Author Topic: Working to Earn vs Working to Learn  (Read 5320 times)

Auckland Stubble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Working to Earn vs Working to Learn
« on: July 16, 2015, 02:48:33 PM »
What are your thoughts on working to earn vs working to learn early in your career.

Would you take slightly less pay if it allowed you to learn the skills necessary to earn a lot more in the future?

e.g. Take role where you will make $X and learn no skills vs take role at less than $X but will equip you will skills to make 2-3 times $X in a few years time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:50:42 PM by Auckland Stubble »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Working to Earn vs Working to Learn
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
First thing to come to mind was this:

I suppose it depends on what type of job you want long-term.  If the skill you will acquire are the type of skills you'll enjoy using, I think that would tip the scales in that direction.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »
What are your thoughts on working to earn vs working to learn early in your career.

Would you take slightly less pay if it allowed you to learn the skills necessary to earn a lot more in the future?

e.g. Take role where you will make $X and learn no skills vs take role at less than $X but will equip you will skills to make 2-3 times $X in a few years time.

Definitely. Took my first software development job that paid well below market rate because I needed the experience. Now I make a ton of money. It was the best thing to happen to me.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 04:45:46 PM »
Absolutely.  My company pays ~20% under market rate, but I've been able to learn a LOT in less than three years. My next jump (when I leave) will be substantial.

Auckland Stubble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:20:37 PM »
The working to learn job would be leading a team of 3-4, getting me valuable people management experience. Definitely want to get into management positions later on.

The work to earn job is doing analysis and reporting. I'm really good at it, but find it a bit boring and feel like I just push numbers around.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 08:43:55 PM »
The working to learn job would be leading a team of 3-4, getting me valuable people management experience. Definitely want to get into management positions later on.

The work to earn job is doing analysis and reporting. I'm really good at it, but find it a bit boring and feel like I just push numbers around.

There is your answer - you know you want to get into management, so do it! Experience is a huge plus.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 10:44:57 PM »

You already know you would be bored with the analysis/reporting job and you express an interest in learning and management. I think you know the answer to this!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!