Author Topic: Windshield crack  (Read 7147 times)

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
Windshield crack
« on: August 19, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
I have a ~1 ft (and growing) crack in my windshield. A quote for the replacement from safelite is $290, and that seems to be the cheapest. I checked a few others and all the same or more.

Are there any other options or should I just bite the bullet?

Since cars are only inspected when sold here the only other option I can think of is to drive around with it and hope a cop doesn't see it, and the window doesn't fly in and decapitate me..

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
Re: Windshield crack
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »
$290 seems a little steep for a windshield unless it's an oddball car.
Still, it's a safety item. If you can't find a cheaper replacement, spend the money and have peace of mind.

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 02:13:53 PM »
$290 is cheap for a windshield here in Florida.  Last quote I saw for a Taurus was around $400.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »
I'd personally spend 20-30 minutes calling a few different auto glass shops to get a quote.  It's a commodity good and commodity service, so they should be able to give you an instant quote over the phone  (or call you back in a few minutes).  Or check out their online sites to see if they have an e-quote service where they can email you a quote.

If you spend 30 minutes and save only 10% of the cost by getting a more competitive price, you're still making $58 per hour tax-free.

usmarine1975

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
Just a note check and make sure your insurance doesn't cover this.  It's usually an extra expense but would hate to see you pay for it if you have the coverage.

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
If you have comprehensive insurance on your policy its free.  Check that first.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
Do all of the above, and then bite the bullet.  My experience is Safelite is the cheapest you'll get.  You want an intact windshield.  Stop following any trucks on the freeway.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 06:55:10 AM »
I checked a few more local "budget autoglass" type places and got online quotes down to $250 or even $202. But I'm not sure they're counting the heated wiper area thing. Safelite asked if I  have heated seats, so I think they are including this. No idea how much that would add. I need to call the places. 

I do have comprehensive insurance, but the deductible is $2,000 so no sense using that.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:30:47 AM »
Have you tried getting the crack fixed?  There is a guy here that drills a hole on each end of the crack and fills it in with resin.  This keeps the crack from spreading further.  It has worked every time.

Also,  Have you checked a junk yard, pick a part place?  You might get lucky!

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:39:58 AM »
Be careful.  I claimed for a broken windshield on my car insurance (in TX) and the renewal went up by waaay more than the value of my claim when added up for the next few years...

Just saying...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 07:53:24 AM »
Be careful.  I claimed for a broken windshield on my car insurance (in TX) and the renewal went up by waaay more than the value of my claim when added up for the next few years...

Just saying...
Did you have a low deductible? Insurance companies hate it when customers file small claims, which is why things get a lot cheaper if you have a higher deductible. If you're going to have comprehensive, at least consider asking them to increase it to something like $1000 and you should see some major savings. In other words, let the folks who live paycheck to paycheck and who balk at a $250 out of pocket expense subsidize your insurance.

usmarine1975

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »
I wasn't talking about Comp, I was talking about an extra glass coverage.  Sometimes agent's will add the coverage without you knowing it.  For some individuals it's a small price to pay.  I had 2 windshields replaced and with this coverage it did not increase my premium.  Also with Glass coverage usually a deductible is not involved.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »
Just to update:
Turns out Safelite is crap. They wanted something like $299 +tax +$25 for on-location services and a few other things.

I went with Glass America who did it for $290 all included. Great service. So check smaller local companies. Although I think GA is a chain, just not as big as safelite?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 08:53:30 AM »
You have got to be kidding me! Now it's about 6 months later and I have another 4 inch crack in my windshield!! This time coming from the bottom at the center, no impact damage. Called the place I used and they only repair bullseye impacts, not cracks. Saw some guys on youtube repairing with resin so will call around and see if I can find someone who will do it. Spending $600/year on two new windshields per year is ridiculous!!

No, I have not been tailgating semis/trailers, at least no more than can be expected. Maybe I need to make more of an effort to avoid them altogether? Which type of vehicles are most important to avoid staying behind on the highway? We did have a ton of salting on the roads this winter here on the east coast.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
Cracked windshield but no impact damage?

Check for rust or other damage around the window frame. There could be a stress point somewhere. That'll have to be fixed or you'll keep cracking windshields.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
I had two cracks in a four-month period last summer, but they were both from clearly visible (and audible) impacts. I had been doing a lot of driving on a highway where they were replacing a bridge over a deep rock cutout that the freeway went through.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »
Do you absolutely have to get it repaired?
I've had my Subaru for almost 8 years and when I bought it it had a big rock ding way up on the passenger side of the windshield. I've kept an eye on it and it hasn't caused a problem so I haven't fixed it yet.
My previous car (another Subaru) had a foot long crack lower down on the passenger side of the windshield. I kept an eye on it for the 8 years that I had the car and never ended up fixing it.
I lived in WY and now CO with these cars: Lands of Frequent Windshield Replacement.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »

Check for rust or other damage around the window frame. There could be a stress point somewhere. That'll have to be fixed or you'll keep cracking windshields.
+1 for this. Something else has to be wrong. I have had stones and what not hit my windshield and they don't crack the way you describe, they get small impact marks with some minor cracks surrounding that. Figure out the source of the cracking or you might as well learn to replace the windshield yourself and buy them in bulk...

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »

Thanks, I'll look at it more closely and see if I can spot anything, or have the glass people look at it.

eostache, unfortunately I think I have to replace it soon. It's 4-5 inches up from the bottom now. I made a pen mark at the end of the crack on friday and it's already  more than 1/4 inch longer!

I've called 3-4 glass shops and none of them will repair, only replace. I saw several youtube videos of professionals putting resin in cracked windshields, but apparently nobody here will do it. Not sure I'm up to the task of drilling and gluing my own windshield..

Gevans17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »
Safelite has never been the cheapest in my experience, but they have always done a very neat and professional job.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »
You can buy a used winshield.  A very long time ago, a shop I found in the yellow pages had the inventory.  Otherwise, you can buy one from a junk yard.  Nothing wrong with it, you can barely tell the difference.