Author Topic: WORK BIKERS: How do you keep your shit straight?  (Read 8789 times)

KiloRomeo

• Stubble
WORK BIKERS: How do you keep your shit straight?
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »
I bike to work an average of 4 times a week (1.2 miles each way) . The office is a professional work environment and I generally wear shirts/slacks that I transport via backpack. The problem is my shirts get so damn wrinkly (even the wrinkle free ones) from the backpack ride. Any suggestions to keep them tidy? Spray? New bag?

Guesl982374

• Bristles
Re: WORK BIKERS: How do you keep your shit straight?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »
I typically bike twice a week based on meeting times, presentations (not biking if I'm meeting with the CEO), etc. To keep shirts from being wrinkled I do the following:

-Only buy wrinkle resistant/wrinkle free shirts
-I fold and then lightly roll my dress shirt with an undershirt behind it and leave it at the top of my bag with as much room as possible.
-I keep deo, comb, etc in my office so I minimize what I need to bring from home.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:09:45 AM by Liberty Stache »

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:56:36 AM »
I bike to work an average of 4 times a week (1.2 miles each way) . The office is a professional work environment and I generally wear shirts/slacks that I transport via backpack. The problem is my shirts get so damn wrinkly (even the wrinkle free ones) from the backpack ride. Any suggestions to keep them tidy? Spray? New bag?

This might be strange, but could you keep extra shirts at work, and just grab one and change when you get there? Other than that, I IDK.

Matt_D

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 10:18:24 AM »
Shirts wrinkle when there's pressure on them from other things and/or they can't lay flat. Maybe not all your stuff fits in your backpack well?

I use a rack bag w/ fold-down side panniers, and my shirts do OK. But I make sure not to stuff that side.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 10:26:24 AM »
I have an iron at work. I use a table for quick touchups.

miamiblue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:34:04 AM »
My workplace is slightly casual, so I usually wear knit tops and skirts that don't seem to wrinkle too badly.

A former colleague would bring his outfit for the week (yeah, he wore the same thing all week) and hang it up when he changed to leave. If you drive one day a week, you could bring extra clothes and leave them at the office for the days you'll be cycling in.

I found this website had some helpful tips for bike commuting: http://www.commutebybike.com/cats/commuting-101/

TrMama

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »
If it's only 1.2 miles, I'd be tempted to just walk. Of course that only works if it's not blazing hot out.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »
I'm in the same sitch: short commute - 2.5 miles - to a professional office environment.

Here are three things that have worked for me:

1. I bike in my work clothes and use a rubber band to protect my pantleg near the bike chain. This  solution is only for those with the right constitution to bike just a few miles without getting sweaty and only works if the temperature outside is moderately cool.

2. I drop a bunch of shirts and slacks off at the office once a week. I'm doing this now since it's much too hot for option 1. This is easiest to pull off if you have a locker room, but I've also changed in the handicapped stall. It's also easier the more personal storage space you have at work. I have a nice closet intended for my coat that works well to store a few shirts and pants.

3. Finally, as other posters have mentioned, after carefully folding and packing my stuff in my backpack, I don't find them to be terribly disgustingly disheveled when I get to work. Maybe pack more carefully? Or maybe you have a higher standard of neat and pressed business casual than I do. I am trying to be more polished at the office, but I could definitely do better.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 11:38:35 AM »
If it's only 1.2 miles, I'd be tempted to just walk. Of course that only works if it's not blazing hot out.
1.2 miles is walking distance even if it is blazing hot. It's 18 minutes or less.  And you could carry your shirt on a hanger.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »
1.2 miles is walking distance even if it is blazing hot. It's 18 minutes or less.  And you could carry your shirt on a hanger.

Or just ride in your work clothes.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
I think you need to get better at packing... most shirts should be able to survive 15 minutes in a backpack without getting seriously wrinkly. But also, it's only 1.2 miles! Why can't you just ride in street clothes? I feel like we're missing something here. Are your clothes damp when they go into the backpack? Do you sweat through the backpack?

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
Is there a reason you don't ride in your work clothes?

I ride in mine, even if I'm wearing something really smart. If it's hot that day I may change into cooler more comfortable clothes for the ride home, but I've found that even up to 80 or 85 degrees, the ride is comfortable in work clothes.

Also, get a rack and bag so you don't have to carry things on your back - that makes a difference for sweat/comfort.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
Also, get a rack and bag so you don't have to carry things on your back - that makes a difference for sweat/comfort.

Not only does it reduce your sweat, it will reduce your wrinkles as well.  Your shirts/pants don't get wrinkled if they're not pressed up against your back.  My dress shirts are always fine even after being in my pack for almost an hour. 

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
My ride to work is 1.1 miles. A flat 1.1 miles. So I just wear what I'm wearing that day and ride fairly slow. I get less sweaty than I would walking the same distance.

Most of my clothes are laid back knit dresses and top/skirt combos, but I see guys riding the Divvy bikes (city of Chicago rental bikes) in their suits and ties all the time.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 08:12:57 PM »
Do you roll your shirts? Or fold them?

Try rolling them for a while, if you have to roll them around your dress slacks to make it even less noticeable (slacks tend to hide wrinkles better).

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »
9 miles one way for me. Business casual so I'm able to carry my clothes and shower/change when I get to work--no wrinkle issues since I can roll my pants and my shirts are mostly polos. I have to wear shirt/tie/jacket once per week or so for client meetings. On a rainy day when I drive in, I take 3-4 shirts and leave them at work. By the time I need another shirt, I've had to drive in again, replenishing the stock. If it were full-on professional dress daily, I would bite the bullet and drive one day, ride four each week.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 05:04:07 AM »
I just ride to work in my work clothes most of the time. I've got a fairly flat commute of about 4.5 miles, and if I ride at 80% I'm fine.

In summer I'm more likely to change at work, but even that's no big deal.

As far as creases and that go, I do iron the shirts (although lately I haven't as I've always had a jumper on top anyway), and that's enough.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 05:38:12 AM »
9 miles for me and I've never had a problem with wrinkles.  I try and get mostly wrinkle-resistant fabrics these days, but still have some items that are prone to wrinkles.  For those, I just make sure to fold them nicely and keep them on top of my loosely packed pannier bag.  After nearly an hour in the bag by the time I'm putting them on, they're never more wrinkled than they would be after having sat at my desk in them for an hour.  Well within our business casual atmosphere at work, especially when you get in an hour before everyone else and they'd never see me crisp even if I drove in!  Unlike a backpack, things tend to stay in the layers I pack them in with the panniers. 

Also, not sure what gender OP is, but try storing a few cardigans in your office that match most of your outfits.  (I keep a grey, a black, and a brown hanging in my office most of the time.)  Not only do they keep me warmer, but they are never wrinkled, so can generally hide any wrinkles on the off chance there's a bad fold crease that day. 

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »
Just spray all your work clothes down with diluted wood glue (Elmers or Titebond), then iron everything to a hard-starched rigidity.  Wash them very infrequently (like never)

Think I'm kidding?

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-64673.html

And they let these people carry guns.  Pretty tight with the ammunition though.

KiloRomeo

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
Those suggesting to walk or ride in clothes - I live in humid humid FL....it's not going to happen. Bringing some clothes in at the beginning of the week might be a good idea as is the rack.  I kind of wanted a rack anyway to protect from some water slingage when it's wet out. A rack+a proper size bag would likely be the best bet....not too much room the way I load everything in there.

Anyone use those wrinkle release sprays?

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 06:11:37 AM »
I bring a big batch of clean shirts in every few weeks via my automobile, and then ride the bicycle in the rest.  Occasionally I'll bring a clean shirt in on the bike, but it is softly folded and as soon as I get into the office I take it out and hang it up (less time folded the better).

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
Wear your work clothes and ride whatever speed does not make you sweat.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 10:08:30 AM »
Drive to work one day each week and bring your 4 outfits for the other 4 days along with you. Then just change when you get there (like you are anyway). You can fold them neatly in a drawer so people don't need to know they are there.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »
When I worked, I never had a problem putting pants, then shirt at the very top of the pannier.

Before I had the nice panniers, I would lay the clothes flat inside our old Burley trailer, packed inside a plastic tote for weatherproofing. That's honestly overkill, though, unless you have to wear immaculate looking suits.

I've never understood the concern about wrinkles on a bike, though. Have you seen how wrinkled (even wrinkle free) shirts get just sitting down in a car for 10 minutes?

Matt_D

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 11:53:31 AM »
I've never understood the concern about wrinkles on a bike, though. Have you seen how wrinkled (even wrinkle free) shirts get just sitting down in a car for 10 minutes?

This.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 03:43:35 PM »
For bad wrinkles you can just dampen the bad fold or spray with water, and use a hair dryer.  Hair dryers are easy to pack small or keep at office.  I'll never needed this when biking, but for work travel it worked well in a pinch.   Just a hair dryer works in a pinch, too.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »
Those suggesting to walk or ride in clothes - I live in humid humid FL....it's not going to happen.

I live in Florida and ride in my work clothes around 1 mile. I cant imagine anyone would sweat through their clothes in the 10 minutes or less that ride should take.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!