Author Topic: Whole wheat bread in the food processor?  (Read 5447 times)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Whole wheat bread in the food processor?
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »
The title pretty much says it all. I want to make 100% whole wheat bread that will work for sandwiches; I do not have a stand mixer, just a food processor.

So... anyone have a good recipe for this? Chef Google has been no help. I've tried the no-knead whole wheat bread and it's just OK. I'll eat it in a pinch, but Mr. FP won't touch it (too short, too bland--there is no fat in it). Additional caveats:

1. The fewer ingredients, the better.
2. We do not like rye or pumpernickel.
3. I generally buy white whole wheat flour, but not whole wheat bread flour.
4. I have toddlers, so the crust can't be too hard or they'll just make a mess.

Thegoblinchief

Re: Whole wheat bread in the food processor?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
I love the 50-50 whole wheat and flax no knead bread I make, so I can't really help you.

If no ready made recipe comes to light, I'd try a standard kneading recipe but cut the kneading time in 1/5 to compensate for the faster speed of a food processor. Keep in mind that depending on the strength of your machine, asking it to knead bread could just kill it.

In general, I haven't found any 100% whole wheat breads that my family likes that much.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
Have you tried a standard whole wheat recipe (out of any cookbook/bread book/ favorite website) made the old fashioned way....hand kneading?  Yes, it takes more hands on time but really not a whole lot more than using a stand mixer and turns out excellent bread.  Also, you may want to investigate recipes that use regular yeas as opposed to quick rise yeast/methods.  The two risings make for a yummy, airy bread.  Learning to knead is not rocket science...I'm sure there is a bazillion you tube videos on it.  Your arms get sore when you first start out, but after a few time you get over that.  Finally, do some reading/research on the 'science' of bread making to learn what it is that makes a bread that you will like then you can modify most any recipe you run across to make bread 'you' love.  Oh, and if you take the bread out of the pans as soon as they cool enough to handle and rub all surfaces with butter or coconut oil they crusts stay much softer.

Elisabeth

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »
Sourdough! No mixer necessary. Just combine your starter with flour and a pinch of salt. Rye is too dense (flat) unless you cut it with whole wheat anyway.

I do a whole wheat starter, and combined with all purpose einkorn flour. You can combine roughly in a bowl, and then knead on a floured surface.

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
This is The link to the whole wheat bread recipe I used for many years. We loved it. While I used to make it in a bread machine, the recipe specifically mentions the option of using a food processor.The King Arthur site is a treasure trove of great recipes.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe
You can use white whole wheat flour in this in straight up one for one substitution for the regular whole wheat flour just perfectly.

These days, I am using another recipe (no dairy, lower fat because I replace one of the tablespoons of the oil in this recipe with one tablespoon of apple sauce)(I also leave out the seeds ). It is also very good, but Mr FP might not find it as flavorful as the one above.
I now make this recipe
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/100-whole-wheat-bread-for-the-bread-machine-recipe
Hope this helps

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »
Two more thoughts.  Storing the bread in a plastic bag will make the crust softer for the kids. If you have any desire for a breadmachine, they are often found at really good prices at thrift stores. My sister has equipped much of her extended family with bread machines this way.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:21:18 PM »
http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/grandmother-bread-2/

Great sandwich bread. I think it works best half whole wheat and half white flour. YMMV. Makes two loaves, cuts well, freezes well.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »
Ooh, that King Arthur recipe looks just like what I'm looking for--I'll try that first.

Lakemom, I used to knead bread by hand. But now I have two preschooler and standing at my counter for that long just isn't practical!

Maybe I would like the no-knead bread better with flax... would add more fat and texture.