Author Topic: would you move  (Read 3161 times)

puck2005

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
would you move
« on: June 28, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »
Would you ever move if you no longer agreed with the country's direction, policies, etc?  Or weather, family....  There could be a hundred reasons to relocate.

Do you have a "backup" country to move to?  Why that one?

felixmaxwelljcm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Junk Car Medics
Re: would you move
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
Have always fantasized about living in Japan, but I wouldn't have great job opportunities there so obviously those fantasies aren't realistic. Anyway, I always liked the culture and the people whenever I've traveled there. But I heard it can get pretty lonely - a foreigner will always be a foreigner in Japan, so they say. Plus their work culture is demanding. And cost of living in Tokyo is higher than that where I'm from. :(

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 02:19:04 PM »
It's not that easy to move countries. As a result, it would have to get pretty bad at the day-to-day impact level for me.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »
I hear Mars is hiring.

RyanGreener

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »
Gotta love some of the responses here. I've considered moving overseas to either Europe/China (yeah, big region). Really all depends on what life throws at ya.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 09:58:09 PM »
If it was so bad I could flee as a refugee sure. But policy is pretty vague. I can't think of a country where I agree with all their policies. Policy is international anyways.
Plenty of people do move though. I picked the particular state I live in (usa) because I agree with most of their policies.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 08:07:09 PM »
If I wanted to live somewhere Not Canada, Hungary would be my top pick because I love it there and they have bloodline citizenship (I'd have to learn passable Hungarian though). Super cheap, excellent food, kickass hot springs, and just overall a great quality of life.

I wouldn't leave for the reasons you listed though (policies, politics, etc). For the most part I don't give a crap about those things, as they very rarely impact my life in any way.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »
Would you ever move if you no longer agreed with the country's direction, policies, etc?  Or weather, family....  There could be a hundred reasons to relocate.

What do you have to offer these other countries that would cause them to take you in as a citizen? Employment is usually the controlling factor from other Western countries.

Now, if you have some kind of income making gig that you can do from anywhere in the world – that’s a different story.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 11:55:15 PM »
What do you have to offer these other countries that would cause them to take you in as a citizen? Employment is usually the controlling factor from other Western countries.

Now, if you have some kind of income making gig that you can do from anywhere in the world – that’s a different story.

I am a personal financial manager for a rich family.  (That would be us.)

Plus I have lots of skills and items in my resume that would let me show ways to make money.

At my age, probably best if people speak English as their native tongue.   Ditto because of my mentally handicapped daughter.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 01:51:37 AM »
I currently have 27 back up countries to choose from but it looks as though it will be down to zero by November.

Yes I'm pissed, why do you ask?

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 06:11:50 AM »
I feel like the only sensible response to this insanely broad question is "yes...but".

Personally? I could see it happening if there was a really strong reason to GTFO but if crap really starts to fly it's probably just as safe to hunker down in place than to try and flee.

I've always fancied the Nordic countries, as well as Southwest South America.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 06:21:15 AM »
But politics swift from red to blue and reverse from time to time. It would be quite a hassle to move often. But of course, if the politics in a country would become toxic for me, I would move out.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 06:25:47 AM »
Nah, I'd move to another State but not to another country for some changes in politics or whatever but I dont see a reason to leave the Country.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 01:16:42 PM »
Yup.

UK -> Canada for love

Canada -> UK for escaping the Canadian weather

Now UK -> France because god fucking damn the UK is being stupid with this Brexit shit and hostile environment nonsense

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »

I live in the U.S. and can't imagine moving to another country.

I live in high tax state controlled by democrats, so I could see moving to a different state.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
With the direction politics is going in the US this is something that is on my kind more.
I would move to England as I have dual citizenship.

puck2005

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 05:17:53 PM »
solid point - thanks