Author Topic: When do you give up on your car?  (Read 2452 times)

PawPrint53

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
When do you give up on your car?
« on: October 01, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
we have a 2003 Taurus with 137,000 miles. Since January, we've spent $2,900 on repairs and regular maintenance. The car is worth maybe $2k. We just moved back to Boise after 2.5 years in Seattle where we hardly used it. Boise is a car centric town with lousy public transportation. We've had to have it towed twice, too. It's our only car.

The check engine light just went on so its going in the shop again. At what point do you give up and get a new (used), hopefully more reliable car?

brotatochip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: When do you give up on your car?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 08:11:37 PM »
I think It's time to cut your losses OP.  This car sounds like an unreliable money pit and it's a Ford.  I've owned Ford vehicles in the past and they were nothing but a POS.  You might be able to work a deal with your mechanic and sell it to him.  You will not get KBB value for it but you won't have to deal with the hastle of selling it privately and putting more money into it trying to resolve the CEL issue.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
If it was a Honda, Toyota, Volvo, or something else with some long life prospects, I would say to repair it.  But it's a Ford, and a Taurus.  Time to part ways.  Things are bad now, and they just go downhill from 150K.

brotatochip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
If it was a Honda, Toyota, Volvo, or something else with some long life prospects, I would say to repair it.  But it's a Ford, and a Taurus.  Time to part ways.  Things are bad now, and they just go downhill from 150K.

I've had my Subaru for almost 12 years now and still love it!  I just had to put up a good chunk of $$ for the 105,000 service and new clutch but I know it will last me another 100,000 miles. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 09:20:54 PM »
Subaru with 105K?  Just getting broken in!  I had one Volvo with over 212k and a current one at 257K with no plans to replace soon.  But a Taurus is not a Subaru nor a Volvo.  I've had 3 in the family and they were all well cared for and done at 150K.