Author Topic: Would you leave a job with no 401k?  (Read 3240 times)

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
Would you leave a job with no 401k?
« on: May 24, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
If you were already working for a company that didn't even offer 401k, much less match, would you quit? Would the tax benefits be worth enough (assuming you're making >$40k and could save the full $18k) to you that you would quit because of the tax inefficiencies?

Kind of a broad question - I realize there are other factors, but in general?

norabird

• Walrus Stache
Re: Would you leave a job with no 401k?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
I wouldn't quit without another job, but it would motivate me to find a new employer.

curler

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »
Like you say, there are other factors.  Is the pay good?  Do I like what I do?  Do I have a reasonable commute?  What are my other options?  Realistically, having access to the 401(k) is probably worth less than $5,000 in salary to you.  So this questions is like asking if you would leave a job that didn't pay an extra $5,000...it would depend on what else is out there.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 06:37:22 AM »
I would definitely be interested in another job. I'm personally thinking about taking a job that offers extra tax-advantaged savings plans. It's enough where I could get a paycut, work part time, and still end up with more money in my accounts due to all the tax savings.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 10:37:38 AM »
My employer dropped it's match in 2010, then the whole 401K in 2011.  I am still here because I have not found anything better.  The match was worth 3% of pay (they serve it up as "50% match up to 6% of pay" to make it sound really valuable).  It's like anything else, you just factor it into the equation.  I don't value tax deferral as much as folks on this forum do, because I am not convinced the current tax brackets will stay this low, and I also believe that a known tax rate is better than an unknown.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 04:41:54 PM »
Personally, I'd prefer to work somewhere that offers the 401K option but would try to take all pros/cons into account.  If I really liked the job otherwise, I'd try to think more creatively.  For instance, could I craft a side gig and generate self employed income to put into a Solo 401K? Or could I pick up a part-time job where they do offer a 401K and set it to funnel the highest $ amount into the 401K as possible (some allow up to 75%)?

I think after I exhausted all other options I'd leave if I found a comparable place with a 401K... but I guess it would ultimately hinge on how happy I am at the job.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:45:56 PM »
I would certainly be less likely to take employment that didn't offer a 401K. I live in a state with income tax  - each dollar of 401K contribution saves me over 30 cents of taxes. My current employer also matches 50% of all contributions up to the max, so actually each dollar I contribute is worth $1.55. Napkin math says my current employer's 401K policy will net me an extra $10K this year (though obviously I'd need to adjust that for taxes on withdrawal when I FIRE.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!