Author Topic: Women, where do you get business casual pants?  (Read 8418 times)

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Women, where do you get business casual pants?
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:36:37 PM »
I need pants to wear to work. Our dress code only specifies no jeans or shorts. I want to minimize my spending, but I'm having a hard time finding pants that meet my reasonable criteria at any price.

I would like pants that are:

Available in women's size 14
Machine washable, preferably cotton with spandex
Full-length and not super skinny, so they look good with ankle boots. My ideal fit is slim in the thigh with a straight leg or slim boot cut.
Preferably available in petite sizes
Flattering to a figure with a small waist-to-hip ratio

In my opinion I'm asking for the most normal pants imaginable so I don't understand why, but they are surprisingly hard to find. So many pants I find are either super skinny and ankle length, or dry clean only. Any suggestions?

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Women, where do you get business casual pants?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 03:27:21 PM »
Express Editor pants come in 14S and are a good option. Sizes in store are limited so I'd order online.

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 03:47:34 PM »
Express Editor pants come in 14S and are a good option. Sizes in store are limited so I'd order online.

Those look great! Thanks!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 03:53:43 PM »
Try Chicos size 2 or 3.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 04:10:52 PM »
I get all my work clothes from goodwill. 

Spend 45 minutes quickly looking through racks, grab anything within 2 sizes on either side that you think might work.  Spend 20 minutes trying everything on.  If it doesn't look great at first sight, it's a no.  Sometimes I'll try on 12 things and only walk out with one.

And I'm a rebel who has regularly washed dry clean only pants with no issues.

I tend to ruin things like clothing (grease stains, falling and tearing, etc) so I can't follow the buy it for life philosophy.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »

Yes, yes, yes!  I wear petite (5' 3.5" height), and these have been my go-to work pants for years -- Studio Stretch Wide Waistband Flare Editor Pants.  IMO, Express's business pants are well-made and figure-flattering.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:34:00 PM by LeRainDrop »

flyfig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 05:57:56 PM »
Express editor pants are my go to as well. Keep an eye for in store sales. I've gotten them over 50% off.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
I've had success with Goodwill (you have to really dig through stuff though, can get frustrating), Burlington Coat Factory, Target, and Banana Republic for my one pair of $50 dress pants.  All the other ones were <$10.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 06:36:57 PM »
I've done well at Goodwill too.

I also recently ordered from Landsend, waiting (not very long) for a really good special. They have lots of different styles, and information about the fit, and will hem them to the length you need for free. I am washing the pants inside out and hanging them dry to make them last longer. Really happy with the purchase.

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 08:12:18 AM »
Talbot's.  I have had pants like that from them for years.  They wash great. Nice thick fabric and flattering cut. You can find them on sale frequently.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 06:57:21 PM »
Another +1 on Express pants. They change the cut and patterns seasonally. However, I have pairs that I have had for years and they have held up. Often on sale - at least by one get one 50% off, or better deals. Sizing is consistent so once you know your size you can shop online.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
I've had good luck with Target dress pants. Easy and flattering (I'm around a size 8-10).

Have not tried Express' pants, but they have sales ALL THE TIME. Wait for one and score the pants for cheap!

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
JC Penney usually has a really good selection and so does Kohl's. Buy them in the off season on clearance.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »
Express
Banana Republic, except I'm too cheep
Goodwill

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 11:07:51 AM »

LOVE this pant.  I recently found a black pair at Rugged Warehouse for $10.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »

+1 to Express.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »
Express pants look nice, but all of them seem to have a low rise. Are there any brands left that have normal rise? Not only do low-rise pants look unflattering on me, but they all seem to be enormous around the waist, even in small sizes. I guess that's because the waistband is really at the height of the hips. I have been looking hard for new pants, and everything that fits OK in the butt and thighs has literally three inches or more extra at the waist.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
GAP online.

I'm tall and never find the right length in stores or Goodwill.  I get their Perfect Trouser.  The rise is normal, not low.   Machine wash, pop em of to a pants hanger to dry and they are dry, ready to wear within hours. 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 06:02:38 PM »
Mine come from TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and/or Burlington Coat Factory. Burlington has great "businesswear" sales in the spring. You do have to hunt through the racks for the right style/fit.

Lynski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 06:13:54 PM »
Express pants look nice, but all of them seem to have a low rise. Are there any brands left that have normal rise?

The Editor style tends to be more of a mid-rise. I cannot wear the Columnist style because it's too low rise for me. I bought a pair of black high-rise Editor pants from Express over the summer and I LOVE them. I have, however, had an issue with the hems falling out of the bottom of my Express pants when I run them through the washing machine.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »
This isn't very constructive for anyone else but I had to post.

When I left uni my mum took me shopping for an affordable corporate wardrobe with the idea that I could work out what I liked and needed, and upgrade to quality pieces over time.

In eight years of full-time work it has all drifted away, except for one pair of black suit pants from an Australian teen store. They were probably $15 at the time. I've worn them 1-4 times per week. For eight years. They look good, don't need ironing and dry in no time. They are magic pants.

So, affordable doesn't always mean poor quality.

TaxChick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »
Christopher & Banks has some nice stuff for a reasonable price.  They also frequently have discounts.

InvestandChill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »
I don't have a recommendation, but I have a comic precisely on this topic! :)

mi-mundo-entre-libros.tumblr.com/post/108623190198
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:50:44 PM by InvestandChill »

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 12:04:46 AM »
I have had good luck with Worthington from JCP and Van Heusen. The VH was at a factory store. I didn't even know they had a women's line, but there were at least 10 styles of dress pants. Both of these brands have a normal rise and a reasonable wash requirement.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »
I don't have a recommendation, but I have a comic precisely on this topic! :)

mi-mundo-entre-libros.tumblr.com/post/108623190198

I missed the "bolsillos falsos" on the first pass and was so confused.

I used to be so upset about the fake pockets, but with how big phones are now, pockets don't help anyway IMO.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 09:25:38 AM »
I get most of my clothing from Lane Bryant. Most of their pants fit very well, have a normal rise and a bit of spandex for stretch, and they offer petite lengths. Many people don't consider it because it's a plus sized store, but their clothing starts at size 14, they're quite fashionable and long lasting (I have pants that are more than 5 years old, and I tend to be rough on pants), and they're always offering coupons and specials so I never pay full price.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 04:53:56 AM »
If I can't find what I want at Goodwill, Talbots is my go-to place.  Their pants look great, are washable, and wear like IRON. I have a pair I have had for nine years which still look great and I wear them weekly.  Talbots clothes aren't cheap, but when you calculate the per-wear cost they outperform others because of the durability.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 05:47:40 AM »
I am a huge fan of Express pants as well.

My latest "wow" moment was when a friend suggested maternity pants...seriously, try them. I'm 5'2" and probably a size 12 or 14 and I LOVE this pair of Gap maternity pants that I recently bought. These are not the third trimester type that would go up on your belly. These are actually a size 6, so there is more room up top, but slim in the legs. AND you can find a decent selection second hand. 

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 12:32:04 PM »
Express pants look nice, but all of them seem to have a low rise. Are there any brands left that have normal rise?

The Editor style tends to be more of a mid-rise. I cannot wear the Columnist style because it's too low rise for me. I bought a pair of black high-rise Editor pants from Express over the summer and I LOVE them. I have, however, had an issue with the hems falling out of the bottom of my Express pants when I run them through the washing machine.

I went to the mall today (gasp) and tried on some Express Editor pants. They fit really well! The rise is high enough while still looking modern. I bought 2 pairs (ordered from Web to get the Short length). Thanks to everyone who recommended them!

Setters-r-Better

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 05:08:16 AM »
The Limited - have several fits, mostly machine washable, they have 40% or 50% off very frequently. Not cotton, but nice looking, sometimes they have cotton blends. I think this store is related to Express. I should check out those editor pants everybody is raving about.
Also JCPenney.