different job that you would prefer.

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »
My dad switched to telecommuting a couple years ago, and his experience has been "out of sight, out of mind." He works less hours in the day, and can call in/log on from anywhere. Not sure how flexible your spouse's job is, but maybe it would give you some extra flexibility with travel options.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
I have been offered a position within my current company that will have me telecommuting 100%, with only a few staff meetings per year at the office 2 miles from home. However, the position pays 4k less than I'm currently making. My current position has me driving to homes all over the state in the company car (which I do not bring home). I have started to have some safety concerns with being in some not so great homes in some shady urban areas, as well as remote locations. (Think 1/4 mile long driveways back to falling down shacks with huge rabid dogs tied out). I knew the new position started at less than my current one, but was hoping they wouldn't make me start at the entry wage. I have been told the director has stated the pay is non-negotiable. My current boss is looking into it a bit more, but I'm not hopeful. For reference, both salaries are under 40k.

In the private sector, everything is negotiable. The non-negotiable line is used by managers so they don't have to defend/justify their positions, it's much easier to lean on a "policy from above."

With that said, I have no idea if you have any leverage, so not necessarily recommending a line in the sand here.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 08:03:45 PM »

In the private sector, everything is negotiable. The non-negotiable line is used by managers so they don't have to defend/justify their positions, it's much easier to lean on a "policy from above."

With that said, I have no idea if you have any leverage, so not necessarily recommending a line in the sand here.

Some things are effectively non-negotiable.  If there is only $X left in the budget, you can't really negotiate.  They aren't redoing the budget.

Thedarkway

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »
I would definitely do it, heck I would even take a 50% pay cut to be able to telecommute.
Granted my situation might not be typical as I currently have about 3,500 miles between work and my home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 01:22:05 AM »
Do you live in a really small state?  Just asking, because in Oregon it would be impossible to be at one end of the state and back in a work day if you're driving...

There are a lot of factors.  You have a young child.  Working far away while they are in school/daycare can be difficult unless your spouse can easily go pick them up if they get sick, etc. 

How much would you save on clothes?  Would you save more money because you are home and able to start dinner on your break and not tempted to just grab something on the way home?  Are there other current habits that could be broken in order to save some money?

Is your personality such that you could handle the isolation?  Would your job allow you to work from anywhere, or would it have to be a specific place?  (the paper work I've seen for the jobs here pretty much state that you have to be in an "approved" spot, where someone could come randomly inspect to see if you are there with only 20 minutes notice, etc.  So, you could not take your laptop to a coffee shop or local park, etc.) 

If I didn't have my current job, I'd love to work from home.  There is no work-from-home option for my career though (it's hard to physically do a job or handle the emergencies if you aren't physically on site, some days I don't even log onto a computer).

Would you be able to reduce child care expenses?  (If you can't just have the child alone while you're working, could you pay a neighborhood tween/teen a few bucks to come hang out as a "mother's helper"?  They can do their homework, have a snack, play with the kid, etc, and you'd be there "in case of bleeding and broken bones".)

You say you'd have to start at the starting wages, how long would it take to receive a raise? 

If I had safety concerns outside of my control, and could find ways the change would save money, I'd take the telecommute.  But ask for additional vacation/sick time first.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 06:03:38 AM »
Great questions! I am in Ohio, where it is possible to get to anywhere in the state within a day. The new position would not require a specific location, I could work in a coffee shop or elsewhere, although it does involve quite a few phone calls. Working from home would allow me to be home with my child if he was sick, etc. without having to call off, but it would not likely save anything in child care, as he will be watched by a relative when he starts school.

Savings on clothes would be minimal, as I shop exclusively at thrift stores and current dress code is business casual.

My husband has some flexibility in his day-to-day work obligations, but would not be able to travel while working.

I wouldn't look at it as taking a pay cut to WFH. Look at it as taking a pay cut to have a totally different job that you would prefer.

I think this is more the angle I need to be looking at. I'm beginning to have a lot of anxiety surrounding my current position, and have had some health-related issues (being on the road in remote locales without access to a restroom means I go all day without drinking anything, which has led to dehydration issues). And I've already mentioned safety concerns, in addition to traffic-related safety issues.

I feel like I should give them an answer today, as we have a three day weekend and I don't want to drag it out any longer. What is the typical expectation for mulling over an offer, time- wise?

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
Thought I had my mind made up, but then flip-flopped again. There is a good chance in my current position my coverage area will be cut in half (along with my work load) in the coming months, which would increase my job satisfaction exponentially. Also, I forgot to mention I have the option currently to work from home two days a week, which would be even more advantageous when my work load decreases and I can actually stay at home those days rather than be out traveling. So I guess it would kind of be the best of both worlds if/when that happens. I really do think things will be changing for the better in my current position, it's just that I've grown impatient. Plus, I really love my current boss and don't think I'll find another one as supportive. I have taken time off recently for appointments and therapies for my son, which is always more pleasant to do with an understanding boss.

And also, I'm kind of afraid of the isolation of being at home 100% of the time.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »

Some things are effectively non-negotiable.  If there is only $X left in the budget, you can't really negotiate.  They aren't redoing the budget.

That's exactly what they want you to believe.  "Budgets" are excellent scapegoats. Sure, there's a limit to wiggle room, but healthy businesses have flexibility.  Of course, that flexibility is only available to those with leverage and the confidence to use it from time to time.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 04:13:52 PM »

That's exactly what they want you to believe.  "Budgets" are excellent scapegoats. Sure, there's a limit to wiggle room, but healthy businesses have flexibility.  Of course, that flexibility is only available to those with leverage and the confidence to use it from time to time.

They want you to believe it because it's true.  Sure, if you have incriminating photos of the CEO, anything can happen.  But if they are already giving you a non-negotiable offer it's effectively non-negotiable 99% of the time.  If you had leverage, they would have already tried to negotiate with you.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
With the update in the possible coming change of your duties, it sounds like you might be happier with that option.  Is there any way to know "for sure" if your job would change before you make your decision?  The new info makes it a much more difficult choice!  And I agree, a good, understanding boss is a big thing to lose.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 06:22:19 AM »
With the update in the possible coming change of your duties, it sounds like you might be happier with that option.  Is there any way to know "for sure" if your job would change before you make your decision?  The new info makes it a much more difficult choice!  And I agree, a good, understanding boss is a big thing to lose.

There's no way to know for sure, but they've been committed to the changes for a few months now, just waiting on some other budgetary matters. So it's not really new information, and definitely not something they came up with to persuade me to stay in my current position. But like I said, my patience is waning. The more I think about it, I just know if I change positions and a few months down the road, they move forward with the planned changes, I will regret having not hung around longer.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 04:12:29 PM »

They want you to believe it because it's true.  Sure, if you have incriminating photos of the CEO, anything can happen.  But if they are already giving you a non-negotiable offer it's effectively non-negotiable 99% of the time.  If you had leverage, they would have already tried to negotiate with you.

An agree to disagree situation I suppose. You continue taking "non-negotiable" economic deals, I'll continue to raise them. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »

An agree to disagree situation I suppose. You continue taking "non-negotiable" economic deals, I'll continue to raise them.

I agree to nothing

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!