Author Topic: Wireless Mic and Headphone for Grandma  (Read 2208 times)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Wireless Mic and Headphone for Grandma
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
Hi Mustachians

My grandmother does not hear well and for some reason or other hearing aids don't work/aren't an option.  Since her hearing is so bad it's hard for her to really communicate with anyone.  We have had success with a microphone attached to some head phones with a cord, but the cord creates some issues.  She's damaged several setups due to the cord getting tangled in her wheelchair etc etc.  My father asked for christmas to figure out a wireless setup.  So wireless mic and wireless headphones.  I've found a few options that still require some cords and can be spendy, like this setup below.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMAW4-Wireless-Microphone-Black/dp/B00JWU6WWO/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1542149637&sr=8-19&keywords=bluetooth+lapel+microphone

I would like to buy a corded mic with a bluetooth transmitter and have my grandma wear a pair of bluetooth headphones.

Transmitter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IV1H1ME/ref=psdc_10110414011_t1_B07D1JJBJR

mic
https://www.amazon.com/JK-MIC-J-044-Omni-directional-Microphone/dp/B00KMILKGS/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1542150411&sr=1-9&keywords=omni+microphone+3.5mm

Would something like this work?  Anyone have experience with this?

Edit to add:  Cheaper the better, as she has a tendency to break electronics really easily.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:11:48 PM by Cromacster »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Wireless Mic and Headphone for Grandma
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »
I know, I know... you said "cheaper the better" in your request. Tough.

Cheap headphones aren't what you need in this situation. Wireless, bone conducting headphones with a directional microphone and decent battery life is. If there's any way left to still tickle the old lady's ear nerves with vibration, and direct amplification isn't cutting it, these are it. If they work well where nothing else has, I suspect she'll go out of her way to take care of them.

AfterShokz Trekz Titanium.

Otherwise, the titanium headband, IP55 rating, and two year warranty will hopefully help fill in any remaining durability gaps she may be prone to.

If she already carries a smartphone, depending on the OS: BioAid or Mobile Ears for iOS (there may be better if you pay) or Ear Agent for Android. The headphones are key... any trashed out cheap Android should fit the bill as the brains of the ad-hoc hearing aid setup for running an app that selectively boosts volume beyond EVERYTHING IS LOUDER INCLUDING BACKGROUND NOISE AND THAT WEIRD WHISTLING YOUR LEFT NOSTRIL DOES WHEN YOU TALK! (WHEEZE WHEEZE WHEEZE)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:26:09 AM by Daley »

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:15:21 AM »
Thanks Daley, I was hoping you'd chime in. 

The app is a good idea, then I could just pair it with any old bluetooth headset.  She has dementia and doesn't have a smartphone, but it would work great for when family were visiting her.

I've never seen the bone conducting headphones before, pretty interesting and that model you sent looks pretty durable.  Volume from over the ear headphones hasn't been an issue yet, so I will keep these in mind.

I think I will try the phone app to bluetooth to begin with and build from there.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:18:26 AM by Cromacster »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:16:52 PM »
I've never seen the bone conducting headphones before, pretty interesting and that model you sent looks pretty durable.  Volume from over the ear headphones hasn't been an issue yet, so I will keep these in mind.

Personally, I'd recommend switching to bone conduction before volume becomes an issue, because hearing loss is kind of a one-way progression and it'd be better to preserve what's left... but, your call.

I think I will try the phone app to bluetooth to begin with and build from there.

Sounds like a plan. I'll be interested to read how things work out.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »
Do you expect her set this up herself? Many states provide free amplified phones- but to my knowledge they are all wired. Google free amplified phone and your state and see what comes up. Some have captioning as well.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »
Do you expect her set this up herself? Many states provide free amplified phones- but to my knowledge they are all wired. Google free amplified phone and your state and see what comes up. Some have captioning as well.

No she won't be able to set it up herself.  She's not able to really operate a normal phone anymore.  This is not meant for calling her, just allowing her to hear when someone is with her.

I have a pair of bluetooth headphones and I will be visiting with her over thanksgiving, which will be my trial run before I make any purchases.