Author Topic: Would you stay or would you go?  (Read 2316 times)

Nemesis.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Zazzle site
Would you stay or would you go?
« on: March 21, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »
I'd like to get some outside opinions on something.

I currently have a plan to FIRE in about 7 years.
This is comprised of staying at my current *relatively* high paying job for another year and a half in State A, then moving to State B closer to family for the remaining 5+ years.

The reason for staying at the current job is that I'm licensed in State A but not State B.
I'll have to be licensed in State A for another 1.5 years before I can get licensed in State B.
If I move prior to that, I can expect to take at least a 10% pay cut and it might be harder to get a job.

The problem with this plan is that I hate my current job. This is mostly due to certain people who I work with (that won't be going anywhere ) and the general unprofessionalism of the firm. I don't really sleep well due to the stress from working with these people.
There is also the fact that business in State A is slowing down and though slim, there is the chase of a layoff.

So just curious, if this was you, would you stick it out to keep on track to meet your FIRE goal or would you bail and take the pay cut for a potentially better situation and to be around family?

AnotherFI_IT_Guy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Would you stay or would you go?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
Hmm,

I'd have to say that a 10% pay cut can be very reasonable for increased happiness and being closer to family.  So, searching for a job in state B, while still employed in state A could work for you.

Or, look for a new job in state A that has a culture you like better.

Either way, don't quit the job you have until you have the new one lined up in whichever state.

Good luck!

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:46:57 AM »
I'd like to get some outside opinions on something.

I currently have a plan to FIRE in about 7 years.
This is comprised of staying at my current *relatively* high paying job for another year and a half in State A, then moving to State B closer to family for the remaining 5+ years.

The reason for staying at the current job is that I'm licensed in State A but not State B.
I'll have to be licensed in State A for another 1.5 years before I can get licensed in State B.
If I move prior to that, I can expect to take at least a 10% pay cut and it might be harder to get a job.

The problem with this plan is that I hate my current job. This is mostly due to certain people who I work with (that won't be going anywhere ) and the general unprofessionalism of the firm. I don't really sleep well due to the stress from working with these people.
There is also the fact that business in State A is slowing down and though slim, there is the chase of a layoff.

So just curious, if this was you, would you stick it out to keep on track to meet your FIRE goal or would you bail and take the pay cut for a potentially better situation and to be around family?

Easy solution to difficulty getting job in State B: Apply for Job B, then once accepted, move to State B.  Don't just move there without a job.

10% pay reduction + family is worth it (provided there isn't a majorly increased cost of living).  Just make sure you don't wind up with another job you hate.... and be aware of whether this is just grass-is-greener syndrome.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:18:31 AM »
Are you a lawyer, and so moving before the 5-year period would require taking a new Bar exam?  If so, I would stick it out.  I have had to take a second Bar while working (and with a toddler), and, boy, it was a totally different level of hell than taking it over the summer after law school when I had nothing to do but study and work lunch shifts for spending money.  I have since told DH that he may look for new jobs only in states that would allow me to waive in.  Never again.

If you're in a different field and getting relicensed is just sort of an annoyance, then, yeah, 10% is a small price to pay, as long as you are confident you can get a job before you are licensed in your new state.  Or why not start the licensing process now while you are still employed so that you will be ready to make the move/a more desirable hire should you get laid off or just decide you can't take it any more?

Del Griffith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »
The only reason I would discourage moving is if the move would compromise or prevent you from getting your license in State B in any way. If your current active State A license + 1.5 more years of State A license + certification = State B license, and you are certain you can obtain that in 1.5 years, it sounds like a not so bad trade off. A one year push out FIRE to be closer to family and friends could be worth it. Also, you are moving closer to your safety net if anything were to go terribly wrong, knock on wood. If, though, to get licensed in State B you NEED to obtain those credentials in State A first, I'd stay put.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!