Author Topic: Work situation  (Read 3981 times)

MMMdude

• Bristles
Work situation
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
I have a situation at work that is really starting to aggrevate me/affect my health.  I have been at company six years and started with 2 direct reports at that time.  That is now 9 as more and more duties have been transferred from another dep’t.  They are planning to transfer more to me, BUT they will be adding 2 people to my dep’t and then divvying up the responsibilities in that dep’t between the three of us.  One of these positions would be a promotion over mine.  I don’t really care about the promotion as my income is 6X basic expenses so more $ won’t mean anything to me although hey, not going to lie everyone likes abit extra $ and wouldn’t turn it down. 

The company went out and interviewed external candidates and I guess I was the best one for the job as my boss told me an offer letter was forthcoming.  4 weeks later and no offer letter.  Thru the grapevine, I know for a fact that my boss wants me for the job, but that 2 others involved in the decision do not (and I knew this was the case from day 1 of this).  One outranks my boss and the other does not and I suspect I ultimately will not get the promotion. This has been ongoing since mid November.  In the meantime they have started passing along those aforementioned duties and applying pressure to me.   - I almost think they are testing me and I tend to push back as I don’t like games and I think my six year performance speaks for itself.  The work being delegated is from someone I dislike dealing with (the whole company does and he only has 2 direct reports as people refuse to report to him).  As far as I can see, I have three options

1.Walk away.  I have paid off home and 20X expenses saved.  It may be harder for me to find another job at around same pay without having one, but it would feel amazing to tell them "take this job and shove it" :-)
2.Push back on the work they are giving me - telling them this work is for the vacant promoted position and unless I am given it I am not taking on the work.  This is stuff the person i don't like should be doing but he delegates every task
3.Withdraw my name from this vacant position. Upside would be I don't have to deal with the a**ole I don’t like, but I’d likely be blackballed within the company
4.  Be a good little corporate robot and take on the extra work without the promotion.  If i'm not the succesful candidate it likely will be 3 months before position is filled
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:43:01 AM by MMMdude »

phred

• Pencil Stache
Re: Work situation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »
Can you find out why the two people who don't want you for the job don't want you?  It may be something trivial that wouldn't bother you to overcome

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »
5.  Explain to your boss that you understand the political difficulties and you appreciate that they are championing you.  Tell them you'll be glad to make them look good by proving you can do an excellent job on the additional duties.   And, of course, if the promotion doesn't take place, you'll be glad to professionally and helpfully hand off those additional duties to whomever they do promote into the position. 

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »
Can you find out why the two people who don't want you for the job don't want you?  It may be something trivial that wouldn't bother you to overcome

Generally company does not promote within.  Time and again they have brought in people from the outside to fill these types of positions.  In some cases these people last less than a year, and then the internal candidate is promoted.  This is an 'executive' type position and perception is huge with these guys.  I suspect I don't have the look they want and quite frankly I'm not the most diplomatic guy.  If i don't like something I let them know.  Maybe they want the stereotypical YES MAN. 

There was also one thing at work I probably should have been more proactive on - eventually i fired the lady in charge of that task as she was terrible....who hired her?  The guy I don't like.  I think he realized she was an idiot early on as he transferred her to me six weeks after hiring her ( and i had no input in her hire)

Eggman111

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
That does sound aggravating. I know what you mean about companies wanting to hire people from outside. I don't fully understand it, but it's generally political. It sounds like you don't want to get messed up in that. As nice as it would be to make some extra cash, it doesn't sound like you need it. Congratulations on being in a position where you have "f-you money", as jlcollinsnh likes to say.

Now, that being said, it doesn't sound like you need to say "f-you" quite yet. If there's still a chance for diplomacy, I say try that first. It sounds like just a year or two more of your current job will have you set for FI. If I understand you correctly, you save 5X per year and you're already at 20X, so you're just about ready to take advantage of the 4% rule. Any more on top of that is gravy.

I don't think you should turn down the promotion outright, since that wouldn't likely gain you anything. They could still try to pile on work for you. I also don't think you should just do the work without saying anything. You don't absolutely need this job to survive, as discussed above.

I think your best bet is to do something more like option 2, as diplomatically as possible. You are in the right, so reasonable people will understand. The worst they can do is fire you (sounds bad for most people, but keep in mind the above), and it would be without cause. From the sounds of your position, I would think you would be entitled to a good severance if they went that route. I think it's unlikely, though. Since you're being considered for the promotion, I think you're a valuable member of your company. They probably want to keep you around.

Overall, there's only so much work one person can do. If you aren't given enough people to help with the task, it's ultimately not your problem. You don't own the company, right? Enjoy going to work, knowing you've almost achieved FI!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 03:41:49 PM »
I have a situation at work that is really starting to aggrevate me/affect my health.  I have been at company six years and started with 2 direct reports at that time.  That is now 9 as more and more duties have been transferred from another dep’t.  They are planning to transfer more to me, BUT they will be adding 2 people to my dep’t and then divvying up the responsibilities in that dep’t between the three of us.  One of these positions would be a promotion over mine.  I don’t really care about the promotion as my income is 6X basic expenses so more $ won’t mean anything to me although hey, not going to lie everyone likes abit extra $ and wouldn’t turn it down. 

In the above you state it aggrevates you and is affecting your health. Secondly you are making good money and have save 20x's earnings and you dont really need the extra money but not going to turn it down.

Sounds to me you have had it pretty good in the past and unless you can get an answer from them what is going on, if you can have it the way it was when you were happy its a no brainer.  The question though is will you keep your job or will they squeeze you out.  I think you need to confront them professionally and get to the answer one way or another. And see if they bring up the options do you want the new position or the way it was. I wouldnt be afraid to question them needing to get answer now since from what you say they keep adding work to you for same pay. Admittedly though you say you dont take any crap but this is the one time I think you need to be a bit careful unless you dont care of the consequences.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!