Author Topic: Should I follow Future Advisor's Recommendations?  (Read 1753 times)

Making Cents

• Stubble
Should I follow Future Advisor's Recommendations?
« on: November 12, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
So when I logged into Mint today, it advertised free portfolio analysis on Future Advisor. Thought I'd see what the results were. Most of my accounts either met their best practices or couldn't be analyzed for other available options, but here's what it recommends for my newest account through TIAA CREF:

I'm leaning toward following this advice to reduce fees and diversify to reflect global economy. If anyone is familiar with these options and can comment, I appreciate your thoughts pro or con.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Should I follow Future Advisor's Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »
They have done a great deal of research into portfolio optimization and their advice is generally good: buy diversified assets in low-fee index funds. They use a few more asset classes than many people doing their own investing might choose to use; doing this may increase your performance slightly compared to a three-fund portfolio, but it also adds complexity to the management process. You'll have to decide for yourself whether the potential for slightly better performance is worth the hassle of messing around with about ten different asset classes (as they suggest).