Author Topic: Working for a fellow Colleague  (Read 2448 times)

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
Working for a fellow Colleague
« on: October 23, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »
Hello,

At my old employer, I worked in a team with various levels of experience but all at the same title.  I was the young guy out of B school and I was working with some more seasoned vets.  Well, a lot of my team left the company (along with me) and I stayed in touch with one of my closer colleagues.  We always had a good relationship and still grab lunch together every so often.  He was one of the more seasoned vets.

Well, he just got placed in a Sr. Manager level at a CPG company and he texted me and said my company is relocated HQ up here by us and he was going to shoot over positions for me in the future.  Well, I had lunch with him today and he laid the little details that he had and pretty much told me that the job was mind if I wanted it.  This is all IF everything plays out to what he thinks it is. 

I am on the hook with a sign on bonus with my company until March 23rd, but I think I would leave the company after 1 year.  I know by leaving I will get a promotion to Sr FA, a nice bump in pay, and a bonus.  No details, but I told him how much I made and he said he shouldnt have a problem getting me a nice bump on it.  He said he wanted to bring me in because he understands how I work and he wants someone to see the same way as him so they can continue moving the same direction.

Is there any foreseeable issues with working for him?  I would say that we are friends, but not BEST friends, just good business friends.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
Re: Working for a fellow Colleague
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »
You didn't really say if you were happy or not with your current job, but If the numbers make sense, I wouldn't hesitate to make the move.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 02:05:19 PM »
You didn't really say if you were happy or not with your current job, but If the numbers make sense, I wouldn't hesitate to make the move.

I am just content with my job.  It's a job and pays me OK, I am in the fringe Analyst/ Sr Analyst level, pretty much on the edge of making really good money.  I would probably get promoted here, but intercompany promotions could be what 10% at best.  Who knows when that could be. 

I presume I can get $80-$85k at the new job with a bonus vs $77k-$80k here with a bonus.  Commute is the same, companies are extremely similiar in nature. 

I have a feeling my buddy is going to make the numbers work in my favor.  Next job feels like it would be more exciting.  Both companies are smaller CPG companies with big opportunity aka turn-around strategy.  Backed by BIG money and strong brand equity.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:11:05 PM by Easye418 »

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 03:48:50 PM »
Sounds like you've made up your mind Easye418.  Would you be working for your former colleague (his direct report)?  If so, did you get along with him at your past company (I'm presuming yes, but want to confirm)?  If both are yes, then I wouldn't hesitate to make the jump when the time comes.

alexrcraig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Have a Rich Marriage
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
I do not see any problem with it. As long as you do not compare yourself to him and get jealous of him or feel like he should not boss you around.

I had my friend work for me one time and it did not work out very well. It had more to do with his work ethic than anything. I thought he was a good worker, but turns out he was not. He was not able to fill the role to what any other person could so I had to let him go.

We are no longer friends. So my experience has been kind of bad. But we were personal friends too so I think he thought he could walk all over me and slack at his job. He would show up late and costed me thousands of dollars in mistakes.

Good luck. Just make sure your expectations are in line is the single advice I could probably give you.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!