Author Topic: Wood Stove Insert: Make/ Model Suggestions Please  (Read 5571 times)

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
Wood Stove Insert: Make/ Model Suggestions Please
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:44:23 AM »
I need to replace the wood stove insert (not a freestanding stove) in my downstairs fireplace.  The choices in the marketplace are overwhelming and these suckers can be REALLY expensive.

I like the Vermont Castings Montpelier stove, but it's pricy.  To what degree am I paying for looks, rather than performance?

Any tips on what's worth paying for?  Is this one of those items where paying more = value over time?

If you have bought a wood stove insert recently, what did you buy and how much did you pay?

Thanks!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Re: Wood Stove Insert: Make/ Model Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »
I had a Fireplace Xtrordinaire insert installed in my prior house and thought it was very good.  Clean burning, gave off a lot of heat and I liked the flush look.  I now live in a condo with a gas fireplace and I miss the real wood fire!

ETA: I don't think they make the same exact model any more.  It was arched and had two doors.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »
We installed a Jotul last year after getting recommendations from a gentleman who works in the business installing them. They aren't the least expensive, but I really like ours after the first season. Came up to $2800 installed, and we got a tax credit. Our point to break even is a looooooong way off given my wife's very cold nature (I'd heat the house with wood stove alone on most days if it was just me!), but I am a big fan of the purchase all the same. Our home is toasty warm in the winter.

These are the folks we purchased from locally.

http://www.acmestoveco.com/ 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:05:18 AM »
Keep an eye of craigslist.  A lot of folks buy a house with an insert, don't like/want it and pull them out and sell them for $100-$500.  You just have to be patient to get the one you want.  I have a Vermont Castings Resolute that I paid $315 for along with a small pile of stainless pipe.  I sold the pipe for $100, leaving me with a nice stove for $215, net.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:09:04 AM »
Yes, I've been haunting CL.   So far, no luck.  This is the FP that my roommate/ tenants uses.  She is a wonderful tenant and I want to keep her for another year (12-mo lease renewal coming up in January).   I need to do the wood stove replacement in time for her to enjoy it and renew that lease!

So.... keep the recommendations coming, please.   Thanks Hybrid for the local shop reference.  $2800.... installed.   How much was the stove, itself?  Do you remember?

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
Yes, I've been haunting CL.   So far, no luck.  This is the FP that my roommate/ tenants uses.  She is a wonderful tenant and I want to keep her for another year (12-mo lease renewal coming up in January).   I need to do the wood stove replacement in time for her to enjoy it and renew that lease!

So.... keep the recommendations coming, please.   Thanks Hybrid for the local shop reference.  $2800.... installed.   How much was the stove, itself?  Do you remember?

About $1800 for just the stove, $1000 for the installation (including materials). The chimney service that did the installation provided their own kit that was significantly less than what was being sold to us from the store. I think the kit was $700 from the store and perhaps half that from the installers. I need to get the DIY kit from home depot to clean the tube before the burning season starts again.

MountainBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
To complicate things further, we love our pellet stove. 

Our house came with it so I haven't researched brands, but this could be another option.  There's very little ash produced, lots of heat thrown off, and, around me, 40lb bags of pellets are ~$4.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
Last night my dad was pushing pellet stoves.   Hmmmm.....

Anyone else have/ love a pellet stove?

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »
I have a Quadra-Fire. Seems very efficient, but the blower is loud.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »
Is wood heating cheaper than natural gas?  I enjoy a wood fire, but I don't think it would be cost effective here

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!