Author Topic: Would you choose better Job with low stress and more money or better location?  (Read 6004 times)

Baron235

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Which option would you choose and why:

Option A (Better Job and Money):  Stay at current job that pays well and will lead to FIRE in 5 or  7 years.  Cons of this job are long commute; far from family and area we would like to end up at.    Pros:  Love my job; low stress; and great pay.  We like option A's location and still visit option B for a month or so in the summer (similar to MMM's trips to Canada).  It is a good place to live, but it isn't our preferred place. 

Option B (Desired Location):  Move to area that we would prefer to live and is closer to family.  Cons:  Low pay (FIRE would be 10-15 years away maybe more); more work stress; longer works hours.  Pros: Short commute, close to family, and close to the outdoors.    Option B is where we would move if we were FIRE anyways, so at some point we will move there, now or after all the kids finish school. 

The real twist is that my oldest is 7 and in 5 or 7 years he will be starting junior high or  high school.  If he was younger, I would choose option A no question, since I could move to option B in 5 years.  However, I give pause to that since I think it would be hard to move just before  junior high or high school. 

What would you do? 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
I would do Option A for sure. I don't think it would be THAT hard to move before jr. high/high school. better than moving during high school!

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
Are you going to be able to enjoy the location of Option B if you are under more stress and working longer hours?

I for one would opt for option A, but that is just me.  It is not worth it to me to be under more stress and working longer hours for less pay, just to be someplace I am probably going to be too tired and stressed out to enjoy.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Is there a way you could move closer to your current job so that you would lose the long commute?

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
Option A, easily. Stress reduces the odds that you'll make it to retirement.

TLV

• Bristles
I'm in a similar situation, except with younger kids and a short commute. I've already ruled out option B as not worth it, but I'm considering the compromise option - stay in current job/location for only a few more years (rather than until FI).

peter bedpan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Option B (Desired Location):  Move to area that we would prefer to live and is closer to family.  Cons:  Low pay (FIRE would be 10-15 years away maybe more);

15 years of stress? Do you want a heart attack?
No way! Even if they would pay more.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
Which option would you choose and why:

The real twist is that my oldest is 7 and in 5 or 7 years he will be starting junior high or  high school.  If he was younger, I would choose option A no question, since I could move to option B in 5 years.  However, I give pause to that since I think it would be hard to move just before  junior high or high school. 
For me, moving in 6th and again in 10th grade was the best thing for my development.  I learned a lot of things about people, human nature, and what made people like and dislike you.

I choose A and still move to B when I can in 5-7 years.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
When I was young we moved a lot, so I had 2 new schools in 2nd grade, 2 in 3rd, 1 in each of 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th (which was a killer as we moved states, and where we moved from had 7th in primary school, while 8th was 2nd year high school in my new school, so I missed out on the first year of many subjects). It is much better to move at a break - like the beginning of high school, because kids are automatically remixed at this stage, and it is much easier to make friends.

I would go with A, and if you are not FI by this time (sounds like your worst scenario would be 2 years later - which might be 4 in B), be prepared to go with the B option. Really, really try to be FI by the time you move - maybe this will give you added incentive!

happy

• Walrus Stache

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
I would pick A as well given the information posted.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Easy choice. I think the big drivers of happiness for me will be intellectual challenge, career progression, and work environment, and if you've got all three of those and a better salary in the same option, you've got a no-brainer.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
I would probably do A as well, but I'm not sure I'd move the kids later.  I'd might stay until the end of high school.   My kids have been in the same neighbourhood all their lives and they have very strong connections with friends.  I hated moving towns myself as a kid, which we did once.

You could start to get ready to retire in B now, perhaps by purchasing a rental place that you could move into when you arrive if the numbers work.  It might make your trips to town B tax deductible (I don't know the laws in the US so you'd have to check).

ch12

• Pencil Stache
A unequivocally

When you do summer trips out there with your kids, introduce them to cousins or neighborhood kids. I used to spend a month every summer in Los Angeles, and I definitely had/have the base of a life there. I have a gigantic family, and I was there for every summer for almost half of my childhood. If my parents had decided to uproot to Los Angeles when I was 13 (7+5), I would've been apprehensive but fine in the end.

Just get to FI as fast as you comfortably and reasonably can - remember that the future holds raises and changes. Also see if you can shorten your commute in your current place.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
Option A, hands down. You have a cruise controlled ride to FIRE with option A.

With Option B you have 15 years of struggle, job changes, and eventually being either dead from health issues due to work stress or far away from yet another new job when this one from Option B drives you into the ground.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!