Author Topic: Would you go on a honeymoon if you were in debt?  (Read 16105 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Would you go on a honeymoon if you were in debt?
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:40:16 PM »
We are $40k (student loans) in debt. The wedding will cost around $5k, and we are having it soon and at all because my fiance's dad is ill and some things (like fiance's dad being there) are worth more than money. Anyways. We've planned a super small wedding and have cut all corners as much ad possible.

But... The honeymoon. I want to pay a house cleaner $50 to make our place feel like a hotel. Then just be together and eat nice meals and have ALL the quality time. My fiancé wants to travel to some place we've never been, to explore and be cute. He thinks we could keep it to $1000. Objectively, I know he's being a certain type of reasonable. As a mustachian, all I can think of is my hair burning off (DEBT EMERGENCY) and we do not have money for a honeymoon. But, I do not love travelling as much as he does.

So what do we do? What would you do? I suggested we put off the big honeymoon until later, but I think this is really important to him. He's been such a good mustachian (converted!) in so many ways, that I feel I should lighten up and let this happen. But I want to feel good about it, not guilty. Agh. What to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meggslynn

• Bristles
Re: Would you go on a honeymoon if you were in debt?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »
If it were us we would do a camping honeymoon. We both enjoy it and it's quite inexpensive. A week of camping in nature unplugged to me sounds an awesome way to spend the first week of married life.

NeighborGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
You already know that your hair is on fire. We don't need to belabor that. Also, seems like you know you would just dwell on the guilt the whole time instead of enjoying yourself. The math adds up to "bad idea."

How about a compromise? Instead of jetsetting off to somewhere exotic, why not just take a road trip to a local winery or something? You get to explore a new place and be cute without having to go very far or spend tons of money.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »
I vote for the honeymoon.

I'm not a very sentimental person and I don't like the idea of engagement rings, or fancy weddings, or conflating material wealth with romantic love.

But travel is happiness inducing. And there is something to be said for marking important personal dates with celebration.

This is a situation where playing the miles game (travel hacking) could add real value to your life. You could mark the important occasion, go somewhere cool, enjoy a taste of luxury, and save tons of money all at the same time.

And while it might be too late to finance your honeymoon in this manner, it's certainly not too late to start building up reserves for the next such opportunity.

The final point I would make is that cheap travel is often the best travel. The most romantic trip I ever took with my wife was one of our least expensive ones.

We took a ferry to an island off of the coast of Tokyo- where we lived, (we slept on the floor of the ferry next to a bunch of vacationing college kids,) we stayed at a rustic (read cheap) Inn on the island and biked around the island and Bathed in natural seaside Hot Springs, and picked berries, and got sunburnt, and had a fantastic time.

So scrimp elsewhere, travel somewhere beautiful for less, and celebrate your coming marriage. That seems like the smartest play for happiness from where I am sitting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:32:49 PM by milesdividendmd »

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »
So libraryjoy, my first reaction was "hey isn't this the person who posted that thread about her spouse making FIRE easier" and viola:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/what-if-your-spouse-could-make-you-fire-would-you-live-differently/msg327968/#msg327968

Now admittedly I didn't re-read every response there, and I only followed some of it the first time around, but I think spending up to $1,000 on a fun honeymoon is something that should be done in your situation. Not everyone should do it, and it's not necessary in order to have a good time, but you are in a good situation and you are (hopefully) only getting married once. It's worth celebrating!

Talk about it with your fiance, and come to an agreement where you will both be happy and won't regret the decision. Don't let the small debt which is only a short-term problem get in the way of doing what you actually want to do. If that's a lot of money on a one-time fancypants vacation, fine. If it's a camping trip, that's fine too. Either way the debt will be gone soon and FIRE will be waiting soon after.

Good luck!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »

So libraryjoy, my first reaction was "hey isn't this the person who posted that thread about her spouse making FIRE easier" and viola:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/what-if-your-spouse-could-make-you-fire-would-you-live-differently/msg327968/#msg327968

Now admittedly I didn't re-read every response there, and I only followed some of it the first time around, but I think spending up to $1,000 on a fun honeymoon is something that should be done in your situation. Not everyone should do it, and it's not necessary in order to have a good time, but you are in a good situation and you are (hopefully) only getting married once. It's worth celebrating!

Talk about it with your fiance, and come to an agreement where you will both be happy and won't regret the decision. Don't let the small debt which is only a short-term problem get in the way of doing what you actually want to do. If that's a lot of money on a one-time fancypants vacation, fine. If it's a camping trip, that's fine too. Either way the debt will be gone soon and FIRE will be waiting soon after.

Good luck!

Yep, that was me! I would feel like a mega-jerk depriving my fiancé of a honeymoon (quite possibly his one and only shot at that experience) when he has finally been bringing his own lunches to work. I think I need to pick my battles here :)

Thanks for bringing up that old thread, it helps me put things into perspective. The big picture.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »

You already know that your hair is on fire. We don't need to belabor that. Also, seems like you know you would just dwell on the guilt the whole time instead of enjoying yourself. The math adds up to "bad idea."

How about a compromise? Instead of jetsetting off to somewhere exotic, why not just take a road trip to a local winery or something? You get to explore a new place and be cute without having to go very far or spend tons of money.

A close-to-home vacation would be easier if we lived somewhere else. We explored potential alternatives, but really - this is just something he really wants. And I suppose $1000 is not $5000. As in, the holiday he is proposing is rather "cheap" compared to our peers.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:42:07 PM »
Take the honeymoon.

Make it a nice long weekend.  Doesn't need to be expensive.

Plan to save up over 1-2 months with money just for this, then go when work or other schedules allow, but plan for it now.  Make it special, like your marriage.

Besides, after a wedding, maybe hubby deserves this too.

Where do you live that it would cost minimum $1000?

I can understand northern areas where fuel to get anywhere would be $600 round trip, but even then there are nice local choices.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:45:29 PM by goldielocks »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »

Take the honeymoon.

Besides, after a wedding, maybe hubby deserves this too.

I'm seeing that it is mustachian to spend money where it counts.

Haha but don't be confused, my fiancé wanted the wedding - not me! I wanted the elopement = honeymoon package... Lol

hexdexorex

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 12:37:45 AM »
It sounds like it's going to be a inexpensive honeymoon. So as long as you like traveling I would just do it. It's natural at your age to have debt....and it's also natural to feel bad about spending money when your in debt. Think of the honeymoon as an investment.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:39:19 AM by hexdexorex »

PilotsWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »
If your student loans have a low interest rate, then I'm not sure I would even consider it hair-on-fire debt. And if you can truly keep your costs low, then I would 100% say go for the honeymoon! Admittedly, I have a travel addiction problem but my honeymoon was my most expensive trip & I don't regret one second of it.

Where were you thinking of going? Have you considered using Airbnb or credit card points to keep costs down? Or perhaps posting on the forum to stay with another Mustachian? It might not be the most romantic thing, but it might work!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 02:32:10 AM »

Good luck!

Yep, that was me! I would feel like a mega-jerk depriving my fiancé of a honeymoon (quite possibly his one and only shot at that experience) when he has finally been bringing his own lunches to work. I think I need to pick my battles here :)

Thanks for bringing up that old thread, it helps me put things into perspective. The big picture.

Weren't you also the person who was going to buy their fiance a $1000 watch?

I'd vote for the honeymoon over the watch, but IMO $1000 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things. It may put your FIRE back a week or 2? Not really a big deal....

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 02:32:10 AM »

Good luck!

I'd vote for the honeymoon over the watch, but IMO $1000 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things. It may put your FIRE back a week or 2? Not really a big deal....

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 06:22:04 AM »
I probably wouldn't spend 1000$.  I would either do a long weekend to keep costs down, or a week long trip but camp. 

35 years ago my parents went on a two week camping out west at national parks honeymoon.  It was an amazing trip from what they said. 

When we got married we had a positive net worth (barely) and skipped the honeymoon.  We figured we would do it in a few years when we could better afford it.  9 years later we still haven't gone, but it looks like it might happen next year.  Pro tip:  don't have kids if you want to take romantic solo vacations ;)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 07:14:28 AM »

Bwahahaha yes that was me! Ended up getting him a $300 watch, and me a $300 engagement ring. We are trying so hard :)

A honeymoon would set us back very little, time-wise. Our debt has a very low interest rate.

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 07:22:18 AM »
Another vote for the honeymoon.

We spent less than $1000 on ours, and we will remember it for the rest of our lives. Just do it!

Cheers.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 07:29:41 AM »
We waited a year to go on a honeymoon. We were stretched too thin right when we got married. We had a good time.

I say: Set a goal for reducing your student loan debt over the year and if you reach it or beat it, then go on the honeymoon.

But... as others have said... $1000 is pretty cheap. I won't judge you. :)

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 07:32:55 AM »
If this is low interest debt then I wouldn't be too concerned and would go on the honeymoon. If it is important to you/your husband then it is worth it, right?

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 07:39:46 AM »
We had a positive but tiny net worth, and we spent about $500 for a long weekend of eating and boozing at a schmancy resort. We got married at the courthouse, so the honeymoon felt important for adding some pomp and circumstance to the deal.

I agree with others that $1,000 isn't a big deal in the long run, especially for a (hopefully) one-time event like a honeymoon. This is a great idea:

I say: Set a goal for reducing your student loan debt over the year and if you reach it or beat it, then go on the honeymoon.

I'd have to do something like that to let myself splurge with debt, I think.

clarkm04

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 07:45:36 AM »
Another vote for take the $1 K honeymoon.

You'll have only one chance to do it and $40 K in SL debt given your age isn't terrible.  My advice would be totally different if you had 40 K in car and CC expenses.

My DW and I had an amazing honeymoon and I'll never forget the experience.  You and your future spouse won't regret it and $1000 is a very reasonable amount to spend.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »
+1 Take the honeymoon!

5 years later we still talk about our trip (to Ireland) fondly and remember how much fun we had staying at inexpensive B&Bs and just enjoying the scenery and being together.  Life gets busy, it's nice to have that time together.  We saved up for ours before we left, but I think I'd still do it in your position.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 08:20:35 AM »
+2 Take the honeymoon!! Decide on the time line though. Think if it would make sense to go immediately after wedding or go a bit later.

We did one a year after our wedding due to leave issues but it is still one of the best trips we took. Since we had planned it for a year, it was fun planning it and going der (we went to Thailand and Cambodia). Having that time where nothing else exists is super special. We also had enough time to find deals and have a fab vacation at minimal cost.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
Another vote not to feel locked in to go on the honeymoon immediately after your wedding.  We went 1.5 years later.

rujancified

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 09:22:22 AM »
Take the trip and enjoy it! In 5 or 10 or 15 years you will not remember what it cost, only that you got to get away from regular life and be goofy with your new husband.

We got married in our early-30s and had only mortgage debt. Our honeymoon was an epic trip and we did lots of amazing things, but the memories that I treasure the most are giddily introducing ourselves to hotel proprietors and restaurant staff as "my husband" or "my wife."

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »
We would not travel if we were $40K in debt, and we're huge travel nuts. I would focus on putting every extra penny towards that thing, knock it out, and then start doing regular trips anywhere you want to go. You have a lifetime to travel together.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »
Take the honeymoon. He, at least, will regret it if you don't, and he's making a lot of changes now as it is.

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
I think the key point you didn't mention is your financial situation. You mentioned $40k in student loans, but what is your household income/budget? Are you two making $100k+ or $65k combined? That should also factor into how you view this.

FWIW, I'm of Asian family, and a $5k wedding is unbelievably cheap. The alcohol alone at my sister's wedding next year will cost more than that, so it's hard for me to really berate you or spouse for wanting to spend $6k on a wedding/honeymoon.

I'd say if you make <$50k, you can't afford it. If you both make $50-100k then maybe you can swing it depending on your savings and progress toward financial goals for the year, and >$100k shut up and go on vacation.

jasonw223

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »
It's ultimately up to you, but my wife and I got a great deal on an all-inclusive in Mexico for ours.  It set us back about $2000.  I don't regret spending a penny of that, but I DO regret all the money I spent on our wedding...

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »
Sit down and hammer out an agreement for a low cost honeymoon like a road trip and a groupon rate hotel.  It's a good exercise in relationship management.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »
8 years of marriage and DW and I have still not taken our honeymoon. Maybe we'll do it when the kids are a bit older, or maybe it'll be out first task on hitting FI.

We had a trip after the wedding, but it was little more than the drive from Maryland back to Wisconsin where we lived. At the time, DW was 5 months pregnant and we'd both just switched jobs within the past 3 months. We were surely negative net worth, and I think we had more cash received as wedding gifts than in our bank account.

Your situation seems more stable. If the SL interest is lowish, I'd go on the honeymoon right after the wedding. If it is high, set a stretch goal of paying X amount down, THEN go on a trip.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
Take the honeymoon. We didn't have debt when we married but I wasn't happy with our savings. Hubby really wanted a proper honeymoon and it ended up being great. I didn't realize at the time how special it would be to have us check in to a hotel as a married couple and be called Mr and Mrs. It was really lovely and we saved the money beforehand so I didn't have to stress about it. My other advice would be to consider that you might want to wait a little after the wedding. We waited for a month after ours to go on a honeymoon and I'm so glad we did because the first week after the wedding I was wiped out and went to bed at 9 every night. By the time the honeymoon came around I had a lot more energy.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:40 PM »
Take the honeymoon! You are young, the cost is only 1000 so enjoy yourselves.

WonderingAgain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »
Take the honeymoon. Enjoy yourselves. Spend the time making your memories.

It will make a huge difference down the road when you have shared joys to talk about.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »
I agree with taking the honeymoon, but make sure that it's not just for him.  Go somewhere that you are excited about as well.

It's nice to see so many Mustachians recommending the honeymoon.  I would not have predicted it, but I'm glad to see that my view isn't way off base from others on this topic.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »
Wow, really awesome advice here! Major points that stood out to me:

-Taking the trip later on is less of an option. His work schedule (medical residency) is not super flexible. Thinking of trying to fit it in later when we have new jobs and kids maybe... I see this as a now or never kinda deal.

-$1000 is my estimate, but there is a chance we could bring it down to $800. Still, not the craziest vacation ever. Thanks to a mustachian on here, we were able to find an inn that is $80/night! Kind of shabby chic, but right up our alley.

-My SO has been making major changes in his life, and has joined me on the path to badassity. So yeah. He deserves it. (And I would have fun, too!)

-We make more than $60k per year, and have plans to erase our debt by next summer. A honeymoon won't throw us off by much.

Thank you, everyone, for helping me get excited about this! Especially the part about giddily checking into our rooms as Mr. and Mrs.! :)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »

-Taking the trip later on is less of an option. His work schedule (medical residency) is not super flexible. Thinking of trying to fit it in later when we have new jobs and kids maybe... I see this as a now or never kinda deal.

I have friends that at one point were in residency.  They were given 2 2-week vacations a year.  They could request them for certain times, but weren't guaranteed to get them.  Is there a reason that this wouldn't work for you? 

It's fine if you just don't want to do it, but it seems to me you could if you wanted, delay 6-12 months, and still go before kids, but after you've worked off some the debt you're stressing about.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 07:36:27 AM »

I have friends that at one point were in residency.  They were given 2 2-week vacations a year.  They could request them for certain times, but weren't guaranteed to get them.  Is there a reason that this wouldn't work for you? 

It's fine if you just don't want to do it, but it seems to me you could if you wanted, delay 6-12 months, and still go before kids, but after you've worked off some the debt you're stressing about.

You are right, it pretty much works like that. I guess I am just amazed that he and I requested the same time period off, and GOT IT. My jobs change a lot, so while I'm sure anything is possible... We are going to take advantage of the fact that we both got the same time off!

In the past we have had a hard time coordinating time off. Just because he requests it, doesn't mean he gets it.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 08:04:15 AM »
Definitely take it.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 08:15:25 AM »
I would go. We just went on a week-long honeymoon that cost about $1000 with more debt than you and don't regret it. We cut costs by staying in a family member's house (he stayed with my parents for that week) and cooking a lot of our own food. We just spent money airplane tickets, some bus tickets, and food.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 08:36:14 AM »
Given the facts here, yes.  Take the honeymoon and set aside any guilt.   Enjoy!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
Looks like you've made a choice already.
I've finished residency and am 3 years into attendingship. I've been married for 3 years and haven't been on a honeymoon yet.
I am honest when I say I don't regret it. I like being married. I will take my wife on a honeymoon later. I suppose by definition it will just be an extended trip.
That being said, $1000 to check off that honeymoon box in your fiancés head is worth it, in the context of you paying off your debt within the next year.
Have an awesome trip!

scrnplyr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 03:15:22 AM »
Of course you do the honeymoon. Get the marriage off to a fun start and know that you will earn the honeymoon back later.  It sounds like you will be well below the cost of a typical wedding even w the grand for travel.  And don't let the pursuit of independence obscure the equally important pursuit of fun and adventure!! Happy marriage!

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 07:23:50 AM »
I was going to suggest doing the honeymoon 6 months after the wedding because it gives you something to look forward to, and plan, after the wedding. But then I noticed your comment about residency and time off and changed my mind. Take it now. At $800-1000, that's fine, especially if your only debt is student loans. I think a honeymoon for this price fits nicely into the MMM philosophy.

Great to see a resident watching their money. Many get the largest loan possible and live like kings....and then complain about debt loads.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »
Do it, and let us know how it was.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2014, 01:17:38 PM »
i think if one of you were unemployed, or if you had an unstable life situation, my answer might be different.

but that's not the case -- you both have good jobs, and you know you'll be hitting the debt hard when you get back. so i say go for it.

of course this is coming from a lady who had ~$50K in debt with her new husband and still fucked off to costa rica for a month after the wedding ... but we both had good jobs and we were focused. and here it is not even 2 years alter and those debts are within ~$2500 of being paid off.

i wouldn't trade our costa rica memories for anything! and honestly i think that time together in a new place really helped us figure out our goals for the next few years, in a way that's hard to do in the midst of day-to-day life.

so go! and make some memories! and a baby if you want! LOL

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 01:40:08 PM »
Go on the honeymoon. If you feel guilty, go ahead and try to cut back on the cost and drive the it down to $800,
but then you need to take that $200 difference and put it towards something else that will make this trip more enjoyable for you!
Optimize the experience and carry on with no regrets.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 01:42:56 PM »
Take the honeymoon! This is one of those things that can get lost and not found again for 30+ years if you are not careful, esp if your husband is a doctor with a crazy work schedule.  Made it through medical school with only $40k of debt, that right there is badass alone!

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
With the debt being low interest SLs, both of you gainfully employed, and set with an attack plan for it, ABSOLUTELY.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »
Eh, we did, just 3 nights at a B&B in our state in a cute town, and we had more debt than you and made less money back then in 2008. Go, have fun! At $80 a night, that's pretty cheap. And we've taken other vacations since then but you only get one honeymoon, y'know?

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 05:45:35 AM »
I will chime in and add my vote to 'Take the Honeymoon'. 

There is something absolutely magical about the first few weeks of being a married couple, and taking a small vacation together after the wedding will feel much much different to you than any other vacation you will take together later.

Yes, you still carry debt, but you are both well on the road to resolving it and to a lifetime of sensible spending and saving.  If the suggested honeymoon was a $20,000 blowout in Tahiti I'm sure we'd all be aghast, but a few inexpensive days away together is a very reasonable approach for a honeymoon.

Indulge this desire, and treasure every moment.  You'll reminisce about it for decades to come.