Author Topic: Working in Pajamas  (Read 1727 times)

kmb501

• Bristles
Working in Pajamas
« on: September 03, 2019, 02:33:16 PM »
If I wanted to join the army of people who get up in the morning, go to their computers, and spend the next 4-8 hours working from home, what would be the best course of action? So far, I've signed up with places like Rev, and I also work as a freelance writer when I can find work.

My degree says I can teach, but I've had varying success with it. I'd actually like a job blogging. I know it takes a while to build your own blog and gain ad revenue, but I was wondering if there are more ghostwriting opportunities out there.

I've also considered maybe writing some short fiction, but right now I'm just not a very good fiction writer. I can follow an example for short non-fiction excerpts, though.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Working in Pajamas
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 04:40:48 PM »
Go to the website Upwork. Look around there to see what you could do.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
Have you considered technical writing? Many tech companies allow remote work. For example: https://boards.greenhouse.getrake.io/digitalocean98/jobs/1654948?gh_jid=1654948

Keep in mind you don't always have to be super technical for these roles. You might be able to write guides, case studies, etc. or even edit them without too much previous knowledge.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 09:10:14 AM »
Have you considered technical writing? Many tech companies allow remote work. For example: https://boards.greenhouse.getrake.io/digitalocean98/jobs/1654948?gh_jid=1654948

Keep in mind you don't always have to be super technical for these roles. You might be able to write guides, case studies, etc. or even edit them without too much previous knowledge.

Second on the technical writing. I did this after I quit teaching and loved it.

As far as your question, go to Indeed.com and put "Remote" in the location box. You will be rewarded with all kinds of advertised positions that are location independent. Software, tutoring, database admin, virtual assistant..all kinds of positions lends themselves to working remotely and from home. I've been working full time from home for 3 years now and I will never go back to a cube farm.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »
I think I might look for some technical writing opportunities, then!

Go to the website Upwork. Look around there to see what you could do.

This is one that I don't know if I can do anymore. I asked to have my account reactivated after it was cancelled, and I haven't been able to get them to re-approve my application; it always says they don't need workers with my current skill set, not sure what I'm doing wrong.