Author Topic: Wireless router reccomendations please  (Read 2744 times)

Holyoak

• Bristles
Wireless router reccomendations please
« on: November 11, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
Although my Dlink DIR-813 AC-750 wireless modem is rated to easily handle the new 200 Mbps service I have, in reality it can't.  I have tried every setting for the router, switching frequencies, you name it, and still even a few feet away, w/o obstructions the best it will do is 104 Mbps for a bit, then usually the router goes back to a pretty steady 50-70 Mbps.  Direct connection of modem to computer gets a very consistent 220-230 Mbps service.  My Intel AC-3165 wireless adapter is rated to easily handle 200 Mbps, and like the router has the latest firmware/driver installed.  My gut says the DIR-813 router is the culprit here, so I'm looking for new wireless router suggestions.

So, any suggestions on a basic wireless router that will allow me to have reliable full speed wirelessly, keeping the cost to say under $75, $50 ideally?  Appreciate your first hand experiences a lot.  Thank you.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Wireless router suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »
Are you looking for a modem+router or wifi router only?  Combined device will up the price.

I don't have recommendations, but PTF.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
My usual starting point for stuff like this is to check out the Wirecutter writeup on the given product. About 50% of the time, I agree with their priorities and their pick fits my price point. The rest of time, I have no idea what they're smoking and have to go do the research myself. Last time I was shopping for  a router, I got one of their picks. Has worked great!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »
Unless you need to share internet with other people, just run a cat6 Ethernet cable directly from your modem to your computer, no router required. It's faster, more reliable, more secure, and cheaper. And if you need to share, you can look into a basic switch that supports gigabit Ethernet.
Definitely this.  50-70mbps over wifi reliably is about the best I'd ever count on.  I'm on my laptop right now, and 15ft away from my router and pulled 46mbps in a speed test.  Wifi is worse in every way than just running cat6.

...however I just did a speed test with my phone and got 429mbps down and 214mbps up (wired desktop tests at 962mbps/249mbps).  My phone connects to the router using 5Ghz so maybe make sure you have that as an option and that it's enabled.  My laptop can't do 5Ghz though; you need that on the router side and the device side.

For reference, I have this guy, a pretty plain-Jane AC router: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZFG6QS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  My phone is 2016 era and my laptop is 2012 era.

EDIT: I just looked up your router and it looks like it can do 5Ghz so do look into that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:03:30 PM by ketchup »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »
If you decide to go the Cat6 route, I've been told by IT guys who do networks from A to Z that there's a bunch of "Cat 6" cable that's crap. Apparently there are various companies who decided to make lower grade cable and call it Cat 6.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 09:36:08 PM »
Have you considered doing a wireless survey and finding out what channel(s) has the least interference in your area? Replacing a perfectly good router with another one if the problem actually lies with broadcast interference is just throwing good money away and not solving anything. If you've got an Android phone, install WiFi Analyzer to help you get a better grasp on what's going on. Windows Phone/Desktop tool here, no real equivalent tool for iOS. This is a job that's easier to do on a smartphone, but still doable on a laptop. If either of those links/tools won't work for you... check here for alternatives.

Do the survey, switch network channels. The problem will likely clear up a bit unless you're just absolutely saturated with other WiFi networks in your area... and if you are, again, buying new equipment isn't going to fix the problem. Honestly, though, always go wired over wireless whenever possible given that possibility for interference if speed is that important. Lastly, even if you can't max out your internet connection from WiFi? It doesn't really matter. Outside of massive data downloads, you really aren't going to perceive much difference. Even HD streaming video uses less than 1/20th of the available speed with your current ridiculous overkill internet package.

If you find you must must buy a new router and it's not spectrum interference causing the problem, go with Ubiquiti UniFi gear. Keep the existing router, turn off the wireless, and plug in a UniFi AP, or swap out everything with an airCube ACB-AC. Enterprise grade equipment, simple setup, mid-range consumer-grade pricing.

Unless you need to share internet with other people, just run a cat6 Ethernet cable directly from your modem to your computer, no router required. It's faster, more reliable, more secure, and cheaper. And if you need to share, you can look into a basic switch that supports gigabit Ethernet.

Emphasis added.

More secure? Really? This isn't very good advice. Most routers also have firewall capabilities, and when properly configured, add a lot of protection. I'd rather have my computer behind a network firewall on a local network than swinging wide open on a public IP address hanging directly off the modem. Your suggestion is actually less secure than sticking it behind a router.

Good idea going wired whenever possible, but bad idea plugging any computer straight into a naked ethernet port coming off the back of a broadband modem.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:38:10 PM by I.P. Daley »