Author Topic: Would you take a job you don't want for more money and a shorter commute?  (Read 14025 times)

superone!

• Stubble
UPDATE: I received an offer for 35% more than my current position!

Okay, so I have my dream job, pretty much. I love what I do and the people I work with. I have a great time at work, excellent benefits, I feel like I'm getting recognition for my position, etc. I get every other Friday off, and I work at home on Wednesdays. I'm living the dream.

However (A BIG however) I have two problems with my current employment:
1) I have a 30 mile-each-way commute, that in LA traffic can take 1-2 hours each direction. (I can't afford to move closer, see #2)
2) I am not really making as much money as I'd like to be making, and that I think my skill-set could command at the right company. By lets say 30%. (Current small company has been in financially unstable, so a raise, even just a little one, is unlikely anytime soon.)

I applied to, and interviewed this morning, for a new position at a big, well-paying company. It is easy biking distance from my home. I can definitely do the work. I would be at least adequate at it, but the work will not be nearly as fun and engaging as my work is now, and rather than working with a great team, I'd be on my own quite a bit. I might like the work okay, or I might hate the work, but there is little chance that I'll get the joy I get each day at my job now.

If I get a job offer from this company that meets my requested salary (30%+ more than I'm making now) do I take the job? Would you?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:02:19 PM by superone! »

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
A tough one, but yes I would take the job. You are getting 2-4 hours of your life back every day, but 30% more money to hit FIRE sooner(plus commute costs).

That being said, use the other company and the traffic to parlay yourself into more working from home. Instead of just Wednesday, what about Wed and Thurs? Or Mon, Wed, Fri? Thus reducing the worst part of the job.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
There's no way in hell I could spend 2-4 hours commuting each day, so personally I would take the new job if offered.  However, if you really like the work at your current job maybe you could use the job offer (if you get it) to help you request more time working from home.  Of course, that's a benefit that sometimes gets taken away due to reorgs, new bosses, current boss changing his mind, etc.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I wouldn't! The last job I took like that I lasted nine months. I just couldn't be bummed out every day to go to work.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
I would love to work independently instead of with a bunch of people! If that doesn't suit your personality, wy not move closer to your current job that you love?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What does your heart say?

LAGuy

• Bristles
The key to happiness living in LA is a short commute. But I have to ask, why do you think the new job won't be as good as the old? They say the grass isn't usually greener, but then again it isn't usually browner either. I've found at the end of the day most jobs are the same...one isn't too much more terrible than another. Pay and commute distance are usually the big defining characteristics. And if it is real bad, long as you didn't burn your bridges you might be able to go back to the old job. I think for more money, better commute you have got to pull the trigger unless for some reason you think the new job won't just be as fun but it'll be down right MISERABLE. Nothing is worth being miserable.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
Once you go to a short commute, you will never go back. Even if you don't like the new job, you can always look for a new one. And from now on, make sure you always live close to work or work close to home.

Case

• Pencil Stache
Okay, so I have my dream job, pretty much. I love what I do and the people I work with. I have a great time at work, excellent benefits, I feel like I'm getting recognition for my position, etc. I get every other Friday off, and I work at home on Wednesdays. I'm living the dream.

However (A BIG however) I have two problems with my current employment:
1) I have a 30 mile-each-way commute, that in LA traffic can take 1-2 hours each direction. (I can't afford to move closer, see #2)
2) I am not really making as much money as I'd like to be making, and that I think my skill-set could command at the right company. By lets say 30%. (Current small company has been in financially unstable, so a raise, even just a little one, is unlikely anytime soon.)

I applied to, and interviewed this morning, for a new position at a big, well-paying company. It is easy biking distance from my home. I can definitely do the work. I would be at least adequate at it, but the work will not be nearly as fun and engaging as my work is now, and rather than working with a great team, I'd be on my own quite a bit. I might like the work okay, or I might hate the work, but there is little chance that I'll get the joy I get each day at my job now.

If I get a job offer from this company that meets my requested salary (30%+ more than I'm making now) do I take the job? Would you?

Not really a question you can have answered on an internet forum.  The answer depends on how the other job will it turn out.  Will you despise it?  If so, then giving up a job you love is probably the wrong choice, even with the limitations.  If it's not great but doesn't make you hate yourself? In this case, possible.

If you haven't had a job yet that you dread going into everyday, give it a try and you will be astounded at how miserable you can be even if you are making the big-bucks.  To this end, timeframes are important too.  Working  job you hate for 1 year vs 5 years vs 15 years is huge; do-able vs hard but end in site vs potential suicide.

gigi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
For me, and I agree with those who said it's a very personal decision, it would depend on other things:
How long do you see yourself staying at your current job? A few more years? Till retirement (early or otherwise)?
Will there be raises at some point in the future?
If a small -possible- change happens at your job: change in management, change in coworkers; would that affect your happiness tremendously? You don't want to stay and have things go sour.

As for commutes, I choose to pay exorbitant amounts in rent to live by my work because I enjoy my job. Commutes make me miserable. But I also value job satisfaction and quality of life more than ER so YMMV.

superone!

• Stubble
Re: Would you take a job you don't want for more money and a shorter commute?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 07:01:17 AM »
Thank you all for your replies!!

Re: not moving closer to my current job - my partner would have to reverse-commute back to where we are now for school, so that, plus the fact that we're currently trying to live on just my income, coupled with double-the-rent-for-half-the-space (and loving our current, very walkable neighborhood) is why we don't move.

The reason I don't think I'd like the new job (if I get it) as much as my current one is because I'll be going from doing something really fun, creative, and collaborative (but also analytical) to something that is primarily analyzing spreadsheets and writing compliance reports. The positions are really different. I can do them both, and on the surface, they are both dealing with the same set of issues--but the day to day would be really really different, and I know I'd miss the work I'm doing now.

If I stay at my current job, I plan to stay for at least another year, but my partner and I are looking to move out of the LA area sometime in 2017 if we can find jobs in another area of the country. If I took the new job, that might give me a mental "out" that I could quit when we moved. (Then again there are things to consider like having a job-hopper-like resume, and the fact that my current job probably better positions me for the type of work I'd like to be doing in the future. I've only been in my current job a year and a half.)

This is such an odd position though, because I feel like I'd have to take the new job if it was offered, but I find myself almost wishing that I *don't* get offered the job...

chubbybunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 07:31:17 AM »
Take the new job.  New experiences are the best learning opportunity.  I had a somewhat-similar career change a couple years ago.  Found a job I thought was my dream, turned out it was a really difficult adjustment because the work is 100% telecommute and it's all individual assignments.  I really struggled at the beginning because I missed how much I worked with people in my previous job.  However, I've found a good balance, love it now, and am so glad I kept at it. 

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 07:42:12 AM »
I would be more concerned about the fact that you say your current company is "financially unstable." If they cannot offer you a raise, even a small COLA, is there a chance you will be laid off? Or some of your coworkers will be and your work load will increase?

I once had a job I loved until the nonprofit I was working for had massive funding problems, it went from a great job to horribly unstable, people leaving and their work load being put on those of us who remained and a large salary & benefits cut for everyone. All of this happened practically overnight. Unfortunately, I still had to stay for a year before I could find something else.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 07:48:56 AM »
A shorter commute makes a huge difference.  Every day it's extra time to do things that you want.  Extra money means that you will be able to do things that you want all the time a little bit sooner.  That said, working currently eats up a large part of your day.  If you think you would be miserable at the new job, it's probably not worth it.  If you're just unsure about the new job . . . it's probably worth giving it a shot.  If the new job doesn't work out, you can always find something else.

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
I'm reviving this thread, since I got an official offer today!

Off is for 35% more than I'm making now. Commute would go from 30 miles to 2 miles. I'm really unsure whether or not to take it! I feel like I love my current position, and I'd be really sad to leave it, but that's a lot of money for me to say no to...

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 12:07:38 PM »
does the commute really not bother you?
That would absolutely be my biggest reason. You keep talking about the money but I would not take a job 1-2 hours away even if it doubled my pay.

ROY2007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 12:19:05 PM »
Can you bring your offer to the current job in hopes they'll open their wallet and give you a raise?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 12:22:39 PM »
I was in a *similar* situation, except I'm not entirely fascinated by the work I'm doing regardless of where I am LOL.

For me it was a no-brainer, despite having a really short commute already, to take the new offer telecommuting and with more pay (and with a larger company). It looks good on the resume and despite the actual work either being the same as what it was before or "not as fun" I was ready to ditch the old company anyway due to them giving me advance termination notice (this part is obviously different for you). But even if the old company were "more fun" and I didn't receive advance termination, I would still be hard-pressed to turn down this offer considering it's more money... telecommuting wasn't a *huge* factor in my decision at that point in time - the overriding factors were A) The company was going to let me go
B) I received an offer at a bigger company for higher pay

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 12:26:01 PM »
I think it depends on how many years you have left to work - that may determine if you value a shorter commute or more enjoyable work.

My DH was in a similar decision process:
Current Job: work is boring (paper-pusher), pay/benefits are excellent, boss is okay, major OT required in Spring/Fall, commute 7 miles one way
New Offer: awesome position (hands-on/challenging), pay/benefits are pretty good, boss is good, OT is random, commute 32 miles one way thru a downtown center city.

He has 6 more years (4 if he makes some spending concessions!) to work before FIRE.

He was super excited about the new job until I made him drive the commute during rush hour - he declined the offer the next day.  He now has a completely different perspective on his current job and is finding more joy / challenges outside of work.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 12:26:49 PM »

Off is for 35% more than I'm making now. Commute would go from 30 miles to 2 miles. I'm really unsure whether or not to take it! I feel like I love my current position, and I'd be really sad to leave it, but that's a lot of money for me to say no to...

Congrats! That sounds really hard *not* to take. But I do agree, depending on the relationship with your current manager/director, that you ought to consider seeing if the current place will counter - you do have to be careful with this so as to not burn bridges and preserve your image (e.g. you don't want to be the guy who was gonna jump ship for higher pay and used that to swindle more money out of the current place, even though that's not how it is - I suppose you'd have to really convince them that you love working at your current place and see what they could offer).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:28:59 PM by jplee3 »

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 12:34:07 PM »

That is a HUGE raise. Can you counter offer for even more?  Unless you're sure you would be completely miserable, I would absolutely take the for the hours back in my day alone, let alone the increase to the income. 

Plus if you're planning to relocate in a year or so, having that higher salary will be key in landing a job with a larger salary. And you can always go back to a more creative position in your new location, but with a much higher salary history.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »
That is a tough one but for that commute I would take the new job.  You will be getting at least 15-20% of your waking hours back. 

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 01:04:20 PM »
I would take the job. Also, you said you might move away in 2017. This new company being a bigger company, do they have other locations? That could give you a transfer option rather than looking for a new job.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:56:03 AM by SKL-HOU »

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 01:10:51 PM »
Take the job if you get it. You never appreciate how it is to live close to work until you actually do it. I originally was living in the same building(!) as my workplace (condos connected to main office building), then moved across the street. Commute was literally 5 minutes. I was able to go home for lunch, change clothes quickly, sleep in, do more things on my personal time, which generally improved my overall happiness. Not to mention more money saved because you can now bike or walk + higher salary.

I have since had to move 20 minutes away - which is nothing, but even losing the ability to go home for lunch and easily go in and out sucks. I don't think I could ever do anything more than 30 minutes at any point now. Sure there's a small chance you hate it, but just remember it's bringing you financially closer to early retirement.

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
Thank you for all of these replies!! I'm probably leaning towards taking it, but I'm still having a hard time picturing actually leaving my current job!

Question: Is it rude to try to negotiate when they are offering something within the range I initially stated, or is it foolish not to try to negotiate at least a little bit? I don't want to leave money on the table, but I don't want to come across as a greedy jerk either. (For the record, they don't know my current salary--I was able to keep that confidential--just the range I asked for).

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »
That would absolutely be my biggest reason. You keep talking about the money but I would not take a job 1-2 hours away even if it doubled my pay.

And YES the commute DOES bother me!! Especially in my 39 year old car without A/C!! That's the biggest reason I even considered a job switch. And I could totally ditch the car instead of replacing it. (And possibly justify upgrading my 50 year old bike.)
But I find that actually liking what I'm doing for 9+hours every day also matters a lot.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 02:15:12 PM »
Thank you for all of these replies!! I'm probably leaning towards taking it, but I'm still having a hard time picturing actually leaving my current job!

Question: Is it rude to try to negotiate when they are offering something within the range I initially stated, or is it foolish not to try to negotiate at least a little bit? I don't want to leave money on the table, but I don't want to come across as a greedy jerk either. (For the record, they don't know my current salary--I was able to keep that confidential--just the range I asked for).

The rule is "always negotiate", but depending on if you are in a position of weakness or strength, that can vary. I got a 27% increase moving from one job to the next and didn't negotiate because I had zero bargaining power (young and still inexperienced). However, if you are more experienced and you know you bring lots to the table, it's worth a try. I would suggest going to sites like glassdoor.com to see what are the typical salary ranges for similar positions and using that as a metric first. A nice way to say it: "Typical people in positions like these earn X and I have Y years experience, I was wondering if there was any flexibility in the salary amount?"

If salary is out of the question, you can also maybe negotiate on vacation time?

It's definitely always an awkward thing, but as long as you don't high-ball them with an unfounded number and you do your research, they should understand. If they say no, just shrug it off with a smile and say: "I was told it never hurts to ask!"

act0fgod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »
Are you the type of person that can leave work and forget about it?  If yes then take the money and shorter commute.  If you end up taking stress from work home, I'd consider staying with the job you currently enjoy.

I left a job that would have allowed me to retire earlier for a job that has less stress that I take home.

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 08:12:44 PM »
I already work a job I don't want for a lot of money and a super short commute! I really do dislike my job (it's what's inspired me to gain early retirement). However, my job has an amazing work:life balance. I have a two mile commute. I can't tell you how great it is. I've lived in LA, and done the crazy commute. I understand that you really enjoy your job now, but you're already working towards early retirement...even if you hate the job, you'll still have more time in the evenings AND be able to retire that much sooner!

OvertheRainbow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 01:07:42 AM »
Normally I am all about following your heart, but 2-4 hrs of a commute is ridiculous! And a 35% pay raise? Take it!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
Your pay per hour is going to almost double.

If you currently make $100k and spend 40 hours of work plus 15 hours commuting vs $135k and 42 hours a week...

Loosely doing math of $100k/55 vs $135k/42 gives... 1.81 vs 3.2. That's almost a factor of two difference, and is also ignoring any cost savings from driving, any time savings if you bike and can cut gym time, etc.

SeanMC

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 07:37:42 AM »
I know I'm just adding to the chorus, but I have a hard time imagining a situation where it isn't worth it to get out of that commute (and 35% more money is an added bonus).

As flawed as it is, almost all research on happiness indicates how important a short commute is for overall well-being and quality of life.

I've experienced this personally as well and would not go back to a long commute unless I had pretty much no choice (or was getting paid enough for it to be only a very short amount of time of that commute).

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 07:46:23 AM »
I might like the work okay, or I might hate the work, but there is little chance that I'll get the joy I get each day at my job now.

Unless it's being a mop boy at a peep show why make such a decision about your joy before you're experiencing it? And why not make that decision opposite? You can get paid more and still find joy and fulfillment at the potential new job. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 07:46:43 AM »
Hell of a tradeoff. Kind of a personal call, but I'd say it's worth it if you can save enough to punch out before you start to hate life.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 07:47:35 AM »

And YES the commute DOES bother me!! Especially in my 39 year old car without A/C!! That's the biggest reason I even considered a job switch. And I could totally ditch the car instead of replacing it. (And possibly justify upgrading my 50 year old bike.)
But I find that actually liking what I'm doing for 9+hours every day also matters a lot.

None of us can tell you what the perfect decision is but in my opinion I think you've got to take it man... With the huge pay increase and 3 extra hours each day I think it's a no-brainier. I don't know what your long term plans are but I know most people on here are trying to retire so if that is the case then remember that all this "work" stuff is just a means to an end. It is nice to love your job but the extra time each day and the years shaved off your financial independence would be worth it for me.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »
take the job

pompera_firpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
Oh my God, take it. TAKE IT.

I changed jobs last year from an hour-commute-by-train job to a ten-minutes-by-bike job and got back two hours of my life, every day. And I loved the job I had before-- loved the people, loved the work, found it personally fulfilling-- but the change to my life has been even more dramatic than I ever expected. I don't have to leave the house until 8 in the morning, and I'm home before 5. If I start feeling sick during the day, I can be home shortly after telling my boss I'm leaving. I work near the library and can walk over to get a new book at lunch. And I don't have to pay money to commute, which is AMAZING.

The amount this job would have had to suck in order to out-weigh the benefits of the 10-minute bike commute is just epic.

Look, if you're going anywhere else in the country, all you have to do to explain why you changed jobs will be to explain that the commute was killing you. In my experience, everyone will understand. These days, being able to avoid a long commute is becoming an odd kind of status symbol. You will be envied and admired.

And... yes, NEGOTIATE. I didn't negotiate, and I regret that. If you're not comfortable negotiating salary (at a 35% increase, good grief, I would feel odd about that), then negotiate time off. At the very least, make sure you'll have the same number of PTO days that you do now.

strongmag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »
This was me about 6 months ago! Really, very similar situations. I changed positions, don't like the new position as much but love the extra time out of the car - I cook more, exercise more, read more, etc. Miss my old team a lot but glad I made the switch. Even though I was in a similar situation to you on the salary percentage, I did negotiate for a bit more by pointing to some of the differences in benefit package. Good luck with your decision!

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »
SO-- I told my boss and my VP this morning about the offer.
They countered, but they couldn't match the salary--they offered 7k less than the new position.

I had ALMOST psyched myself into accepting the counteroffer...(I really love my job!)....but then I drove home and had an hour and forty minutes to think about continuing to spend 2-4 hours a day in the car..... and I worry that if I take the counteroffer I'll spend 2-4 hours a day every day thinking about how I could have already been home...stashing away 7k extra a year.

And I'm pretty sure I have to take the new job. :)

Thank you all SO much for weighing in. This is the hardest career decision I've ever had to make!

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
Don't forget to negotiate the new job offer as well! Make it even more worth it!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 07:32:39 AM »
You can absolutely, 100% still negotiate, even if the offer was within your range.  If the offer was actually OVER the range you offered I would question negotiating for more, but in your case I would 100% do it.

I would say "I was thinking more along the lines of [10-15% more than offer, or whatever is reasonable for the range]."  And do it over the phone (better than email), and play it cool. 

I was offered a job with a 70% raise from my current salary, and I still negotiated for more. (Just a few thousand more since the offer was at the top of a set range already, but more money is more money.)  They also didn't know my current salary so I was in a great position. Initial offers are almost never the highest and best offer.

pompera_firpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 08:00:08 AM »
This was me about 6 months ago! Really, very similar situations. I changed positions, don't like the new position as much but love the extra time out of the car - I cook more, exercise more, read more, etc. Miss my old team a lot but glad I made the switch. Even though I was in a similar situation to you on the salary percentage, I did negotiate for a bit more by pointing to some of the differences in benefit package. Good luck with your decision!

FIST-BUMP OF JUSTICE FOR SWITCHING JOBS FOR A SHORT COMMUTE! We may have been doing this at the very same time. Good on you re: negotiating for the differences in benefit package; I am still kicking myself for not doing that. Oh, well.

EOS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 09:45:52 AM »
Congrats on the offer and new gig!!

I would have taken the new opportunity as well

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »
I would definitely take it.

The 10-15 hours of additional free time a week, plus 35% pay raise will make the new gig that much more bearable.

Plus, its a new anchor point in your compensation. You can work there for a year or two and use the job as a stepping stone to something more rewarding WITH higher pay.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
Sounds like you gave them a range and they came back within that range. I've heard the first rule of negotiation is that you win by getting the other party to be first to give a number. Still, you can negotiate other aspects of the job to help mitigate your concerns that you will dread coming in to work; things like schedule or work from home flexibility.

Would I take the job? Yes. You've stated that you love your current job and you're not sure if you'll like the offered job. Taking into account the tendency most of us have to be biased toward the familiar, the reduced commute time/costs, and my own joy when I cycle commute; I predict that your overall life happiness will increase by taking this job. There is a risk that you may HATE this new job; but the risk/benefit seems acceptable. If you do end up hating this job, you can look for a new one after giving this one a fair chance - and your new salary won't hurt in negatiating a future job's salary.

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
I've officially accepted the offer!

After I told my VP (the one who counteroffered) he said "You're definitely making the right decision. I'd do the same thing if I were you."  Which really made me feel better about leaving a good place.

I didn't push too hard on salary negotiation for the new position, because really I already feel like I did the negotiation part when I named a range that was over 30% of my salary and they got in it! I did negotiate a slightly later start date though, giving myself a much needed week off in between jobs :)

I'll post again once I have more to report on how the new commute and job are going.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »
Congratulations on your new gig-I bet you'll be very happy with the switch.  Best of luck!

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
Congratulations, I think you made the right decision.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 10:20:57 AM »

After I told my VP (the one who counteroffered) he said "You're definitely making the right decision. I'd do the same thing if I were you."  Which really made me feel better about leaving a good place.

I didn't push too hard on salary negotiation for the new position, because really I already feel like I did the negotiation part when I named a range that was over 30% of my salary and they got in it! I did negotiate a slightly later start date though, giving myself a much needed week off in between jobs :)

I'll post again once I have more to report on how the new commute and job are going.

I am super jealous. Enjoy the extra free time opportunity.

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 08:04:08 AM »

Congratulations! Approach the new job thinking about its positives. Actively list ways in which it's better than your current situation. Worse case scenario, if you really don't end up enjoying the nature of the work, try to stick it out for a year and use your new salary to get an offer that's comparable or better.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!