Author Topic: Need interesting reading topics...  (Read 2124 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Need interesting reading topics...
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
I have around 11 months until my projected ER date.  My current job has some downtime where I can browse the internet, but have to remain in the office, be available in case anything pops up, and look  busy.  My top reading topic has always been personal finance (I recently took on taxes), but I am getting kinda burned out on the topic as I get closer to ER, as little is new (read the entire MMM blog about a year ago), and it just makes me nervous and excited at the same time, effectively slowing the calendar to a crawl.  Other favorite reading topics have included gardening, farming, hunting and fishing, however they have the same effect on the calendar/clock due to the number of post ER plans I have in this department.  I read home/auto repair info as needed but the subject matter is not something I can really sink into.  I don't read politics, sports or fiction, and I don't have enough uniterrupted time for entire books.  Blogs are good.  New skills are great if I can apply them to a need.  Any ideas?       

Rika Non

• Stubble
Re: Need interesting reading topics...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »
I would recommend Daniel Kahneman's book "Thinking Fast & Slow".  It deals more with how people think and react.  The general concepts are economics, but not in the sense of a typical finical book. 

I found it to be exceptionally well written. 

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Need interesting reading topics...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »
Plan for your retirement - work out what you really want to do, and how you plan to achieve it. Work out what is missing from a well rounded life, and how you will achieve that. If you want to do any side hussles, work out business plans. You should also be able to start to work on some of these.