Author Topic: Would you pay $70 for 1gbs Google Fiber Internet?  (Read 22427 times)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Would you pay $70 for 1gbs Google Fiber Internet?
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »
Or would you stay with slower but cheaper cable internet? Or reap the competitive benefit by getting faster cable internet at lower cost due to competition from Google? Or maybe take Google up on their offer of slow (5mbs) free (plus tax and fees) internet?

What would you do, Mustachians?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Would you pay $70 for 1gbs Google Fiber Internet?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:46:47 PM »
I'd go for it (but can you try the free thing first?). But slower cheaper cable internet isn't an option here.
I pay $65 a month for okay-ish DSL.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:40 PM »
Absolutely. I'm paying $59.99/mo for 100Mbps cable now (3 person household / heavy use) - I'd do it just because it's stupid fast, even if unnecessary. Not quite mustachian of me though, I'll admit that. :)

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »
Google fiber also offers 7 years of free slower internet (5 mbps down 1 mbps up) for $300 initial install. It's coming to my neighborhood (hopefully) next year and that's what I'll be getting.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
I'd go for it (but can you try the free thing first?). But slower cheaper cable internet isn't an option here.

No, not really. But you could do the opposite.

If you initially sign up for the free service, you'll pay a $300 install fee.

But based on what I've read elsewhere, if you commit to 1 year of 1gbs service at $70 per month, the $300 install fee is waived. At the end of the 1 year at $70 per month the Google equipment (fiber box and router) is yours. At that point you could drop back to free 5mbs internet (install fee already waived).

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:04:03 PM »

But based on what I've read elsewhere, if you commit to 1 year of 1gbs service at $70 per month, the $300 install fee is waived. At the end of the 1 year at $70 per month the Google equipment (fiber box and router) is yours. At that point you could drop back to free 5mbs internet (install fee already waived).
Why would I pay $840/year so avoid paying $300?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »
That's only about $5/month more than we currently pay for Comcast. I might be willing to give their free (after $300 installation fee) service a try, but it's slower than what we have now and I'm not sure it would give the same level of performance for our Netflix habit. If they had some intermediate level of service (and they actually offered service in the Seattle area), it would be a no-brainer. I have no need for a full gigabit, but even 100 Mbps for $40 would be a massive improvement in both price and performance over what we have right now.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »
Absolutely. I'm paying $59.99/mo for 100Mbps cable now (3 person household / heavy use) - I'd do it just because it's stupid fast, even if unnecessary. Not quite mustachian of me though, I'll admit that. :)

Yeah, easy choice for you. Only $10 more for vastly better service.

I negotiate the price yearly and I'm paying $40 for 15mbs down and 1mbs up. For me it is real adequate, but faster would be better.

I know that tossing away $360 per year (my cost difference) is very un-Mustachian, but damn I want it. I was wondering if I were the only Mustachian who might cave in to the want.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
Google fiber also offers 7 years of free slower internet (5 mbps down 1 mbps up) for $300 initial install. It's coming to my neighborhood (hopefully) next year and that's what I'll be getting.
^^^ This is what I'd do.  Even though I'm a computer geek, our current 3Mbps cable connection is sufficient for our needs.  For now.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »

Why would I pay $840/year so avoid paying $300?

Because you want 1gbs.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »
I pay $30 a month for 18mb.  My family uses a lot of bandwidth.  It would depend, but potentially.  $70 is a lot to swallow.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

Are they making different rules in different towns?

I read that the free 5mbs was free for "lifetime". Don't recall if was from Google's site, or some news item.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »
Yes. I will pay more even if it means I never have to talk to time Warner again. I've had at least 6 techs out at their cost and we still had frequent outages. We switched to slower and sameish price AT&T a few months ago.

Thankfully, google is coming to us in the next batch of cities. Probably. 2-3 year wait but I'm excited.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »
Yep. I'm paying that much for 50mbs from Comcast!

I would justify it by saying that I use the Internet to make money. I am paid by the job, and I have to look stuff up. So in theory, faster Internet would mean I would finish faster and have more time for other money-saving tasks. But really it would be just because I like fast Internet.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 01:29:17 PM »
We pay ~$60 for 25Mbps internet + some basic TV and "free HBO for 12 months." I'd much rather pay $40 and just have internet if that was an option.
So given $60 vs $70 for 25Mbps Comcast vs 1Gbps Google, I'd probably switch. But if I could pay $40... I would not. $3600 over 10 years is not worth "faster downloads". (For it to be worth it, I'd need to buy a much faster router and at least one or two faster wireless adapters for my desktop and maybe one other system in the house - so there are additional one-time costs to consider.)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »
$35/month for 50 Mpbs TWC.

hey recently more than tripled it from 15 Mpbs because Google fiber is moving to the area, and it's working. I want Google Fiber to succeed, but I'm not going to order something I don't need just to spite an incumbent.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 01:36:11 PM »

hey recently more than tripled it from 15 Mpbs because Google fiber is moving to the area, and it's working. I want Google Fiber to succeed, but I'm not going to order something I don't need just to spite an incumbent.

Funny, isn't it - when Google announced they were looking at Phoenix, Cox doubled their speeds with no extra charge.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 01:51:10 PM »
If it's just me paying the bill? I mean don't get me wrong, 1 Gbps would be amazing. But I don't think it's worth it unless your alternatives aren't that great. My current service is $25/month for 25 Mbps with Comcast (first year promo, but then you just call in and threaten to cancel).

But if it were me splitting the bill with one other person, or more? Yes, absolutely. Sure it'd be $10/month more, but damn, 1 Gbps would be awesome. It lets you do things like use Google Drive as if it were just a USB attached external drive (that's one reason Google started their Fiber venture - they can't sell you a 1 TB Google Drive when your upload speed is ~5 mbps).

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »
I can't think of a personal application that would make me happy about spending $70/month  versus half that for my current cable/DSL options. Then again, it might make sense to team up with neighbors and use a router to possibly divvy up the bandwidth and the bill. (Of course, you'd need to trust that none of them would use the connection for anything frowned upon by law enforcement.)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »
If it's just me paying the bill? I mean don't get me wrong, 1 Gbps would be amazing. But I don't think it's worth it unless your alternatives aren't that great. My current service is $25/month for 25 Mbps with Comcast (first year promo, but then you just call in and threaten to cancel).

But if it were me splitting the bill with one other person, or more? Yes, absolutely. Sure it'd be $10/month more, but damn, 1 Gbps would be awesome. It lets you do things like use Google Drive as if it were just a USB attached external drive (that's one reason Google started their Fiber venture - they can't sell you a 1 TB Google Drive when your upload speed is ~5 mbps).

Internet fast enough to saturate a wired gigabit ethernet network makes me a little bit giddy inside. :P

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 02:03:39 PM »
Unless I needed it, no. I have 5mpbs and it works just fine.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 02:17:30 PM »
I'm only paying $40/month for 50 Mbit/second from Verizon. Its defiantly fast enough that I wouldn't pay more for faster. 5 Mb/s for free would be tempting though.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:19:09 PM by vhalros »

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »
Yes I totally would. I pay charter 60$ month for 60 Download and about 5 upload.      I can't justify having insane internet like that.  Maybe leave your router unlocked, everyone will love you... just kidding lol.    Internet Is the one thing I will never give up, so many resources are out there.  But again I don't really need them at 1000 mb/s lol

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 02:41:54 PM »
$70 is hard to swallow. My city installed fiber a year ago (yay longmont). We pay 49.95 a month for 1gig up/down.  Its totally worth it. Not just for the speed but because if something go wrong I call someone in my city. But more importantly I don't ever have to renegotiate that rate. Oh how I dont miss calling Qwest every 12 months!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 02:43:50 PM »

Internet fast enough to saturate a wired gigabit ethernet network makes me a little bit giddy inside. :P

Haha I can totally imagine somebody out there with an older router that's only 100 mbps capable and wondering why he can't get his full gigabit.....

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »
This question is one of the many reasons I'm happy to have housemates. We get 45Mbps down/10 up for 63/month, which would normally frustrate me quite a bit except that it has never speedtested below those numbers (which turn out to be plenty.) However, I have two housemates, so I only pay $21/month and get the benefit of more internet than I know what to do with.

Yes, in a heartbeat I would pay for Google service even though it's wildly excessive, and that's not even me fleeing Comcast; I have AT&T (who also anger me, but to a much lesser degree.)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
just had mine installed
5mb down 1 mb up for a total cost of 42 dollars/year over the next 7 years

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »
Haha I can totally imagine somebody out there with an older router that's only 100 mbps capable and wondering why he can't get his full gigabit.....
I had ridiculously fast internet my first year of university. So fast that the bottleneck were the old spinning disks in the box, not the network. Now I don't know how fast modern drives or SSDs are nowadays, but at 1Gbps it wouldn't take long to fill up.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »
We have the 'free' Google Fiber and I love not having an internet bill.  So...no.  I wouldn't. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »
I had ridiculously fast internet my first year of university. So fast that the bottleneck were the old spinning disks in the box, not the network. Now I don't know how fast modern drives or SSDs are nowadays, but at 1Gbps it wouldn't take long to fill up.
Modern SSDs are silly fast: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1458?vs=1507

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »
If I could get the free Google service at 5mbps, I'd dance naked in the streets. There's no way for us to get internet that fast now, and we pay near $70 a month for 3mbps from our only option.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 05:16:55 PM »
fiber internet is the best thing ever.  Once you try it you will never go back

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 05:17:42 PM »
Modern SSDs are silly fast: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1458?vs=1507
Yeah SSDs are so silly fast that even though it years to develop, approve, and put to market the SATA 3.0 standard (internal transfer scheme, maxes out at 6 gbps), when SATA 3.0 capable motherboards came out they just took the then current gen ssds and slapped the 3.0 interface on it and it was pretty much already bottlenecked. That's why after that they said screw it we'll just use pci express directly (it's far faster than SATA 3.0) their new SATA express standard.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »
The free (w/install) sounds pretty tempting. But since I'm rich I would probably go with the gigabit just because I could. It would be a needless luxury, but I think the Internet is worth spending money on. I have a $20 5mbps service now, and it works for me. But I think I would spend the extra money just because every American should have gigabit service and it should be cheap like in other countries.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »
We pay ~$60 for 25Mbps internet + some basic TV and "free HBO for 12 months." I'd much rather pay $40 and just have internet if that was an option.
So given $60 vs $70 for 25Mbps Comcast vs 1Gbps Google, I'd probably switch. But if I could pay $40... I would not. $3600 over 10 years is not worth "faster downloads". (For it to be worth it, I'd need to buy a much faster router and at least one or two faster wireless adapters for my desktop and maybe one other system in the house - so there are additional one-time costs to consider.)

You're right about that. I'd need a $20 gigabit Ethernet card for my desktop PC, but I'd also need a gigabit wireless router, which is not so cheap for a good one.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 06:45:41 PM »

I hope TWC does the same thing here. I'd not switch to Google if I could get 50mbs from TWC for $35. Yet oddly, I almost feel like it would be rudely ungrateful to turn down Google, after they picked my crappy little town (Louisville) for an expansion candidate.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 06:52:29 PM »
fiber internet is the best thing ever.  Once you try it you will never go back

Heh, that's what I'm afraid of.   :-)   One more thing that I think I can't live with out, like a smartphone, a computer, the internet, and LED flashlights. All stuff that didn't even exist when I was born.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 06:58:16 PM »
I'm getting the 7 year plan. 5Mb is enough for netflix and gaming and $3.60/month is hard to beat.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 07:24:50 PM »
I have about a 1.5Mbps service and pay $29.99 a month.

I can stream standard def videos with it and its fine for us.. So I would definitely not pay $70 for an internet connection (unless people paid me to share it).

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »

You're right about that. I'd need a $20 gigabit Ethernet card for my desktop PC, but I'd also need a gigabit wireless router, which is not so cheap for a good one.

I do believe you were talking about the ethernet ports for your router, not the wireless capabilities, but....
Please keep in mind that while the 802.11ac standard does allow for > 1Gpbs in a 3x3 configuration, in most environments you will not realize anything close to the theoretical maximum speed.

TaxChick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 08:29:34 PM »
I have had Google Fiber for a few months now. I did choose the $70 per month plan. No complaints here. The other options in my neighborhood have had several complaints.  I also have guests frequently who use the internet and I stream Netflix.  The highest speeds on Google Fiber are available only if you are plugged into the box. The wireless router can't pass those speeds on to your device. Customer service is also very good. One of my co-workers who also lives in my neighborhood was having difficulty. They came back to her house and connected her son's X-box directly the Google Fiber box. She has had no problems streaming since then.

It is a little pricey. I do wish they had a mid-option. The free ($300) option would have been good for a minimum of seven years. However, the speed was less than I had with my previous service which wasn't sufficient.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2015, 04:22:59 AM »

Funny, isn't it - when Google announced they were looking at Phoenix, Cox doubled their speeds with no extra charge.

Funny the way that works.  About a day after Google announced they were coming to San Antonio, the jerks at Time Warner "doubled" their (largely fake) advertised speed.

Still, I'd switch to Google Fiber in a heart beat.  I'm already paying over $50/month for sluggish internet (rarely comes close to advertised speeds).  Until their recent speed increase, I was getting about what Google offers for free, and that was okay with me.

Google offers far more speed for the price, and no one in the world has worse customer service than Time Warner.

I only wish Google offered something between 5 M at $0 and 1 G at $70/month.  I'd gladly pay them $40 or $50/month for 100 M.

Google can't get her fast enough.  I'll dump Time Warner on Day ONE.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 05:56:47 AM »
Maybe TWC learned something!  Here in KC, they upped my bill a few months before Fiber was installed.  Then after I quit, they sent me a ton of promotions to come back to them, but of course they couldn't beat my current rate of zero per month.  Glad they changed their tactics. 

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 06:49:36 AM »
I pay $20/month for a 5Mbps fiber connection.  It is much better than the 25 Mbps cable connection that I used to have (for $75/month).  Try the cheaper connection to see if it works for you.  I stream HD video, skype in HD, and have pretty quick download times.  I love it!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 08:49:06 AM »

I read that the free 5mbs was free for "lifetime". Don't recall if was from Google's site, or some news item.
No the rules are the same - the 7 years is in the fine print. They do expect to continue providing 5mbs free beyond the 7 years; however, the contract only guarentees the 7 years. I imagine that there may be some costs to repair/maintain/upgrade the infrastructure at some point in the distant future.

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »

No the rules are the same - the 7 years is in the fine print. They do expect to continue providing 5mbs free beyond the 7 years; however, the contract only guarentees the 7 years. I imagine that there may be some costs to repair/maintain/upgrade the infrastructure at some point in the distant future.

I was wondering about that - what would happen to the service when the 7 years comes to an end.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 09:29:05 AM »

It depends on what the other offerings are (and the price).

Unless you've got some of your own systems out in Internetland that are serving you at 1GB...  Or unless you've got 50 devices pulling 20MB from different locations, it's going to be sort of hard to utilize that (and ISPs know this).

You'll also likely have to cough up some dough to buy a bigger router/firewall.  The typical consumer offerings haven't really come down in price yet.

For the most part, at this point in time, most anything about 10-20MB is marketed to people that just want to brag to their friends about what speed they have.  Now, as content changes and the 4k streams really start spooling up at Netflix... this will probably change.

One thing Google really has done with all this is push the cable companies to offer faster/cheaper deals. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »

Unless you've got some of your own systems out in Internetland that are serving you at 1GB...  Or unless you've got 50 devices pulling 20MB from different locations, it's going to be sort of hard to utilize that (and ISPs know this).

You'll also likely have to cough up some dough to buy a bigger router/firewall.  The typical consumer offerings haven't really come down in price yet.

For the most part, at this point in time, most anything about 10-20MB is marketed to people that just want to brag to their friends about what speed they have.  Now, as content changes and the 4k streams really start spooling up at Netflix... this will probably change.

One thing Google really has done with all this is push the cable companies to offer faster/cheaper deals.

Eh I can pull solid 12MB/sec downloads with my 100mbps connection. Gigabit gear isn't that bad - e.g. Edgerouter Lite.  Granted, that's not something I'd want to walk a mainstream user through setting up. :P

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »
We currently pay for ~6mb internet, and find it sufficient, so we would definitely go with the free. 

We might pay for some intermediate point, but 70 for internet?  No way. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »

Eh I can pull solid 12MB/sec downloads with my 100mbps connection. Gigabit gear isn't that bad - e.g. Edgerouter Lite.  Granted, that's not something I'd want to walk a mainstream user through setting up. :P

From where?  And for how long?

ISPs actually are having a bit of a difficult time even providing the FCC required tools to measure 1G connections. 

Ubiquiti looks cool.   I'm not familiar with them.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!