Author Topic: Worried abiout leaving job for a new  (Read 3003 times)

Bearblastbeats

Worried abiout leaving job for a new
« on: August 16, 2018, 07:20:13 AM »
If you've read any of my last posts here you would know that I have been highly unsatisfied at my current job. Between the typical over work and underpaid problems we face across the bored, I also feel that the company doesn't give a crap about the engineering staff here.

So, I have been applying to any new position closer to home that would pay about the same or hopefully more. That said, i have two interviews coming up next week and I am getting a little worried that, what if I don't like the new job or the people there or what if they fire me within a few months?

My current employer has a long track record of not firing people, I could potentially just ride out this job for as along as I can stand it and deal with all the BS i have been.

Or, I make the jump to a new position and ride that out until I can get out of all my debts and probably take some sort of easy PT gig at a record store lol.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
Re: Worried abiout leaving job for a new
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 07:23:41 AM »
If you always worry that the next opportunity may turn out to be worse, you'll never take a step forward. Sure, every change has the chance to be worse than you'd like or expect. Without good reason to believe that is the outcome that will happen, there's no sense in worrying about that possibility.

Give me more pay closer to home in a similar work environment and I'll change jobs in a heartbeat. I haven't found that option yet, so I'm sticking with the job I have even though the boss sucks, the work isn't that stimulating, and the pay should be better.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:44:38 PM »
What if you love the new job and the people there or what if they promote you within a few months? No reason to assume worst case scenario, you're just falling prey to the "devil you know" scenario.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:48:04 PM »
What about laying out the pros and cons here and we can help you think through it?

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
I don't have any advice, but just want to show support by letting you know you're not alone. 

I'm faced with the same thing.  My full-time job is very physically demanding, and because of this I'm actively searching for something else.  But the job has certain perks and I'm afraid a new job will only have different problems and I won't be any happier. 

I agree weighing pros and cons may help you.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 08:29:41 AM »
Let me try a pros and cons list here.

Current Job

Pros:
- three weeks pto/vacation
- I am one of six engineers here, instead of being one of 100+ like other firms
- Ability to travel all around the US dependent on client location.
- decent work/life balance
- I get joy when I do a job well and the account managers praise me or even buy me treats
- It's the most money I've ever made at a job
- Benefits are good, about as good as working for the government.
- The company does not fire people, I could ride this out for another 30 years.
- A lot of people like me here and I feel I do well at my job.

Cons:
- Can sometimes be long hours to finish deadlines and proposal
- Sometimes traveling and being away from home gets old.
- The industry is sort of the bottom feeder industry (material handling)
- I deal with sales account managers, as opposed to actual engineers. So dealing with them can be difficult with their egos and micromanagement,
- Company has no structure and it sometimes feels like the wild west. I have to reverse engineer projects salesmen will sell at x dollars and find out where all the money goes and if they sold the right components, etc.
- According to glassdoor, salary.com, linkedin, I am at least 20% underpaid, but this seems like a nationwide thing.
- There is no upward mobility, I am a systems project engineer. The only other step I could make would be engineering manager.

Future Job:
Pros:
- Fresh new start
- Ability to grow with a company
- More upward positions Senior levels and the like
- Potentially more pay
- Ability to learn more

Cons:
- Maybe they won't like me or I won't fit in
- Could be an employer with a high turn over rate
- May not be that great at what I do since new job would be full of actual engineers and architects.
- To many unknowns.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »
Have you ever done any reading on cognitive biases? There are two or three unconscious patterns that tend to make us change-averse, particularly what's called the "Status Quo bias" and also "loss-aversion bias" https://www.businessinsider.com/cognitive-biases-2015-10#self-enhancing-transmission-bias-52. There's some interesting neuroscience behind it--specifically that our brains relegate a lot of activity to routines and habits, and really, really hate having to build new routines (which takes a lot of mental energy.) Which is why people get so upset sometimes about minor changes like new parking or being asked to change desks, or why we sometimes resist even good changes.

Since you don't have much specific information about the jobs yet, your concerns may reflect some of this cognitive stuff kicking in. For me, just realizing what's going on is usually enough to get around it but I also like the book "Decisive" by Chip and Dan Heath, which gives some good advice about working around cognitive biases to make good decisions.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »
Well, I have been given and offer to work part time at best buy for $15/hr as a appliance sales associate.

I think I am going to take the gig for now to expedite debt payoffs. I have another interview on Tuesday for a Project Manager role at an Engineering Firm. Hopefully they offer enough to where I can leave both jobs behind, or keep the pt job until the baby comes.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 03:57:32 AM »
You are talking about paying off debts. In what kind of financial situation are you? Are you in a hair-on-fire debt situation? Do you have an emergency fund in case the new job doesn't work out? Generally, in most cases change is good, but it does depend on the answer to the previous two questions. If you're not financially secure I would stay around at your current employer for a bit longer.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »
I have roughly 17k left between auto and student loans. I would like to buy a house soon though.

I dont necessarily hate my career but I do think that my current employment is toxic, due to it being a sales driven organization and that the engineering department is looked at as a cost.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »
I have roughly 17k left between auto and student loans. I would like to buy a house soon though.

I dont necessarily hate my career but I do think that my current employment is toxic, due to it being a sales driven organization and that the engineering department is looked at as a cost.

You just answered your question. Time for a new job. Do your due diligence, weigh pros and cons, but you need a new job.

What you're experiencing is the fear of the unknown, combined with the natural instinct to stay where its familiar.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 12:16:17 PM »
I had another interview today for an engineering firm. They pretty much asked when I could start and maybe be looking at a 25k raise. Benefits are not as good but the travel is less so I'll be home for dinner everyday.

Here's to hoping!

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »
Congrats! Keep moving forward. You will always learn the most in the first year of any job. Get in, learn as much as you can as fast as you can, if you don't like it at the end of year 1, move on and know your smarter and more valuable for it. Probably will just learn a bunch of new things and meet some new people. For better or worse, new experiences make life fun and interesting.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 10:25:40 AM »
I recieved a phone offer for this project manager and they offered me 70k to start with a 90 day trial to see if it works out.

I countered them at 75k because that would match my true market value according to glassdoor.

I have a meeting tomorrow with a competitor to my current employer about a possibility and I was going to consider the same salary but with commission.

Being that I've been at my role for 4 years, and I have a baby on the way with the thought of becoming a home owner. What does this community think would be a good move?

Note: I still plan to work at best buy pt for the time being for extra money.