Author Topic: Why Do Car Rental Companies Hate Their Customers?  (Read 12152 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Why Do Car Rental Companies Hate Their Customers?
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
Dealing with companies in this country is like being eaten slowly by ducks.

I rented from a Hertz subsidiary called Firefly.

They tried to scare me into buying insurance. Didn't work.

They said the "extra" driver would cost $20. PER DAY. So, we decided I would drive the entire week.

They said we could "pre-pay" for gas at a low rate. They did not mention they would charge us for a full tank even if we returned it mostly full. I knew that trick, though, and so I declined that too.

I guess they had to get me somehow. They charged me for a toll transponder even though I said I would not be using it and paid cash for Every. Single. Toll.

I know I paid cash because I waited in line and stopped and...paid cash!

Renting with a car company is stressful. I feel like I am up against an epic battle every time I rent a car.

Also, they seem to charge for the transponder every day even if you only go through one toll. So, you go through a toll on Monday. They charge you each day of your rental even though there is no "admin" on their side for the rest of the time you rented.

Could Dairy Queen charge me for ice cream every day of my vacation if I only ate ice cream on Wednesday? I think not.

Just because a transponder involved technology doesn't mean it's ethical or right to charge someone for a service/product they are not using.

Oh, but you sign a contract. I should read the entire thing. If I don't like it, I can go to another rental car company that WILL DO THE SAME THING.

So, I am going to the attorney general and filing a complaint.

My credit card company removed the charge. The first time I submitted a dispute, it was rejected. The second time, I called and was told the charge could not be disputed. Then, I tried online chat and asked how I would go about cancelling my account with the credit card company. I said it was unfortunate that they would not help me with a $25 charge given all that they could make off of my charges over the next 10 years.

Hm. Wonder of wonders! My credit card company was suddently and magically able to remove the charge! They said, "it wasn't fair" that I would have to pay.

Am I satisfied? Not entirely. While I feel the sweet taste of victory, the bottom line is I find rental car companies to be deceptive in their charges. If the credit card company removes the charge from me, that is great...but then the charge is spread out and charged to us all, right?

Meanwhile, Hertz and American Traffic Solutions rake in the cash.

IP Daley knows I am sick and tired of being stomped on by large companies. T-Shmuck, for instance.

I googled around and see class action lawsuits against Hertz and American Traffic Solutions. I'm glad someone is on the case.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Re: Why Do Car Rental Companies Hate Their Customers?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »
For years I'd travel somewhere, get off the plane in varying states of fatigue, and then have to stand in line at the rental car counter to squabble with a clerk.

Old habits die hard.  One day I realized that when I travel I no longer backpack & hitchhike, sleep in youth hostels, or fly through three connecting cities to save money.  So why was I trying to squeeze $20 out of a car rental?

I added a little more money to our travel budget to join the Hertz Gold club.  We land at the airport, pick up our bags, get to the rental car building, look for our name on the scoreboard, walk to the slot where the car is parked, load up, drive to the exit, and check out with the clerk.  Showing a driver's license ID and talking with the clerk takes about two minutes.  I may be spending $20 more, or even $50 more for the week... but it's well worth the cost of avoiding the rental counter beating.  We use a USAA rewards credit card and get the occasional free upgrade or special offer.

I've been bitten by the toll road problem too, but next time I travel to one of those towns I'll take a shuttle to the hotel and rent from a Hertz at the hotel instead of the airport. 

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »
I completely agree, they are awful.  Ditto Nords on joining the rewards/express programs, though.  I belong to Budget and Enterprise's and try to only ever rent from them.  The last time I went cheap through Orbitz.com I ended up with Advantage, which was HORRIBLE.  Never again.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:06:02 AM »
The ad that shows up as I read this thread is for a rental car. At least we don't have to worry about computers taking over the world anytime soon...

Lina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 07:44:48 AM »
I added a little more money to our travel budget to join the Hertz Gold club.  We land at the airport, pick up our bags, get to the rental car building, look for our name on the scoreboard, walk to the slot where the car is parked, load up, drive to the exit, and check out with the clerk.  Showing a driver's license ID and talking with the clerk takes about two minutes.  I may be spending $20 more, or even $50 more for the week... but it's well worth the cost of avoiding the rental counter beating.  We use a USAA rewards credit card and get the occasional free upgrade or special offer.

I've been bitten by the toll road problem too, but next time I travel to one of those towns I'll take a shuttle to the hotel and rent from a Hertz at the hotel instead of the airport.

Do you need to pay for joining the Hertz Gold club? In Sweden you get it free if you rent three times with Hertz during a year or you are at least a silver member at Scandinavian airlines. I love the fact that I can get my keys in a couple of minutes without any discussions. I prefer using Hertz because in Sweden they mostly have Volvos as rental cars and their price is fair. I am also getting better prices as a Gold member.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:32:21 AM »
Do you need to pay for joining the Hertz Gold club?
I am also getting better prices as a Gold member.
No, I think it's an affiliate deal with USAA.

I doubt that I'm getting the cheapest price, but I'm certainly getting a happier deal.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »
I've found all the rental car companies to be generally fair.  I pay the $25 per rental for primary insurance through AMEX and let them deal with the dickering about post rental damage.  I also take pictures from my phone and message them to my spouse for a time stamp.

Honestly, I think all the rental companies are the same and it really depends on the quality of the clerk/staff.  When I rent locally because a car is in the shop or I have a long roadtrip, the AVIS office next to my house has been very pleasant.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »
When we rent we usually aim for the cheapest price.  But my husband has a Hertz Gold deal through work.  He travels quite a bit.

It only works about 1/2 the time (the other half, his name is not on the board and he has to stand in line anyway), but it's awesome when it does work.

Mostly we don't fly and rent cars for vacation anymore.  Not until the baby is bigger. 

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »
Isn't Herz usually the most expensive rental agency? That's at least what I have found when shopping around for a rental car in recent years. Maybe different if you do it often, I've only needed it once this year (in Portugal)...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »
Since I've retired, I have had no need for a rental car. I signed up for Hertz Gold in my working career. It was free when I started years ago.  Recently, we honeymooned in Orlando. On a whim, I checked Hertz and was happily surprised to find my account still active. The process is exactly as Nords described it and it works every time (mm1970, I'd call Hertz directly to get it fixed permanently). Hertz offers better rates to AAA Members, so I start there. Even on the Hertz website, there are many, many deals and prices. I have found that the best way to get a deal is to book and keep looking. I ultimately found the best price on Southwest's website, and I wasn't even flying with them. I hopped onto Hertz's site and easily cancelled my original reservation.

When we got to Orlando, they did try to upsell us the tolls option at the exit booth. I declined and we used GPS to easily avoid the notorious Florida tolls the whole week. Also of note: I was single when I began with Hertz. I was concerned about the extra cost of adding my DH, as oldtoyota described. They told me it was no charge, since I am a Hertz Gold member. Sweet!

OTOH, I tend to agree with everything oldtoyota shared. The rental companies are out to get you. Partially because they can, and partially because people do terrible things to rental cars.

Check out the various affinity programs and join one. Also research the Amex program described by chasesfish. Consider also a platinum credit card which offers additional insurance coverage.

cosmie

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »
It's really helpful to sign up for a rental agency's rewards/loyalty program, such as Hertz Gold Plus, Enterprise Plus, or Avis Preferred. The base levels are now free to join and don't require minimum rental numbers to keep membership, but anecdotally you still get better service than if you aren't a member.

You can also associate any organization discounts with your loyalty profile, so you always get quoted at minimum that level of discount. I would strongly suggest becoming a USAA member and using their organization code, as their contract removes the silly additional driver fees, young driver fees, mileage restrictions, etc. And it can also stack with any ongoing promotions, like $10/day Enterprise weekend rentals. While 90% of USAA's services are restricted to military-related individuals, you can still become a Partial Member even if you don't meet those qualifications. You'll still only be eligible for 10% of their products, but you'll also be eligible for their rental discounts.

As for the toll transponder: You can opt out of it usually, such that they physically remove the transponder or give you a car without one.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 05:25:43 PM »
That is a good idea about taking a shuttle and renting at the hotel. I guess one would have research via Google Maps (or something else) to determine if toll roads would be a problem.

On the way to the Orlando airport, I noticed the highway has NO signs telling you where the gas stations are located. Thankfully, my friend had an iPhone so we used Siri to find a gas station to fill up so we'd not get overcharged for gasoline too.

In the past, I've had good experiences with Avis. We did the special thing where the car is ready and we do not have to stand in line. It's great.

Firefly said I could email my complaint and then the email bounced. Honestly.

Hertz said they can't do anything about Firefly even though they own it. So, I won't use Hertz again. It's not my problem if they own a company and can't get into the customer database. Take responsibility.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »
Firefly said I could email my complaint and then the email bounced. Honestly.

Hertz said they can't do anything about Firefly even though they own it. So, I won't use Hertz again. It's not my problem if they own a company and can't get into the customer database. Take responsibility.

That is just straight up unforgivably bad customer service.  Ridiculous.  I've never heard of Firefly, but I certainly won't use them in the future.

I generally use Enterprise because we have a corporate partnership with them and they extend really great rates to us even when we travel for pleasure.  I've probably rented with them 20-30 times and can't think of a single bad experience.  They have all been excellent, even down to the demeanor of the employees I have dealt with.  I didn't know they were corporately owned, as someone above pointed out, but perhaps that makes a difference.  Lots of opportunity for growth if you are a high performer!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »
Yowsa! The worst I've had to deal with was an unmoving line at the counter in a sleepy airport where there was no one to wait on anyone. When eventually someone came, it was to a competitor's rental car company, so I went with the competition.

Then there was the time I was in line at Hertz. The Hertz Gold Club members (like Nords, above) just breezed in, looked at the sign that instructed them to the cars, and breezed out. I thought, "It's time to upgrade." When I arrived at the counter, there was no way for me to sign up to the Gold Club. They had run out of the membership enrollment papers. I decided to sign up online, but never got around to it.

Choose your battles. Life is too short to be upset all the time.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
I'll add another vote for Enterprise, we rent pretty rarely but have gone with them almost exclusively for the last few years. (Not always the very cheapest option if searching via Kayak or other comparison site, but if it's within the ballpark of the lower ones we'll always go with them). Several different locations have had fantastic, fast, cheerful service, and we haven't had any surprises on our bill. They do offer the gas pre-pay and extra insurance but have never pushed it when we turn it down. We usually reserve ahead of time so the process is pretty fast even if we have to go up to the counter. And, last time we rented the car had a minor squeaking in the door when the car vibrated- I mentioned it to the guy when we returned it, not even as a complaint but just to let him know in case they wanted to look into it- and he wrote me up a free upgrade slip for our next rental.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
Choose your battles. Life is too short to be upset all the time.

Agreed. I am not sure if that was meant for me. I am not upset all the time though.

I do have a major problem with toll road transponders charging people when they have already paid for tolls. That's why I am pursuing this to get the companies to change their rules. They'll never change if customers keep paying the charges.

apoclater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »
I've never had bad experiences with rental cars.  To me they are already where airlines are trying to go--making customers pay for every incremental perk they want.  As long as you "play by the rules" (aka, just have one driver, don't buy insurance--you already have it through a credit card, don't get a GPS you don't need it, fill up the gas tank, etc) you can get an extremely cheap car rental.

In fact, a day rental can be almost cheaper than a cab if you have a corporate discount code.  I paid $40+tax for a day rental at Avis, plus a $2 fill-up.  That took me from San Francisco to Muir Woods and Mt. Tam and then to the airport all in one day.  The cab ride alone would have cost $50 to get from Union Square to the SFO. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »
I think to some degree you get what you pay for.  Sure the bottom-basement places nickel and dime you -- the advertised car price is like a loss-leader for them.

I like Budget, Alamo, and National. 

For Budget, I book online under my free loyalty account, tell the shuttle driver my code and he phones it in.  When I get to the (separate) counter, they have the paperwork ready and I sign.  No questions asked except to see my ID.  The rates seem reasonable.

For Alamo, they have kiosks.  Sure the kiosks ask the same dumb questions about fuel, etc., but you can get through them really quickly, and again with your free loyalty account it already knows your preferences.  The rates are sometimes lower than Budget, sometimes more.

For National, they have the "emerald aisle" where you just pick any car parked in a certain area for the mid-sized rate.  They usually have a good mix including vans and SUVs (although I never need one).  They are a bit more pricey.  Then you just drive the car to the gate, give them your ID, and you leave. 

Maybe because I look like a business traveler they just give up trying to upsell me.  At National, sometimes they just say "you don't need gas or GPS, right?"  But I used to go to Advantage (a Hertz company) to save the $10/day and they were freaking relentless.  So I think the "nicer" places give more heed to your user profile.

Edit:

In fact, a day rental can be almost cheaper than a cab if you have a corporate discount code.  I paid $40+tax for a day rental at Avis, plus a $2 fill-up.  That took me from San Francisco to Muir Woods and Mt. Tam and then to the airport all in one day.  The cab ride alone would have cost $50 to get from Union Square to the SFO. 

Oh yeah, I used to rent a car one-way from Union Station in DC to Dulles when I needed to fly.  It was often like $15-20, whereas a cab or shuttle was $30-$50.  And I had use of the car for a day if I needed groceries or whatever (I didn't have a car).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:19:43 PM by dragoncar »

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »
They'll never change if customers keep paying the charges.

So true, so very true.

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »
Around here, Enterprise has started renting cars with less than full gas tanks. They note the amount of gas on the rental contract, and you have to return it with at least that much gas. It's really frustrating since sometimes the cars are nearly empty, so you have to fill up right away, and you have to estimate how much gas you will use.

I've found a way to get back at them (though it only really affects the next renter) when the tank does need to be full... When you go to fill the tank, turn the car off, but then turn the ignition back to the on position. In most cars, the gas gauge will work, and you can watch the needle as you fill up. Stop when the needle indicates full, but before the pump clicks off. It's best to slow down as you approach full since there is some delay in the needle movement (so it doesn't fluctuate as the gas sloshes around in the tank when you drive). You could save as much as a gallon of gas this way, and as long as the needle indicated full they won't charge you. Sure, the next person gets less gas, but I don't feel bad about doing this for this particular Enterprise location because for all I know they are siphoning excess gas out of their fleet into their personal vehicles.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
Around here, Enterprise has started renting cars with less than full gas tanks. They note the amount of gas on the rental contract, and you have to return it with at least that much gas. It's really frustrating since sometimes the cars are nearly empty, so you have to fill up right away, and you have to estimate how much gas you will use.

I've found a way to get back at them (though it only really affects the next renter) when the tank does need to be full... When you go to fill the tank, turn the car off, but then turn the ignition back to the on position. In most cars, the gas gauge will work, and you can watch the needle as you fill up. Stop when the needle indicates full, but before the pump clicks off. It's best to slow down as you approach full since there is some delay in the needle movement (so it doesn't fluctuate as the gas sloshes around in the tank when you drive). You could save as much as a gallon of gas this way, and as long as the needle indicated full they won't charge you. Sure, the next person gets less gas, but I don't feel bad about doing this for this particular Enterprise location because for all I know they are siphoning excess gas out of their fleet into their personal vehicles.

I always thought it would be hilarious to prepay for the tank and then siphon every last drop out when you return it.  Even more fun going through security afterwards.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »
I've never had bad experiences with rental cars.  To me they are already where airlines are trying to go--making customers pay for every incremental perk they want.  As long as you "play by the rules" (aka, just have one driver, don't buy insurance--you already have it through a credit card, don't get a GPS you don't need it, fill up the gas tank, etc) you can get an extremely cheap car rental.

I never had a problem until they forced charges from toll transponders. We can thank American Traffic Solutions for that! They know a cash cow when they see it.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 04:25:28 AM »
Everyone should know that all airport rental centers are run by agents who work on commission.  They typically get 15% of whatever they sell you.  The do very well with foreign travelers so be extra wary at international airports.

Most of the rental companies have free frequent renter programs, so join them all.  This normally allows you to skip the line at Avis, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty, etc.  Use Kayak and Orbitz to find the cheapest rates. I have also bid on Priceline and still bypassed the line at the rental center.

You should also know prices fluctuate wildly by agency, location, vehicle, and day.  Avis and Hertz are generally highest.  And by highest, this can be by a factor of 3-5x. 

For example, I am renting a convertible (cheapest vehicle you can rent in that market, by the way, but also my preference, especially the Camaro) in the Bay area in April.   At Hertz SFO, the rate is $584/wk.  Thrifty at OAK is $150/wk.  Huge difference.  I prefer to use SFO as am flying through there, but for the price difference I will use OAK and BART.

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 06:01:58 AM »
A few years back I had a bad rental experience. I went to a conference at Google in Mountain View. Conference was over on a Friday and my friends from the conference & I were all flying out on the Sunday. We decided we would rent a convertible for a day and drive to San Francisco etc.   A couple blocks from my hotel was an Enterprise franchise. We went in on the Saturday morning and said we needed the car for one day. They noted that as a small franchise they weren't open on Sunday --- I asked if they had a key drop so I could return it when they were closed. The agent suggested that instead I could just leave the car at the hotel, leaving the keys at the front desk. She said they did that all the time as the hotel was so close & many of there customers (pick-ups & drop-offs) stayed there. I agreed and put the rental on my card. We had a great drive. The next day I parked the car in the front parking lot of the hotel & dropped off the keys with the reception desk. I flew home to Canada.

About two weeks later I received a call in Canada from the manager at Enterprise. "Where's our car? It was supposed to be a one-day rental but you've had it for two weeks". I told them it must be at the Hotel just as we agreed. They said "we would never agree to such a thing". I suggested they speak to the agent who rented to us. They claimed they didn't know which agent had done the paperwork. While on the phone with them they called over to the hotel and confirmed the car was there. They insisted I owed them something like $1,600. (I don't remember the exact amount).

I argued it was their mistake but they wouldn't budge. Eventually they said they could escalate the disagreement to Enterprise's regional (California) office. A short time later I received a call from that office. She explained the franchisee claimed none of their four or five agents remembered doing the transaction. I pointed out it probably isn't everyday that a joking group of two Canadians, a short Irish guy & a Hungarian come in and rent a convertible. The short Irish guy spent 20-minutes flirting with the agent  -- she had to remember that. I explained that they would find the car had very low milage as it had only been used the one day and not the two weeks. I faxed her a copy of my boarding pass that showed I left California on the Sunday. I noted it didn't make sense that I'd just abandon the car at the hotel. I insisted I left it there because I was told to. She called the hotel and the clerk confirmed she had the keys in her desk & had thought about calling Enterprise but had forgotten. With all these facts the regional office decided in my favor. They noted to me that the regional office had agreed to pay their franchisee the full amount as that franchisee would accept no blame. I agreed to still pay for the one day rental as that's what my friends and I used.

In conclusion I note that the person I dealt with at the regional office was professional and pleasant to deal with. We discussed the situation without arguing.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 05:10:35 PM »
I love Enterprise. They treat me well. I go out of my way to use them.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »
I've only rented once and it was probably the easiest thing I've ever done. I paid something laughable like $20/day for 3 days and was in and out really quickly. I was under 25 and didn't even get charged the fee. Clean, brand new car to boot. Enterprise.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »
A few years back I had a bad rental experience. I went to a conference at Google in Mountain View. Conference was over on a Friday and my friends from the conference & I were all flying out on the Sunday. We decided we would rent a convertible for a day and drive to San Francisco etc.   A couple blocks from my hotel was an Enterprise franchise. We went in on the Saturday morning and said we needed the car for one day. They noted that as a small franchise they weren't open on Sunday --- I asked if they had a key drop so I could return it when they were closed. The agent suggested that instead I could just leave the car at the hotel, leaving the keys at the front desk. She said they did that all the time as the hotel was so close & many of there customers (pick-ups & drop-offs) stayed there. I agreed and put the rental on my card. We had a great drive. The next day I parked the car in the front parking lot of the hotel & dropped off the keys with the reception desk. I flew home to Canada.

About two weeks later I received a call in Canada from the manager at Enterprise. "Where's our car? It was supposed to be a one-day rental but you've had it for two weeks". I told them it must be at the Hotel just as we agreed. They said "we would never agree to such a thing". I suggested they speak to the agent who rented to us. They claimed they didn't know which agent had done the paperwork. While on the phone with them they called over to the hotel and confirmed the car was there. They insisted I owed them something like $1,600. (I don't remember the exact amount).

I argued it was their mistake but they wouldn't budge. Eventually they said they could escalate the disagreement to Enterprise's regional (California) office. A short time later I received a call from that office. She explained the franchisee claimed none of their four or five agents remembered doing the transaction. I pointed out it probably isn't everyday that a joking group of two Canadians, a short Irish guy & a Hungarian come in and rent a convertible. The short Irish guy spent 20-minutes flirting with the agent  -- she had to remember that. I explained that they would find the car had very low milage as it had only been used the one day and not the two weeks. I faxed her a copy of my boarding pass that showed I left California on the Sunday. I noted it didn't make sense that I'd just abandon the car at the hotel. I insisted I left it there because I was told to. She called the hotel and the clerk confirmed she had the keys in her desk & had thought about calling Enterprise but had forgotten. With all these facts the regional office decided in my favor. They noted to me that the regional office had agreed to pay their franchisee the full amount as that franchisee would accept no blame. I agreed to still pay for the one day rental as that's what my friends and I used.

In conclusion I note that the person I dealt with at the regional office was professional and pleasant to deal with. We discussed the situation without arguing.

This is where you needed to have taken a photo of the car in the hotel carpark when you left it there, and then emailed Enterprise same day to say "car left in hotel as agreed at xx pm, keys with front desk".

Also taking the pics prevents them from saying you're responsible for any dings that may have magically occurred afterwards.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »
I have done a lot of car rental while travelling I tend to pick a couple companies and stick with them. They may not be the cheapest every time, but I know them and how they work so I get the most out of them for the least hassle each time.

I have a loyalty card that has all my preferences noted. I get off the bus at the rental lot pick my own car from whichever cost class I selected online. I put my luggage in it and drive away. I don't speak to a human unless something seems wrong.

When I come back I drop it off, get the QR code scanned, a receipt printed [in the lot] and walk away. It's paid on my CC and I just scan the receipt to make sure the number jives with what I was expecting.

Zero stress.

-- Vik