Author Topic: Why I need a job change ... but where to go?  (Read 2986 times)

firewalker

• Bristles
Why I need a job change ... but where to go?
« on: May 20, 2015, 07:18:50 PM »
Age: 55. Job: Bank Teller. Pay: $13.50 per hour. Problems: Increasing pressure to sell (and I am not a sales person), the position of bank teller is gradually being phased out by more cost effective methods (internet etc), getting tired of protecting clients from their bank by showing them how to work around the purposed complexities introduced by fee-hungry banks. Do I have any specific trained skills? No. Any suggestions? If no job ideas, maybe some thoughts on how to deal with my current situation?

Philo Beddoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Why I need a job change ... but where to go?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:53:19 PM »
Have you thought of looking into the insurance industry? You could get a starting position for the same or higher pay. Not all insurance positions are sales...many options that are not. You have a ton of customer service experience....I would think that should be pretty valuable to someone.

Just a thought.

EricL

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:52:02 PM »
Maybe you should start a blog to educate people on bank scams, fees, etc.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:25:45 AM »
As a bank teller, you're probably knowledgeable about money matters, trustworthy, and capable of dealing with the public.  Those are your assets.  One possibility would be a seasonal side gig as a tax professional:

https://www.hrblock.com/corporate/career-opportunities/

This could possibly lead into a full-time career.  I don't know of any tax professionals that aren't in constant demand, and it can be a decent post-retirement part-time job too.

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 06:09:55 AM »
If you aren't totally against the idea of staying with your employer, and it's just the job that is taking its toll, could you move to another department in the bank that is back office or operations?  I couldn't be a teller for the life of me (I can't do sales), but I'm successfully working in the back office in mutual funds.  Most of my customers are internal - they themselves have to deal with the clients.  I just check on things and do calculations and such.  But plenty of people I know here have started in those teller positions and because they started in that position with the company, they had a better chance of getting this position versus someone applying from outside with no experience with the company.  You'd have a good chance.