Author Topic: Would you move 45 minutes into the suburbs to save $600 a month?  (Read 11147 times)

Genevieve

• Bristles
My husband and I are considering moving into the suburbs, but we're still debating.

It looks like we'd save about $600 a month by making the move.

City
Husband rides the bus. I have a 45 min drive.
One car
Grocery store across the street
Rent ~$1,550
Tolls ~$200
Extra Gas from commuting ~$100
Uber and extra bus rides around town ~$25
Lots of walking, museums, and easy access to meeting up with friends (this makes me very happy!)

Suburbs
Husband takes 15 min drive, then takes the express bus. I have a 20-minute drive.
Would buy a second car with ongoing costs of ~$4,000 a year (estimated depreciation and maintenance for a 2010 Toyota Corolla)
In the suburbs -- so nice parks, but driving to the grocery store and driving into the city occasionally.
Rent is $900 a month.
Groceries, doctors, etc are all cheaper.

The money optimizer in me likes the idea of moving into the suburbs. But the young professional that just wants to have fun wants to live in the city and enjoy it before we have kids.

What would you do?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Would you move 45 minutes into the suburbs to save $600 a month?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 10:48:20 AM »
I'd probably stay in the city and find a job where I didn't have to do a car commute to the suburbs.

There's value in living in a place you like. Do you like the city $600/month more than the suburbs? That's for you to decide.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
There are 1001 details to this. not all suburbs are the same too. would your hobbies be affected with a move? would you have more space and therefore buy more junk?  going from a city apartment to single family home your utilities may go up or have new ones you did not have before.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 11:31:53 AM »
Ah... this job is a great job with the right experience for where I am in my career and what I want to do with it. I'm not interested in waiting around another 6 months to slow my career growth for a job in the city. (I enjoy my career.) In an ideal pie in the sky scenario, I'd love to have the perfect job in the city! But this is the reality of my situation.

We were looking at a 1 bedroom apartment to a 2 bedroom townhouse, moving our existing desks into the separate bedroom.

I"m not sure what my hobbies would be out there. We would go on walks in a park close by. I like going to museums, events, and playing games at various friends' houses -- most who live in the city. I think living in the city would be more fun, except for my commute.

But these are small expenses... don't want to be in analysis paralysis. The gist of it is: Moving to the suburbs will be cheaper by ~$600 a month.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:38:27 AM by Genevieve »

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
What percentage of your income is $600? 

I would never do it for 600 bucks but if it allowed me to save double what I was saving now, I might consider it.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 11:37:43 AM »
I wouldn't move to the suburbs you are describing. Where I live in the suburbs its walking distance to grocery and activities I like. I was tired of living in the city and having to ride a bus and walk to get to the grocery, or pay 2500 a month for a 1 bedroom next to or on top of a grocery store. But you seem happy. Can you move closer to your job but still live in the city, or does it not work that way where you live?

Eta: I wouldn't make a decision on 600 alone. I lived in the city for 13 years. It was a very transient one. Any friends I made would leave after 2 years. I got tired of crappy rentals covered in roaches, and the nicer places are astronomical in price. Getting anywhere on the bus was a pain if you wanted to go east or west. Now I can walk to a lake, grocery, library, movie theatre, a cafe and bar, rec facilities etc. I now have a 3 bedroom townhouse with a yard. I have a long commute but I only have to do it 3 days a week. And I can be assigned to another client anywhere in the region. I'm a lot happier now. Ymmv.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:49:53 AM by mozar »

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 11:41:36 AM »
Hmm.. gross we make about $150k a year. It'd be $800 a month including taxes, so that's $9,600 a year difference. We're on track to save ~$50k this year, probably more.

Edit: Want to clarify here. Expenses about $50k a year, not including taxes. Buying a car would bump that up. We're not terribly frugal, but over $18,000 of that is rent alone.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:57:11 AM by Genevieve »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 11:44:13 AM »
$4,000/yr sounds high for a 2010 Corolla.  I've got a 2008.  Not including fuel, my annual cost looks something like this:

Depreciation:$1000
Insurance: $400
Taxes/inspection/registration:$100
Oil/tires/other repairs:$500 (lumpy from year to year but this should be a good average)

Total $2k/yr

So maybe to tolls alone would pay for it?

I'd probably vote for the burbs.  Especially if you are moving into a decent neighborhood with good prospects for making new friends. If you plan well you only need a grocery run once a week, and you can probably do it on the way home from work.  Walking distance from a park that one could visit 3-5x a week would be more important to me.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 11:47:01 AM »
We can move maybe 10 minutes more out to shorten the commute a bit, but it's in a less walkable area of town. We currently live across the street from a grocery store, a 5 min walk away from a beautiful park, and there's a bus stop right outside our apartment that goes straight to my husband's work.

Part of it is that I'm happy where we live and I know I like it, whereas I'd have to find all my new favorite things there. Doesn't mean I can't do it. I just don't know in advance what my favorite things will be.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 11:48:55 AM »
I would not.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 11:52:17 AM »
Truthfully, for Houston (if you're still there) the whole situation is set up for suburban living.  You can certainly stay in the city if you want to, but the cost is pretty steep and there's a hundred little ways suburban living is subsidized.

I love the idea of urban living, loved London and D.C. both, but Houston just sucks in so many ways.  There's no real quality of life without a car, although if you get the right spot in the suburbs you can probably figure out how to make it work with just the one.  So that's what I'd say, it's not unreasonable here to satellite it out, but take your time finding the right spot so you can engineer a cost efficient way to access the bus without needing a second car.

I'd also be tempted to double down, getting a slightly larger space you monetize a bit by renting out an extra bedroom/airbnb host; the extra money really takes the sting out of additional commute costs.

So far though, I don't like being in the suburbs in Houston.  The first part is that everything around here is about kids.  If you're got some or plan to start soon it'll be great, but until then you aren't included and aren't welcome.

The second thing is that once you get out to the suburbs, you aren't going back to Houston for anything.  You think you'll meet the spouse downtown after work a couple times a month and head over to the free concerts in the park like you do now.  You won't.  You just won't.

You know you better than I do, maybe you're an exception.  But people who live outside the loop stay outside the loop.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 11:55:47 AM »
Hmm.. gross we make about $150k a year. It'd be $800 a month including taxes, so that's $9,600 a year difference. We're on track to save ~$40k this year, maybe more.

not to get off topic but i really really hope you have some student loans or something if you're only saving 40k a year on that salary.  my wife and i save close to 100k (this includes company matches) on a similar salary and have a 2200 mortgage.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:58:21 AM by boarder42 »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 11:57:09 AM »
Yup. If you make 150k and you're only saving 40k you could probably cut elsewhere.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 11:57:19 AM »
Hmm.. gross we make about $150k a year. It'd be $800 a month including taxes, so that's $9,600 a year difference. We're on track to save ~$40k this year, maybe more.

I might consider it since your savings is fairly low.  What does your SO want to do?

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 12:03:03 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm having a bit of fuzzy math with the future savings since I'm set to start the job in a week but haven't seen the paycheck.

We spend about $50k a year. Too much on food. Everything else is OK. I used to spend even less, but added back in some stuff like a dishwasher, laundry, going out to eat with friends, etc because it made me happier.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »
My SO is the one with the sucky commute if we move. He's undecided as well because the savings do sound nice.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »
@TheOldestYoungMan I'm thinking along the same lines as you! Moving to the suburbs would build wealth. Especially with doing an AirBnB/ rental thing.

But it's going to be a few years on the kids thing, and going to free stuff in the park is FUN.
So far though, I don't like being in the suburbs in Houston.  The first part is that everything around here is about kids.  If you're got some or plan to start soon it'll be great, but until then you aren't included and aren't welcome.

The second thing is that once you get out to the suburbs, you aren't going back to Houston for anything.  You think you'll meet the spouse downtown after work a couple times a month and head over to the free concerts in the park like you do now.  You won't.  You just won't.

This is what I'm afraid of :(

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »
Stay put until kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »
For me, it wouldn't be worth it. Maybe out up a cast study to optimize your food savings and other costs? Or use YNAb to track?

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts Norabird.

I've used Mint for years, but I've started tracking expenses in YNAB in January. YNAB definitely has more clarity on that.

My focus for this year has been to get this new job so I can earn a bunch more. Right now, I feel maxed out and don't want to optimize my expenses too much. Hopefully, the hustle will slow down a bit soon and I will have the mental capacity to optimize a few more of these things again.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 01:36:17 PM »
My husband and I are considering moving into the suburbs, but we're still debating.

It looks like we'd save about $600 a month by making the move.

City
Husband rides the bus. I have a 45 min drive.
One car
Grocery store across the street
Rent ~$1,550
Tolls ~$200
Extra Gas from commuting ~$100
Uber and extra bus rides around town ~$25
Lots of walking, museums, and easy access to meeting up with friends (this makes me very happy!)

Suburbs
Husband takes 15 min drive, then takes the express bus. I have a 20-minute drive.
Would buy a second car with ongoing costs of ~$4,000 a year (estimated depreciation and maintenance for a 2010 Toyota Corolla)
In the suburbs -- so nice parks, but driving to the grocery store and driving into the city occasionally.
Rent is $900 a month.
Groceries, doctors, etc are all cheaper.

The money optimizer in me likes the idea of moving into the suburbs. But the young professional that just wants to have fun wants to live in the city and enjoy it before we have kids.

What would you do?

I've done something similar in Boston. Used to live downtown, moved out into the suburbs to cut rent in half and started biking in to work. Now, Boston is a much smaller/more compact city than Houston is, so this wasn't all that radical a change (I think you're in Houston? Or did I read that wrong?) and it still only takes me 40 minutes by bike to get into town for work. FWIW, as a young professional, I do kinda miss the city; don't underestimate all of the positive intangibles of living downtown, including the part of your response that I bolded for emphasis. For my part, I enjoyed living there, but downtown Boston rent was really hindering the accumulation phase of FIRE and I realized that I valued getting my snowball rolling more than I valued being close to bars. YMMV.

As others have noted, there are myriad small ways that life will change if you move, both from a numbers perspective and a quality-of-life one.

For me, it wouldn't be worth it. Maybe out up a cast study to optimize your food savings and other costs? Or use YNAb to track?

I second this suggestion from norabird. If, as you've suggested, you're "not terribly frugal", the Mustachian hivemind may be able to help you find savings in unexpected places that make up that difference without cutting into things you value.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »
Absolutely would not do it, especially since the only reason seems to be the projected savings of $600/month.  I'm all for FI but not at the expense of an enjoyable life.  You say you live across the street from a grocery store, near a beautiful park, all your friends live in the city, etc.  There is no way in hell I would give that up for $600 extra in savings per month. You can make cuts elsewhere, or just be happy with your well above average savings rate.

Expatriate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
You are happy where you are now and probably will not be as happy when you move out. Your SO will have an extra commute. All that to achieve 10k (max, probably much less...) on an income of 150k.

I would definitely *NOT* do this, and rather optimize elsewhere.

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »
I would never live in the burbs without kids.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 03:18:22 PM »
You guys make a lot of $ so don't have to sacrifice our happiness for more $.  OUr kids are long gone and we moved back into town from the burbs 4 years ago and love it. WE can walk from our house to all the events downtown, etc.  I would wait until you have kids.

SeanMC

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 03:26:11 PM »
I wouldn't. The shift from being walking centric to car centric is a major lifestyle one that it hard to fathom until you do it. This is one case where the health and well-being of city life has value.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 12:36:38 AM »
To be honest, it doesn't sound like you want to, and doing things just for the money never bodes well.

I'm single and live in the suburbs on London, however it really works for me. It's significantly cheaper, I give you that, but it's not my motivating factor. I love quiet. Yes,  I like to sit at home and hear nothing, and absolutely adore hearing the birdsong on my street on the mornings. I also love gardening, and have a 100 ft garden that I grow loads of veg in. And  my commute is a walk to a station, then 35 mins of train, where I always get a choice of seats, that I use as my reading time. I also love having space at home, having a lounge and dining room, a spare bedroom and a kitchen I love - complete with aga. It's such a good place to cook and have people over.

So for me, the suburbs work.  Don't get me wrong, I love visiting the city and working there, and the commute home does get a bit tiring for me, even though I love where I live. If you weren't vested in it, it would get tiring quickly.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2016, 04:07:38 AM »
I personally would never do it, but people are different and I know nothing about Houston...

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 06:03:27 AM »
You should read Your Money Or Your Life. Frankly the most important factor for me with respect to these decisions is your total time commuting. I am also less convinced your math works the way it works as I read through your numbers and I find them... less believable (where does the extra $100/month for gas come from, when you drive only ~20 min more per day in the city and presumably highway minutes? can't you pay some sort of monthly pass for tolls? etc).

Just a note, making your commute 5 minutes shorter each way gives you more than a full working week back of time, every year.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2016, 06:32:08 AM »
Stay where you are happy.  If you're happy and you know it, keep doing what you're doing.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
@ender There doesn't seem to be much additional benefit to me to model the scenario down to the penny in order to make  a decision.

I have read Your Money or Your Life. It's a great book. In fact, the whole exercise of seeing what you spend money on and wanting to spend less on some things and more on others? I ended up deciding to spend more in some places that aligned with my values.

---

The idea of commuting to a job might sound crazy to some on here, but I made a whole career change so I could do work I enjoy that fits with what I want accomplish in my life. And I didn't have to save my entire way to financial independence to do it. I was able to make the transition much sooner.

I started out really, really wanting to be done with work forever. We reduced our expenses to the bare bones... so far it made me unhappy. And at the time, with our current jobs, we had 10-15 years of saving left in those careers and it sounded unbearable. So we added back in the things we missed, and went and got new, higher paying jobs. My guess is that there's now a lot of excess as measured by Mustachian measures, but we certainly are frugal compared to the general population.

My job change means commuting a bit more or spending a bit more or just working more isn't an absolute chore the way it is for others. I anticipate having another 5-13 years of work ahead of me before FI, depending on what we spend, what we invest in, and how much we're able to increase our income. This time, I'm a-okay with that timeline.

---

But back to the original question. Based on the feedback here, we think we'll stay put until there are enough factors that make the suburbs sound appealing. The cheap housing with a yard, good schools, and general community will probably be a good fit when kids are in the picture.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 01:26:14 PM »
spending 110k/year is more than double the avg median salary so you're not much more frugal than most americans. 

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
No.  Find other places to cut your budget.  I think you will miss the restaurants, museums and your friends.

goldensam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 04:25:03 PM »
Truthfully, for Houston (if you're still there) the whole situation is set up for suburban living.  You can certainly stay in the city if you want to, but the cost is pretty steep and there's a hundred little ways suburban living is subsidized.

I love the idea of urban living, loved London and D.C. both, but Houston just sucks in so many ways.  There's no real quality of life without a car, although if you get the right spot in the suburbs you can probably figure out how to make it work with just the one.  So that's what I'd say, it's not unreasonable here to satellite it out, but take your time finding the right spot so you can engineer a cost efficient way to access the bus without needing a second car.

I'd also be tempted to double down, getting a slightly larger space you monetize a bit by renting out an extra bedroom/airbnb host; the extra money really takes the sting out of additional commute costs.

You know you better than I do, maybe you're an exception.  But people who live outside the loop stay outside the loop.

I live in a suburb of Houston and work downtown. I totally agree with you. I am counting the days until we move back into the loop.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 07:40:39 PM »
We spend ~55k, so this will bump up our savings to ~70k.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »
I would love to live downtown and be within walking distance of so many things that you have now. We live in a very lovely little suburban neighborhood and I still dream about being closer to things. In a soul-sucking suburban wasteland that is Houston you would have to pay me a HELL of a lot more than $600/month to move from downtown to the suburbs. Save your soul, your health, a small slice of the planet, and stay put. Spend the time you are not stuck in a car staring at a huge-ass SUV bumper going on a walk, meditating, and figuring out how to bump up that income/reduce spending. You'll be better off in the long run.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 07:52:24 AM »
We spend ~55k, so this will bump up our savings to ~70k.

i think you have a lot of other areas you could cut if you're spending ~100k and still be happy and stay down town

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 07:58:35 AM »
Not spending anywhere close to 100k! But yes, at 55k, there are plenty of places to cut if we feel like it.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 08:19:43 AM »
you numbers dont add up.  you cant spend 55k and make 150k and this would bump your savings to 70k. 

if this bumps your savings to 70k you're spending 80k at that point which means you're spending between 90-100k right now.  taxes are an expense

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »
There's no way I'd see 25k in taxes as an early retiree like we will making 150k, so I don't think it's relevant. A smaller amount would need to be included in our retirement numbers. But sure... think about it however you'd like.

How is this helpful?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2016, 10:14:54 AM »
There's no way I'd see 25k in taxes as an early retiree like we will making 150k, so I don't think it's relevant. A smaller amount would need to be included in our retirement numbers. But sure... think about it however you'd like.

How is this helpful?

b/c you're trying to cut an expense and based on your lack of full information numbers you may have many more areas to cut expenses and not have to move out of an area you "love" to live.

i think you need to lay down a more inclusive grasp of where everything is going .

150k minus 25k is 125k take home

125 minus the 55k you currently claim to spend is already the 70k you claim you'd be able to save by moving. 

just saying quick math with the little i've gathered from your posts say the math doesnt make sense, so more information would be needed
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:17:04 AM by boarder42 »

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 01:23:22 PM »
If we move, I'd spend ~45k, and then save ~80k, with 25k in taxes.

These numbers are based off of a 40k bump in salary for my new job I'm starting in two weeks, so I didn't have great numbers on possible savings until I recalculated everything.

I use YNAB so I'm very clear on what I'm spending. 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »
I'm a bit surprised by the responses on this thread.  I am wondering if I am reading the question differently than the rest.

The way I interpret it, the move would not only save you $600/mo in rent, $200 in tolls, $100 in gas,  $$ on grocieries/doctors and also shave 25 minutes off your commute. With the only additional expense/cost being the purchase and maintenance of an affordable, reliable commuter car, and the "cost" of missing out on some free concerts.

Is this correct?

If so, what are your husband's travel times before and after the move?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:53:18 PM by So Close »

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
It's basically neutral on the total commute to work.
In the city, I drive 45 minutes and he takes the bus (20 minutes).
In the suburbs, I drive 20 minutes and he drives then takes the bus (45 minutes).

The suburbs are car-centric, the city isn't.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:39:27 PM by Genevieve »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 03:21:09 PM »
Ah... this job is a great job with the right experience for where I am in my career and what I want to do with it. I'm not interested in waiting around another 6 months to slow my career growth for a job in the city. (I enjoy my career.) In an ideal pie in the sky scenario, I'd love to have the perfect job in the city! But this is the reality of my situation.

We were looking at a 1 bedroom apartment to a 2 bedroom townhouse, moving our existing desks into the separate bedroom.

I"m not sure what my hobbies would be out there. We would go on walks in a park close by. I like going to museums, events, and playing games at various friends' houses -- most who live in the city. I think living in the city would be more fun, except for my commute.

But these are small expenses... don't want to be in analysis paralysis. The gist of it is: Moving to the suburbs will be cheaper by ~$600 a month.
I have struggled with this myself a bit.

My husband and I live in one town and work 10 miles away. (one block from each other)
We don't carpool because we shift our schedules for kid drop off and pick up.
We could sell our current 2BR house and buy a 3BR house for the same, in the town where we work.  More space, less commuting. (Note: the new town does not have 2BR houses because the town is newer.)
Many people on here said it's a "no brainer", MOVE!

But we didn't and we haven't.  Older kid is pretty settled in elementary, and we love our neighbors.  We have a "tribe".  We have potlucks on the weekend (where we all walk 1/4 to 1/2 mile to the local park). We carpool to school with the neighbors.  We have play dates.  We feed each others pets on vacations, and get each others mail.

Hard to put a price on that.  I don't think $600 would do it for me.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »
Have you moved lately?    It's a huge pain in the ass.  I don't think $600 would be worth it to me.