Poll

If available to you, will you get a covid-19 vaccine in the next year?

Yes (liberal)
285 (66.4%)
Probably (liberal)
30 (7%)
No (liberal)
13 (3%)
Yes (conservative)
55 (12.8%)
Probably (conservative)
20 (4.7%)
No (conservative)
21 (4.9%)
I'm required to get a vaccine
2 (0.5%)
It's unsafe for me to get a vaccine
3 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 427

Author Topic: Will you get the vaccine?  (Read 30232 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Will you get the vaccine?
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2020, 12:47:15 PM »
I will take it as soon as it is available to me. I think we are damn lucky that mRNA was already in development when the pandemic broke out.
Yes. Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2020, 12:53:16 PM »
Already got it. :)

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2020, 04:58:26 AM »
I specifically wanted to see if politics affected choice which was why I don't have moderate options. I will edit to change to liberal and conservative.

Ah, that's fair. I guess most people swing at least a little bit one way or the other :)

This is my exact opinion, as well.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2020, 07:17:43 AM »
I hated having to pick liberal or conservative.....

I'm in the camp of probably, more because it'll be required for travel than a strong desire to get it.  My wife and I are under 40 with generally good health now.  I want as much data as possible on the vaccine compared to a virus now with more than a year of data showing almost no risk of fatality to my age group.   Additionally, once the older and high risk people get it, the moral hazard of me spreading the virus goes away.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2020, 07:25:42 AM »
I will say that I am looking forward to Biden taking over at the end of the month, because Trump has done a very poor job of spurring manufacturing and distribution of the vaccine in the United States. We were supposed to distribute 20 million doses by the end of December and we aren't anywhere close to that because Trump has been involved in his quixotic crusade to overturn the election results.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2020, 09:53:25 AM »

I'm in the camp of probably, more because it'll be required for travel than a strong desire to get it.  My wife and I are under 40 with generally good health now.  I want as much data as possible on the vaccine compared to a virus now with more than a year of data showing almost no risk of fatality to my age group.   Additionally, once the older and high risk people get it, the moral hazard of me spreading the virus goes away.
[/b]

The moral hazard diminishes; it does not go away, given that young and healthy people do die, they do suffer, and they do have permanent or long-term damage to their bodies. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2020, 01:06:53 PM »

[/b]

The moral hazard diminishes; it does not go away, given that young and healthy people do die, they do suffer, and they do have permanent or long-term damage to their bodies.

There will be some high risk people who cannot be vaccinated for various reasons.  But also, a 95% efficacy vaccine still fails one time in twenty.  You could still easily kill a high risk person with covid . . . even if they have been vaccinated.  We need to vaccinate as many people as possible to achieve herd immunity protections.  You can't rely only upon the efficacy of the vaccine.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2021, 09:30:13 AM »
Yes. I can’t wait.

I did have some theoretical concerns but once the data god the EUA was released most of those concerns were alleviated. No untoward autoimmune responses (Covid itself can definitely trigger autoimmune disorders). Minimal ingredients. There is a small risk of allergic reaction so if you have a history of anaphylaxis you should definitely wait. People with multiple drug allergies should definitely wait as this might be a hidden reaction to polyethylene glycol, a common ingredient, which is also present in small amounts in the vaccine. Otherwise the vaccine is very clean (no adjuvants or preservatives) and looks to be very effective (Moderna and Pfizer; Astra Zeneca has lower effectiveness but still adequate).

I work in healthcare and have seen first hand what this virus can do. What most people don’t realize is that even mild to moderate outpatient cases have a 10-20% chance if causing long term consequences. So far in my practice I’ve seen outpatient Covid trigger: hearing loss, diabetes, new onset asthma, severe Long Covid symptoms with incapacitating fatigue and cognitive issues for 10 months, orchitis (inflammation of the testicles which can lead to sterility )  etc. AND these were not severe cases, never seen in the ER.

My niece is an ECMO nurse treating ventilated Covid patients and she has seen 19 year olds die of Covid.

Take it seriously. Get the vaccine when it’s your turn, not just to protect yourself but to protect your neighbors and help us get back to normal life.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2021, 05:59:21 AM »
Update.  Got the J&J, side effects were awful.  Day after was really bad, recovered in about a week.  Probably similar to COVID at my age group, but without the tail risk

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2021, 07:42:31 AM »
I have one friend who got really sick from J&J, but most of the other people I know were fine.

I just had Moderna#1. My arm felt like somebody punched me really hard. Fortunately that only lasted 2 days. I'm a little concerned about shot #2...

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2021, 08:10:00 AM »
@Omy for sure felt like I had been frogged a bunch of times after my moderna. Second was a bit worse and lasted longer than the first one, but nothing some OTC painkillers couldn’t manage.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2021, 10:12:57 AM »
I have one friend who got really sick from J&J, but most of the other people I know were fine.

I just had Moderna#1. My arm felt like somebody punched me really hard. Fortunately that only lasted 2 days. I'm a little concerned about shot #2...

My wife and I both got hit bad.  Maybe it was the batch?

12 hours afterwards for her, 15 hours for me.  I was shaking uncontrollably at midnight shivering, took 30min to muster up the energy to get out of bed and head to the advil.  Was semi-functional but I could feel the shakes coming after I got five hours away from a dose.  The fatigue during the next day felt like I had the most exciting St. Patricks Day of my life....even though I only got a shot. 

The way I describe it was it felt like I ran a marathon, drank a ton, then got into a fight all in the same day...and I've not really done any of those three things!

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2021, 10:46:20 AM »
Oh goodness! I'm assuming my second shot will be like 2 days of the flu. DH and I are getting it at the same time so I'm hoping one of us can take care of the other. If not, I'll have food, snacks, gatorade and movies ready to go.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2021, 11:05:18 AM »
My partner and I recently got our second Pfizer shot.  I had absolutely zero side effects - not even a sore arm.  She was horribly sick for 2 days, and was wiped out after walking 3 miles 6 days after that second dose.  She's run a marathon and works out *hard* for 1-2 hours 6 days a week normally, so for her to still be struggling to do more than walk a week after the shot is tough to see.  We're still both happy we got the vaccine so early and would do it again even knowing about these side effects, but this has been a really rough week. 
I would suggest people in the U.S. who have side effects consider reporting them at the government website:

https://vaers.hhs.gov/

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »
Got the Pfizer - first shot - severe brain fog, chills and fever overnight and basically worthless the next day - extremely tired and arm really hurt. Slept 12 hours straight.
Second shot - no brain fog, but chills and low-grade fever overnight and felt sore muscles and tired the next day - overall much milder side effects.
Arm hurt more the second time though, still lasted no more than two days.

So relieved to be fully vaccinated. I expect there will be boosters and shots geared toward whatever variants crop up globally for at least two years.
I'm old but never did the annual flu shots but while a flu virus there was no way I was taken any chances with covid- it is simply on another deadly level.

I did not participate in the poll - this has nothing to do with politics - the virus is not political it will kill you no matter whether you are purple with green spots , a flaming liberal or a stock conservative deeply grounded in the church. Dead is dead - 500,000 plus.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2021, 12:57:05 PM »
^Moderna is already testing a modified vaccine for the B.1.351 variant. I expect a booster every year may be the new normal.

After being sent a link that initially led to nowhere, I tried again today and managed to schedule my first (only?) shot on April 7th -- not sure which flavor I will get. Unlike some other areas, there is still no sign of increasing cases here & there were no deaths in the county over the last 7 days.

SpreadsheetMan

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »
Just as an update (uk); had AZ three weeks ago (age 59). Slightly sore arm for 2 weeks, and a day of feeling faintly seedy.

Very pleased to finally have some extra ability to fight back if I get exposed now.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2021, 02:59:10 PM »
For those who have gotten “sick” from their vaccine:

Just a reminder that in clinical trials, a lot of the people who had reactions — including those who spiked a fever — were given the placebo.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2021, 03:12:10 PM »
My partner and I recently got our second Pfizer shot.  I had absolutely zero side effects - not even a sore arm.  She was horribly sick for 2 days, and was wiped out after walking 3 miles 6 days after that second dose.  She's run a marathon and works out *hard* for 1-2 hours 6 days a week normally, so for her to still be struggling to do more than walk a week after the shot is tough to see.  We're still both happy we got the vaccine so early and would do it again even knowing about these side effects, but this has been a really rough week. 
I would suggest people in the U.S. who have side effects consider reporting them at the government website:

https://vaers.hhs.gov/

When I got my shot there was a brochure with a QR code to sign up for a mobile version of that. I basically got a text message every day for about a week after each shot asking about various symptoms and rating the severity (mile, moderate, severe). With the first Moderna shot it was just a sore arm for about two days and a mild headache and fatigue the first day. The second shot it was a moderate to severe headache for about 36 hours along with a mild fever (about 100) and some chills the first night that made for a pretty terrible night sleeping (woke up too hot and too cold probably 6-7 times).

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2021, 03:42:10 PM »
I was in the AZ US trials, and although I had zero side effects, I really thought I was vaccinated (had a 2/3 chance).  Day before my school district did a mass vax event, I was unblinded and SURPRISE!  Placebo. 

Got my first dose of Pfizer the next day and had a really sore arm, that's it.  Get 2nd dose in 9 days. 

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2021, 03:56:03 PM »
I got the 2nd Moderna shot last Saturday. Holy Cats! I was sick/achy all day Sunday and semi-sick/achy Monday-Thursday. Thought I turned a corner and then BAM, my temp spiked to 102.4 for hours last night, even with Tylenol and two ice packs on my head and neck. I think I'm one of "those people". Would rather have shot side effects than Covid. No regrets.

I've read that those with Type A blood have a harder time with Covid. Could this also be the case with the shot? Dr. Google is no help figuring that out.

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2021, 08:06:02 PM »
I have had both Pfizer doses and only had a sore arm the day of the first dose.  The next day it was fine. 
Second dose I had a slight sore spot at the injection site.  Other than that, no symptoms.  I'm still waiting for the 14 days afterwards for the vaccine to be fully developed or whatever it does in 14 days.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2021, 08:24:24 PM »

Just a reminder that in clinical trials, a lot of the people who had reactions — including those who spiked a fever — were given the placebo.

Absolutely - the placebo effect is very real.  But I'm not going to suggest to my partner who was knocked on her back with just about every symptom I've heard of that it was all in her head.  The vomiting, fever, severe fatigue, joint pain, and shortness of breath were real whether they were due to the placebo effect or from some "real" (not sure what word to use there) reaction her body had to the vaccine.  The effect was the same - she was as sick as I've seen her in 25 years.  Fortunately she's mostly better now (8 days later) other than exercising at a lower level of intensity than normal. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2021, 08:32:13 PM »

Absolutely - the placebo effect is very real.  But I'm not going to suggest to my partner who was knocked on her back with just about every symptom I've heard of that it was all in her head.  The vomiting, fever, severe fatigue, joint pain, and shortness of breath were real whether they were due to the placebo effect or from some "real" (not sure what word to use there) reaction her body had to the vaccine.  The effect was the same - she was as sick as I've seen her in 25 years.  Fortunately she's mostly better now (8 days later) other than exercising at a lower level of intensity than normal.

Sure.

But when I get the vaccine, if I have a reaction, I will be cognizant of the fact that it may be the placebo effect.

I wouldn’t tell someone else that specifically, because feelings. But I have no problem reminding myself.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2021, 05:26:11 AM »

I appreciate the reminder.

I've never had a vaccine reaction in my life and went to sleep comfortably 12 hours after the shot.  15 hours later I wake up shaking uncontrollably.

It's all in my head, right?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2021, 08:21:04 AM »
There are certain symptoms that I could totally buy as possibly being psychosomatic . . . mild headache, fatigue, maybe shortness of breath or mild joint pain.  It's really hard for me to imagine someone throwing up without cause though.  :P

smileyface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2021, 08:37:42 AM »
My mother's partner had a side effect that I never heard of:  in addition to some fatigue and a little achiness, he actually lost his sense of taste for two days!  I googled it and apparently it's rare, but possible, as a side effect. 

As for me, I just had moderate fatigue the day after the 2nd shot, plus a slight cold feeling during the night that made me sleep poorly.  It was like the opposite of the placebo effect-- I was sitting around waiting for the chills/fever/body aches, and none of it ever occurred.  Just felt kind of run down and tired.  My DH had fatigue and a nagging headache for a day. Although placebo effect is certainly a real thing and I've experienced it myself, I assume these effects were just our bodies mounting an immune response to the vaccine.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2021, 08:53:54 AM »
Kris's comment prompted me to look at the data on side effects.  The Guardian has a great article on it, and there are graphs there that I'm not going to try to figure out how to reproduce that help visualize what I'm going to present textually below.  I'm not sure how to use the table feature so my formatting won't be very nice.  I'm using the Pfizer 2nd shot data because that's what we got.

Data come from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/18/covid-vaccine-side-effects-pfizer-moderna-johnson-is-it-safe

Side Effect------Placebo group------Vaccine group-----%increase
Pain (inj. site)------12%-------------------78%---------------550%
Fatigue--------------23%-------------------52%---------------126%
Headache-----------24%-------------------52%---------------117%
Muscle Pain---------8%--------------------37%---------------363%
Chills-----------------4%---------------------35%--------------775%
Joint Pain-----------5%---------------------22%---------------340%
Fever-----------------1%--------------------16%---------------1500%
Diarrhea-------------8%---------------------10%--------------25%
Swelling-------------0.2%-------------------6.3%-------------3050%
Skin Redness--------1%--------------------6%---------------500%
Vomiting-------------1%----------------------2%--------------100%

I typed this all in manually, so there might be errors - check the link above if you want to verify.  Keep in mind we're dealing with very small sample sizes, so we can't make very definitive assessments of the strength of the placebo effect here, but it is clear to me that the vaccine likely does cause side effects but that the placebo effect can be significant. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2021, 12:44:18 PM »
Signed up for my 1st dose!! Later in April, not sure which vaccine.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2021, 01:17:17 PM »
I got my 2nd dose Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Almost 21 hours later, I don't have any symptoms. My arm soreness is also very little. I guess I got a little lucky. OTOH, DW suffered chills and body aches starting at about 8hrs after the vaccine and lasting for about 15 hours or so.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2021, 01:47:55 PM »
Got my first Pfizer injection last Wednesday. My arm was a little sort for a day, then it was fine. I had no other reactions at all, and I'll be excited to go back for the second dose is a couple of weeks.

firemane

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »
Took my first pfizer shot. Not in a risk group but work for an essential manufacturing business that got our own bottles and refrigerator

Arm was sore, but the day before was bench press day, so I can’t really say if it was from the shot or from that.

I don’t really like to talk about politics anymore

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2021, 05:31:43 PM »
Got my second Pfizer dose today.  So far all is well!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2021, 05:59:38 PM »
NO
But I didn't check either of the survey.
I'm a political agnostic.

I'm waiting to see the results of the pending oral vaccine trials.
I don't like needles - and it sounds like there will be 'refresher' vaccines needed, about yearly.
I live very carefully and I'm low risk.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2021, 10:42:11 AM »
NO
But I didn't check either of the survey.
I'm a political agnostic.

I'm waiting to see the results of the pending oral vaccine trials.
I don't like needles - and it sounds like there will be 'refresher' vaccines needed, about yearly.
I live very carefully and I'm low risk.

Same here.   I'm pretty untrusting of anything the federal government is pushing very hard.
I guess if they force it on us to fly commercial at some point I may?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2021, 11:06:45 AM »
There are certain symptoms that I could totally buy as possibly being psychosomatic . . . mild headache, fatigue, maybe shortness of breath or mild joint pain.  It's really hard for me to imagine someone throwing up without cause though.  :P

Seriously? I can throw up if I think about feeling sick for a while.

The mind/body connection is strong.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »
Tuesday coming!

My neighbourhood is a high priority area for vaccination.  I have no idea which one I will get and I don't care.  A friend of my DD's is an EMT and doing vaccinations, she says they don't know what they are getting until it shows up.  Here it is most likely to be Moderna or Pfizer, the AZ is going to pharmacies (no pharmacies in my area have anything).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2021, 02:34:50 PM »

I've thrown up four times in my entire life.  They're actually all very distinct memories.  (And looking back it seems that my impulse control score can't be very good.)

- Once it happened after six year old GuitarStv first tried Kraft Dinner and then proceeded to eat it until it wouldn't go down any more
- Once after 20 year old GuitarStv discovered Guinness and proceeded to drink it until it wouldn't go down any more
- Once it happened after 26 year old GuitarStv decided that he was too hungry to wait any longer for that chicken to cook.
- Once it happened after 28 year old GuitarStv had a chicken sub from subway that tasted a little funny . . . but was too hungry to care at the time.

That's all of 'em.  (I supposed it's possible that I vomited as an infant as well . . . but everyone I know seems to have suppressed memories of that time - and for the better I say.)

I've broken both ankles, both wrists, my nose several times, 6/10 knuckles on my hands, my jaw, lost close to a square foot of skin in a cycling accident, had a couple concussions . . . and 'sick enough to vomit' is by far the most uncomfortable I've ever felt.  The idea of being able to just make yourself do it is so very strange to me.

Blue Skies

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2021, 06:45:00 AM »
Well, I get motion sickness.  Usually I can either stop what I am doing or mitigate the response other ways, but if I turned myself in circles a couple of times and then focused on that nauseous feeling in my stomach I would throw up.  I can definitely see that being as much of a mind game as any other placebo effect symptom.

I have my vaccine appt tomorrow!  I'm not expecting trouble with the first dose.  I'm hoping I do ok with the second one, but now I'm worried I'll talk myself into placebo effect symptoms anyway...

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2021, 06:59:53 AM »
Surprisingly, I have my first Pfizer dose scheduled for Saturday morning.

I registered with our local mass vax site thinking (since I'm a healthy 29yo with no conditions and employment isn't considered 'frontline') that it would be months before I'd get a chance, but they have a huge number of slots available for Pfizer. My thought is that they've already worked through the entire backlog of priority folks on their list, and now are just scheduling anyone to keep the train rolling.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2021, 07:30:06 AM »

I've thrown up four times in my entire life.  They're actually all very distinct memories.  (And looking back it seems that my impulse control score can't be very good.)

- Once it happened after six year old GuitarStv first tried Kraft Dinner and then proceeded to eat it until it wouldn't go down any more
- Once after 20 year old GuitarStv discovered Guinness and proceeded to drink it until it wouldn't go down any more
- Once it happened after 26 year old GuitarStv decided that he was too hungry to wait any longer for that chicken to cook.
- Once it happened after 28 year old GuitarStv had a chicken sub from subway that tasted a little funny . . . but was too hungry to care at the time.

That's all of 'em.  (I supposed it's possible that I vomited as an infant as well . . . but everyone I know seems to have suppressed memories of that time - and for the better I say.)

I've broken both ankles, both wrists, my nose several times, 6/10 knuckles on my hands, my jaw, lost close to a square foot of skin in a cycling accident, had a couple concussions . . . and 'sick enough to vomit' is by far the most uncomfortable I've ever felt.  The idea of being able to just make yourself do it is so very strange to me.

If you throw up on the first day of PE in 7th grade, they never make you run around the track in the heat again.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »
I had the first Pfizer dose back on 3/12. Overnight I had chills for about 4 hours. Woke up in the morning with fatigue/body aches that lasted most of the day. Also developed a slight fever very briefly. As for the injection site pain, it was what I say the equivalent is of being punched in the arm hard.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2021, 11:16:40 AM »

Maybe it's hard for you to imagine vomiting easily, but some of us have a hair trigger for it. Yes it's wildly unpleasant, and no, I never get used to it, but it still happens, and I'm probably no rarer with my sensitive stomach than you are with your apparent goat stomach.

Vomiting is absolutely a possible placebo effect, almost anything is because most symptoms are reactions of the body to something. The body can easily be triggered to react in a very real way to a neurological stimulus brought on by a psychological perspective. It's a mistake to assume that because something is caused by placebo that it will be more minor. In the medical world, we are taught to respect and fear the placebo. It's often more powerful than our treatments. For good or bad.

The brain tells the body what to do, so placebo is not some mild minor effect. It doesn't have less magnitude.
I've personally seen some wild physiological effects from needle phobia.

Have you never heard of Broken Heart Syndrome? Being upset can literally kill you.

ETA: apparently I'll be called for my vaccine appointment shortly.

I always have a horrible reaction to vaccines, which could be placebo, but overblown immune reactions are common to my illness as well. Regardless, I'm prepared for a rough ride for a few days.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 11:22:01 AM by Malcat »

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »
I didn't answer the poll but I did get both shots (Moderna) thru the VA. Second was about a week ago and no side effects except "Moderna Arm/Covid Arm" ( huge hand sized swollen achy red itchy hot welt like an infection at the injection site - Google the images) a couple of days after the second shot. Mostly gone now but was initially concerned I had been injected with a dirty needle and had a bad infection that was spreading fast. The Google Gods told me otherwise.. My political beliefs didn't factor into whether or not to get the vaccine 'cause ... Science!

Likewise, my political beliefs never factored into my decision either. As a toxicologist and pharmacologist working in viral testing, my decision to not get the vaccine is based entirely on my scientific understanding of both the known and unknown risks, balanced by my perceived benefits of vaccination. Risk/benefit analysis.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2021, 01:08:41 PM »

Likewise, my political beliefs never factored into my decision either. As a toxicologist and pharmacologist working in viral testing, my decision to not get the vaccine is based entirely on my scientific understanding of both the known and unknown risks, balanced by my perceived benefits of vaccination. Risk/benefit analysis.

@Laserjet3051 Does your decision apply to both the J&J vaccine as well as the mRNA ones?
This is not my field of expertise and I'm not an early adopter of anything. I'm looking for the J&J one since it's older tech with more of a history. Wondering if that's reasonable.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2021, 07:10:38 AM »

@Laserjet3051 Does your decision apply to both the J&J vaccine as well as the mRNA ones?
This is not my field of expertise and I'm not an early adopter of anything. I'm looking for the J&J one since it's older tech with more of a history. Wondering if that's reasonable.

Like the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, the J&J (Janssen) vaccine also utilizes a gene therapy modality of immunogen delivery. However, Moderna/Pfizer vaccines employ an mRNA mode of delivery whereas the J&J vaccine results in SARS-CoV-2 spike protein production via a replication-incompetent adenovirus. Neither the mRNA or adenoviral vector will integrate into the human genome. Both technologies have been been used in laboratory settings for quite a long time. Clinically, adenovirus has more of a history than mRNA-based strategies, but not much more. I too, am not an early adopter of anything, I'll wait a while to better understand the long term safety profile of these vaccines and then re-evaluate the risk/benefit profile at such time.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2021, 03:49:35 PM »

I appreciate the reminder.

I've never had a vaccine reaction in my life and went to sleep comfortably 12 hours after the shot.  15 hours later I wake up shaking uncontrollably.

It's all in my head, right?

It’s not a value judgment. People who get a placebo effect aren’t weak-minded.

In one trial, there were four people who spiked fevers of up to 104.

Two of them had been given the placebo.

You had a reaction. It may not have been due to any active ingredient in the shot. But the reaction was real.

Edit: I say this as a person who got my first dose of Pfizer two days ago. I felt fatigue, nausea, and muscle aches, yesterday and today. This may or may not have been due to any active ingredient in the shot.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 05:27:22 PM by Kris »

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2021, 04:00:45 PM »
Mr. SP got his first dose yesterday - Pfizer.  He's fine - a slight headache last night, and that was it.   Not even a sore arm.    I get mine on Thursday - I'm hoping to get off as easy as he did.  It will also likely be Pfizer - that is what our health unit has on hand.   

I didn't answer the poll. because politics do not factor into this for me. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2021, 04:25:45 PM »
I'm getting my first dose next week. I didn't answer the poll because even though I'm a liberal, public health shouldn't be subject to partisan politics. That's how we ended up with 560,000 dead of COVID in a year.

legalstache

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2021, 04:56:33 PM »
My wife and I have gotten both Moderna doses. We got the second one about 3 weeks ago. We had zero side effects except for a sore arm for a day or two.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!