Author Topic: Would you participate in a consumer survey for $$$?  (Read 3278 times)

Reddleman

• Stubble
Would you participate in a consumer survey for $$$?
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:45:58 PM »
I'm certainly not offering!

I was actually randomly contacted by the "Meadowlands Consumer Center" to participate in a formal survey for $150.  It sounded relatively legit compared to other messages I've gotten- a real person called and left a real 1 min. message, with callback and specific information.

I usually don't give this information out. . . but:

a. $150
b. a chance to throw out the Mustachian ideals and add them to the data set. Dunno what they would do with my responses.  I imagine I'd probably be the outlier and would be disregarded anyway. 

Should take 45min.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Would you participate in a consumer survey for $$$?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:27:57 PM »
I'm a marketing researcher. If the call truly was from Meadowlands Consumer Center, then it's legit. They're a legit marketing research agency. A researcher like me (living in Missouri or elsewhere) would contract with them to do local data collection in NY/NJ, or nationwide data collection for a larger study.

Did they say what the topic was? (Rhetorical question.) $150 is a good amount for a survey. I'm wondering if they contacted you for a consumer study or a study that's related to your profession. Would the survey be over the phone, or do you need to go somewhere to meet with an interviewer in person?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:42:59 PM »
I have done them for $. I also was on a 2 day mock jury that paid well.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:38:04 PM »
Go for it

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »
I get a lot of opportunities to do surveys related to my profession. I skip the low-paying ones, but I've probably made at least $2-3k over the last 5 years, all in small bits of time that I would have otherwise pissed away surfing the internet or doing other useless things.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
Do it if you have the time. They're usually fun and you can usually figure out which company is funding it by the questions they ask. Don't worry about being an outlier--they asked you for your opinion.
Enjoy!

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 06:01:42 PM »
Yeah, that survey opportunity sounds good.

FWIW - i was contacted by GFK.
googled them and found this webpage which sounds crappy.
https://thespecter.net/blog/technology/gfk-knowledgepanel-is-a-scam/

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 05:46:02 AM »
RoG had an article about this topic about two weeks or so ago:
http://rootofgood.com/night-focus-group/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.