Author Topic: Why did my taxes increase?  (Read 2292 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
Why did my taxes increase?
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:24:27 AM »
I just noticed my net pay was lower this check, and looked at my stub to discover my taxes had increased--Fed, state, and Medicare. My coworkers' checks weren't affected (the few I've checked with, anyway). Anyone have any ideas? We've had a lot of turnover around here, so I need to figure out who to ask within the company. Just thought someone around here might have some insight.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Why did my taxes increase?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:02:15 AM »
A couple things.

First and foremost, you're talking about tax withholding , not your actual tax bill. If there was some mistake made at payroll, don't worry about it. It will all be corrected when you file your taxes and you get your target audience refund (or if you've underwithheld, pay your bill)

Second, have you changed your withholding settings recently (W4 for federal). Though this shouldn't affect Medicare withholding so let's go on to the third point.

Third, did you earn more this paycheck compared to previous paychecks? And comparing with your coworkers isn't really a valid comparison because their withholding settings can be different from yours.

If we really want to hash this out post your gross pay and tax withholding from this paycheck and a typical one.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 07:55:36 AM »
A couple things.

First and foremost, you're talking about tax withholding , not your actual tax bill. If there was some mistake made at payroll, don't worry about it. It will all be corrected when you file your taxes and you get your target audience refund (or if you've underwithheld, pay your bill)

Second, have you changed your withholding settings recently (W4 for federal). Though this shouldn't affect Medicare withholding so let's go on to the third point.

Third, did you earn more this paycheck compared to previous paychecks? And comparing with your coworkers isn't really a valid comparison because their withholding settings can be different from yours.

If we really want to hash this out post your gross pay and tax withholding from this paycheck and a typical one.

Thanks for the insight. I actually started to pull up my stubs to post, and realized my last paycheck was actually MORE than the past few, so apparently they hadn't withheld enough out of that one. This paycheck is on par with the two prior. (which had recently been reduced due to an increase in health ins effective July 1. My brain apparently hadn't adjusted to this new net pay.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 10:28:48 AM »
A couple things.

Thanks for the insight. I actually started to pull up my stubs to post, and realized my last paycheck was actually MORE than the past few, so apparently they hadn't withheld enough out of that one. This paycheck is on par with the two prior. (which had recently been reduced due to an increase in health ins effective July 1. My brain apparently hadn't adjusted to this new net pay.

Haha glad we resolved that one!