Author Topic: Why Are You Still HERE?  (Read 14687 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
Why Are You Still HERE?
« on: September 24, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »
Yeah, provocative subject header, but I hope you stopped to think more widely than just diving right into this....

...if you didn't, or even if you did, the specifics of my question (and not maybe the better questions around being on the Earth, or being on MMM vs. all the thousands of fora...) is still pretty meaty.  Unless you're a vegetarian;  then it's just weighty.  Unless you're a small planet-arian;  then...

...so, OK, all I'm wondering about is why you are hangin' around MMM's Forum vs. ERE's, E-R.org's, or Boglehead's?

I'll admit, I struggle to fit in here, although I'm close to the right demographic.  E-R.org are older folks, but probably pretty close to my best fit.  Bogleheads are older and more focused on Vanguard and draw-down vs. general life issues.  ERE is just great to lurk, but I'm not at all ERE now that I have 2 kids and a more serious investment portfolio (not gonna' lie)....

So I keep ending up here, and I mostly enjoy it, because that's how MMM is - footloose and still makin' money anyway, fo sho, but it's like the end of the Ferris Bueller movie.  "It's over, why are you still here?  Go Home."  And this forum is as close to home as it gets for me.

I wonder what Home is for Mustachians after FI, is this it for everybody?  The flexibility of this place certainly makes it possible.

I'll start off with - home is still working at my job that I now enjoy, and taking whatever time I need to take to work on my relationship with my wife and kids.  That's become my home - having the status quo of my reduced income, our budget, but more fun in the margins.  And it will most likely lead to lots of fun in the future, but we have about 6 years of this (before college), so this forum is the best fit for me, methinks...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:17:44 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

MBot

• Pencil Stache
Re: Why Are You Still HERE?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »
Because of the "through badassity" part of the forums line.

And at this point, it's what I can control.

I can't do a great deal to increase my income (pretty badass and optimized already), but side hustles can be controlled.
I don't have to focus on debt payoff the same way as early days when stuff like Dave Ramsey helped
I'm not focused on doing too much active with investments besides pouring more % into them.

I can do a heckuva lot to be more badass, reduce costs and enjoy life. That's what this is great for here. And the inspiration here for relentless lifestyle optimization (added value as well as reducing costs) is pretty inspiring vs. a few of the other sites' focus.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
The only site I ever visited was bogleheads for advice. I found out about FI through MMM. ERE is likely too extreme for me, ER.org from what I have read here is too conservative and bogleheads is for investing advice. I can get my all kinds of advice from MMM and it is less extreme then ERE and more extreme then ER.org. Good middle of the road.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 11:27:18 PM »
To talk

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:44:04 AM »
cos there's nothing else on the internet...

the NSA gubbmint people who snoop on citizens would be so disappointed with my browsing history:

- MMM forum
- a Stockmarket forum
- a Property forum
- www.abc.net.au/news
- /r/tifu and /r/todayilearned

oh and that fucking "f" one that I keep trying to leave but if I do then I won't be able to communicate with anyone because nobody talks to anyone anymore they just post on F.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 03:32:19 AM »
I'm FIREd, but during my time here I've either been a carer or recovering from bereavement and being a carer, and now dealing with two estates, so the forum has fit in beautifully with my lifestyle.

Also, my work was based around solving problems and giving advice.  I quite liked those aspects of it, so this is a great place to be nosy about other people's lives and give advice according to my own inclinations.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 06:28:35 AM »
Coz I like it here.

Like many others I suspect: I'm not frugal or radical enough for ERE, ER.org seem to be aiming a bit higher in numbers and generally more "well to do", although age wise I would probably fit in more there, and I'm interested in a wider range of topics than just Bogleheads investing.

I've been on a couple of other non-related forums and did not feel at home like I do here. (probably its the INTJ thing)  I enjoy being with like minded people since they are hard to find IRL.

And frequent interaction here keeps my dream alive and me focused.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:38:58 AM »
It's a nice sense of community.  Most people in their 20s don't know what a 401k is or if they do, they don't understand the importance of it (and what being financially responsible means).  I can't talk about this much in real life, so it's nice to have a place to go and talk openly about money and be understood.

QuirkyNurse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 06:42:09 AM »
I think that MMM is a great middle ground between all of these threads. I make decent middle class cash, but I'm not a major investor (yet!), nor am I quite ready to live an ERE type lifestyle.

I still want to know where I can cut my spending, and this place is a great resource for how to fix your bike, make a meal plan, make a good cup of coffee at home, and find sources of entertainment beside cable television.

I am not scraping by, but I also don't have massive amounts of cash just laying around, and I think this site has a lot of good information for the likes of me.

Plus, none of my co-workers/friends/family like discussing money, so I gotta come here to get all my thoughts and ideas and yammerings out. You guys are the friendliest!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 07:10:02 AM »
Thanks for all of the interesting and varied responses!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 07:36:19 AM »
A place to share and receive advice, encouragement, motivation, ideas, etc.

Oh and a place to share a financial snapshot/journal since I have no one IRL to do so with =D

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 07:37:52 AM »
A couple reasons:

(1) The level of discourse here is pretty darn intelligent.  I'd say the only more sophisticated forum I usually go to is Bogleheads, but that's so investment heavy.  I think MMM is a good middle ground--just this week I've seen threads about rolling over 401k, how a mom is considering becoming a SAHM (probably relevant for my GF in the future), good tips for making cheap lunches, etc.

(2) More importantly, I think the people here are a constant reminder that I can do more with less. My day begins with driving to work and parking next to partner's BMWs and Mercedes.  Then the partners go to lunch every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. They all live in very expensive (i.e., like $600,000 homes in our area, which is out of this world big). And then I leave work only to come home and see TV ads about all these things I NEED.  I'm basically constantly bombarded with excess and lifestyle inflation.

But then I come here, and the people here are pretty great at reassuring me that my 2007 Ford Focus with 84,000 miles is perfectly fine. My dress shirts and ties from the Brooks Brothers outlet are quite alright. My goal to spend zero money Monday-Friday is worthwhile. On and on.

For a more recent example, I just purchased an 1,100 square foot home (pending inspection/appraisal/financing), and aside from congratulations, every single person has told me, "You'll grow out of it." When I tell them that's not the plan and that we intend to put a master suite in the basement (it's already finished minus an unfinished bathroom and bedroom), they laugh at me and say "Oh no, trust us. You'll become partner and want a bigger house." The conversation ends with me a bit flustered.

But then I come here and realize an efficient 1,100 square foot home (with a finished basement) is perfectly fine. It's all I will need--only I can judge that.

Bottom line is that MMM provides a different perspective from what I see in other online communities and in real life as well.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 07:41:25 AM »
I like reading MMM more because it doesn't make me feel like complete shit when I read case studies and I feel like I can potentially provide value to somebody.

For example, BH = " Hey guys, young couple in Mid 20's (25 yo), we have a bit of an issue, we make $500k yearly, max out every tax advantage account, we have a retirement account north of $1MM, can we afford to buy a new Ford?"

Boglehead = typically extremely wealthy, extremely high income, lot of Northeast/CA people with $1MM+ homes, older folks, Vanguard, Vanguard, Vanguard (which I agree with and use).

MMM = Some wealthy, some poor, mostly middle class, down to earth people, sometimes a bit insane on frugality, younger folks, anywhere in the country.  Also, crazy when it comes to % of your food is meat to rice and beans.

I read both of them to help me make a better educated decision.  Guess you can say I am a bit jelly, however, MMM gives me hope in this world. Like the poster above me said, MMM has more real world discussions, Boglehead has more investment talk.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:49:32 AM by Easye418 »

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »
ERE seems like it is not intended for an adventurous person.

On here people travel and have hobbies.

I don't get on bogleheads because I don't want to know what the market is doing. I have auto-deposits and auto-rebalance. I'll check once or twice per year.

Hank Sinatra

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 09:15:06 AM »
I've only been here for a relatively short time but it seems something like the neighborhood I grew up in. Pretty regular people. All kinds. Some quite well off, some making do with much less, (but obviously no actual poor people)

ER.org and BH: Whiny, angry, previously overpaid  multi millionaires who know nothing but a "There's always more where that  came from" world and brag about how frugal they are.

Ok maybe a bit of  caricature. There were some normal people at ER.org.  As soeone else said BH's talk almost exclusively of "money techniques" and not so much "lifestyle". Here  (and at ER.org too) it's not always all about the money.

Yeah, provocative subject header, but I hope you stopped to think more widely than just diving right into this....

...if you didn't, or even if you did, the specifics of my question (and not maybe the better questions around being on the Earth, or being on MMM vs. all the thousands of fora...) is still pretty meaty.  Unless you're a vegetarian;  then it's just weighty.  Unless you're a small planet-arian;  then...

...so, OK, all I'm wondering about is why you are hangin' around MMM's Forum vs. ERE's, E-R.org's, or Boglehead's?

I'll admit, I struggle to fit in here, although I'm close to the right demographic.  E-R.org are older folks, but probably pretty close to my best fit.  Bogleheads are older and more focused on Vanguard and draw-down vs. general life issues.  ERE is just great to lurk, but I'm not at all ERE now that I have 2 kids and a more serious investment portfolio (not gonna' lie)....

So I keep ending up here, and I mostly enjoy it, because that's how MMM is - footloose and still makin' money anyway, fo sho, but it's like the end of the Ferris Bueller movie.  "It's over, why are you still here?  Go Home."  And this forum is as close to home as it gets for me.

I wonder what Home is for Mustachians after FI, is this it for everybody?  The flexibility of this place certainly makes it possible.

I'll start off with - home is still working at my job that I now enjoy, and taking whatever time I need to take to work on my relationship with my wife and kids.  That's become my home - having the status quo of my reduced income, our budget, but more fun in the margins.  And it will most likely lead to lots of fun in the future, but we have about 6 years of this (before college), so this forum is the best fit for me, methinks...

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »
I pop over here to listen in and occasionally answer/contribute if I think I can advance the thread/OP.  It is an interesting forum to read.

Mostly go to BH's "Personal Finance Not Investing" subforum, and ER.org, but this site helps keep me a bit more tethered to reality, gives me a chance to contribute, and occasionally gives me some information that is useful to us, and more commonly, to our 20-something children.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »
I like reading MMM more because it doesn't make me feel like complete shit when I read case studies and I feel like I can potentially provide value to somebody.

For example, BH = " Hey guys, young couple in Mid 20's (25 yo), we have a bit of an issue, we make $500k yearly, max out every tax advantage account, we have a retirement account north of $1MM, can we afford to buy a new Ford?"

Boglehead = typically extremely wealthy, extremely high income, lot of Northeast/CA people with $1MM+ homes, older folks, Vanguard, Vanguard, Vanguard (which I agree with and use).

MMM = Some wealthy, some poor, mostly middle class, down to earth people, sometimes a bit insane on frugality, younger folks, anywhere in the country.  Also, crazy when it comes to % of your food is meat to rice and beans.

I read both of them to help me make a better educated decision.  Guess you can say I am a bit jelly, however, MMM gives me hope in this world. Like the poster above me said, MMM has more real world discussions, Boglehead has more investment talk.

Haha. Perfect assessment. I lean more towards being a BH then being a MMMer. But I take what I want and leave the rest.  You can learn something anywhere you look.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 09:51:08 AM »
MMM is a social outlet, in addition to an informational one. I feel like I connect with people on here, not merely discuss things.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »
The vulnerability.  People divulge their biggest secrets and struggles here; taboos like money, sex, personal conflict and self doubt are shared openly in the case studies and journals.  Best of all, these posts are usually met with honest listening, feedback and care. 

I struggle to find a local tribe IRL, but I don't worry about that here.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »
I like it here because this forum motivates me in an interesting way.  For example, if I wasn't coming here regularly, I don't know if I would keep tracking my expenses.  Having the financial goals that I developed through participating in this forum has changed my life (and my husband's via osmosis) for the better too.  I learned that I was frittering away my money and stopped doing it.  For the last 2 years I've been putting a third of my income in my RRSP but next year I won't invest as much and God willing, we'll take a package trip to Europe.  Probably go to two European capitals.  I thought I just didn't make enough money to travel, but the truth was I was wasting too much.     

Also I hear about other websites that appeal to me.  Budget bytes is excellent.  I've gotten many recipes from this one that both my husband and I really like.  Also, I recently came across the website for King Arthur's Flour and pulled a few scone recipes off of it.    I am looking forward to making some this weekend.   

Until I joined up here I wasn't a member of any internet forum and I've been here for 2+ years.   

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 10:48:58 AM »

Haha. Perfect assessment. I lean more towards being a BH then being a MMMer. But I take what I want and leave the rest.  You can learn something anywhere you look.

+1.  Exactly the same way here too.

My favorite thread was "DH is retiring.  Are we going to eat dog food?!" (something like that) and in the OP post, she said "we have retirement account valued near $3MM".  My jaw hit the floor.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 11:03:15 AM »
I agree that the vulnerability shown here is amazing and utterly fascinating to me. Maybe I am a voyeur at heart or have reached the age where I live vicariously through others:)
Oh those case studies:)....

It's entertaining, informative, keeps me grounded and on track - forummm's monthly challenges entice me to improve my monthly budget.
MMM provides motivation and new ideas to optimize - I still have a long way to go there.
I do credit MMM with helping me stick to my goals and making it all happen much sooner. 

I plan to hang out on bogleheads more as I am slowly learning about investing, don't know what BH is? and have never been to E-R.org, yet. 

MMM feels good, sort of like my home on the www. Love all the cool links to articles and other blogs incl the recipes:) to the point where now I may need to reign myself in a bit.

I am definitely not the target audience, already retired, but I came here looking for info for DHs "early" (so not) retirement. So I'll be here awhile:)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »
ERE is a little too close to the tinfoil hat brigade for my liking.

I will probably leave MMM within 3 or 4 years.  I absorb almost every single crumb of a subject over a long period, so that it is an engrained as riding a bike, and then I don't need it much anymore.  I won't slide down a slope without constant reinforcement.  Once a subject is not only learned but it IS now me, there's not much point going on about it.  It's like playing guitar.  Sure you can always get better, but there's a point where you don't really need lessons anymore, you're comfortable with your skill level, like the way you play, and that's enough.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 01:05:28 PM »
Every time a post on Bogleheads starts to interest me it gets locked down because it went off-topic.

I like the foam in these parts.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
I like being in an online community where there are plenty of people who aren't just like me in many ways, but are a lot like me in others. I like to learn, and hope to teach when I can. And I really like the generally positive and constructive tone on here.

My other regular online haunt is Flyertalk, where I continue to learn stuff but find the tone is much less constructive.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »
I'm a slow learner.  Or I'm chicken.  Or both. 

I think that if I changed a few spendy habits and moved, I could probably be retired now.  But I'm not yet willing to move.  Hearing from some of the more daring and adventurous people in the group about their wonderful travels is not only fun, but motivating.  I may start to believe that I can do it too.   

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »
Every time a post on Bogleheads starts to interest me it gets locked down because it went off-topic.

This is my exact experience as well

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »
I like it here.  The place is so busy I can't really keep up (not willing to spend the time) so I generally just read the last page of posts in the sub-forums that interest me.  I do keep up on ERE after joining it fairly recently.  I am a forum junky though, and am on many.  Most are dedicated to gearhead stuff:  old Toyota pickups, old British motorcycles, old BMW motorcycles, and old (!) Honda Insights. 

Oh, and bicycles!

http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
I like it here.  The place is so busy I can't really keep up

Yes! There was a time when I could read everything... I'd click the unread posts and there'd only be about 25 threads overnight.

Now there's usually 250+.... can only see it as a good thing!

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 08:53:34 PM »

This. Every time I ignore a thread that's been on the front page for weeks, I regret it. The discussion usually encompasses so much more than the thread title.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 10:50:17 PM »
This forum and MMM have a lot that I aspire to lifestyle wise.  I like to challenge myself to constantly be a better person, and to be a little more self-sufficient every day.

I do my own thing investing, and I find most of the investing topics (and Bogleheads) boring.  Maybe it's because I work in finance.  It's a bunch of arguing over esoteric finance theories where the difference between right and wrong is within the margin of error for random chance.

ERE never spoke to me.  I'm not sure why. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
A couple reasons:

(1) The level of discourse here is pretty darn intelligent.  I'd say the only more sophisticated forum I usually go to is Bogleheads, but that's so investment heavy.  I think MMM is a good middle ground--just this week I've seen threads about rolling over 401k, how a mom is considering becoming a SAHM (probably relevant for my GF in the future), good tips for making cheap lunches, etc.

(2) More importantly, I think the people here are a constant reminder that I can do more with less. My day begins with driving to work and parking next to partner's BMWs and Mercedes.  Then the partners go to lunch every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. They all live in very expensive (i.e., like $600,000 homes in our area, which is out of this world big). And then I leave work only to come home and see TV ads about all these things I NEED.  I'm basically constantly bombarded with excess and lifestyle inflation.

But then I come here, and the people here are pretty great at reassuring me that my 2007 Ford Focus with 84,000 miles is perfectly fine. My dress shirts and ties from the Brooks Brothers outlet are quite alright. My goal to spend zero money Monday-Friday is worthwhile. On and on.

For a more recent example, I just purchased an 1,100 square foot home (pending inspection/appraisal/financing), and aside from congratulations, every single person has told me, "You'll grow out of it." When I tell them that's not the plan and that we intend to put a master suite in the basement (it's already finished minus an unfinished bathroom and bedroom), they laugh at me and say "Oh no, trust us. You'll become partner and want a bigger house." The conversation ends with me a bit flustered.

But then I come here and realize an efficient 1,100 square foot home (with a finished basement) is perfectly fine. It's all I will need--only I can judge that.

Bottom line is that MMM provides a different perspective from what I see in other online communities and in real life as well.

Once you have that master suite in the basement, your house will have more living space than we do (at ~1700sf, no basement) - and this is a luxurious house for 3 people. Frankly, we should dump half the stuff we have accumulated.  I don't want a bigger house now that we have a kid. I just want to have less crap in the house we do have (a lot of the crap accumulation is my fault, though MrsTX is more of a hoarder than I am...)

Since my commuter car is a '95 Saturn SL1 with 265k miles on it and nonworking AC (in Texas) - I'm jealous of your Focus ;) My dress shirts (which I actually wore to a conference this week) were 75-95% off @ Dillards or similar department store.

Why am I still here? As others have said: MMM is a good middle ground.

Bogleheads is good for deep dives into investing - but they go WAY overboard on the "Race to teh 100% SAFE Safe Withdrawal Rate." 3% is too high for most of them, and 4% is considered insane. Bogleheads are also full of the problems of the 1%, which I'm not.  They would rather keep working til 65 drawing $300k salaries and get down to a sub 2% WR, not counting Social Security or pensions.

ERE is just too extreme. I want some nice luxuries too!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:38:28 AM by TomTX »

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
Kind of like TomTX said, I think of MMM as a middle ground. I do have accounts at BH and ER.org, but this forum is where I actually participate. Why? Because people are so damn helpful. I've never seen a more helpful bunch of folks on the internet.

And the percentage of assholes is super low, which I appreciate, being a "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" kind of person.

We're not a typical MMM family, I don't think. But despite that, I have felt nothing but welcome here, and because frugality is NOT my natural bent, I keep coming here for the reinforcement and counterbalance to the "buy more to be more" message I hear elsewhere.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »
Kind of like TomTX said, I think of MMM as a middle ground. I do have accounts at BH and ER.org, but this forum is where I actually participate. Why? Because people are so damn helpful. I've never seen a more helpful bunch of folks on the internet.

And the percentage of assholes is super low, which I appreciate, being a "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" kind of person.

We're not a typical MMM family, I don't think. But despite that, I have felt nothing but welcome here, and because frugality is NOT my natural bent, I keep coming here for the reinforcement and counterbalance to the "buy more to be more" message I hear elsewhere.

+1 to this.  I've never been involved on an internet forum but I suspect (from what I have seen in "Comments" sections of other blogs) that many aren't as civil.  This is a community and we work together.  I know people put thought into their comments. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2015, 12:57:19 PM »
I'm still here in order to read EscapeVelocity2020's posts (among other favorites).

I don't post anywhere else and this is as good of an online time suck as any, if not better. Some things I probably wouldn't have tried without this forum:

- Sleep in my car for a couple of nights when work required early morning meetings. I hate mornings and commuting during rush hour traffic.

- Stay at a hostel - I might have tried it but the situation hadn't arose. I probably would have avoided taking a trip alone as it would cost too much to get a room in a regular hotel by myself.

- Travel with a 40L backpack - gonna try it out soon. If it works, it will be a liberating way to travel.

- Use a HELOC to finance buying a new place with cash and then sell my old place and now be mortgage free. I used to think having a mortgage and investing the money was better, but now I prefer peace of mind.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »
Won't be around as much (since I am no longer "Journalling") but as long as this place remains populated by the fascinating characters that seem to abound....well, I cannot LEAVE.

And many here possess knowledge THAT I WANT - I will gladly continue to leech information and wisdom from these fine folks. ;)

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »
I am here to learn.  MMM and this forum have really shown me a lot of options that I didn't know existed.  They have expanded my repertoire of money techniques greatly.  Plus, it's a great community!  People here are generally welcoming and polite and helpful.  It just 'feels' like home.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2015, 05:54:16 PM »
I feel like many of us must have similar personalities.  I've been on other forums but really feel like I can relate to so many more people here.  It helps me not feel so alone in my efforts toward FIRE to spend time on this forum.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2015, 08:27:06 PM »
I'm still here in order to read EscapeVelocity2020's posts (among other favorites).

And getting encouragement and inspiration from the diversity of fine folks that seem to otherwise be spread a little too thinly around IRL is a pretty nifty and somewhat unique quality of this forum.  Thanks for the kind words Daisy 

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2015, 08:53:51 PM »
I don't have any experience from other ERE sites. Honestly, the forum is just really interesting. MMM helped turn my money into a sort-of hobby, and I like to share my hobbies with others. I don't know anyone offline who also gives a fuck about their savings rate and how to increase it.

The people are also really nice and very helpful, but they are not afraid to give a face punch or two when needed.

There's also just some great off-topic/on-topic threads, like the 'Overheard at Work' thread. I also just found out where to buy sheets for my bed.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »
A couple reasons:

+This -- and kudos and thanks for the unintended encouragement, RSM.  We recently upgraded to being a single-car family (from two - I consider this a huge upgrade, because it's one less large piece of metal to maintain), and the car we chose to keep was our 2007 ford focus.

We're spending the year living in the bay area, and found a 1050 square foot home (no basement) to live in, and it's really quite awesome how well it works for us, at least in the short term.  ("us" is two full-time working adults and a toddler.)  It's been very educational about the hidden costs of having a larger home, and we're very happy with what we have.  Ok, ok, if I weren't renting, I'd redo the kitchen to get a lot more cabinet space and make it so we didn't have to have a portable dishwasher in the garage (it's attached and connects into the kitchen).  But the volume of space is surprisingly livable as long as we're careful about not buying crap we don't need.  If the space were used more efficiently, we could live in it happily for the rest of our lives.

(And - in case it gives you some mental ammo when your partners are being insecure about their own lifestyle choices -- um, I mean, telling you that you'll eventually want the same things they have -- DW & I together probably out-earn the junior partners.  They're depressingly wrong when it comes to understanding how to use their large incomes to make themselves more happy.  A large house, not so much, unless that house lets them be near people they get along well with and make time to spend time with.  But that's buying location, not square feet.  1100 ft^2 in a strong community wins every day.  Financial security and independence outscores a car that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.  I'm sticking with my ford focus.  Unless I can't get that damn power steering fluid leak fixed, but that's another post entirely!)

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2015, 03:35:14 AM »
Like many others, ER is too spendy, ERE too extreme as I have a child. This place fits me at the moment. If I was single and childless, then I'd step into the ERE style of life and call it quits already.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 03:59:13 AM »
Since ERing nearly two years ago, I've been posting less and less here. The reason for this is that I feel like a bit of a fraud because my achievement of FI was more about good luck with my then employment package rather than the badassity that most here have to exhibit to get there. Nonetheless, I enjoy the tone of this forum, reading the posts of others and mixing it up with the Sydney/Canberra crowd whenever the opportunity comes up.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2015, 04:35:14 AM »
I'm fairly new here and don't comment much. I'm here because I'm looking for my tribe and IRL isn't working out that well right now. I've set aims for myself (FI) and like having a place full of people that have similar aims and views on the world. I haven't felt comfortable at BH, ERE or ER.org, this place just fits. I like the way people are ready to call bullshit on things but aren't assholes the way you can get in other places (hello YouTube).

I spend the rest of my forum time on one other place which I'm drifitng out of because the focus is slightly different and the active users seem to be predominantly very religious ones. It isn't that it gets into religious discussions per se, just that the religious aspects of their lives are mentioned so much that I feel a bit alienated there.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 04:47:56 AM »
This forum suits me. Close enough to my own feelings/apathy towards material goods for me to feel comfortable while still leaning over the edge to peer at the "crazies" on more ERE tier planes(and aspire towards their tier of frugality). Close enough to a baseline of weak EMH without every single sentence ending in "Vanguard Vanguard Vanguard"(Other investment strategies are, if not encouraged, at least accepted, including real estate investment and value/dividend individual stock ownership). There are no popular etiquette restrictions on speaking about money, or monetary matters.

A concentrated place of knowledge for me to consult when making or considering possible decisions in the future, such as location, buying land, DIY'ing, expat'ing, and to pre-learn about such matters before I actually have to use any knowledge for a final decision. Especially important is that discussion on these matters comes at it from a Money = Life Energy/time analysis, instead of... well, have you ever gone to a car forum?... Just a completely different mindset and values analysis.

And yet it's still a community, a forum, instead of a subreddit, or an anonymous imageboard. I could go to one of the money related subreddits and see what's up, but I hate the comment threading there, among other issues. An imageboard might contain a board for money discussion, and it can be entertaining, but it doesn't rise to the quality of this place.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:00:05 AM by Khanjar »

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2015, 06:26:53 AM »
Well, you all said it already.  I’m here because the folks here are mostly awesome, knowledgeable, helpful, and inspiring people.  When I stumbled across the MMM blog, the optimism and “can-do” attitude that I found was really transformative.  Our lives didn’t actually change much though until we came on the forum, though, and I got to “meet” real people posting real solutions to problems similar to mine.  It also helps that most people here aren’t exclusively about spending the absolute minimum; they’re looking to optimize enjoyment of life.

Thanks to posts on here, we were brave enough to tile our own floors thanks to a few comments and a few links to some awesome websites.  We’ve also made countless other changes that were inspired by folks here:  DIY haircuts for DH and DD (dear DOG in this case), categorizing grocery spending into nutritional categories, line-drying laundry, credit card churning, etc., etc., etc.

You guys serve as a great inspiration to improve our badassity.  By hanging out with you all and hearing about all the awesome things you do as part of your everyday lives, we are challenged to improve.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
I got started here because I read a MMM post and felt he was particularly gifted at expressing his ideas and that he had something unique to say.

I stay, because I feel like I fit.  I enjoy reading others' stories and taking inspiration from them.  I've read ERE and find it too extreme to put into practice.  But I've gleaned advice here that I've actually used.  My time lurking and posting questions has been well spent.  People are generally respectful and decent.

On a slow day at work I can read and get inspired.  It inspires me to buckle down and make good decisions.  I know I've curtailed spending and increased investing bigtime since coming here.

In particular, even though I am not yet FIRE I've found the information on the ACA for early retirees to be indispensable and far better than anything else I'd read.  I never would have known anything about megabackdoor roth without coming to this site.

Before reading/writing on this site my retirement didn't seem real.  Now I have a date on the calendar and a plan.  This site has helped me put my dream into action.

And it's free!

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »
1.  I'm learning as much as I can.  Some things I know that I need to learn, but a lot of times someone will mention something and I never even knew what I was missing out on! 

2.  I'm here to help people where I can.  I've gotten so much help and information, I feel like I should pay back to others. 

3.  It's nice to have people around who have similar goals.  Even if I never meet with them.  Some of it is just having the opportunity to discuss things, but I also find inspiration from others' experience. 

4.  I'm having fun!  I enjoy the feel of the MMM community.  It's an educated and polite place.  Not everyone has the same opinions, but when disagreements occur, they're usually very civil.  And most people have such great attitudes!  Plus the variety of topics is staggering.