Poll

If available to you, will you get a covid-19 vaccine in the next year?

Yes (liberal)
285 (66.4%)
Probably (liberal)
30 (7%)
No (liberal)
13 (3%)
Yes (conservative)
55 (12.8%)
Probably (conservative)
20 (4.7%)
No (conservative)
21 (4.9%)
I'm required to get a vaccine
2 (0.5%)
It's unsafe for me to get a vaccine
3 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 427

Author Topic: Will you get the vaccine?  (Read 30227 times)

InvincibleChutzpah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 60% leanFI
Re: Will you get the vaccine?
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2021, 08:04:37 AM »
The vaccine doesn't work/will give you cancer/is a government tracking chip (yes I really do work with people who think it's a tracking chip).

This is a particularly dumb conspiracy theory. If Bill Gates actually had the motivation, money, and technological power to put a nanotech tracking chip in the vaccine... he wouldn't have to put it in a vaccine. Everyone would have one in them already.

Not to mention, most of us have a darn good tracking chip in our pocket. If they really wanted to track us (they don't but if they did), the government doesn't need subdermal chips in its citizens.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2021, 08:44:19 AM »
I'm curious to see if partisanship affects our trust in the vaccines coming our way.

These results are in.

Have or will receive the vaccine:
 Dems:87%
 Reps: 56%
 National: 67%

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/npr-pbs-newshour-marist-poll-results-the-biden-administration-covid-19/#sthash.cVqaAuQy.dpbs

Does this mean the US will fail to achieve herd immunity this year? Maybe. It probably depends on how many vaccine skeptics get achieve some level of immunity through infection. I.e. half of the 33% of vaccine skeptics had COVID or will get COVID, and all the people who want a vaccine get one, then we'd be at about 83% with varying levels of immunity. Also, Republicans tend to have more kids, so when vaccines are available for those under 16, their parents may restrict access to a big chunk of the population.

Interesting factoid from the poll: 36% of us know someone who died from COVID. I figure vaccine hesitancy will decline as that number increases.

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2021, 08:56:28 AM »
I'm curious to see if partisanship affects our trust in the vaccines coming our way.

These results are in.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/npr-pbs-newshour-marist-poll-results-the-biden-administration-covid-19/#sthash.cVqaAuQy.dpbs

Does this mean the US will fail to achieve herd immunity this year? Maybe. It probably depends on how many vaccine skeptics get achieve some level of immunity through infection. I.e. half of the 33% of vaccine skeptics had COVID or will get COVID, and all the people who want a vaccine get one, then we'd be at about 83% with varying levels of immunity. Also, Republicans tend to have more kids, so when vaccines are available for those under 16, their parents may restrict access to a big chunk of the population.

Interesting factoid from the poll: 36% of us know someone who died from COVID. I figure vaccine hesitancy will decline as that number increases.

Call me a naive optimist, but I know several people who were hesitant in early March that either got the vaccine or plan to now that an additional month of data/peer-pressure/etc has gone by. I think we will reach herd immunity by the middle of summer.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2021, 08:58:19 AM »

These results are in.

The other thing that sucks about this is, the fewer people who are vaccinated, the more opportunity that mutations have to occur.

Mutations that ultimately might not be stopped by our vaccines.

So, time is of the essence.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2021, 11:22:59 AM »
Jab number 2 of Moderna today. I feel lighter already.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2021, 12:22:31 PM »
I'm officially allowed to be vaccinated tomorrow (Ontario is vaccinating people who live in high risk areas who are 40 and over) . . . so I've put my name in with three different pharmacies and the first one to tell me they've got a slot available will win the honor of jabbing my arm.  Astra-Zeneca only, which isn't my first choice.  Hopefully I'll get a spot in the next few weeks and the vaccine won't cause any fatal blood clots.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2021, 12:44:12 PM »
The vaccine doesn't work/will give you cancer/is a government tracking chip (yes I really do work with people who think it's a tracking chip).

This is a particularly dumb conspiracy theory. If Bill Gates actually had the motivation, money, and technological power to put a nanotech tracking chip in the vaccine... he wouldn't have to put it in a vaccine. Everyone would have one in them already.

Not to mention, most of us have a darn good tracking chip in our pocket. If they really wanted to track us (they don't but if they did), the government doesn't need subdermal chips in its citizens.

I actually heard the vaccine REMOVES a tracking chip. Tell your friends.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:29:21 PM by anni »

mrs sideways

• Stubble
« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2021, 01:15:08 PM »
I actually heard the vaccine REMOVES a tracking chip. Tell your friends.

Ha! Okay, here's the story we need to spread around: Trump personally developed the vaccine to remove Deep State tracking chips. Q said so.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2021, 01:20:45 PM »
I'm officially allowed to be vaccinated tomorrow (Ontario is vaccinating people who live in high risk areas who are 40 and over) . . . so I've put my name in with three different pharmacies and the first one to tell me they've got a slot available will win the honor of jabbing my arm.  Astra-Zeneca only, which isn't my first choice.  Hopefully I'll get a spot in the next few weeks and the vaccine won't cause any fatal blood clots.

Just don't stand in an outdoor line if there is lightning in the area.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2021, 12:27:51 PM »
Got my first jab of Pfizer yesterday. I’ve got a bit of a sore arm. I’m exhausted but I’m always exhausted and I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with the vaccine.

InvincibleChutzpah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 60% leanFI
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2021, 10:52:19 AM »
Got the second dose of Moderna on Tuesday. No reaction other than some soreness and minor swelling at the injection site. Honestly dose one was worse, my whole arm ached then.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2021, 12:50:27 PM »
I've managed to book an appointment for the Astra-Zeneca vaccine . . . so . . . here's hoping no fatal blood clots!  Whoooooo . . .

mrs sideways

• Stubble
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2021, 07:47:57 PM »
Got my first jab today. I would have happily volunteered for J&J, but Pfizer is what they had in stock.

The nurse's workstation with stocked with piles of disposable syringes, tons of wipes, buckets of supplies... and one miraculous little vial filled with a type of vaccine that didn't even exist a few years ago. mRNA tech was a brand-new solution in source of a problem when Covid hit, and it never ceases to amaze me that 1) we avoided a global pandemic for so long, and 2) when it came they had JUST developed this new type of vaccine that was more effective and mass-producible.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2021/01/26/moderna-covid-vaccine-science-fast/6555783002/

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2021, 10:49:28 PM »
I need to call around tomorrow and try to find one.
It finally opened for my age group and I was scheduled for the Johnson and Johnson shot the morning it got "paused".
I tried other locations that morning but no slots available.
I'm hoping the local stockpile has filled back up.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2021, 06:41:48 AM »
Local clinic finally said that they were opening vaccines.

Guess I can get Moderna.

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2021, 07:40:42 AM »
Local clinic finally said that they were opening vaccines.

Guess I can get Moderna.

Do it! I got the Moderna. Any of them would have been great, but the Moderna is my favorite.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2021, 08:42:39 AM »
I got my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine last week and felt fine, aside from some soreness like with a flu shot. Here in Philly we've opened up to anyone 16+ and the vaccines are rolling out quickly.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2021, 02:23:49 PM »
About half of Americans have received the vaccine.
Now we're down to the vaccine-hesitant conspiracy theorists. There is a surplus of vaccine and not enough people who want it.

https://apnews.com/article/nm-state-wire-health-coronavirus-government-and-politics-108f1fd0813f0d2ecec1589fd137625d

I say export their shots if they don't want to take them, and let evolution take its course.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »
I've managed to book an appointment for the Astra-Zeneca vaccine . . . so . . . here's hoping no fatal blood clots!  Whoooooo . . .

You, Justin and Sophie.   ;-)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2021, 08:35:02 PM »
About half of Americans have received the vaccine.
Now we're down to the vaccine-hesitant conspiracy theorists. There is a surplus of vaccine and not enough people who want it.

https://apnews.com/article/nm-state-wire-health-coronavirus-government-and-politics-108f1fd0813f0d2ecec1589fd137625d

I say export their shots if they don't want to take them, and let evolution take its course.

I'm in NM and they just opened things up to 16+ maybe a week ago. So it seems a bit premature to conclude there's huge swaths of the population that don't want to vaccine. So far about 60% of adults have in the state have already received it. My wife just got her second vaccine today and there was a long line at the site. She did note that it was almost entirely younger (20s to 40s) and no one was obese - presumably they would have been eligible earlier on for having a BMI of 25 or 30+.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2021, 06:22:31 AM »
I don’t think we’re down to the hesitant and anti-vaxers just yet.  The people we’ve been vaccinating so far are mostly the low-hanging fruit: those who are either highly motivated to get the vaccine or don’t face significant obstacles (they have flexible schedules, access to transportation, internet access to sign up for appointments, etc.) or both.  I think there are still plenty of people out there who are interested in the vaccine but, because of these obstacles we’re going to have to work harder to get it to them (make vaccines available at all hours, time off work to get vaccinated, neighborhood clinics, provide transportation, etc.).

Once we hit those people then we’ll really be down the the hesitant (who may be persuadable, but it will take work) and the hardcore anti-vaxers (lost cause).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2021, 06:28:57 AM »
I'm in NM and they just opened things up to 16+ maybe a week ago. So it seems a bit premature to conclude there's huge swaths of the population that don't want to vaccine. So far about 60% of adults have in the state have already received it. My wife just got her second vaccine today and there was a long line at the site. She did note that it was almost entirely younger (20s to 40s) and no one was obese - presumably they would have been eligible earlier on for having a BMI of 25 or 30+.

Same here, too. I only recently (last week) got a notification from my clinic that they opened vaccines up.

Guess I'm a vaccine denier since I don't have it yet :(

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2021, 06:33:24 AM »
I don’t think we’re down to the hesitant and anti-vaxers just yet.  The people we’ve been vaccinating so far are mostly the low-hanging fruit: those who are either highly motivated to get the vaccine or don’t face significant obstacles (they have flexible schedules, access to transportation, internet access to sign up for appointments, etc.) or both.  I think there are still plenty of people out there who are interested in the vaccine but, because of these obstacles we’re going to have to work harder to get it to them (make vaccines available at all hours, time off work to get vaccinated, neighborhood clinics, provide transportation, etc.).

Once we hit those people then we’ll really be down the the hesitant (who may be persuadable, but it will take work) and the hardcore anti-vaxers (lost cause).

I agree. That tracks with whom I’m seeing in my life who is already vaxed vs. not yet vaxed.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »
It is really great that we've reached the point that the vaccine is available to everyone, and so many people have been vaccinated.  I heard yesterday that the US is up to vaccinating 3 million people per day. 

mrs sideways

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2021, 08:59:06 AM »
It is really great that we've reached the point that the vaccine is available to everyone, and so many people have been vaccinated.  I heard yesterday that the US is up to vaccinating 3 million people per day.

The Washington Post has some great trackers and they've put them all outside their paywalls:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/

We've hit 4 million on some days and we're averaging around 3 million. Not bad but I guess that's the perks of manufacturing them. (Sorry rest of the world.)

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2021, 10:33:30 PM »
I am not anti vaccine, have gotten and my children have gotten all the normal childhood vaccines.  However, we do not get the flu shot nor will we get this one.  I feel they are unnecessary for us.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2021, 06:01:14 AM »
I am not anti vaccine, have gotten and my children have gotten all the normal childhood vaccines.  However, we do not get the flu shot nor will we get this one.  I feel they are unnecessary for us.

So, you feel it is unnecessary for you and your family to help your country achieve herd immunity?

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2021, 06:16:59 AM »
Got my J&J a few weeks ago (before it was temporarily pulled). Starting 12 hours after the vaccine, I had some pretty severe flu symptoms for another 12 hours (fever, chills). After that I was just tired for about a day.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2021, 06:25:44 AM »

So, you feel it is unnecessary for you and your family to help your country achieve herd immunity?

Yeah, this is one of the (many) things I learned from my wife.  I never used to get flu shots, because as a healthy young adult, I wasn't scared of the flu.  She's taken a bunch of public health classes, though, and years ago introduced me to the concept of herd immunity and being a vector.  I've been getting flu shots ever since, and I'll certainly get a COVID vaccine.  Here in Nova Scotia, though, I haven't gotten an appointment yet.

I have to say, having moved here from Florida last July, it has been amazing to be in a place where public health decisions are actually made by public health experts.  We're in a lockdown (started about a week ago), with ~150 cases a day and a 1% positive rate.  Hillsborough county (where I moved from, roughly the same population (1.4 million) as Nova Scotia (1 million)) has ~400 cases a day and a 10% positive rate and is living as though COVID is in the rearview.  Nova Scotia has had 69 COVID deaths, including 53 in one long term care facility early in the pandemic.  Hillsborough County has had 1713.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2021, 07:52:36 AM »

dreaming is not alone in not quite grasping the concept.
The consequences of opting out of the jab could be deadly for all of us because it gives the virus time and opportunity to develop more variants.
If a variant pops up and thank goodness it hasn't yet that remains "immune" to our current vaccines - our goose will be cooked.

No 'effective' vaccine means natural selection and lots more deaths. Maybe dreaming doesn't mind dying this year...
I'd prefer herd immunity and getting back to 'normal'. 

Mr. R. has several co-workers who are choosing not to get vaccinated which means we are both still at risk of re-infection every damn day!

I agree that we are not down to the vaccine opponents just yet, but demand is down enough to where they are closing down several vaccination sites in my immediate area. Everyone in our circle incl family has received Pfizer, down to the 16 yr olds who are allowed to get shots in Florida.
Now everyone is just waiting for shot approval for the teens and kids.

...and to those who believe the implanted chips myth - really, people? Who of us is that damned important that the US govt would care what we do?
Get a grip!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2021, 01:53:47 PM »
Finally got my Pfizer vaccine yesterday.  I had an evening of feeling tired and vaguely fluish.  That resolved overnight and today my arm is a bit sore, but that’s it.

In my opinion, people who won’t get the vaccine for no good reason, as in “they don’t want to,” are being arrogant.  No one’s inconvenience takes precedence over others’ very lives.  I just don’t understand that mentality.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2021, 02:22:55 PM »
I don't think they're arrogant. I think they have placed trust in the wrong information sources - like YouTube, Twitter, Fox, Reddit, & Facebook. There is a certain gullibility involved in letting oneself get sucked into an information bubble and then cutting off competing sources of information so that one can feel more certain and more like an in-group member. This is a human tendency though, one that we 21st century inhabitants have to learn our way out of. The internet will spread at least as much chaos as the printing press did in the 15th century. 

There will always be people who join cults, in real life or online, but we can take comfort in the observation that rarely does everyone in a society join a cult when there are competing sources of information. The most gullible, or the most vulnerable, will always fall into the traps of manipulators and profiteers. What's really problematic is how they can end up killing other people.

If democratic republics survive the 21st century, I suspect critical thinking will be a mandatory subject taught in primary school. The history of Covid-19 and its variants will be a chapter in the curriculum.

youngwildandfree

• Stubble
« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2021, 03:05:13 PM »
I don't think they're arrogant. I think they have placed trust in the wrong information sources - like YouTube, Twitter, Fox, Reddit, & Facebook. There is a certain gullibility involved in letting oneself get sucked into an information bubble and then cutting off competing sources of information so that one can feel more certain and more like an in-group member. This is a human tendency though, one that we 21st century inhabitants have to learn our way out of. The internet will spread at least as much chaos as the printing press did in the 15th century. 

There will always be people who join cults, in real life or online, but we can take comfort in the observation that rarely does everyone in a society join a cult when there are competing sources of information. The most gullible, or the most vulnerable, will always fall into the traps of manipulators and profiteers. What's really problematic is how they can end up killing other people.

If democratic republics survive the 21st century, I suspect critical thinking will be a mandatory subject taught in primary school. The history of Covid-19 and its variants will be a chapter in the curriculum.

I agree with this. I think we can make the situation worse by being aggressive and angry with those who are choosing to wait and/or not be vaccinated. Even though it's frustrating as someone who understands herd immunity and the consequences of not reaching it. I have seen more people respond to explanation of how vaccines and herd immunity works, especially if you give people time and space to think through the new information.

mrs sideways

• Stubble
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2021, 03:53:05 PM »

This is how we have to sell it. You get vaccinated so you don't harbor the virus (allowing it to mutate) or spread it to others.

I didn't get vaccinated for ME. I got vaccinated for everyone else.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2021, 04:33:03 PM »

Does the US government have the right to force vaccinations?  Has it forced vaccinations for other public diseases in the past?  If so, what conditions or requirements would deem it necessary?  I'm not a history buff, but I'm curious about how we got rid of Polio and other contagious diseases that required mass vaccinations.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2021, 04:54:43 PM »
I’m Canadian, so not intimately familiar with American law, but I would think that trying to make vaccines mandatory would result in WW III.  Even Canada won’t do it, however, school attendance is dependent on having certain vaccines in some provinces.  If a parent is dead set against them, they have to home school.

Polio was a very feared disease because it attacked children as well as adults, caused visible lifelong disability and there was no real treatment for it other than iron lungs.  If those things were true of Covid, there would be a stampede for vaccination.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2021, 04:57:28 PM »
People didn’t take the science for granted. We’re so used to the utopia of relatively little pestilence that our fear of the “unknown” and the weird obsession our current society has with being special and right be damned overcomes actual, proven ways to improve our existence.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2021, 05:59:57 PM »
however, school attendance is dependent on having certain vaccines in some provinces

Although vaccines are legally required for school attendance in theory, I know of several parents who are allowed to send their unvaccinated children to public schools in Ontario.  You just claim 'conscience or religious belief' to be exempt and then have to sit through a lecture about how important vaccination is.  It's very bullshit.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2021, 05:16:23 AM »
however, school attendance is dependent on having certain vaccines in some provinces

Although vaccines are legally required for school attendance in theory, I know of several parents who are allowed to send their unvaccinated children to public schools in Ontario.  You just claim 'conscience or religious belief' to be exempt and then have to sit through a lecture about how important vaccination is.  It's very bullshit.

Yes, people have been abusing the religious exemption.  We had some measles cases here in CT recently so they removed the religious exemption last month.  Now it's medical exemptions only.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2021, 06:40:42 AM »

Same in Florida (not sure yet about Nova Scotia, but I suspect it's the same here, too).

I've heard rumblings about a "vaccine passport".  Would one be able to get a religious exemption for that as well?  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  Businesses can certainly require vaccination, although I'm not sure how it's enforced.  For example, a meditation community I belong to in Florida is having a retreat in a month or so but everyone has to be full vaccinated.  I think it's effectively the honor-system, but that works in a community like that where everyone knows each other (I suspect).  I don't know how you could realistically do it as a restaurant (for example).

I could drive a long way to get AstraZeneca, but I'm going to wait until stuff opens up closer to us, and I kind of want to wait for Pfizer / Moderna, but maybe that's dumb...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2021, 08:01:36 AM »

Yeah, this is one of the (many) things I learned from my wife.  I never used to get flu shots, because as a healthy young adult, I wasn't scared of the flu.  She's taken a bunch of public health classes, though, and years ago introduced me to the concept of herd immunity and being a vector.  I've been getting flu shots ever since, and I'll certainly get a COVID vaccine.  Here in Nova Scotia, though, I haven't gotten an appointment yet.

I have to say, having moved here from Florida last July, it has been amazing to be in a place where public health decisions are actually made by public health experts.  We're in a lockdown (started about a week ago), with ~150 cases a day and a 1% positive rate.  Hillsborough county (where I moved from, roughly the same population (1.4 million) as Nova Scotia (1 million)) has ~400 cases a day and a 10% positive rate and is living as though COVID is in the rearview.  Nova Scotia has had 69 COVID deaths, including 53 in one long term care facility early in the pandemic.  Hillsborough County has had 1713.

You are so lucky to have moved to Nova Scotia.  The Ontario government has not paid nearly as much attention to the public health advisors.  Same for a few other provinces.   :-(

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #241 on: May 06, 2021, 11:01:22 AM »

You are so lucky to have moved to Nova Scotia.  The Ontario government has not paid nearly as much attention to the public health advisors.  Same for a few other provinces.   :-(

We feel the same way!  We started this process (moving to Nova Scotia as permanent residents) in 2017, so COVID had nothing to do with it.  Seeing how it has all unfolded, though, has certainly made us feel comfortable with our decision.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: May 07, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »
I did end up getting the J and J vax last week, no problems at all post shot. Went right back to work that afternoon.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #243 on: May 07, 2021, 10:44:21 AM »
People act as if the only possible negative outcome of Covid is death. There are many other negative outcomes other than death that we collectively should work to minimize. Hospitalization, long Covid, even just being really sick for several weeks. We’ve done a poor job communicating these other outcomes and the benefits of vaccination in preventing them.

For myself and my family, we’re unlikely to have any serious outcomes other than potentially being pretty sick for a couple of weeks. I know several young, healthy people who were knocked on their asses by Covid and were out of commission awhile. Combine that very common not-so-great outcome with how very safe the vaccines are and it’s a no brainer to me to get the vaccine just to avoid getting super sick, even if I’m not worried about hospitalization or death.

And same goes for my 11 and 13 year olds. They’ll definitely be getting vaccinated as soon as it is available for their ages.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: May 07, 2021, 10:54:37 AM »
People act as if the only possible negative outcome of Covid is death. There are many other negative outcomes other than death that we collectively should work to minimize. Hospitalization, long Covid, even just being really sick for several weeks. We’ve done a poor job communicating these other outcomes and the benefits of vaccination in preventing them.

For myself and my family, we’re unlikely to have any serious outcomes other than potentially being pretty sick for a couple of weeks. I know several young, healthy people who were knocked on their asses by Covid and were out of commission awhile. Combine that very common not-so-great outcome with how very safe the vaccines are and it’s a no brainer to me to get the vaccine just to avoid getting super sick, even if I’m not worried about hospitalization or death.

And same goes for my 11 and 13 year olds. They’ll definitely be getting vaccinated as soon as it is available for their ages.

Exactly.

Even the most benign side effect, losing your sense of smell, shouldn't be underestimated.

Try losing your inability to enjoy food for just a few weeks, and you'll see that it's devastating to your overall quality of life. I would take a new vaccine just to avoid that fate.

Then looking at the long list of ongoing neurological symptoms that so many people have suffered? Again, I have a lot of those neurological symptoms, and I've taken some drugs with terrifying *known* risks to try and manage them.

I'm not afraid of dying of covid because I'm not afraid of dying period, but I am definitely seriously wary of the reports of weird, long term, possibly irreversible neurological damage.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #245 on: May 07, 2021, 12:39:05 PM »
I am a week past my second shot of the pfizer vaccine. The first shot I got sick, real sick and knew that I never wanted to deal with covid without a vaccine. The second shot I had a sore arm. But the best side effect I have is the response my body had was to clear all of the inflammation that was in my body, I no longer need my glasses. My near sidedness is caused by inflammation and I can control it somewhat by diet. But my diet has been pretty darn good. It is do damn nice to be able to do things without my glasses. It is a nice bonus side effect that I assume is from the vaccine.   

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #246 on: May 07, 2021, 03:39:03 PM »
Losing one’s sense of taste might not even be too bad.  There’s one person in my province who has said that everything now tastes like sulphur and has lost weight because of it.  I’m sure he would rather taste nothing at all.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2021, 07:03:44 AM »

Exactly.

Even the most benign side effect, losing your sense of smell, shouldn't be underestimated.

Try losing your inability to enjoy food for just a few weeks, and you'll see that it's devastating to your overall quality of life. I would take a new vaccine just to avoid that fate.

Then looking at the long list of ongoing neurological symptoms that so many people have suffered? Again, I have a lot of those neurological symptoms, and I've taken some drugs with terrifying *known* risks to try and manage them.

I'm not afraid of dying of covid because I'm not afraid of dying period, but I am definitely seriously wary of the reports of weird, long term, possibly irreversible neurological damage.

Exactly. My husband’s coworker—in his 30s, no underlying health conditions—had COVID in March and was out sick for 2 weeks. He’s only just starting to get his sense of taste back. My mom’s boss, at age 65, survived it but was out sick for all of December and part of January and nearly died of the related pneumonia. He lost a dangerous amount of body weight and is still having lung problems.

In contrast, I had my second shot of the Moderna vax on Thursday morning. That day, I had no adverse effects other than a sore shoulder. I woke up on Friday with a headache and low-grade fever, which were knocked back effectively by a single Motrin tablet. The fever later spiked to 101.2 F but was again knocked down with Motrin. No other adverse effects. I feel fine today (Saturday). Two weeks from now, I’ll be considered fully vaccinated. I will take that over actual COVID (and the risk of inadvertently transmitting it to someone less likely to fare well) any day.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 11:12:46 AM by OtherJen »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: May 08, 2021, 09:50:26 AM »
In my opinion, people who won’t get the vaccine for no good reason, as in “they don’t want to,” are being arrogant.  No one’s inconvenience takes precedence over others’ very lives.  I just don’t understand that mentality.

Realistically this happens continuously in this world both on a personal decision basis as well as governmental policy level.

Covid vaccines are more cost/time effective on this front but the reality is, many/most of us could save lives by choosing to donate money/time/resources and choose not to do so.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #249 on: May 08, 2021, 05:18:43 PM »
Losing one’s sense of taste might not even be too bad.  There’s one person in my province who has said that everything now tastes like sulphur and has lost weight because of it.  I’m sure he would rather taste nothing at all.

A friend of a friend had Covid and lost her sense of smell and taste.  She has burned food repeatedly and almost set the kitchen on fire twice, and can't tell when food is going "off".  These senses are important.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!