Author Topic: Will the Entrepreneurs Please Stand Up?  (Read 3644 times)

Aloysius_Poutine

• Stubble
Will the Entrepreneurs Please Stand Up?
« on: October 23, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »
I am starting this thread to request stories of success from the entrepreneurs who frequent the board.
What is your business?
How did you get into it?
How well have you done?
What's your advice for achieving business success?

Many thanks!

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Will the Entrepreneurs Please Stand Up?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:43:07 PM »
What do you love doing?

Aloysius_Poutine

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »
Finding out how successful people became that way. I've trimmed expenses nearly as low as they can go. My focus now is increasing my income. I'd love to hear some what enterprising mustachians have done so.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Two startups under my belt. First flamed out. Second is modestly profitable.

I got into it by relentlessly researching what was needed, both online and in person. Find out what "aspirin" people need. (Forget "vitamins.") Network a lot.

JMHO, but I think the cloud is the place to do business today. No physical inventory and you can operate the company from anywhere you can get an internet connection.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »
What is an entrepreneur?

FWIW, I don't need someone to cut and paste a dictionary definition, I'm asking what the OP means when they say that, as it will likely affect who replies and how.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »
I am starting this thread to request stories of success from the entrepreneurs who frequent the board.

Started an appliance repair business in 1989. Lived on a boat and figured I could give it a go for about 2 months. My parts I put in the trunk of my old AMC Concord. A friend bought me a Toyota pick up for $7250 on his Visa and I paid it off in one year.

My very first job, I refurbished the washers and dryers in our marina and with that money, I put it in advertising. After that there was no looking back.

Still in business but I only work ~2 hours/week. Never made a lot of money in my business, but I got very lucky with real estate. A few deals set me up for life.

Now with MMM, index investing, no worries.

PS. I'll probably do this the rest of my life. It's fun for me.

Aloysius_Poutine

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
What is an entrepreneur?

FWIW, I don't need someone to cut and paste a dictionary definition, I'm asking what the OP means when they say that, as it will likely affect who replies and how.  :)

I'm thinking someone whose stash contributions are primarily funded by money generated from a business they started.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:16:18 PM »
What is an entrepreneur?

I'm thinking someone whose stash contributions are primarily funded by money generated from a business they started.

Excellent clarification.  Thank you.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.