Author Topic: Work situation. What would you do?  (Read 2971 times)

ChelseaBlair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Work situation. What would you do?
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »
Hi!
More of a lurker on this board, but I'm curious to get a Mustachian's point of view on my current work predicament.

Background: I am a freelancer in events and in general, really like my job. I work with different clients, usually on a contract basis. For the past 2 years, I have been working for the same company/client on a permanent program. I have been offered a few freelance jobs during this time, but none that were tempting enough to make me consider leaving my job, as I'm really happy there. I was just offered a job where I will earn more money at the end of the year. Here is the breakdown:

Current job:
+:
-Amazing client/represent an authentic brand
-Amazing team at my company
-Amazing events (that people pay thousands of dollars to go to), types of events I have wanted to be involved with
-great salary
-great flexibility (I am able to take off 2 months a year during our slow season)
-about 50% travel, but I don't get much free time in my travel

-:
-Work is non-stop during our busy season
-I work at least 2 weekends/month with long hours
-Busy season can be very stressful
-Now have to book our travel through a travel agent so I may not get all perks (ebates cash back was about 1k/yr, also many free nights from hotels.com, unclear on if hotels will be affected, airline miles should be unaffected)
-Once I leave, I probably won't have the option to come back
-go into work about 1x/wk, which costs $30-40/time I go in (this is not negotiable..train tickets during peak hours and subway is required)

Prospective job:
+:
-Will save a minimum of 10k/high side of 20k more than I do at current job (lower weekly salary, but a cash per diem for food and housing is provided and I've done many programs that I know what savings is. This savings is after tax)
-About 8 weeks less of work

-very light work schedule
-very easy events, stress free
-time to pursue other activities
-100% travel on west coast
-agency is excellent
-Woman I will be working with and traveling 100% with seems awesome

-:
-very redundant/boring program
-Client is one that I don't believe in as much personally
-Job will be seen as a huge downgrade by title/responsibilities and a job that the general public will look down on/comment on.

Also important notes are that in 5-10 years, I see myself moving into a different area, being FI, or doing exactly what I'm doing now on a more selective basis. 'Moving up' in a company is not high on my priority list, and I make about the same (or more) in a freelance position than I would if I were full time receiving promotions. I really enjoy the position I'm in now

I have to buy my own health insurance without assistance from both jobs although my current job may allow me to buy into their 401k plan with 25% match. Prospective job definitely would not. I am responsible with money and will put away the full 17.5k into a solo 401k if I take prospective job. Also, I believe I have about the same job security at both jobs. I know on paper it looks clear to take the perspective job, but I'm feeling very attached to my current job. Can anyone shake some sense into me?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:37:05 PM by ChelseaBlair »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: Work situation. What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 01:50:19 PM »
As I was reading, I thought Why would you ever even think of leaving your current job?  You love it and you love the people as evidenced by all the "amazings"!  No way would I leave a job that I thought was that great.

The main thing I see for the prospective client is the potential ability to save more money.  But if you're doing it by saving on a perq, then that's something they could change at any time!  They could easily change their accounting methods so that you report actual expenses, rather than a per diem and then you're stuck making less money and without all of the things you love about your current job.

Just my thoughts!  good luck (and I'm jealous that you love your job)

ChelseaBlair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
Thank you! The perspective job has been going on for 10+ years the same way and I would be signing a contract for it to be salary and per diem, so it definitely would not change this year and not likely in the future since that is how they keep their good talent.
I think maybe I'm glamorizing my current job because I'm leaning towards leaving and getting a little bit upset since I know it's good. I barely had any personal time last year. I get very stressed during our busy season and handle work that is a lot more challenging than the perspective job would have. I have been interested in learning Spanish, reading some books on real estate and wanting to explore national parks, all of which I'd be able to do on the perspective job.

plog

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »

I think the decision comes down to these 3 things.  Specifically, are those pros or cons?  That may seem like a stupid question, but I know a bunch of people who went from hectic places to calm settings and went stir crazy within 6 months.  Everyone thinks of those things as pros, but a lot of people actually enjoy situations like you are currently in, you might be one of them.  I'd give serious thought if low-stress is something you actually want, or if it just the grass being greener.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »
What's your best alternative option to save those 10-20k? Moving? Fewer restaurant meals? Asking for a raise? AirBNB?

If no options are appealing, and IF I was confident in the facts presented regarding more free time, I'd probably roll the dice on the higher salary/lower hours.

Consider negotiating the following points with both employers:

a) salary vs contract employee. If you can go self-employed, you might be able to put away more in a SEP IRA than a 401k.

b) per diem. Could you negotiate to keep this, arrange your own travel, etc?

c) salary.

d) benefits

My hesitation is related to the old bait and switch. Sometimes jobs take more hours than ppl expected when they joined, or than the employer suggested. Also, people who seem nice on day one have a way of becoming people you can't stand. Set 25-35k as your "fee" for taking these chances, negotiate the best you can with both sides, and see if the other employer is better enough to move for.

ChelseaBlair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 04:11:05 PM »

I think the decision comes down to these 3 things.  Specifically, are those pros or cons?  That may seem like a stupid question, but I know a bunch of people who went from hectic places to calm settings and went stir crazy within 6 months.  Everyone thinks of those things as pros, but a lot of people actually enjoy situations like you are currently in, you might be one of them.  I'd give serious thought if low-stress is something you actually want, or if it just the grass being greener.

Very interesting point and I totally agree. I want to say they are pros, but the girl I will be working/traveling with on this job (she is a freelancer as well and will be my 'equal'. My friends brother connected us, so she isn't a total stranger) basically told me 'it's very boring, very easy, employers treat us great'. She's been there for 8 years and gets at least a small raise every year. I think I will find this job boring and I am coming to terms with that, but it is also 100% travel for 8 months. I don't know how much longer I will be wanting to do this, as I'm 29 and I've done many 100% travel contracts and it's not always easy. I think it's a pro in the sense that it will give me flexibility to explore other things/have free hours during the day, and explore parts of the country that I've been to but haven't had time to explore due to the expectations of other jobs and travel is a really big part of my life. But I know I will feel unfulfilled by the perspective job.
In my work environment now, I get stressed and do a lot of things outside of my normal responsibilities from other contract jobs. My events are long hours and fast paced, but I love the events and generally thrive in that environment. The problem is that I get very bored/have trouble focusing in an office and my current job is half in office and half at events. If we had enough events for my job to be all at events, I would stay regardless of the pay/work load.

ChelseaBlair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »
What's your best alternative option to save those 10-20k? Moving? Fewer restaurant meals? Asking for a raise? AirBNB?

If no options are appealing, and IF I was confident in the facts presented regarding more free time, I'd probably roll the dice on the higher salary/lower hours.

Consider negotiating the following points with both employers:

a) salary vs contract employee. If you can go self-employed, you might be able to put away more in a SEP IRA than a 401k.

b) per diem. Could you negotiate to keep this, arrange your own travel, etc?

c) salary.

d) benefits

My hesitation is related to the old bait and switch. Sometimes jobs take more hours than ppl expected when they joined, or than the employer suggested. Also, people who seem nice on day one have a way of becoming people you can't stand. Set 25-35k as your "fee" for taking these chances, negotiate the best you can with both sides, and see if the other employer is better enough to move for.

Do you mean best alternative to save that $ if I stayed at current job? I already have very low expenses. Since I live in a very high CoL area and travel a lot for work, I am currently with my parents. I barely eat out and I just got a pretty big raise at my last contract renewal, so that is off the table unless I tell them I'm leaving and they try to keep me.

Very good points-thank you for making me contemplate.

My current job is paid as employee with taxes taken out and I could't negotiate that. The perspective job is paid as an IC, which is what I've had in the past and what I prefer. I'm going to have to look into the SEP IRA, as I don't know about it.
The perspective job definitely has a nice per diem that I will be able to save a lot of money on. At my current job, all expenses (food and hotel) are put on a corporate card and I would not be able to get per diem.
I spoke with the woman who is currently on the program and would be my co-worker. She has been on the program for 8 years and was incredibly honest with me. I don't think more hours will be required than stated, unless we hit traffic going to the events or have a hotel that is far from the event site. We talked about a lot of things because we will literally be sharing a hotel room and it seems like we'll get along perfectly and have so many of the same interests. I'm sure we'll want to kill each other at certain points because we'll be together 24 hours/day, but you also form such a special friendship on this type of program.

It should also be noted that if I take the perspective job, I will likely work 6 wks total at my current job before going there, so that adds to the money.

Thank you for pointing these things out and getting me thinking

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »
My friends brother connected us, so she isn't a total stranger) basically told me 'it's very boring, very easy, employers treat us great'. She's been there for 8 years and gets at least a small raise every year. I think I will find this job boring
 My events are long hours and fast paced, but I love the events and generally thrive in that environment. The problem is that I get very bored/have trouble focusing in an office

This is what those clips say to me:  Your current job is half boring, and your prospective job will be 100% boring.  Sounds like you should stay put.

Elsewhere you said you get up to 2 months off in the slow season.  Can you pursue Spanish and other such interests during those months?

ChelseaBlair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »
My friends brother connected us, so she isn't a total stranger) basically told me 'it's very boring, very easy, employers treat us great'. She's been there for 8 years and gets at least a small raise every year. I think I will find this job boring
 My events are long hours and fast paced, but I love the events and generally thrive in that environment. The problem is that I get very bored/have trouble focusing in an office

This is what those clips say to me:  Your current job is half boring, and your prospective job will be 100% boring.  Sounds like you should stay put.

Elsewhere you said you get up to 2 months off in the slow season.  Can you pursue Spanish and other such interests during those months?

I could, but I usually travel. This year I traveled from the day I could take off. The day I arrive home, I started working again (a little jet lagged..). Perspective job will give me about 4 months off instead of 2 with the pay differences.