Author Topic: Would you play a Mustachian computer game? (GREENLIT)  (Read 50468 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Would you play a Mustachian computer game?
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »
Yeah, that's what I said.

;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
I'm waiting for a quote on an art-related thing, but I think I'm close to knowing how much money this will take. Anyone in this thread, sound off if you would be willing to pledge and/or whether you want to be part of the free alpha. Here are the pledge tiers I was considering:

$5: You get a digital copy of the game before it's publicly released, and a copy of the game when it appears on any other channels (like Steam).

$10: Digital copy of the game, plus an opportunity to play the beta. Your name will be in the credits and you'll have a chance to influence the game! (limited)

$25: Super Beta! All the rewards of the previous level, plus a personal touch added to the game: a new item, character, or quest - designed by you! (limited)

$100: Be a part of the game! You or your character get a house in Societyville, populated by family, or challenges, or bonus items to be found by the player.
(Only one, though I have room for two or three $100-level rewards based on the same concept.)

$1000: Personal financial advice and career counseling from the creator! I will seriously analyze your financial situation and then give you thorough personal advice. The advice will be "Don't spend $1000 on Kickstarter."

Quote from: Dr. Doom
I'd love to play this game, provide QA testing, file bugs and give feedback.
It looks like an old school RPG with updated graphics... very interesting.
Other than all the financial mechanics and a less linear environment, it is definitely an old school RPG. Thanks for your interest.

Quote from: Theadyn
Sign me up!   I've been playing the same streaming online game (that I won't mention to avoid facepunches) for six years now.  Would provide good feedback.  :-)
I don't know how similar it will feel to WoW, but thanks for your interest.

It's ProgressQuest, isn't it?

http://www.progressquest.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progress_Quest
Man, that takes me back. I discovered Progress Quest when I was working in an IT department and for a week or so we were all running it behind our work, sharing some of the funny randomly generated things.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »
Those tiers seem reasonable, especially the rewards for the highest two.  9)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »
I'm waiting for a quote on an art-related thing, but I think I'm close to knowing how much money this will take. Anyone in this thread, sound off if you would be willing to pledge and/or whether you want to be part of the free alpha. Here are the pledge tiers I was considering:

$5: You get a digital copy of the game before it's publicly released, and a copy of the game when it appears on any other channels (like Steam).

I'd be in for the alpha, and more then likely chip in if you kickstart. I am wondering though, would you be allowed to offer a copy of the game if it goes onto steam? They want their piece of the pie to, would they let you give out however many games are backed?

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2014, 07:36:54 PM »
I'd love to help if you're still looking for testers.
I've done beta and alpha testing for path of exile... and some other smaller games.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2014, 01:07:05 AM »
I'd be in for the alpha, and more then likely chip in if you kickstart. I am wondering though, would you be allowed to offer a copy of the game if it goes onto steam? They want their piece of the pie to, would they let you give out however many games are backed?
I'll have to check - I know other project creators have been able to send backers promotional codes lowering the price of the game to free, but I don't actually know if that applies to Steam or a few other channels. I should probably change the pledge text to be more generic, since I can't promise it for everything. Thanks for bringing it up.

I'd love to help if you're still looking for testers.
I've done beta and alpha testing for path of exile... and some other smaller games.
I will be looking for a few alpha testers, yes. Your interest is noted, but I'll announce the official request in the thread later once that phase of the project is organized.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2014, 07:57:27 AM »
Regarding the tiers, I'd call the 3rd something different than "Super Beta".  Perhaps also just permit the naming or creation of an item or character, and leave the quest off for the higher levels.

Also, maybe I'm just not enough of a gamer (although I too did play that streaming game for 2-3 years...), but what's the difference here in copies of the game mentioned in tier 1?  A digital and electronic?  Just seems one would be all that is necessary to offer.  And for the last tier, if you are seriously offering it, don't forget "all of the rewards of the previous levels" and maybe offer something additional game-wise (e.g. A special set of challenges inspired by you, and take that off the $100 level).

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »

I backed Banner Saga for $10 (which IMO was a great deal, as I now get all three games in the saga for free) and they were able to offer it through Steam for free for backers.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2014, 06:10:27 PM »
Regarding the tiers, I'd call the 3rd something different than "Super Beta".  Perhaps also just permit the naming or creation of an item or character, and leave the quest off for the higher levels.

Also, maybe I'm just not enough of a gamer (although I too did play that streaming game for 2-3 years...), but what's the difference here in copies of the game mentioned in tier 1?  A digital and electronic?  Just seems one would be all that is necessary to offer.  And for the last tier, if you are seriously offering it, don't forget "all of the rewards of the previous levels" and maybe offer something additional game-wise (e.g. A special set of challenges inspired by you, and take that off the $100 level).
Thanks for the suggestions. You're right that it's probably better to focus the third tier.

As for the different versions, I don't understand either, but this is something people seem to want. The gameplay experience will be exactly the same anywhere, but apparently some people like to have another copy sitting in another account - perhaps for organization purposes, perhaps because there are perks to the system. It would probably be easier to move the game to a different computer from a Steam account, for example.

The last tier is a joke. If someone actually selected it... I'd have to talk to them about their motivation, I guess.

$1000: Personal financial advice and career counseling from the creator! I will seriously analyze your financial situation and then give you thorough personal advice. The advice will be "Don't spend $1000 on Kickstarter."
Bwahaha! I know someone who needs this financial advice, I'm pretty sure he's spent this much on other Kickstarters.
I would probably pitch in at the $5-25 range however, which would be the first Kickstarter I've contributed to :)
Thanks! I'm trying to produce a game that will be worth your money, at the reasonable levels.

I backed Banner Saga for $10 (which IMO was a great deal, as I now get all three games in the saga for free) and they were able to offer it through Steam for free for backers.
Good to know, thanks.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »
Alright, everyone, it's alpha testing time. I need a handful of volunteers.

It would be more accurate to call this the first round of the beta, because almost everything in the game is in place. What I can't guarantee is that I didn't introduce any game-breaking bugs while I was adding and fixing other things. The balance may also be a little rough, because I was constantly tweaking as I played and I haven't run another full game to see how well those tweaks add together.

No expertise is needed at this stage, though familiarity with the genre would probably improve your experience. All you need is some free time you want to spend here (there's no real deadline) and a willingness to jot down your experiences as you play. Once I have a few volunteers, I'll PM everyone the link.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »

It would be more accurate to call this the first round of the beta, because almost everything in the game is in place. What I can't guarantee is that I didn't introduce any game-breaking bugs while I was adding and fixing other things. The balance may also be a little rough, because I was constantly tweaking as I played and I haven't run another full game to see how well those tweaks add together.

No expertise is needed at this stage, though familiarity with the genre would probably improve your experience. All you need is some free time you want to spend here (there's no real deadline) and a willingness to jot down your experiences as you play. Once I have a few volunteers, I'll PM everyone the link.

I'm In!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »

Meeeee!

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »
Add me in please

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2014, 02:48:22 AM »
Okay, between here and other forums, I have plenty of people. As I said, other people in this thread can still participate if they really want to play the alpha instead of a later version, but it may be tricky to juggle everyone's feedback.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the standard controls aren't well-known everywhere:
Z - select/interact
X - menu/cancel
Shift - run

EDIT JR: Well, it didn't take long to find a serious bug. Don't use the Shrine of Patience for now, or your expenses will be permanently screwed up - I missed a single conditional statement that causes the mortgage variables to do weird things. This shouldn't affect the beginning of the game, since the Shrine isn't unlocked until a ways in. I've fixed the problem and it will be uploaded in a future version.

Still, just to be sure, watch your expenses like a hawk. You should be running a deficit of $600 at the beginning and it should change to a surplus of $250 after the second month, then only change in response to individual actions.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:10:33 AM by Ian »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »
If you need one more, I'm in, but if you've got so many it's too much to process/handle, I can wait till the Beta.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2014, 05:18:26 AM »
Alpha testers, I'm going to try to catch you all here. Please download the game again, or you'll run into a game-freezing bug at the Fortress of Discontent. This version will also fix the Shrine of Patience, a sidequest, and some cosmetic things.

All your save files are still valid! Look for the files named "SaveXX" in your folder, make sure they get into the new folder, and you should be able to pick up where you left off. You do need to see the formerly bugged scene at the Fortress in order to unlock everything in the game.

I didn't expect you guys to get this far so quickly. I should have known people on this forum would wipe out the high interest loan immediately...

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 06:17:31 AM »
I didn't expect you guys to get this far so quickly. I should have known people on this forum would wipe out the high interest loan immediately...

4-day weekend during which I crossed the threshold of my apartment only to hang laundry on the rooftop clothesline + love for RPGs + love for financial prowess = duh. I'm almost debt-free, actually. ;-D

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 07:02:30 AM »
I've only had  a chance to scratch the surface - first impression? Awesome! With RPGs the dialogue is uber important and you nailed it, at least for this target audience :) If kids or those unfamiliar with old school RPGs were playing they might not appreciate it to the same extent.

As far as game play, is there any chance you can stop the music if you minimize the window? This seems fairly standard, I think.

Also, when you are fighting multiple monsters, you have to select which monster you want to hit every single time. Is there any way for the game to remember who your fighting and make that the default unless you select another opponent?

Will you be including a basic tutorial for those who might not be familiar with RPGs and the movements/actions?

Ohh, and is there any way we can see the name of the monster before we engage? They have great names, and the names also hint at how hard they will be. Having that info would be awesome!

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »
As far as game play, is there any chance you can stop the music if you minimize the window? This seems fairly standard, I think.

Also, when you are fighting multiple monsters, you have to select which monster you want to hit every single time. Is there any way for the game to remember who your fighting and make that the default unless you select another opponent?

Will you be including a basic tutorial for those who might not be familiar with RPGs and the movements/actions?

Ohh, and is there any way we can see the name of the monster before we engage? They have great names, and the names also hint at how hard they will be. Having that info would be awesome!
Thanks for the feedback, I'll address them in order:
1) The continuing music is a problem with the engine, but I can look for a fix.
2) There's no easy way to remember enemy targeting, but I'll see if anyone else has worked on this.
3) While it wasn't my initial plan, I'm thinking I'll have an optional tutorial at the beginning. I'll definitely cover the controls - how many RPG basics do you think I need to cover?
4) Boss names I can do, but most battles are randomized, so there's no good way to do that. Or if you just mean getting the names at the beginning of combat, I'll look into the configuration.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2014, 04:52:16 AM »
Thanks to all the people giving feedback. I've fixed every single bug that has been sent to me as of the time I'm typing this and I've uploaded a new version. It doesn't fix anything critical, but definitely download it if you haven't played much yet so you don't report bugs that have already been fixed.

There are also some cosmetic changes from the suggestions of Swick and Dr. Doom, most noticeably that enemies announce themselves when combat begins. Complain if you especially dislike this.

Nancy

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2014, 07:56:06 AM »
Room for one more player?

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2014, 08:14:26 AM »
I just want to check before I move forward (tomorrow--sleepy now): after completing the Fortress of Discontent and the chaotic content that follows, will I still be able to play and return to other areas? Asking here because I other alpha testers could answer if they see this before Ian does!

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2014, 05:47:12 PM »
Room for one more player?
This round is pretty full, but I'll want another set to make sure none of the current fixes/improvements break anything.

I just want to check before I move forward (tomorrow--sleepy now): after completing the Fortress of Discontent and the chaotic content that follows, will I still be able to play and return to other areas? Asking here because I other alpha testers could answer if they see this before Ian does!
Some general guidelines on the subject:
 - There is not a point of no return beyond which some content is locked.
 - Finishing the Fortress of Discontent will unlock post-game content that will unbalance previous challenges.
 - You'll know you've reached the "true" end when you're returned to the title screen with no chance to save.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »
Anyone else have their boat bug out? Mine is stuck at the very beginning of the Port of Possibility (didn't have a chance to go and explore, I thought it better to turn around and get healed up first.) I exited not on one of the slots on the water but right up where the dock meets the ground and can't seem to get myself unstuck. I can get out of the boat, but when I go in it it can't move anywhere.

Anyone else have a problem?

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »
Amazon Payments isn't the greatest system, but their customer service is nowhere near as awful as I've seen reported. After some communication there, my account is approved and so I think I'm close to ready. Check out this preview link and provide comments/criticism:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1017913658/902261418?token=c8a92e25

I know I'm not great with audio/video, but I did what I could to put together an intro. I'd like to launch my campaign this weekend, so criticism is welcome sooner rather than later.

Anyone else have their boat bug out? Mine is stuck at the very beginning of the Port of Possibility (didn't have a chance to go and explore, I thought it better to turn around and get healed up first.) I exited not on one of the slots on the water but right up where the dock meets the ground and can't seem to get myself unstuck. I can get out of the boat, but when I go in it it can't move anywhere.

Someone on another forum had this problem and it should be fixed in the next version. Meanwhile, using any of the teleport rings will bring your ship back to harbor. I included that because I was afraid it would be easy to get the ship stuck, so tell me if it occurs anywhere else (as of the next version, anyway).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
Amazon Payments isn't the greatest system, but their customer service is nowhere near as awful as I've seen reported. After some communication there, my account is approved and so I think I'm close to ready. Check out this preview link and provide comments/criticism:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1017913658/902261418?token=c8a92e25

I know I'm not great with audio/video, but I did what I could to put together an intro. I'd like to launch my campaign this weekend, so criticism is welcome sooner rather than later.

Someone on another forum had this problem and it should be fixed in the next version. Meanwhile, using any of the teleport rings will bring your ship back to harbor. I included that because I was afraid it would be easy to get the ship stuck, so tell me if it occurs anywhere else (as of the next version, anyway).

The boat eventually showed up at the other dock....not sure if I did anything to make it happen. Seems to be working ok now.

Kickstarter ideas - looks good! I would collect some testimonials from testers that you could put up. It'll give people confidence that it is indeed a real game and people are enjoying it.

Also, the rewards are good, you might want to make some spots open for characters based on real people. For example the adviser, or supporting characters...or even one of the main ones - stick a high price tag on it and see if anyone bites.

It might be worth checking out Habut RPG's kickstarter if you haven't come across it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lefnire/habitrpg-mobile

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »
The boat eventually showed up at the other dock....not sure if I did anything to make it happen. Seems to be working ok now.
Vehicles always teleport back with you so they aren't abandoned.

Kickstarter ideas - looks good! I would collect some testimonials from testers that you could put up. It'll give people confidence that it is indeed a real game and people are enjoying it.

Also, the rewards are good, you might want to make some spots open for characters based on real people. For example the adviser, or supporting characters...or even one of the main ones - stick a high price tag on it and see if anyone bites.

It might be worth checking out Habut RPG's kickstarter if you haven't come across it.
Some good ideas there. Testers, object if you don't want me to use lines you've sent me while beta testing. I wasn't sure how effective a reward for characters would be, but the idea is worth considering - it definitely worked for the project you linked, but that obviously had a lot of support behind it. I will add some more rewards if there's enough interest.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
Vehicles always teleport back with you so they aren't abandoned.

Some good ideas there. Testers, object if you don't want me to use lines you've sent me while beta testing. I wasn't sure how effective a reward for characters would be, but the idea is worth considering - it definitely worked for the project you linked, but that obviously had a lot of support behind it. I will add some more rewards if there's enough interest.

You can use any of my feedback...I'll even write you a glowing warm and fuzzy testimonial if you give me a hint as to where I can unlock that darn airship...

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
You can use any of my feedback...I'll even write you a glowing warm and fuzzy testimonial if you give me a hint as to where I can unlock that darn airship...
Heh, I'd take that testimonial, but the airship is only unlocked in the post-game, after you've beaten the final boss.

(Any players who want to give me a testimonial more formal than your comments so far, add it to a PM.)

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »
Alright, everyone, the Kickstarter is LIVE and counting down!
(url: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1017913658/cubicle-quest)

I wish I'd had a little longer to get everyone's feedback on the project pitch, but weekends are good times to launch and I don't want to delay this any further. Feedback is still welcome, and obviously the alpha testers will continue to iron out various bugs. (Alphas: there's a new version of the game at your link, with an assorted collection of improvements and a few necessary fixes in the post-game.)

Any of you who are interested in pledging to this project, it'd be great if you did so sooner rather than later. This stage with less than 30% backed is the stage where most projects fail, so it would be nice to get over that obstacle early. My offer to play the game early and for free is still valid for anyone who has posted in this thread before, though you might want to wait until the alpha testers have polished it up a little more.

I think that's all I have to say for now. It begins...

Cecil

• Bristles
Re: Would you HELP KICKSTART a Mustachian computer game?
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »
Hey if you need another alpha tester, I'm in. I've got a lot of experience with JRPGs. :)

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
Alright, everyone, the Kickstarter is LIVE and counting down!
(url: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1017913658/cubicle-quest)

I wish I'd had a little longer to get everyone's feedback on the project pitch, but weekends are good times to launch and I don't want to delay this any further. Feedback is still welcome, and obviously the alpha testers will continue to iron out various bugs. (Alphas: there's a new version of the game at your link, with an assorted collection of improvements and a few necessary fixes in the post-game.)

Any of you who are interested in pledging to this project, it'd be great if you did so sooner rather than later. This stage with less than 30% backed is the stage where most projects fail, so it would be nice to get over that obstacle early. My offer to play the game early and for free is still valid for anyone who has posted in this thread before, though you might want to wait until the alpha testers have polished it up a little more.

I think that's all I have to say for now. It begins...

Backed it $5, first one :)
The game looks awesome, I'm sure you'll get plenty of people interested.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2014, 04:21:54 PM »
Backed and shared:) good luck!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2014, 04:36:17 PM »
Def post this to reddit financialindependence group (if you haven't yet) --- reddit loves them some kickstarter

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2014, 04:47:44 PM »
Many, many thanks to those of you who have already pledged! It's too bad this is a busy weekend for me, but I'll be checking in when I can. Expect future project updates on the Kickstarter page, though I won't abandon this thread.

Hey if you need another alpha tester, I'm in. I've got a lot of experience with JRPGs. :)
If you want to get in on it right now, send me a PM. I'm juggling a number of different testers, but they're all a ways into the game, so there's a fair bit of polished game to play.

Def post this to reddit financialindependence group (if you haven't yet) --- reddit loves them some kickstarter
Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't considered reddit because I haven't participated much in those communities (and I'd like to avoid being spammy with this if at all possible).

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »
I despise kickstarted and have boycotted but I love the idea.  If you get close but don't get all you need please PM me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't considered reddit because I haven't participated much in those communities (and I'd like to avoid being spammy with this if at all possible).

Stop being so doggone shy about promoting it!

Especially to an audience that you think will LOVE IT!  You are doing them a favor.

Yes, you should be emailing Lifehacker, posting on reddit, etc.

Say "I created this computer game, a financial RPG (it's cooler than it sounds), and I think your readers will like it" or something like that.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
Especially to an audience that you think will LOVE IT!  You are doing them a favor.

+1

I'd be kinda peeved if someone made something I wanted and then didn't tell me 'cause they thought they'd hurt my feelings

also, nothing to lose, soooo much to gain

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »
Backed and shared! Good luck, Ian.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2014, 03:10:32 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has backed so far! Conventional wisdom is that 90% of projects that reach 30% of their goal will complete it, so you've helped get things off to a good start. Starting to get some decent non-referral numbers.

I despise kickstarted and have boycotted but I love the idea.  If you get close but don't get all you need please PM me.
I know a lot of people who aren't fans, but you're the first person I've met boycotting Kickstarter. For my edification, what's your issue with them?

Stop being so doggone shy about promoting it!

Yes, you should be emailing Lifehacker, posting on reddit, etc.

Say "I created this computer game, a financial RPG (it's cooler than it sounds), and I think your readers will like it" or something like that.
+1

I'd be kinda peeved if someone made something I wanted and then didn't tell me 'cause they thought they'd hurt my feelings

also, nothing to lose, soooo much to gain
Okay, I'll try to dedicate a good chunk of today to promotion and we'll see what comes of it.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
Alpha testers: a new version has been uploaded and I think this one is 100% free of critical bugs. I was able to do a test run through everything - it's possible that your game might require a more specific fix because of the idiosyncrasies of playing across multiple versions. I'm sure there are things to be improved, but I think we're closing in on a solid beta.

Everyone else: okay, you were right to push me to go promote places. While the response hasn't been universally positive, more people have appreciated it than not. I'm open to future suggestions, and if anyone feels inspired to share the game with people they think would enjoy it, I'd be very grateful.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2014, 07:21:26 AM »
Congrats on being almost 70% funded, Ian! Might be time for an update or some stretch goals to get people excited?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »
Alpha testers: a new version has been uploaded and I think this one is 100% free of critical bugs. I was able to do a test run through everything - it's possible that your game might require a more specific fix because of the idiosyncrasies of playing across multiple versions. I'm sure there are things to be improved, but I think we're closing in on a solid beta.

Everyone else: okay, you were right to push me to go promote places. While the response hasn't been universally positive, more people have appreciated it than not. I'm open to future suggestions, and if anyone feels inspired to share the game with people they think would enjoy it, I'd be very grateful.

Out of curiousity, where did you promote it?

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »
Thanks to everyone from the forum who pledged!

Congrats on being almost 70% funded, Ian! Might be time for an update or some stretch goals to get people excited?
It might be. One of my instincts says to hold out for getting 100% funded so the first update can be unveiling the next phase, but that's not necessarily the best strategy.

I plan to try for some of the bigger sites once I reach 100% and I'm not sure when it might be wise to think about asking MMM. Does he read PMs or emails?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:00:22 PM by swick »

FrenchyMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Frenchie Geek
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »
Hello
Your project looks great.
If you are willing to do some kind of french release, i'd love to help with traductions and even advertising this in my own yt channels and such.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
I plan to try for some of the bigger sites once I reach 100% and I'm not sure when it might be wise to think about asking MMM. Does he read PMs or emails?

Well he probably reads them from the mods -- are any of them beta testers who liked it?  You could certainly try sending him an evaluation copy.

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2014, 05:38:53 PM »
Backed at the $10 level. Best of luck to you!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »
Thanks to everyone from the forum who pledged!

It might be. One of my instincts says to hold out for getting 100% funded so the first update can be unveiling the next phase, but that's not necessarily the best strategy.

Sorry Ian - I had a technology fail and accidentally tried editing your above comment instead of quoting, one of those days.

Yes he does check his PM's. I'd send him a few screen shots of "Frank"with his abilities or advice for following the way of the beard. I think he'd get a kick out of it and enjoy seeing what members of the forums are up to.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
I'm not sure when it might be wise to think about asking MMM. Does he read PMs or emails?

Jesus christ just do it. If you're not sure, ask him what he thinks about the best time to post the reveal. I bet he'd even post once for the kickstarter and once again when it's actually released.

yes he reads PMs and emails, and even if he doesn't get it right away late exposure is better than no exposure. make sure it has a catchy subject if you're really worried.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:10:01 PM by Russ »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2014, 07:28:18 PM »

There is no need to wait.  Stop being shy!  :)

Yes, PM MMM.  If you don't get a response after a few days, let me know.  He's a very open, approachable guy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!